[breakwheel] is going up and over

breakwheel

This last challenge my goals were to get to the gym and focus on fundamental body weight exercises (rows, pushups, pullups, dips), keep my eating clean, and get in the habit of meditating each day. I learned that (for me) making it to the gym is pretty easy at and eating right is the hard part. So I figure with that said I am going to focus primarily on my diet and nutrition and let the strength training continue as it is.

So here we go:

Main Quest: Be way more awesome at the end of tomorrow then I was at the beginning of today.

Quest 1: Leangains.

I'm going to do a leangains bulk aiming to put on .5 lbs a week for 6 weeks. So I will ideally gain 3 lbs over the next six weeks. I am also going to go buy a digital scale and start measuring my macro intake so I have an idea of what I'm eating and can judge how it's working. I will start eating my food in the 8-10 hour window on monday and give myself one week to figure out the macro counting and scale down to an 8 hour eating window. I'm really apathetic about the macro counting but I figure I only have to learn how to do this shit once right.

Quest 2: Keep Gymin' It M-F

Three days a week, bright and early, 8am gym days. I will continue to work the same routine that I have been for the last 2 months adjusting the skills and progressions as needed. The other two days a week I will either do skill work, yoga, or maybe rest.

Quest 3: Read

I've been netflix binging hardcore so I need to get that shit under control. I am going to read at least 10 minutes a day, but hopefully once I turn off the tv shows and get into a book I'll keep going.

Life Quest: The Muscle Up

I need to learn to do this. I don't know if I will be able to learn it in six weeks but I can start to learn more about the progressions and work on the skills and the negatives and everything. Except I did just see that they will be teaching the muscle up at NF camp so maybe that will speed up my skill acquisition.

Motivation: because no one ever got anywhere in life by sitting on their ass.

As for my Gym Routine:

The Routine Breaks down like so:

Warmup (15 min)

Skill Work (30 min)

Strength Work (50 min)

Stretch (10 min)

Warmup: Dynamic Stretches, Jump Rope, Bear Crawls, Wrist Stretching

Skill Work: Handstands and L-sits are my primary focus. I will also start working on my frog stand working up to a tuck planche, front lever, and back lever as secondary skills.

Strength: Rows, Dips, Pushups, and Pull ups. I made great progress the last 6WC but I still have a ways to go. Keep pushing and pulling until I feel comfortable with these. I'm also going to include a variety of squats and work on my deadlift. I've been active on the form check forum to improve my form before increasing weight and that will continue until I get it down.

• Like 2

|| Assassin ||

Challenges : current

first, secondthird

"Some people say it doesn't matter whether you win or lose, only if you have fun. Well...nothing is more fun than winning"

Quest 2: Keep Gymin' It M-F

Three days a week, bright and early, 8am gym days. I will continue to work the same routine that I have been for the last 2 months adjusting the skills and progressions as needed. The other two days a week I will either do skill work, yoga, or maybe rest.

I always love seeing everyone's idea of what early is. As someone who wakes up for work at 5am daily that always makes me chortle. :)

Quest 3: Read

I've been netflix binging hardcore so I need to get that shit under control. I am going to read at least 10 minutes a day, but hopefully once I turn off the tv shows and get into a book I'll keep going.

I hear that. I'm on like my 7th re-watch of The Office. It's just comforting and allows my brain to be shut-off. In our house we implemented a 'productituesday' where we don't watch any tv, netflix, etc. on Tuesdays. It's pretty awesome.

What have you been watching?

Life Quest: The Muscle Up

I need to learn to do this. I don't know if I will be able to learn it in six weeks but I can start to learn more about the progressions and work on the skills and the negatives and everything. Except I did just see that they will be teaching the muscle up at NF camp so maybe that will speed up my skill acquisition.

Since I stalk.... errr follow all of the Assassin's I know that Rpage is working on muscle ups this challenge. And yay for NF camp!

...annnnnd what is a bear claw??? Aside from a delicious doughnut :)

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

Oooh, have fun at camp! I hope the muscle-up progression training is helpful. It's quite the skill to have in your back pocket. ;)

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I always love seeing everyone's idea of what early is. As someone who wakes up for work at 5am daily that always makes me chortle. :)

I hear that. I'm on like my 7th re-watch of The Office. It's just comforting and allows my brain to be shut-off. In our house we implemented a 'productituesday' where we don't watch any tv, netflix, etc. on Tuesdays. It's pretty awesome.

What have you been watching?

Since I stalk.... errr follow all of the Assassin's I know that Rpage is working on muscle ups this challenge. And yay for NF camp!

...annnnnd what is a bear claw??? Aside from a delicious doughnut :)

Damn I love the productivity tuesday idea I might have to steal that from you!! Thanks! I've been watching all kinds of stuff. My favorites lately are The League, House of Cards, and Orange is the New Black. But I finished them all so now I have to find other things..:(

and a bear crawl looks a lot like this. I got it from Gold Medal Bodies (GMB). Basically rather then stretching on the ground or standing I crawl around on the ground and do bear crawl and frog hops and such to losen up my hips/legs and warm up my arms/shoulders. I think it's just more fun :)

• Like 1

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

"Some people say it doesn't matter whether you win or lose, only if you have fun. Well...nothing is more fun than winning"

Hi! I'm gonna stalk a bit since i'm curious about muscle-up progress rates and such. What is your starting point? 

Please stalk all you want! For muscles up we are starting from nothing. I can do pull ups but never worked on the muscle up. I tried to get my shoulders and elbows up over the bar before but it's not happening. Need practice.

• Like 1

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

And thanks to the Assassins' phonebook I've discovered your thread :) In particular, I'm working on-and-off on muscle-ups (at the moment I'm concentrating on glide kips as an easier alternative) so I'm interested to see your progress here. What is your current ability in terms of pull-ups, dips and muscle-up variations?

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

You're working on some cool skills this challenge! Can't wait to see your progress.

Thanks!! You too

And thanks to the Assassins' phonebook I've discovered your thread :) In particular, I'm working on-and-off on muscle-ups (at the moment I'm concentrating on glide kips as an easier alternative) so I'm interested to see your progress here. What is your current ability in terms of pull-ups, dips and muscle-up variations?

For pullups I'm working up to 3 x 8 right now I can usually do about 3 x 8, 5 (+3 negs), 4 (+4 negs) focusing on slow and controlled form trying to eliminate momentum or kicking. Dips I can I go to failure about 4 x 15 10 9 8. Muscle ups we are starting from scratch here. Right now I'm researching form and trying to decide where to start with negatives

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

Reporting in for now:

1. Gym is good times. I may have accidentally been that guy that was adding on more weight then he should and was sacrificing form over numbers during the last couple of weeks, so it's time to take a step back and focus on the fundamentals work my way back up to the numbers I want with proper form. (or maybe I can just go to the session at camp about powerlifting :))

2. I was talking to some people on reddit about leangains and apparently I hadn't done enough of my research as of this weekend so I've been doing lots of reading the last couple of days and I feel good about it. (maybe there will be a session a camp about nutrition and body composition :) )

3. Been using myfitnesspal to track food intake. Day 2 so far so good.

4. I just started a new book, Catch 22. The last 3 books I've tried to finish where all non-fiction technical books and I didn't make it through any of them. So now I will try this novel and I hear it's really good so 10 minutes a day see what happens.

GET IT!?! The blue part is me hinting at my extreme excitement for this weekend.

• Like 1

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

Haha! Hope you have lots and lots of fun at camp :) you'll share the lot right?

You're working with a bar? No rings?

And good for you, taking a step back to work on form. Kudos.

Of course I will share. sharing is caring right?

I'm working with a bar. I do have rings that I got a couple weeks ago set up at my house. Once or twice a week I get on the rings to stretch and practice skill work like levers and such but I don't take them to the gym with me (yet). I've considered it but I haven't taken them up there yet. I feel like I would definitely get some funny looks (but as a rebel we shouldn't concern ourselves with the funny looks of other gym goers)

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

I was just wondering because I've heard that ring muscle-ups are much easier to practice and attain. 

Interesting I hadn't heard that but I guess I never really looked into it. I will have to ask some questions this weekend......

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

Oh snaps! This weekend was amazing! I'm mind blown still adrenaline pumping from all the awesome sauce going around this weekend!

And I'm pretty sure I made more progress this weekend then I would have in 6 months over here on my own. I don't know if I could be happier right now,

So big accomplishments this week:

1. The Muscle Up! YAYAY!

@Mad Hatter and @KB Girl you were both right. Ring muscles ups are easier. Jim from Beast Skills showed me the proper technique to use and helped me out and I did my first muscle up! and then I did a couple more. And that was just friday morning! And he also showed me the progressions and technique to work on the bar muscle up.

2. Handstand practice just became Inversion Training.

Jim taught an inversion class and I learned so much. He should us a couple of different progressions and skills to practice. I did my first headstand and I learned some different ways to practice the handstand on and off the wall. And I learned how to kick up and fall out safely. I was kicking up into my handstand for the first time.

3. New Lifting PRs!

New Squat PR: 235 lb.

Deadlift: 320 lb! :) (That's 2x my bodyweight. I am so pumped!)

AND going to Staci's powerlifting class corrected my form and I felt SO much better when we did the power lifting competition and I hit my new PRs. I still need to keep working on it but I feel 10x more confident about doing the lifts correctly and safely. And I know know my PRs so I can take a look at some of the programming charts we got and set up a schedule to practice my lifts based off my new 1RM.

4. TONS of new things about how to make better decisions on nutrition and workout programming.

Workout programming, gymnastics, tricking session, grip strength, meal planning, nutrition.

5. New Nutrition Goals.

Learned a lot about nutrition.  I had plenty of time to think about my nutrition goals for the challenge. I'm going to switch it u a bit. Focus less on the macros and trying to be too specific and make things more enjoyable. So I'm going to go back to what I was doing last challenge of simply eating 3 healthy meals a day. Keep it simple. Don't make it over complicated.

Then I am going to make a new goal: Cook two new healthy delicious meals a week form a recipe I haven't used before.

Instead of trying to just eat the same thing over and over again worrying about hitting perfect macros I am going to focus on eating healthy and enjoying it. I borrowed a healthy recipe book (Colorado Fit Kitchen) from my sister and my job is to make two full meals (typically feeding 4) on sunday so I have a couple of meals for the week that are new and not just baked chicken and veggies every meal. Then go from there. I think the results of this goal will be much more enjoyable then putting on a few more pounds a little faster. The only thing I need to make sure of is that I eat enough to keep hitting my lift goals. That's the most important part.

6. Being awesome

I'm just generally pretty proud of myself for going. It's not every day I jump on a plane by myself, fly to georgia, go out in the woods with a bunch of strangers and have the time of my life.

So yeah. So pumped. I'm going to spend the next couple of days getting all my notes together and put all the things I learned on paper before I forget anything too important! I'll hit the gym this week with my new moves, eat healthy, and spend the week using my new knowledge to put together a plan for the next four weeks.

• Like 4

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

Sounds like camp was absolutely amazing! Congrats on the muscle ups!!!!

• Like 1

Wisdom 20   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Congrats on the muscle-up! Haha, so great that some instruction can totally revolutionize your expectations in such a short time. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Wow, the camp sounds amazing! Basically all the things you needed to take your activity to the next level, all in one event :)

Do you consider the muscle-up "achieved" then, or do you also want the bar variety? I should definitely try it out on the rings next time I have access to some.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Wow, the camp sounds amazing! Basically all the things you needed to take your activity to the next level, all in one event :)

Do you consider the muscle-up "achieved" then, or do you also want the bar variety? I should definitely try it out on the rings next time I have access to some.

In terms of my goals I would say that I got the muscle up. Going forward though I think it's the beginning

I still want to get a bar muscle up. I got some progressions to work on getting it from camp so I can start working on that. Plus I can work on being able to do sets of muscle ups rather than just a couple. And always improving on form.

• Like 1

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines