[breakwheel] is going up and over

breakwheel

No freaking kidding..  YOU ARE A HERO...  (Note to people who didn't go to camp, you'll hear that a lot from people who went.  Thanks Amy!)

Keep up the good work...

• Like 3

WXStormer - Level 4 Adventurer - Challenges Completed Successfully:  3

Introduction   Challenge Threads:  1 2 3 Failures: 2, 4, 4  Current:4

My Fitness Log:  http://twitter.com/jeffreyfitness (Walks/Activities are Automatically Logged Here) - My Personal Blog
Fitbit Account | MapMyFitness Link | BattleLog | Accountability Post

Camp Nerd Fitness 2014 Comments:  Part 1: Camp Nerd Fitness Post-Mortem     Part 2: The Road Ahead

Progress Goal:
Weight Loss:  

2%
2%

No freaking kidding..  YOU ARE A HERO...  (Note to people who didn't go to camp, you'll hear that a lot from people who went.  Thanks Amy!)

Keep up the good work...

You too!

I never seen such a large group of people get along so great! Bunch of AMAZING people. I'm honored to be able to be a part of it.

• Like 2

|| Assassin ||

Challenges : current

first, secondthird

"Some people say it doesn't matter whether you win or lose, only if you have fun. Well...nothing is more fun than winning"

I loved Jim SO MUCH! thank you for the link to his facebook page. Yesterday I was working on grip strength stuff I learned from him. And my quads JUST TODAY stopped hating him from the Powerlifting class on FRIDAY. My calves, however, still don't love him.

Subbed to see how it goes. I'm glad you were able to get so much progress so soon! Sounds like you are well on your way to being a badass.

• Like 2

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

oh hai! congrats on your muscle up!

PLUS

your challenge has lots of cool bodyweight stuff in it. I can't wait to learn more.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Well holy shit peoples. In my head I've been planning to come write up all my notes from camp and update everyone on my progress and be a good resource for anyone who missed anything over the weekend but I was so busy this weekend I haven't even hit my keyboard till now. So sadly I still have no notes typed up from this weekend. Hopefully this week.

As for my 6 week challenge here's the update:

1. Nutrition (that's goal number 1's new name)

So I scratched the leangains from my original goal all together. Now I'm going with 3 healthy meals a day, track it with the My Fitness Pal app, and make two new recipes a week. I need to branch out from my sauteed veggies with chicken rut. Sunday I went to the store and got a bunch of food. I've got three new recipes, two I tried and one getting ready for the crockpot in the morning.

Roasted Roots

Ingredients:

red potatoes, baby carrots, an onion, and some radishes (radishes was a new ingredient for me)

Directions:

Chop that shit up, put it in a mixing bowl, olive oil, salt, pepper, stir, bake on 400 for about 30 - 40 minutes.

Results:

This was super easy and now I have a new recipe, I've cooked a new food, and I have a bunch of veggies for lunch this week.

Peanut Sauce - cuz I just love peanut sauce

Ingredients:

1/2 cup peanut butter, 1 garlic clove (minced), 1 table spoon siracha, 1 teaspoon of fish sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, 1+ tablespoon lemon juice, and added some honey because it wasn't very sweet.

Directions:

Put all that in a food processor (or if you have a ninja blender like me, which is the best blender in the whole entire world, you can use that as a food processor) and keep blending/processing little by little as you add water or lemon juice (depending on desired taste) a little bit at a time until it reaches desired consistency.

Results:

Now I have delicious peanut sauce to put all over my chicken and to dip my celery in and anything else I want. I'm so excited.

And I bought a port tenderloin (another brand new ingredient in brice's kitchen). Tomorrow I plan to crockpot it with some kind of balsamic recipe I found online so I'll update letter and let you know how it goes.

2. Gym Time

Over the last two years I've gone from "omg please don't make me go in there in front of these people" to "Haza! tomorrow is gym day I don't have to rest and stay home!! GIVE ME HEAVY THINGS RAWR!"

Making good progress. I actually took Friday off from any upper body workouts because my shoulder is bothering me (two slap tears, one in each shoulder the doctors told me about 6 months ago). But I rested friday, took the weekend off and it feels great. I just need to be really aware of it to make sure I'm not going over do it. Taking one day off is better then getting injured and having to sit out for weeks.

That said on my progressions I am feeling confident overall. I actually took my rings to the gym and did a workout on them. 

Pullups - My goal is 3x8 and last week I did 5x 8 8 7 4 3. So close. Keep pulling

Dips - all over it working on ring dips now.

Rows - I have one mindset with rows....just keep rowing. no matter what, just keep rowing.

Pushups - Now I'm working on rings turned out pushups. moven on up.

Legs - I do squats on M and W just anxiously waiting for "deadlift fridays". Yep, they have their own day of the week now.

Handstands - slowly but surely we are making our way into a straight and balanced upsidedown person

L-sits - this is one of the few things I feel like I'm digressing in. Last week all my holds were less than the week before. Need to keep an eye on it and see what happens this week.

3. Book readings

So I've been super slacking on this. I think I read twice this week. Also side note I've been slacking on my meditation too this week. Which is note specifically part of the challenge but these small little tweeks like reading and mediation are habits I want to build and reinforce. Need to refocus and get on it.

And that's all for this week's episode of "breakwheel is going up and over."

Will he accomplish a 3x8 set of pullups?

How will his pork tenderloin turn out tomorrow?

Will those cookies ever come in the mail?

For this and more check back next week!

HAZZAA!

• Like 2

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

"Some people say it doesn't matter whether you win or lose, only if you have fun. Well...nothing is more fun than winning"

Do you know how bad the SLAP tears are? Only reason I ask is because I had shoulder surgery to fix a rotator cuff tear recently, and I'd hate for someone else to have to go through the same thing!!!

No I'm not totally sure. My shoulders have always bothered me. I tried lifting (exercise like benchpress, incline bench, and overhead press) for upper body work for a while and it made them incredibly irritated. After switching over to body weight exercises (pullups, dips, bodyweight rows) my shoulders are A MILLION times better. Yes they still bother me but not anything like they used to.

I know I can make improvements with my rehab, mobility, and working on the range of motion with my shoulders but all in all I feel like they are doing better than they were before so that makes me happy. I try to be careful but not spend too much time worrying about it.

What was your shoulder injury like? Did you know there was a problem beforehand and ignored it, did you feel like you were being good to them and they suddenly turned on you, or was it a spontaneous injury?

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

No I'm not totally sure. My shoulders have always bothered me. I tried lifting (exercise like benchpress, incline bench, and overhead press) for upper body work for a while and it made them incredibly irritated. After switching over to body weight exercises (pullups, dips, bodyweight rows) my shoulders are A MILLION times better. Yes they still bother me but not anything like they used to.

I know I can make improvements with my rehab, mobility, and working on the range of motion with my shoulders but all in all I feel like they are doing better than they were before so that makes me happy. I try to be careful but not spend too much time worrying about it.

What was your shoulder injury like? Did you know there was a problem beforehand and ignored it, did you feel like you were being good to them and they suddenly turned on you, or was it a spontaneous injury?

My injury was one that simply got worse over a long period of time. It first manifested itself as tightness, so I thought mobility work and some visits to the chiropractor would help fix it. I also tried specific exercises to help it get stronger, but that never really worked. Eventually there was pain and limited range of motion. I probably put off getting help a bit too long, to be honest. At that point there was a 1.2cm full thickness tear in my supraspinatus tendon, and nothing short of surgery was going to repair it. I'm almost 7 weeks post-op now, and I can already reach my arm over my head. Due diligence in making sure I do my exercises, and lots of ice have been key in my recovery. :)

My advice would really just be to keep an eye on it, and don't do anything to aggravate it. Focus on exercises that will strengthen it. You could get away without needing surgery.

My injury was one that simply got worse over a long period of time. It first manifested itself as tightness, so I thought mobility work and some visits to the chiropractor would help fix it. I also tried specific exercises to help it get stronger, but that never really worked. Eventually there was pain and limited range of motion. I probably put off getting help a bit too long, to be honest. At that point there was a 1.2cm full thickness tear in my supraspinatus tendon, and nothing short of surgery was going to repair it. I'm almost 7 weeks post-op now, and I can already reach my arm over my head. Due diligence in making sure I do my exercises, and lots of ice have been key in my recovery. :)

My advice would really just be to keep an eye on it, and don't do anything to aggravate it. Focus on exercises that will strengthen it. You could get away without needing surgery.

What kind of exercises do you work on to strengthen it? I have a couple things that I do specifically because of my shoulder which is:

1. making sure that I spend a lot of time and focus on warming it up extra before working out and

2. the movements that I do with my shoulder that are strength movements (pullups, dips, rows, pushups) I focus a lot on form to make sure I'm not lose in the shoulder.

That said I know I'm building up shoulder strength but it's on the inside in the rotator cuff that bothers me.

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

BRICE!

I have an amazing recipe for you to try! Potential new vegetables: zuchinni and eggplant.

INGREDIENTS

1 eggplant

1 big zuchinni, or 2 smaller ones

1 red onion

3 cloves of garlic

thyme, rosemary, oregano, chives... provencal herbs if you can get the dry mix. italian works too.

2-3 bell peppers- orange, red and yellow are best.

2 400g cans of chopped tomatoes (we can get them here with no other ingredients. otherwise pomodorro tomatoes and cut em yourself. Like, 4-5 tomatoes)

sea salt.

(optional - BACON or crackling to dip)

(optional - feta cheese, hard goats cheese)

STEP 1:

cut eggplant into cubes (peel if you must, but for the nutrients - do not peel) and put them into a colander, cover in sea salt and toss a bit. leave to drain for an hour or overnight.

STEP 2:

chop all vegetables into chunks.

STEP 3:

Using a wok or a big soup pan. Fry onion until limp (with olive or coconut oil). Add bacon, garlic and bell peppers. And spices

STEP 4:

squeeze out the liquid from the eggplant and add to the mix. fry a bit until it's all soft and smelling amazing.

STEP 5:

put all the fried ingredients in a slow cooker or leave in the wok. Add tomatoes. mix together and let simmer (or slow cook) on low.

STEP 6:

15-20 mins before serving add zucchinni.

STEP 7:

ENJOY THE MOST AMAZING VEGETABLE GOODNESS.

I have this like, twice a week. It's so amazing with a little bit of cheese on top.

How are your handstands going? I went to acrobats class today and I have a kick up technique that was interesting. Should I youtube it?

• Like 1

Lvl 5 Mermaid Hobbit Assassin

STR 7.5 / DEX 8 / STA 6.5  / CON 14 / WIS 12 / CHA 10

"Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end."

Current Challenge

What kind of exercises do you work on to strengthen it? I have a couple things that I do specifically because of my shoulder which is:

1. making sure that I spend a lot of time and focus on warming it up extra before working out and

2. the movements that I do with my shoulder that are strength movements (pullups, dips, rows, pushups) I focus a lot on form to make sure I'm not lose in the shoulder.

That said I know I'm building up shoulder strength but it's on the inside in the rotator cuff that bothers me.

Things that focus on scapular strength are pretty key here. This video is a good example of what to be working on: 

• Like 1

Things that focus on scapular strength are pretty key here. This video is a good example of what to be working on: 

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how happy I am to have someone else look after my shoulders with me :)

• Like 1

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

BRICE!

I have an amazing recipe for you to try! Potential new vegetables: zuchinni and eggplant.

A: I will trying this recipe next week (saturday is grocery day) and will keep you posted

B: Well I was going to not brag about it since it was most certainly an outlier and not the norm but today I kicked up into a handstand and some weird thing happened and I just didn't fall over! I held it for about 10 seconds. So it's been going pretty awesome.

C: You should most definitely youtube it. How else will I keep up with you if you don't show me

A balancing story: About 4 years ago some I made a new friend and he rode a unicycle. Then his roommate (my friend) learned how to ride a unicycle. So of course, I had to learn how to ride a unicycle.

When I went to his house once or twice a week I would sit on their unicycle and try and balance using the doorframe. It was fun at first but plateaued very quickly. Once I could get on it I could hold myself up on the doorframe but that was it, I would just sit there. I couldn't go ride with them or anything, just sit there.

So I knew what I had to do. I bought a unicycle. It sat in the corner for about a month. Then I got tired of looking at it every day. Then I got frustrated that I didn't know how to ride the unicycle. Then I became determined.

Every day I would go across the street to the tennis court and use the wall to try and ride it. At first I couldn't even move 3 feet without falling over. But after a week it became 5 feet. After a month it became 10 feet. Basically just falling over but a little less each time.

After about 6 weeks I rode across the tennis court! Then I did it a couple more times. Then I rode around the court. Then I rode it down the street! It was amazing.

Fast forward 6 months and we had a small unicycle gang where we would all ride around town and cause trouble making everyone jealous that they couldn't ride our unicycles (or at least that's what I like to think).

What's the point? Well to be completely honest I couldn't really tell you what adjustments I made over the course of those 3 months to be able to sit up on and ride a unicycle.I mean yeah there are some minor technical details but in reality I have no idea how I started balance, and then hold that balance and ride around. If anyone else wanted to ride a unicycle the best advice I could give them is to get a unicycle and ride that thing every day until one day they just ride away.

And that's how I feel about handstands. And life. But this is mostly relevant to handstands.

• Like 1

|| Assassin ||

first, secondthird

"Zen and the Art of Unicycle Riding"? I'd buy that.

Regarding rotator cuffs, have you tried serratus dips/pullups? I've been playing with them lately, and I'm feeling some interesting stability benefits in my shoulder girdle as a result.

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines