• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barmacral

Started Wushu

The club I'm with is not very traditional, more contemporary style I guess (there is another very traditional club in town, but I like the contemporary idea better). I have gone twice now and am having a blast. The only catch though is that it is only Saturdays, (not enough teachers this semester to man a second beginner class) so I have to continue training at home on weekdays if I'm going to see real progress.

I started doing this on the recommendation of my brother in law because I was looking for something to do this winter, so I was a bit skeptical of what to expect. However now that I've been twice, here's the benefits that I see for me:

- Increased flexibility, balance and mobility - these three things are a major focus of this class. I'm actually already seeing a difference in one stretch that I've long been bad at.

- Increased strength - I do bodyweight training but I've plateaued a bit, in part because of the aforementioned lack of flexibility. One of the selling points was seeing my brother in law do a pistol squat easily, which he said he learned because of wushu

- A lot of skills seem very transferable to parkour - been wanting to get into parkour forever, but never quite got around to it. However the rolls and stuff are the same and they teach you how to use momentum effectively and whatnot, once I'm decent at this it should be fairly easy to switch that to running around a city efficiently.

So yeah, not really sure where I was going with this post, just excited and wanted to post about it. Any thoughts, opinions or advice on doing Wushu? Anyone else tried it?

• Like 1

I have been doing Wing Chun for 3 years and I had some partners that were doing a Wushu in the past (I think it was Wushu Guan).

These guys had really strong kicks and difficult to dodge in sparring.

So yeah, you are going to get stronger. I have now idea about parkour though.

As a martial artist, I would say that 1-2/week is not enough. You need more than that to get the skill ingrained. If it has forms, practice them everyday.

I actually just started learning the first beginner form yesterday, so I'll have to spend some time practicing it this week for sure, every day is a good idea. I also have to put some focus into flexibility and mobility workouts, definitely hindered by my lack thusfar.