Piccolojones' Balancing Act

Piccolojones

This is my first official challenge as a warrior, and I'm stoked for it! By way of introduction, my name is Piccolojones, or Pic for short. 

My main quest, is still to re-establish myself in my fitness journey in a balanced manner. I (as I'm sure many nerds can attest) tend to jump into things full bore, only to find that I need to slam on the brakes to catch up in other areas of life. I've done this several times with fitness, and I don't want to slam on the brakes anymore. So my goal is life-balance, or perhaps a better way of stating it is proper priorities.

Challenge Quests:
Balancing my Fitness: Work out 3 times per week. I will be following a modification of the Kinobody Muscle Phase 1. I started it this week (after doing 2-2.5 solid months of SL5x5)
     Grading: A: >18 days of exercise B: 16-18 days C: 13-15 days
     Points: A: +3 STR +1 CHA +1 CON B: +2.25 STR +0.75 CHA +0.75 CON C: +1.5 STR +0.5 CHA +0.5 CON

Balancing my Schoolwork: Finish Monday's homework by Saturday, i.e. Sunday is a HW-free zone.
     Grading: A: Successfully finished Monday's HW by Saturday each week AND got ahead B: Successfully finished Monday's HW by Saturday each week OR got ahead C: Successfully finished Monday's HW by Saturday for at least 4 weeks

Balancing my Social Tendencies: Strike up one conversation each week with a stranger.
     Grading: A: 7+ conversations B: 5-6 conversations C: 4 conversations

Motivation:
I'm gonna be a little vulnerable. One of the things in my life that I've been anticipating for a long time is getting married. I'm not currently in a relationship , but I know that I'm mentally and emotionally healed enough to enter another relationship (the last girl left me a little bit burned). These quests are all aimed at preparing myself holistically for that relationship, whenever I enter one. By staying on top of my schoolwork, I am proving to myself that I can manage my time appropriately as necessary. Working out and stepping up my social game are helping me to become more confident in myself as an attractive person (like I said, the last girl left me a little bit burned).

Here are some stats:
Height: 5' 9.5"
Weight: 144 lbs
Waist: 29" 

Current lifts:
Incline Bench: 105 lbs
Row: 125 lbs
Press: 100 lbs
Deadlift: 210 lbs
Chin-Up: BW+20 lbs

Piccolojones, a level Half-Elven Warrior 

STR- 5.25 | DEX- 2 | STA- 1 | CON- 2.75 | WIS- 4.75 | CHA 7

Join the HEROES vs. Villains PVP!! FOR NARNIA AND FOR ASLAN!

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: The Return

Benching Bodyweight for 5 Reps: 

Aug 8: 110/143 lbs | Aug 13: 115/140 | Aug 20: 120/142 | Sep 8: 135/144 | Oct 14: 140/143 | Oct 23: 145/143!!!

101.3%
101.3%

Balance is important. Mental power is also important. 

I'm following!

Looks like a good challenge, looking forward to following it!

Thanks! Hopefully it'll be worth following! I'm really curious about how things will go for my third quest in particular.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll need it! But more than luck, I'll need discipline and perseverance. Sounds like a quest for a Warrior to me!

Following for the fun Pic.

Thanks. :) I'll try to make it fun! Aw, who am I trying to kid? Warriors thrive on challenge!

Sounds awesome, good luck!

Thanks. :) I'm looking forward to hearing how your own social stretching goes!

Balance is important. Mental power is also important. 

I'm following!

So true. Balance is hard, too, unfortunately. But I'm looking forward to doing the hard things. :)

Challenge Update:

Balancing my Fitness: 

So far so good! I'm really enjoying this new fitness routine. I've also had the "fitness itch" this week, so I've actually been pretty active outside of my normal workouts (e.g. handstand push-ups against a wall every morning and evening, basketball open gym tonight, running after my roommate's birthday party on Sunday, etc.). It's been a good week, thus far, concerning fitness.

Balancing my Schoolwork:

I'm freaking out a little bit, because I have a midterm due this week (online class), and have a retreat this weekend, so I have to get everything done by Friday morning. I'm hoping that I'll be back on Friday morning to update sharing that I've completed my homework. Thankfully, I'm almost done with my classes for the week, so the bulk of my time will be dedicated to homework. 

Balancing my Social Tendencies: Strike up one conversation each week with a stranger.

I'm modifying this challenge a little bit. I realized on Sunday that part of my job as a youth director at church practically solves this challenge for me (I met two new girls from Riverside). Therefore, I'm retroactively eliminating church-related stranger-conversations from counting. That means that I still need to strike up my conversation for this week. I'm planning on doing that tonight at open gym.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Aug 8: 110/143 lbs | Aug 13: 115/140 | Aug 20: 120/142 | Sep 8: 135/144 | Oct 14: 140/143 | Oct 23: 145/143!!!

101.3%
101.3%

Challenge Update:

Balancing my Fitness: 

So far so good! I'm really enjoying this new fitness routine. I've also had the "fitness itch" this week, so I've actually been pretty active outside of my normal workouts (e.g. handstand push-ups against a wall every morning and evening, basketball open gym tonight, running after my roommate's birthday party on Sunday, etc.). It's been a good week, thus far, concerning fitness.

Balancing my Schoolwork:

I'm freaking out a little bit, because I have a midterm due this week (online class), and have a retreat this weekend, so I have to get everything done by Friday morning. I'm hoping that I'll be back on Friday morning to update sharing that I've completed my homework. Thankfully, I'm almost done with my classes for the week, so the bulk of my time will be dedicated to homework. 

Balancing my Social Tendencies: Strike up one conversation each week with a stranger.

I'm modifying this challenge a little bit. I realized on Sunday that part of my job as a youth director at church practically solves this challenge for me (I met two new girls from Riverside). Therefore, I'm retroactively eliminating church-related stranger-conversations from counting. That means that I still need to strike up my conversation for this week. I'm planning on doing that tonight at open gym.

Looks like you're right on track! way to juggle all of your responsibilities!  

Human Warrior

Current Bests                         Quest Goal

Squat: 91kg   (200 lbs)       Squat:    95kg 2x2 (209 lbs)
Snatch: 45kg     (99 lbs)        Snatch: 50kg (110 lbs)
         Clean & Jerk: 60kg (132 lbs)       Clean and Jerk: 65kg (143 lbs)

Level 2 | STR 5 | CON 5 | WIS 3 | CHA 4

TINSI'S Current Challenge

TINSIs Cooking and Recipe Blog!

TINSI's First Challenge!

Update:

Balancing my Fitness: 
     Well, I wasn't able to get to the gym this morning before we leave, so I did a quick bodyweight workout [Handstand pushups (8/8/6), Chinups (6+20lbs/8 bw/10 bw), Clap pushups (25/25), Diamond Pushups (15/15)]. Not a perfect replacement, but I hit all the muscle groups and am definitely tired now. :) I'll count that as success. +3 for this week.

Balancing my Schoolwork:
     Finished my midterm, but didn't finish my homework for Monday. I'm going to try to finish it all before Sunday, but I might not be able to, since we're going on retreat. Tentatively +0 for this week.

Balancing my Social Tendencies:

I had a conversation with a classmate named Roman on Tuesday. It was actually much easier than I anticipated. On Wednesday, I also had the opportunity to have a short elevator conversation with a nice lady. Again, easier than anticipated. +2 for this week!

Have a good weekend, y'all! I'll see you on Monday!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

101.3%
101.3%

Woke up and have had a sore neck and tight lats. Tried to massage it out, tried to stretch, not working. Contemplated not working out. Screw it, I'm working out. I'll probably just go a little bit lighter than normal. Since I didn't get my normal Friday workout, I've missed the weights. :( Although I did go for a run in the mountains at my retreat. :)

-------------

Edit:

Back from my workout. Feeling pretty good. My back/neck actually feels better now that it's all warmed up. :) I didn't even end up going lighter on my weights. I did a quick 60 sec AMRAP for pushups for the Heroes vs. Villains PVP. Surprised myself and knocked out 61 solid pushups. I haven't done AMRAP in a long time, but last time I did it I had a lot of trouble around the 45 rep mark. Stoked to see some strength gains in exercises I don't do. :)

Also, as is almost mandatory on retreats, I ate like a beast this weekend, surprising everyone with how much I ate. I was eager to see the repercussions on the scale, wondering if I gained anything. The results: down 3# from last week, which basically means nothing happened, when you allow for daily weight fluctuations. *sigh* oh well. The weight gains aren't mandatory as long as the strength gains continue. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

101.3%
101.3%

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep going!

Sounds good, keep up the good effort warrior! 

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! 

Okay, so, confession time. I'm probably having way too much fun with the Heroes vs Villains PVP. This week is pushups (adjusted based on our 60sec max), and we use those pushups to stages our attacks/defenses. To keep up with the craziness in the thread (check it out in my sig), I'm at 500 pushups and counting since Monday. Good thing today is leg day!

Current Challenge

101.3%
101.3%

Update

Balancing my Fitness: 

So far this week has been going well. Lots of soreness from Monday that didn't really wear off because of all the pushups I've been doing (600 and counting. ^_^), but at least they're not getting in the way of my other workouts. Yesterday was legs and abs and it was rough. But 215x6x3 for deadlifts and I'm feeling good and proud. Had my roommate watch my form and he said it was good, which is even better. :)

Balancing my Schoolwork:

This is the hardest of my challenges, I'm finding, because it's the least fun for me. I've gotta get going on my work... :/

I knocked this one out of the park this week! :) Today, I donated blood on a whim (there was a donation truck on campus, so I went after lunch). I had a grand ol' time talking with (count 'em) 4 people! Sam, Ashlynn, John, and Harry. We were all sitting together at the end (you know, the 15 minute period you're supposed to wait afterward), but we were having such a good time talking and getting to know each other that we ended up staying for almost 40 minutes. Whoops! This, plus my +2 from last week puts me at +6 overall, and there's still 4 more weeks to this challenge! Pretty stoked. I'm going to leave my goal at 7+ for six weeks, but I'm going to put a mini-goal of 15 conversations by week 6. :)

Current Challenge

101.3%
101.3%

Stopping by to check in on your thread.  had fun fighting alongside you as we battled the villains. Glad you can crank out the pushups. Doing great on your challenge too, woohoo on talking to more people! Loved what you said about why Reepicheep and Captain America are your heroes on your about me page. I always love how Reepciheep was so ready and passionate to fight for Aslan. Chronicles of Narnia are some of my favorite books.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Stopping by to check in on your thread.  had fun fighting alongside you as we battled the villains. Glad you can crank out the pushups. Doing great on your challenge too, woohoo on talking to more people! Loved what you said about why Reepicheep and Captain America are your heroes on your about me page. I always love how Reepciheep was so ready and passionate to fight for Aslan. Chronicles of Narnia are some of my favorite books.

Thanks for stopping by! I had a lot of fun doing that challenge. :) Maybe we'll get a burpees week in before this one is done. That would be nuts. This challenge is going to be difficult. I suppose it all depends on the definition of "new". I like to keep myself fairly well rounded, so finding new things to do will be tough... But it seems like the Heroes are kicking butt in this PVP. As they should be. :)

Update:

Balancing my Fitness: 

Locked this one down, plus did 948 pushups for the Heroes vs Villains PVP. +3 for this week. (+6 cumulative)

Balancing my Schoolwork:

I GOT MY HOMEWORK DONE! At least, it was done by Saturday night (basically midnight). But I didn't do homework yesterday, and I don't have homework due today to do. I count that as a win. +1 this week, (+1 cumulative)

I already updated about my smashing success in this department. +4 for this week. (+6 cumulative)

Current Challenge

101.3%
101.3%

Wow great job so far! So many push-ups, woah, I'm jealous of your endurance haha. Also, wonderful job on the homework, as a lifetime procrastinator, I know that can be tough. Plus A++ on your social skills! Always worth putting yourself out there when you find people you enjoy having conversation with. :D

Half-Orc Babe | Peaceful Warrior | Lvl 0 | 1st Challenge | Femme Fatales

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

My weight-loss journey, since September 8 2014: SW: 256  CW: 247 GW:140

7.7%
7.7%

Wow great job so far! So many push-ups, woah, I'm jealous of your endurance haha. Also, wonderful job on the homework, as a lifetime procrastinator, I know that can be tough. Plus A++ on your social skills! Always worth putting yourself out there when you find people you enjoy having conversation with. :D

Thanks! The endurance... it's something that I've built up. I had friends that would play card games and pushups were the punishments/wagers. (e.g. Hold 'Em, or War). That really helped.

Update: 

I was super busy on Monday, so I missed the workout. Thankfully, since I'm not hitting the same muscle groups on Monday and Wednesday, I just did Monday's workout yesterday, and continued with a variant of Wednesday's workout. I was really low on energy, probably because of yesterday's workout + being 17 hours fasted going into the workout, so I opted for some sprint work instead of the heavy weights. I also kicked up the height for my box jumps. Somewhere around 43 inches now. :)

Current Challenge

101.3%
101.3%

Update:

While I was at the grocery store, the man behind me struck up a conversation with me. Although I didn't initiate that conversation, I did continue it, so I'm going to count it as +1 for this week. :)

Current Challenge

101.3%
101.3%

Update:

There must be something about shopping at stores... haha I was at Home Depot, grabbing some stuff to fix my dresser, and as I was leaving I ended up striking a conversation with a nice employee on his break. Not a crazy long or deep conversation, but an interaction with someone that I don't know. :) That brings my total up to +2 for this week!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

101.3%
101.3%

Good exercise and social interaction. 

Don't worry about a missing workout, Piccolo, you're doing pretty awesome overall.

Good exercise and social interaction. 

Don't worry about a missing workout, Piccolo, you're doing pretty awesome overall.

Thanks, man. I was actually even able to make up for the missed workout. :)

Interesting challenge.

Love the social part. I might need to add something like that sooner or later :)

Thanks! I was a bit worried about how it would turn out, but it's been easier than I expected. Just have to keep getting out there and pushing myself!

Sorry I'm so late - but welcome to the Warriors! :)

Thanks!

Update:

Balancing my Fitness: 

Even though I missed Monday's workout, I was able to make it up later in the week, so I'm still at +3 for this week. (+9 cumulative)

Balancing my Schoolwork:

I GOT MY HOMEWORK DONE! At least, it was done by Saturday night (basically midnight). But I didn't do homework yesterday, so I count that as a win. I do need to be more proactive this week, though. Finishing late Saturday night isn't much better than working on Sunday... +1 this week, (+2 cumulative)

I already updated earlier this week about my two conversations (at Stater Brothers and at Home Depot). Shopping makes this challenge much easier, I find. :) +2 for this week. (+8 cumulative)

Current Challenge

101.3%
101.3%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines