[LyricalSharon] 8k's, Muscles, and New 'Dos!

lyricalsharon

[First of all, can I tell you how hard it is to find pictures on the internet of female rangers/amazons or pretty much ANY female protagonist that isn't either hyper-sexualized or, conversely, uber-cute? Sheesh! I just want a tough female ranger/amazon picture that isn't scantily clad. C'mon, people, I am more than my "assets"!

/rant]

8K's, Muscles, and New 'Dos! 
(also known as, "Train for an 8k, part 2!")

For those that have run the hidden pine trails with me, my goals this challenge are similar to last challenge. The last couple weeks of the challenge last time got derailed slightly; iphone glitch, travel, hiking trip, friends visiting (dangit it's getting out of schedule that does it.....darn you, life); I want to continue on where I left off. 

RUN

T/TH/SAT

My non-NF Scout friends are not letting me off the hook for running the 8k. They are even driving 5 hours (each way) out of their way to come and get me. srsly.
Therefore, I must run. All that driving can't be for nothing.

I need to pick back up on the 13 week walk/run program.  

LIFT

M/W/F

*Stronglifts 5x5*

That's right. I'm going to start Stronglifts 5x5. Slightly nervous here... but I am excited at the thought of learning how to DL and all that jazz. It's kind of amusing tho that the program is specifically geared toward guys. C'mon, women like to lift to, brah! 

I really do want to continue with building core strength... so I also am going to include:

MUST PLANK 30s, and 30s on each side too. 

MUST DO 10x3 back raises. 

I figure that core will be built doing Stronglifts too, which is why I am not upping the back raises challenge from last time. 

TRACK

ERRY DAY

That's right. I'mma continue to track my food, via pictures. Why? Because having to post pictures of the 15 chocolate covered mini-donuts that I want to consume is a wonderful deterrent to unhealthy eating. I've actually been eating more healthy (as far as home-cooked meals go), especially this last challenge. 

The only thing I am going to change is, I don't want to come back and explain what I just ate. (Unless you ask, then I'll be happy to share). I just think one more step creates that much more of a barrier to consistent tracking. 

Life Quest:

I GOTS MA HURR DID!

EVERY WEEK

I'm embarking on my very first non-fitness related quest! Huzzah!

I figured that if I am going to have the body of an Amazon, then I should at least have awesome hair to go with it. I usually stick my hair up in a ponytail, or braid it down the back. Or I pin my bangs back. That's it.

BUT THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So.... 

Every week I need to look up a new hairstyle and try it out! And, I'll post pictures!  

• Like 2

LyricalSharon

~Hobbit with the heart of an Amazon~

LVL 4 STR 7 DEX 1.5 STA 8.75 CON 5 WIS 3.5 CHA 3

I'm getting this road on the show... 

This is so much cooler than [insert diet program]

Battle Log Current Challenge

I found some for you

v8cx94.jpg

28b66jc.jpg10500439_10202854663102522_8227153516331jerkin.jpgk9webo.jpg

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

967f09347802376766b3e54a701f8e72c832d9c0

BADASS_67d74c_2469410.jpg

And of course, Sarah Connor.

You're in good company!

• Like 2

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

I try :)

I included a pic of your favorite ranger in there too :P

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I try :)

I included a pic of your favorite ranger in there too :P

I noticed!!! Definitely H-Core to the most epic degree!

Sent with a flurry of little thumbs and dog hair.

• Like 1

LyricalSharon

30b48dd38b52047c3ee7c28081e9b12e.jpg

d95a4edd60ce7c3d94793318b2ba73e0.jpg

aaf51a7f9e59ea86a1bbfcaacc1d7f7b.jpg

4a6ea97ee2149ada6a279fc7e87ae11d.jpg

0e1f257b1683533a4d2d3ebfb77af22f.jpg74d0276d9df85a6ea6a7ca7daa5b949f.jpg

Lasagna and plum were breakfast today.

I also had a plum yesterday and forgot to take a picture.

I also had a rolo bar yesterday too.

LyricalSharon

Your dog looks like mine. .

Also food on a stick is my favorite

Spoiler

d48f1e883825a8a462fb7206c23d4143.jpg7320ac3d8e52cbf6b994515a4d95aae0.jpg34460f429cc09e1307bc7d04b470c34c.jpg

(I had the same thing for breakfast, so I just posted a picture of the stew/soup before the chips were on it).

No picture: the entire tin of jalepeño Pringles, and a jumbo rolo bar and a jumbo kitkat chunky.

LyricalSharon

ce037844c3d131f0964c42ad7f949a33.jpg

New 'do.

Braided crown thingie... Tried to wave/curl the hairs with a straight-iron but my hair falls flat super easy. Te original look was supposed to be loose waves and bangs curling over the sides of the braid crown. But, my bangs fall down directly over my face if I leave them loose. So, I pinned them where the crown is on my right side. I ended up back combing pretty much everything, and then putting it in a low pony. I also wrapped hair around the base of the pony so the elastic didn't show.

So, not what I had originally seen, but looked okay in the end. Got some compliments on it.

In other news: had shepherd's pie, salad, 2 bakery cookies, about 1/3 cup ice cream and sundae toppings.

Also did my first session of Stronglifts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy moly, 25 squats kicked my tush. Made sure I "broke parallel" and had my heels shoulder-width apart. That guy's advice to push the knees out really helps.

Couldn't do squats with the bar though.

Also, 5x5 15lbs bench press (with the bar).

Barbell row was interesting. I don't know if my form was correct - I started with the empty bar and put it on the lowest setting on the squat rack. Probably a bit too high. I know that the guy says to pull it up to the place that you'd do a bench press. But that started to use the lower back muscles in a bad way. So I just pulled it up to between the navel and under bust area. I made sure my lower back was neutral and not rounded.

LyricalSharon

Breakfast: took a picture of the KD I made... But it didn't load. Had about a cup and a half.

And coffee.

LyricalSharon

So.... Awesome thing: my friend called me up yesterday and took me to the thrift store. It was half-price on clothes.... I have been needing new jeans so she bought me 8!!!! It was fantastic. She got some too. 11 pairs of jeans in total - for $5!!!!! And some of them are like, really good brands!

But the downside is, I realized I am actually a size 12 instead of a 10. :'(

However, who cares. I was probably a 12 a long time ago and just never clued into it. *denial*

That much more awesome when I reach 7!

Food yesterday:

Supper: salmon with Ginger garlic brown sugar sesame oil sauce.

Sautéed cabbage and other vegetables, and brown rice.

I also had some ice cream with goodies on top. I know, I know.

I went for a walk yesterday, but I did not run. I have lost a little bit of motivation for running right now, and having very sore quads from squatting does not help. Oh well, have to do it anyway.

LyricalSharon

Love the hair challenge!

Doesn't sound like you are too worried about the size of your clothes, but also, I'm pretty sure  thrift store things tend to be a little smaller than things you buy new. People have washed them and often shrunk them.

Keep up the good work fellow amazon :-)

I am trying not to be too upset about the clothing size. It sort of doesn't matter at this point - what matters is that I keep going - keep working out and stuff. 

Thanks!!

Update:

I did my first set of deadlifts today!! And overhead presses!!!!!

My OHP was just with the bar. The first set or two kind of sucked, as I was getting used to the form. After that I remembered some more of the tips on form and I felt like it got better with each set. 

Deadlifts were interesting. I got the gym girl to check my form - my back was perfect. I only put 10lbs on the bar because I didn't want to start too heavy - but it actually felt comparatively light. However, I took the lady's recommendation and stuck with the 10lbs instead of upping it, so that I didn't overdo it, and so that I could safely practice good form. 

It felt incredibly foreign to my body. I've picked up stuff from the floor before, but rather in the form of a squat, not a deadlift. I still have to master the movement of pushing with the hips, or whatever. 

So here's what I did today:

Squats (bodyweight): 5x5. I am going to keep doing those for another couple exercises before I add weight. I felt like I sort of popped my hip or something out today.... something in my left joint almost hurt after one of the sets. I stretched and walked it out - it felt like my hip does when I need to rotate it and pop it. 

OHP: 5x5 @ 45lbs (bar)

DL: 5x1 @ 55lbs

LyricalSharon

lookin good gurlfren.... 

hair is cute... half price thrift clothes... that's my kinda deal!!

• Like 1

Spoiler

Whoops.... so I forgot that I also included planks and back raises in my workouts..........

Guess I get to do them and type between sets. 

When I went to learn how to do the barbell row, the instructions said to pull the bar up to the same place on the chest that I did the bench press. When I went to do the barbell row, it was really uncomfortable and I thought it didn't feel right! And it wasn't the same position as in the video I saw. I was trying to pull it up to a high spot on my chest, where the video had shown a guy pulling to way lower! So I finally decided to just pull to a spot that felt comfortable (not twinging my lower back). And today, I looked up proper form for the bench press.... and yep, you guessed it, I was doing it wrong!! (Surprise surprise). 

Turns out I've been benching from my shoulders, when the correct form is to/from the sternum/lower chest area. AND, that it has to touch the sternum/lower chest area, otherwise it only counts as a 1/2 rep. And THAT only works the triceps, not the lats/pecs. Dangnabit! 

Well all of that's fine on guys..... 

BUT! I sort of found a solution. I also discovered, in my quest for proper form, that you are not supposed to have your feet on the bench (or raised above), but firmly planted on the floor. The reason I had my feet on the bench in the first place is that I am really short! I told all of this to the lady that works at the gym..... and she found a step thingie that we slid under the bench bar so that I could prop my feet up! Yay! 

I say THAT because in a few of the videos I watched (including the one from Stronglifts), all the folks that were doing "proper" bench presses had their chest arched almost. So I tried that.... and voila! I can press to my sternum without mashing everything else! 

What I discovered, of course, is that I really can't press 65# when I actually press correctly. Nope nope nope. One set, yes. After that, I decided to go back to a bare 45# bar and work from there. 

All of that "back" story (ha, ha) to say........

Workout:

BW Squats (gee, I am learning to do those properly too!) 5x5

Bench Press: 65# 5x1, 45# 5x4

Barbell Row: 50# 5x5 (yep, I had wee little weights on the end of the bar. I propped it on a floor bench to put it to the proper height for me). 

Lat Pulldowns: 70# 5x5 (felt really easy!) 

Plank: 30s each for regular and sides

Back Raises: 10x3

LyricalSharon

yay for proper form!

Spoiler

Your dog looks like mine. .

Also food on a stick is my favorite

had to search through the pics to find the dog... soo many nice looking foods (just getting caught up, your challenge is amazing!)

• Like 1

||Level 2 || Human Ranger (in training)||

|| STR 1 || DEX 1.2 || STA 1.2 || CON 3 || WIS 1.5 || CHA 1 ||

Challenge #1 || #2

Instagram

Walk from Bag End to Bree before Christmas!

27%
27%

I love the messy braids... it's the one thing I miss about long hair... not that I will grow my hair out though

• Like 1

Spoiler

I worked out again today... Huzzah! Yesterday I took the dog for a walk...

Today went to the gym:

Couldn't do barbell yet for squats so I did 2 sets without and then the rest were with 5# dumbbells. Whew!

OHP: 50# 4x1; 45# 4x1, 5x3

I was able to do them all fine last time. I don't know why I struggled so much this time.

I breathed out so hard when I pressed that I actually spat in the mirror. Bahaha!

DL: 55# 5x1

I still am not sure about my form. I am going to have to take a video.

Lat pull down: 70# 5x3; 80# 5x2

Back raises: 10x3

Planks: 30s each side

• Like 1

LyricalSharon

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines