The Campfire | Recipes for Rangers who Eat

Hammlin

Might end up doing that then. I have enough I could try a couple different methods, really, haha. It was cheap.

FunshineBear - Battle Log!!!

Level 0 Temporarily Orc...

Aspiring Ranger

[No stats to speak of yet]

Current Challenge

Whoso would be a man, must be a nonconformist.
He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore it if it be goodness.
Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. - R.W. Emerson

Kale is decent enough in smoothies, where you don't taste it. I fill half my NutriBullet with a spinach/kale mix and the other half with fresh pear, cucumber, and lime and frozen strawberries and/or pineapple and/or blueberries. I freeze both my kale and my spinach for the smoothies; you can freeze any type of dark leafy green and it'll keep really well for both smoothies and hot recipes. 

• Like 1

Aeshnidae, The Girl with the Dragonfly Tattoo

Human Ranger

Level 4 | STR 9 | DEX 8 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 8 | CHA 3

Aeshnidae Flips the Bird at Being Sick | Battle Log | Skull Crushers III

Intro Post | MFP | 2nd Challenge

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

"Nothing but the rain..."

Both of those sound good. It probably would go well with something a bit sweeter. I've got butternuts, acorns, and pumpkins that I need to use anyways. So one lucky squash is going to be a side to steak tonight.

And I'll stick some in the freezer for next week. Payday I get to buy some experimental groceries, so a smoothie could work its way in there.

• Like 1

Aspiring Ranger

Current Challenge

He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore it if it be goodness.

I've wanted to try Paprikash ever since I read about it in the first chapters of Dracula! I never thought I'd have it, though. (I'm very adventurous about vegetarianizing some things, but never think about it with others. Go figure.)

Mushroom Paprikas

(Recipe adapted from Appetite for Reduction by Isa Moskowitz)

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

Sometimes if the kale chips get cooked too long or at too high a heat, they get brownish and then the bitter flavours come out. Could that have happened? Also, did you coat them in olive oil before baking?

Some ppl put sea salt on them or paprika. I like them just plain.

I mince kale up and put it in burger patties or meatloaf sometimes.

Sent with a flurry of little thumbs and dog hair.

LyricalSharon

~Hobbit with the heart of an Amazon~

LVL 4 STR 7 DEX 1.5 STA 8.75 CON 5 WIS 3.5 CHA 3

I'm getting this road on the show... 

This is so much cooler than [insert diet program]

Battle Log Current Challenge

Sometimes if the kale chips get cooked too long or at too high a heat, they get brownish and then the bitter flavours come out. Could that have happened? Also, did you coat them in olive oil before baking?

Some ppl put sea salt on them or paprika. I like them just plain.

I mince kale up and put it in burger patties or meatloaf sometimes.

Sent with a flurry of little thumbs and dog hair.

Nah, I made sure not to overdo it. They're a very pretty green. And yes to both olive oil and a little salt.

Those might not be bad options either. I think for me the only way is going to be to almost hide it. Which I typically hate doing to foods, but it's just too nutritious to avoid.

• Like 1

Aspiring Ranger

Current Challenge

Tzippi - I hope you'll enjoy the paprikas! I usually serve it over egg noodles with a dollop of sour cream, but it'd also be tasty over mashed potatoes. My family has always made an authentic chicken paprikas but this vegetarian version definitely captures the authentic flavors.

• Like 1

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

Tzippi - I hope you'll enjoy the paprikas! I usually serve it over egg noodles with a dollop of sour cream, but it'd also be tasty over mashed potatoes. My family has always made an authentic chicken paprikas but this vegetarian version definitely captures the authentic flavors.

Thank you so much! I'm very excited!

• Like 1

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

So I could use some advice.

I saw a recipe for kale chips. I thought it was a great idea, because I like greens, I like salty snacks, and I could use another healthy option to add to my arsenal. So I bought two bunches and just made the first batch.

Gotta say, not my favorite. I like greens cooked other ways. But this is just too strong a voodoo for me.

And now I've got about 3 lbs of kale and no idea what to do with it. It's much more bitter than say chard and I'm a wuss about bitter stuff, but I don't think it would respond well to the Southern Greens treatment. So, anybody have a good recipe that counters the bitter?

I'm gonna ask around a bit, see what I can dig up.

I liked this recipe for a kale slaw with apples. ended up with enough sweet to make the bitterness a nice element, instead of overpowering.

1. Take a large flat cut of meat, preferrably softened through a schnitzel machine
  2. Cut various hard vegetables (carrots, zucchini, cloves etc) into long strips. Cook, roast or stir-fry them a bit
  3. Lay veggie strips on your slab of meat. If so desired, add the softer stuff that would fall apart if you cooked it
  4. Roll everything in the meat and hold it with a few toothpicks if necessary
  5. Cook the meat and enjoy

IMG_20141001_192040.jpg

IMG_20141001_191744.jpg

Vegetable smoothie is optional :)

• Like 2

Lvl 58 Multitasker

Another specialty from my little corner of the world:

Take some thick cuts of pork meat with the fat and skin on. Rub plenty of sea salt on them and let them rest overnight. The next morning, lay them on a grill with some water underneath but not in contact. The water is only there to ensure that any dropping fat won't instaburn and cover everything in a nasty smell.

IMG_20141002_144803.jpg

Fire the oven to about 200C/400F and let it cook for half an hour. Then turn the heat down to 120C/250F and forget about it. Depending on the cut, it should take up to 6-7 hours until it comes out something like this

IMG_20141002_202215.jpg

Make sure it doesn't touch anything plastic, because the meat will aquire a funny taste. Wrap it in cooking paper (also lemon tree leaves, if available) and store, it can last you quite some time and is tasty also cold.

• Like 1

Lvl 58 Multitasker

• Take a large flat cut of meat, preferrably softened through a schnitzel machine
  • Cut various hard vegetables (carrots, zucchini, cloves etc) into long strips. Cook, roast or stir-fry them a bit
  • Lay veggie strips on your slab of meat. If so desired, add the softer stuff that would fall apart if you cooked it
  • Roll everything in the meat and hold it with a few toothpicks if necessary
  • Cook the meat and enjoy
IMG_20141001_192040.jpg

IMG_20141001_191744.jpg

Vegetable smoothie is optional :)

Thanks for,sharing! I get putting the carrots and zucchini inside but you mention cloves. The spice? Do you grind them up or leave them,whole? What other seasonings do you use?

The pork looks awesome too! I use my smoker a lot for pork and chicken. I do a bunch on the weekend to have as a quick dinner.

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Thanks for,sharing! I get putting the carrots and zucchini inside but you mention cloves. The spice? Do you grind them up or leave them,whole? What other seasonings do you use?

The pork looks awesome too! I use my smoker a lot for pork and chicken. I do a bunch on the weekend to have as a quick dinner.

I meant chives, not cloves. Chives, green onions, however you want to call them. The Warhammer PvP has destroyed my mind and my typing. The meat pictured is beef, which I prefer to taste pure. Pork I find a bit blander and might spice it up a bit with pepper, paprika and all that spicy stuff, but never on the outside, since it burns and smells terrible. Still, my best bet has been finishing off cooking the veggies with a bit of balsamic vinegar. If I'm feeling funky, I might leave it in the pan and cook the roll as well in it. Here's another photo from older times, using beef again but with more veggies, balsamic vinegar and a different cut

IMG_20140807_161106.jpg

Lvl 58 Multitasker

Dark_Raider that food though... THAT FOOD!

I make some good stuff too, but I need to really focus on protein...

Your stuff looks amazing, what was in the veggie shake?

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Does anyone have any good smoothie recipes? I'm thinking about mixing some protein powder in with it. ..

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Does anyone have any good smoothie recipes? I'm thinking about mixing some protein powder in with it. ..

I really like my smoothies (full disclosure: they're not as thick as typical smoothies unless you add protein). I have a NutriBullet and I fill it half full of dark leafy greens, usually spinach, which you won't taste at all. Then I fill the rest with half a fresh pear (or apple), some frozen pineapple and/or strawberries and/or blueberries, a chunk of peeled cucumber, and some fresh lime (usually 1/4 lime, juice and pulp). Sometimes I add almonds, sometimes I add vanilla protein powder. Finally I add liquid to the max line; usually regular water but sometimes I do half coconut water. I think the end result is really refreshing. =)

• Like 1

Human Ranger

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

I like just fruit, usually some combination of a banana and a cup of something else: raspberries, strawberries, or peaches. 

Or 1 banana, 1/4 c. plain yogurt, 1 tsp. peanut/almond butter, milk, spice (vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice, etc.) and ice. 

Although going into fall I love pumpkin smoothies: 

1 banana, 1/2 -1 c. pumpkin puree., 1/4 c. yogurt,  1 c. milk, handful ice and spices.  Protein would fit well with any of those.  

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

My favorite smoothies:

1.  Chocolate-Avocado.  Coconut milk, half an avocado, scoop of protein powder; tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder.  For an extra kick, sometime I add chili powder and cinnamon.

2.  Chocolate-Banana-Almond Butter.  Coconut milk, banana, scoop of protein powder, two tablespoons of almond butter.  (Easy to vary by eliminating either or both banana or almond butter).

3.  Raspberry.  Frozen raspberries, coconut milk, vanilla protein powder.  (sometimes a teaspoon of 100% pure maple syrup)

4.  Blueberry pancakes.  Frozen blueberries; maple-yogurt (or coconut milk + maple syrup), vanilla protein powder.

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

"Remember - I'm still the king of the Seven Seas!  And if I wish I can command all the creatures of the sea to attack you - at once!"

So I just kinda threw what I had in the fridge into my ninja.

1 small cucumber

1 stalk of celery

handful of frozen strawberries

1/2 a banana

2 scoops of protein powder (40g of protein baby!)

Topped it off with water.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines