Leothil

Hello everyone, and thank you for clicking on my thread! I find it hard to believe that I'm on my third challenge already, time really does fly. My last challenge started out well but I really fell off the wagon towards the end, and I want to do better this time around. During the last two months of summer my daily and weekly schedule would change all the time, and the inconsistensy of it made it hard for me to keep up a workout routine. Last week my studies started again, and after a whole week of being back at campus every day and still not taking time to work out, I'm tired of my sloppiness. I want to get back into a routine, get myself moving again and hopefully begin to feel better about myself.

tumblr_mwpotprvIW1rjenv2o1_250.gif

QUEST 1: Habit builder

There are many small things I want to get into the habit of doing, that all will help improve the quality of life somehow.

1. Floss. I want to take care of my teeth so that they will last my whole life with a minimum of dental work. Flossing is too easy to forget or neglect, so it's time to do something about that. I will start small and work my way up.

Week 1&2 - floss once a week

Week 3&4 - floss twice a week

Week 5&6 - floss three times a week

2. Wrist work. My wrists are quite weak and can sometimes start hurting when I'm doing pushups, handstand work or dips. Best case scenario they recover immediately (this is the usual case), but worst case is that they stay sore for several days, and during that time I can't put any extra strain on them. I have talked to a doctor, and she gave me a list of exercises I can do to strenghten the muscles in my wrists.

Week 1 - do 10 reps of each exercise once a day

Week 2 - do 12 reps of each exercise once a day

Week 3 - do 12 reps of each exercise twice a day

Week 4 - do 15 reps of each exercise twice a day

Week 5 - do 15 reps of each exercise three times a day

Week 6 - do 20 reps of each exercise three times a day

3. Skin care. Even though I don't wear makeup every day, I want to wash my face every night to get rid of the sweat and dirt that has gathered during the day. A clean face means less clogged pores and less zits to worry about.

REWARDS: +2 CHA +2 WIS

QUEST 2: Fitness

I want and need to start working out regularly again. Strength training and my dance squad practises are a must, but I also desperately want to enjoy running. I completed a 10k race two weeks ago and I'd like to get better at running that distance. Getting out on the run is usually the hardest step, so I recently purchased Zombies, run! in the hope that the missions there will get my gaming mind hooked and make the getting out-process easier. My schedule will look something like this:

Monday - strength training

Tuesday - dance practise (+ running)

Wednesday - strength training

Thursday - running

Friday - strength training

Saturday/Sunday(whichever fits better that current weekend) - running

Fortunately I have quite few classes this fall, but I suspect the workload on at least two of them will be quite heavy. Therefore I need to try getting my workout done before I start any schoolwork. I know myself well enough to know that if I leave the workout for last I will have spent all my energy doing everything else, and no workout will be done. In other words, bring on the morning workouts!

REWARDS: +2 STA +2 STR +2 CON

QUEST 3: Music

I started taking piano lessons when I was five and stopped when I was sixteen, and by now my skills are way below the level I had when I stopped playing. Since I stopped taking lessons I've played occasionally, but I want to get into it again. I used to be able to play so many beautiful pieces almost perfectly, and I really, really want to be able to do that again. To accomplish this, I will spend at least 15 minutes playing anything I feel like on my keyboard every other day. I have lots of sheet music and my sister has more, so there should be no shortage.

REWARDS: +2 WIS +1 DEX

The Heart Asks Pleasure First was one of my favourites to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dPS-EHl-FE

LIFE QUEST: So you think you can plan

Fun fact: I love calendars. I love writing down at what time everything should be done, and I love having a schedule to follow. Logically it then follows that I'm good at getting stuff done too, right? Well...the problem is I get distracted. By a video, an interesting discussion nearby, an instant message, these forums, you name it. I also think I sometimes don't realise how much time I spend trying to do something, but it amounts to nothing because the actual working time is maybe 10% of the total time I've spent doing it. So, I want to try a kind of reverse planning: I write down what I spend my time on so that I afterwards can see how I really spent my day.

Yes, this means writing down "spent 10 minutes checking Facebook" when I do that.

Yes, I totally stole this idea from Batwoman's challenge. It was too good not to take.

I hope this also will give a better idea of how much time I need to reserve for the important things like schoolstuff, and how much I can spend on fun activities like visiting my parents or fangirling on tumblr. Then I will also know if I have the time to help out in the student restaurant when they ask me for help or not.

tumblr_inline_nb37wuYeDo1s48o8c.gif

REWARDS: +1 CHA +1 STA

• Like 5

Level 4 Half-Elf Assassin

(that dabbles with the scouts)

Tumblr | Blog | Epic quest

"There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect; that's what makes it so beautiful."

A little complicated stuff, wishing you luck in trying to juggle everything!

Thanks, but to be honest I'm mostly worried about my schoolstuff. :D I have a deadline a week from now in a Computer Graphics-course, which means I have to learn how to use C++ and implement some code next week. I've only done Java, Python and C so far, so this will be an interesting challenge. I'm lucky I have friends who are very talented with C++!

"There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect; that's what makes it so beautiful."

Good luck Leothil! You've got a lot going on, but the breakdown seems pretty straightforward, I'm sure you'll be able to build up all those little habits! I'm joining you in the running thing this challenge, so hoping for some good tips!

level 2 Hobbit. Assassin-in-training

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge: There and back again

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

Good luck Leothil! You've got a lot going on, but the breakdown seems pretty straightforward, I'm sure you'll be able to build up all those little habits! I'm joining you in the running thing this challenge, so hoping for some good tips!

Thank you! :) So far so good, today's workout is already done and I've followed up quite well on the writing-down-stuff-I-do. The piano playing will take place when I finally get home sometime around eight this evening...

AMG! Totally subb'd!

Hey! Can you share those wrist exercises? I also have those cramps and such sometimes during my push-ups.

"This message was brought to you by my fingers which were activated by the electrical signals sent from my brain through a network of nerves and ganglia".

Class and Profession: Rangers
Background: 25 year old Nerdling. Here to kick some health......butt?? I need to work on that.

Current Challenge: Hani Gets Back On The Health Choo-Choo

Good challenge for school-time- I hope. ;)

I can see why that piano piece is one of your favorites. It also gives us an idea of how good you were if you were able to play that! :)

• Like 1

LIFE QUEST: So you think you can plan

Fun fact: I love calendars. I love writing down at what time everything should be done, and I love having a schedule to follow. Logically it then follows that I'm good at getting stuff done too, right? Well...the problem is I get distracted. By a video, an interesting discussion nearby, an instant message, these forums, you name it. I also think I sometimes don't realise how much time I spend trying to do something, but it amounts to nothing because the actual working time is maybe 10% of the total time I've spent doing it. So, I want to try a kind of reverse planning: I write down what I spend my time on so that I afterwards can see how I really spent my day.

Yes, this means writing down "spent 10 minutes checking Facebook" when I do that.

Yes, I totally stole this idea from Batwoman's challenge. It was too good not to take.

I hope this also will give a better idea of how much time I need to reserve for the important things like schoolstuff, and how much I can spend on fun activities like visiting my parents or fangirling on tumblr. Then I will also know if I have the time to help out in the student restaurant when they ask me for help or not.

REWARDS: +1 CHA +1 STA

I totally learned that tactic from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Nerdist-Way-Reach-Next-Level/dp/042525318X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1410804368&sr=1-1&keywords=chris+hardwick

It's definitely eye-opening to see what you actually do all day.

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

AMG! Totally subb'd!

Hey! Can you share those wrist exercises? I also have those cramps and such sometimes during my push-ups.

"This message was brought to you by my fingers which were activated by the electrical signals sent from my brain through a network of nerves and ganglia".

Why thank you. :) I can absolutely do that. The pamphlet I have is in Finnish, but I'll try to explain them...

1. Rolls: move your wrists in a circle, 10 times in each direction.

2. Wrist curls: like you'd do a bicep curl but only with the wrist.

3. Reverse wrist curls: like above, but with the back of your hand facing upwards

4. Twists: hold both ends of a small towel and twist your wrists in opposite directions, so that the middle of the towel is twisted.

5. Bends: holding the same towel as above, bend your hands downwards so that the towel forms an upside down U.

Start by doing each exercise 10 times, then work your way up towards more reps. And remember to stretch the wrists afterwards.

Good challenge for school-time- I hope. ;)

I can see why that piano piece is one of your favorites. It also gives us an idea of how good you were if you were able to play that! :)

That's what I hope as well. :)

Tee hee. ^_^ That version has the strings too, though, so it gets a more richer sound. Still, it sounds wonderful with only the piano as well.

I totally learned that tactic from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Nerdist-Way-Reach-Next-Level/dp/042525318X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1410804368&sr=1-1&keywords=chris+hardwick

It's definitely eye-opening to see what you actually do all day.

Well, would you look at that! Now if only Amazon would have cheaper shipping rates to Finland I would be happier...

Week 1 day 1 (September 15th)

New week and a new challenge, woop! I had a semi-busy day that started with me going through three months' (= the whole summer's) invoices and payments for the student nation I'm involved in. I, along with another guy, volunteer as unofficial accountants for the student nation, so every few months we go through all the money coming in and going out, trying to see if there are any discrepancies. This makes it easier for the actual accountant when he goes through everything once a year.

After staring at numbers for a little over an hour I was quite happy to pick up my gym bag and walk down to the gym. Two hours later I walked out again and went straight back to the student nation to get lunch (a student restaurant that the nation owns functions in the same building). I then spent some hours trying to make sense of the first assignment in my Computer Graphics course. I came to the conclusion that C++ isn't easy to learn on-the-go, but I did finally get the first exercise done. Only three to go, then...

At 18:00 I had a meeting concerning the upcoming big excursion to South America. We're a group of 20 students that are planning this trip together, and right now we're trying to raise money with the ultimate plan that no-one will have to pay a cent for the trip. This goal was met during the last big excursion in 2013, which went to China, and we've already raised almost half of our budget, so hopefully we'll get there! The meeting was mercifully quite short, and I was able to get home before the clock struck eight. I spent some time playing the piano and then settled down with my laptop for the rest of the evening.

Quest 1: Habit builder

No flossing today.

Wrist exercises done. They're so easy to do while waiting for the bus I found myself wondering why I haven't done that before. :tongue:

Face yet to be washed, but I'll most likely always do it right before I go to sleep.

Quest 2: Fitness

Went to the gym and did my workout, ending with a splits stretching routine. It was while doing the pull-ups that I really noticed how much my strength has decreased with no proper arm or back workouts for a long time.

Workout 15.9.2014

TRX:

Sprinter starts, 4x10 (2/leg)

Pistol squats, 8+7 right leg, 5+5 left leg

Inverted rows, 3x10

Tricep extensions, 3x10

Hamstring pull-ins, 3x10

Hip abductor, 3x10

Scapular retractions, 10 kg, 10+9+9

Assisted pull-up, -29 kg (64 lbs), 2 (aiming for 5, then decreasing the assisting weight)

Assisted dips, -12.7 kg (28 lbs), 2 (same as above)

Quest 3: Music

Spent ~15 minutes rehearsing The Heart Asks Pleasure First. Boy did I enjoy playing again!

Life quest:

Distractions and everything else have been successfully logged in my calendar today.  :eagerness: Writing down "15 minutes on Facebook" felt incredibly stupid. Hopefully that'll keep me from doing so again.

The week so far:

Flossing 0/1

Wrist exercises 1/7

Face washed 0/7

Workouts 1/6

Piano playing 1/4

• Like 2

While we're on the topic of wrist workouts, it's worth checking out this video

That's not a bad one. I'm not able to do the rocking position properly right now, though, since my wrists are too stiff. Like, I can't do crab walking because my left wrist won't bend that much. :P But the exercises look good, and I'll keep them in mind!

Your challenge looks great, I love the idea of reverse scheduling, since being off work ill I've found that days just drift by and eery night at 10pm I look back on the day and can't work out how it got away from me so quickly.

Also C++ is fairly easy to learn once you already have your head around OOP, I'm sure you'll do great :) (should mention I'm a software developer)

I'm definitely going to check out the splits routine, I used to work on my splits everyday and I've started thinking about improving flexibility again now that I'm scared of losing what little I have!

Half-Elf Ranger

[Level: 4 | STR 9 | DEX 5 | STA 9 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 7 ]

Feel free to visit - Current Challenge

Challenge 3 - Challenge 2 - Challenge 1

Feel free to add me as a Fitbit Friend

Your challenge looks great, I love the idea of reverse scheduling, since being off work ill I've found that days just drift by and eery night at 10pm I look back on the day and can't work out how it got away from me so quickly.

Also C++ is fairly easy to learn once you already have your head around OOP, I'm sure you'll do great :) (should mention I'm a software developer)

I'm definitely going to check out the splits routine, I used to work on my splits everyday and I've started thinking about improving flexibility again now that I'm scared of losing what little I have!

Thanks! :) I'm trying to get some kind of grip of that lost time you just mentioned.

Heh, well let's say I spent a while yesterday trying to understand how I make a simple shape move in three dimensions using designated keys on the keyboard. :D I did get it after a while, but the C++ syntax really threw me off for some reason. Now I'm trying to render a cone consisting of forty triangles...

I really liked it, but be warned that it takes a while to get through! I logged 35 minutes of stretching yesterday. :D

Thanks! :) I'm trying to get some kind of grip of that lost time you just mentioned.

Heh, well let's say I spent a while yesterday trying to understand how I make a simple shape move in three dimensions using designated keys on the keyboard. :D I did get it after a while, but the C++ syntax really threw me off for some reason. Now I'm trying to render a cone consisting of forty triangles...

I really liked it, but be warned that it takes a while to get through! I logged 35 minutes of stretching yesterday. :D

ooooo so it's not only C++ but 3D graphics C++? fun fun! A lot of the finl year project at university was in that area, takes A LOT of getting used to but well worth it once you do. Are you using a physics engine or just graphics? (playing with physics engines just makes it more fun hehe)

Yeh it does look long, I might just aim to do it a couple evenings a week whilst watching tv and see if it seems right for me

Half-Elf Ranger

ooooo so it's not only C++ but 3D graphics C++? fun fun! A lot of the finl year project at university was in that area, takes A LOT of getting used to but well worth it once you do. Are you using a physics engine or just graphics? (playing with physics engines just makes it more fun hehe)

Yeh it does look long, I might just aim to do it a couple evenings a week whilst watching tv and see if it seems right for me

Just graphics, for now at least. I'm not sure what the professor has planned for the rest of the course. But I got both a cone and a tetraeder rendered after a little more work today.  :encouragement: Thanks to my reverse scheduling I noticed that understanding what I have to do in a particular exercise takes double or triple the time I then need to actually write down the code, test it and get it to work. I'm expecting that to change pretty soon.  :D 99 little bugs in the code...

Week 1 day 2 (September 16th)

Even though I had my only lesson today at 12:30 I got up at 8, the same time boyfriend needed to wake up. I managed to be quite effective, right until the moment I picked up the iPad. I then spent more than an hour just playing games on it, and when I noticed how much time had passed I got irritated with myself. Especially since I've started to notice one of the most recent games I downloaded seems to be a pay-to-win one, which is I concept I deeply detest. Still, I got myself out of the house and to campus with more than an hour to spare before the lesson started. I spent that hour drinking green tea and sending some important emails.

The lesson today was a Spanish class I'm taking, and I find it very amusing to once again sit in a classroom, answering the teacher's questions and doing oral assignments together with the other students there. More than once I felt like I was back in high school, complete with me not having to put a lot of effort into it and still getting perfect answers. After the class it was time for lunch (fish soup, yum), and then I spent another hour sending and reading emails before I could get my computer graphics assignment started. A couple of hours later I had completed two more exercises and headed off to dance practice.

One of my dance squad buddies had put together a quite demanding warmup for us today. It started with a 10 minute jog, then proceeded to HIIT, including interval training, and ended with some bodyweight exercises. The whole warmup took us 50 minutes to complete, and I'm very happy we did it outside on the sports field, because I definitely got warm enough! After that small workout we proceeded to our dance practice. 1h10min later I could finally start heading home Now, after showering, eating and some web surfing I'm starting to feel quite ready for bed.

No flossing today.

Wrist exercises done.

Face has been washed.

Dance practise with an exhausting warmup.

Not today. I'll probably never have the energy to play on tuesday evenings since our dance practice takes place so late.

Life quest:

Life has been logged. 1h30 min iPad gaming is something I don't want to see in my calendar again.

The week so far:

Flossing 0/1

Wrist exercises 2/7

Face washed 2/7

Workouts 2/6

Piano playing 1/4

• Like 2

Just graphics, for now at least. I'm not sure what the professor has planned for the rest of the course. But I got both a cone and a tetraeder rendered after a little more work today.  :encouragement: Thanks to my reverse scheduling I noticed that understanding what I have to do in a particular exercise takes double or triple the time I then need to actually write down the code, test it and get it to work. I'm expecting that to change pretty soon.  :D 99 little bugs in the code...

Haha congrats on getting your shapes working. Ah don't worry about the time spent on it, I'm constantly reading and re-reading sentances trying to understand what they're saying :redface-new:

Day 2 looks great, I wouldn't call 50 minutes of anything a warm-up, sounds pretty intense! And then dancing and surfing to boot? you're a machine! :)

Half-Elf Ranger

That's a crazy "warm-up" but awesome for doing it AND then all the dancing on top of it. It's great you have something you really enjoy doing to get you moving!

level 2 Hobbit. Assassin-in-training

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge: There and back again

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

Wow- that "warm-up" is an intense workout all on its own! You will be quite the superhero by this performance.

Great start to your challenge!

Day 2 looks great, I wouldn't call 50 minutes of anything a warm-up, sounds pretty intense! And then dancing and surfing to boot? you're a machine! :)

That's a crazy "warm-up" but awesome for doing it AND then all the dancing on top of it. It's great you have something you really enjoy doing to get you moving!

Wow- that "warm-up" is an intense workout all on its own! You will be quite the superhero by this performance.

Great start to your challenge!

Yeah, H went a liiittle bit overboard with preparing a warmup, so it's more accurate to say we started with a 10min warmup jog, then had a 40 minute workout and then proceeded to work on the choreographies. :D I noticed a few in the group were a bit too tired to perform properly during the dancing part, so I'll have to tell H to take it easier the next time it's her turn to plan the warmup. But I can't deny it was a good workout! 

• Like 1

Week 1 day 3 (September 17th)

Today I managed to be more effective in the morning, even though I had to spend a lot of time coaxing boyfriend out of bed and then convincing him to drink something warm to help his sore throat. He turns into such a baby when he's feeling even a little bit sick, urgh! Anyway, I went straight to the gym and went through a session of a little of this, a little of that. Since my legs got an extra workout yesterday I decided to skip those kind of exercises and focused on upper body and core strength instead. But when I went to try dead hangs I bumped into a problem: my grip slipped almost immediately, I couldn't hold on for more than two seconds. This happened both with the metal bar and the one that has some kind of hard foam rubber on it. When I tried hanging from the wooden rings I could hold on for seven seconds, but not more. I knew I sucked at hanging, but this was way worse than expected. I also couldn't find any bar low enough that I'd be able to do negatives, which bummed me out. I really need to get a pull-up bar for home (but first I need to move so I'll have a suitable door opening to put it up in). Any tips on doing better on the dead hangs is greatly appreciated.

After showering I went to TF to drop off my gym bag before heading to my next lecture. What's TF, you ask? That's the student nation I've been talking about before. I decided to just start calling it by the name it's commonly known, since writing out "student nation" every time would start irritating me sooner or later. You're going to hear a lot about it still, as I spend most of my non-lecture-time on campus there (btw, TF = Teknologföreningen).

Aaaanyway, I bought a coffee and really didn't feel like going to the lecture since I'd have to walk all the way across campus to get to the right building AND I was wearing heels, but I went anyway. Hah! Take that, laziness! The lecture was actually quite interesting (about Bézier curves and surfaces), but I still managed to zone out now and then. Whoops, something to work on!

Once the lecture ended I walked back to TF to get lunch (spaghetti because it's wednesday), derped around on the NF boards a bit and then spent about an hour finishing the last mandatory computer graphics exercise for this round. Three cheers! At 17:00 there was a debate between the two candidates running for chairman of the board (of TF) next year, which I naturally went to as I'm still very interested in what happens at the nation. Only after that could I head home to do my Spanish homework and pay some bills. I didn't get to play the piano, though, because I very much dislike playing with headphones on (the sound comes from the wrong direction!) and boyfriend decided that he wanted to be difficult and whiny and insisted I had to play with headphones on so I wouldn't disturb him. Well thanks.

Time for bed, I think.

No flossing today.

Wrist exercises done. 

Face has been cleansed.

Went to the gym.

Wednesday workout

Push-ups, 8+8+8

Pike diamond push-ups, 8+8+8

Leg raises (lying on the floor), 8+8+8

Inverted rows, 7+7+6

Plank on the elbows, 43s

Dead hang, 7s <-- woop de doo

Scapular retractions, 10 kg, 10+10+10

Assisted pull-ups, -29kg (64lbs), 2,5

Assisted dips, -12,7kg (28lbs), 3

It seems I'll have to level up at least some of these exercises.

No, because of boyfriend. Stupid thing for me to get upset about, I know, but I really, really don't like playing with headphones on. :(

Life quest:

Life has been logged.

The week so far:

Flossing 0/1

Wrist exercises 3/7

Face washed 3/7

Workouts 3/6

Piano playing 1/4

"Student nation" certainly sounds better to me. Sometimes it's completely gangsta, others I imagine you as a mad dictator talking to the student masses from a balcony :P

As for the dead hangs, perhaps your arms and hands were tired from the previous upper body exercises. Otherwise, it's probably about low grip strength. Most typical workouts don't include a lot of stuff that works the muscles from your elbow to your hand, so initially you're balanced but after a while grip strength falls behind compared to biceps, triceps etc. I don't have any good videos handy (lol unintentional pun) for improving grip strength, but if you spend some time researching that you should be able to find something you can do.

I used to do an exercise where I held the barbell with the inside of my palms facing upward, in a clenched grip. Then I'd let the weight slowly lower my fists and open my fingers as I controlled the bar rolling down my fingers, then do the reverse move as I rolled it up, gripped it and raised my fists. There was also the opposite exercise, holding the bar with the palm insides facing the floor, then pulling the fists backwards, as if driving a motorcycle that you wanted to go faster. I don't know if any of it makes sense, but hope it helps.

Lvl 44 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

"Student nation" certainly sounds better to me. Sometimes it's completely gangsta, others I imagine you as a mad dictator talking to the student masses from a balcony :tongue:

Funny you should say that, because while I was a member of the board we made an own version of the Hitler rants video. :D Although if I need to choose a dictator I'd prefer to be Saruman.

Cartel.JPG

I think my problem with dead hangs is mostly my lack of grip strength, but increasing my upper body strength certainly couldn't hurt either. That's what I'm trying to do with the dead hangs though, hmm. I'll need to schedule some workout planning time this weekend, since I want to have a clear schedule I can follow instead of the "oh, I'll do this today" that I have right now. I'll search for some dead hang tips at the same time, although your exercise sounds quite promising already!

• Like 1

I feel your pain with your bf, you should see mine when he has a small headache haha! Also with the pull up bar, I live in a 3 bedroom house and can't find anywhere I'd trust to put a pull up bar :(

Half-Elf Ranger

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines