Leothil

Also with the pull up bar, I live in a 3 bedroom house and can't find anywhere I'd trust to put a pull up bar :(

I'm gonna have a requirement for the next house/apartment I live in: must have room to do workouts, and must have at least one sturdy doorway to hang a pullup bar in.

Tapatalk has no idea what I'm doing.

• Like 1

Level 4 Half-Elf Assassin

(that dabbles with the scouts)

Tumblr | Blog | Epic quest

"There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect; that's what makes it so beautiful."

Hooray for workouts and defeating the laziness monster! I understand about disliking playing with headphones on- when I used to play horn, I absolutely detested using the practice mute. It messed up the sound too much. :(

I wonder if your grip will improve as you do more of your wrist exercises? Maybe you can work a bit on grip while doing some of the wrist exercises?

I am glad to see that you are staying focused!

I'll try to write a shorter post today since I'm quite tired already.

So, Thursday. It was the first day this fall that it was so cold I was been able to see my breath! Only in the morning and the evening though, the day is still so warm you don't want to wear a jacket outside. I had an early morning since I have a Spanish class at 8:30 every Thursday, but I surprised myself by not yawning once on my way to campus. Everything felt a bit better when I got a cup of coffee after class, though! From 11 to 14:30 I worked in the student restaurant that is owned by and operates in the same building as TF. Since I've worked there several times both the CFO and the restaurant manager often ask me to cover for someone. I like the work; it can be a bit stressful if the line is very long (on spaghetti days it regularly reaches the main entrance, which is almost 100 meters from the cash register), but the atmosphere among the employees is wonderful and it's a nice way to earn some extra money.

Also, it has a great marketing campaign. :D

546106_436852883068905_1095365836_n.jpg?

The guy is the restaurant manager, and the text says "Can we eat more spaghetti? YES WE CAN".

Once they no longer needed me in the restaurant I went upstairs to work a bit more on my computer graphics assignment. I managed to finish two extra credit-exercises, mostly owing to my fantastic friend explaining things to me and pointing out stupid mistakes in my code. I have also decided that programming computer graphics definitely isn't my cup of tea, but that it's interesting to learn how things work. Luckily media technology is my minor and not my major! :)

Once I got my code working I headed back home. The plan was to go for a run straight away, but since my phone's battery was running low I had to wait while it charged. I spent that time boiling and eating an egg, which I noted I've done several times once coming home these last two weeks. Not that it's a habit I object to, it's just interesting to see how my eating habits are changing! ^_^ I also took some time to practise The Heart Asks Pleasure First again. It was past eight when I finally went outside and started running, which meant it was already dark and getting colder. I put on the first mission in Zombies, run! and found myself quite enjoying the story. Since it was so late I only did a 30min run, and I surprised myself by running 4km in that time, which means way less than 8min/km! Also, since when does a 4km run feel short to me?! My short runs used to be, like, 1km! Admittedly, my pulse was very high the whole run, but when I was done I felt like I could've kept going. This is a very good start towards better 5k and 10k running times!

UWTJEDK.jpg

My HR monitor disagrees with the app a bit: according to it I ran for 33:50 and 4,01km. I'm not sure which one to trust more...

Quest 1: Habit builder

No flossing today.

Wrist exercises done. 

Face has been washed.

Quest 2: Fitness

Ran from zombies. Got accepted into Abel Township.

Quest 3: Music

Yes! Still working on The Heart Asks Pleasure First: first to be able to play it flawlessly and then by heart.

Life quest:

Life has been logged.

The week so far:

Flossing 0/1

Wrist exercises 4/7

Face washed 4/7

Workouts 4/6

Piano playing 2/4

• Like 3

"There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect; that's what makes it so beautiful."

That was a great challenge day!

When I first started the habit of flossing, I started with just flossing 1/4 of my teeth. It seems silly, but it helped because it was not so much time, so I was more willing to start. :)

Week 1 day 5 (September 19th)

I forgot to log in yesterday because of stuff, so friday's and saturday's updates will be posted back to back.

Even though I got to sleep longer since my lecture didn't start until 10, I managed to be so tired that I almost fell asleep during the lecture. Whoops. But I did manage to catch that our professor mentioned that we might get a guest lecture by the lead designer of Destiny. Now that could be interesting! After class I went to work at TF's student restaurant again. On fridays one of the meals we serve is grilled salmon. It's unbelievably popular and usually runs out several hours before we close, so of course the queue was crazy long again. It actually went out the door by the time I got there.

When the restaurant closed and we had cleaned everything up I went by the gym to pick up my timing chip and shirt for the 10k run this sunday. I might have forgotten to mention it: this weekend the city of Espoo arranges a marathon, a half marathon and a 10k race, and the 10k is free for everyone studying at Aalto university. Score. :) Because of that upcoming race and the fact that my workouts this week had given med crazy DOMS I decided to skip my gym workout today to give my muscles extra time to rest. I was also a bit worried about overstraining them with this many workouts after a long pause.

I was very happy to finally get home and have a nice friday night. It should be mentioned that I spent a lot of it proofreading a website for one of TF's board members. I really should learn to say no every now and then. :P

No flossing today.

Wrist exercises done. 

Face was washed.

Took a rest day.

Yes! Still working on The Heart Asks Pleasure First.

Life quest:

Life was kinda logged.

The week so far:

Flossing 0/1

Wrist exercises 5/7

Face washed 5/7

Workouts 4/6

Piano playing 3/4

• Like 1

Week 1 day 6 (September 20th)

Enter the biggest threat against me completing a challenge: the weekend. I did manage to stay on track surprisingly well, though, considering the days I don't have a clear schedule most often lead to me eating bad stuff or not doing anything. Not that I've been exactly productive today (I still need to turn in my computer graphics assignment, which means compiling it and writing a readme, aaah!), but at least I haven't just sat on the sofa. Our whole household decided to go a kind of technology fair, which in practice was one of the big electronics stores setting up a giant shop in the Exhibition and Convention Centre and selling lots of stuff at a reduced price. It was a bit like going to a gigantic store's opening, except the store would close again after the weekend. Anyway, since boyfriend had decided to buy an iPad (he's developing a game for iOS in school and it'd be good for him to be able to test the game at home) we figured he could just as well buy one at a reduced price.

I should have realised an electronics fair would be a dangerous place. A couple of hours later we walked out with an iPad min, a cover for it, a curling iron, a printer, a new alarm clock for boyfriend and a new wireless mouse for my laptop. I'm just lucky I didn't decide to buy a mixer, a kitchen aid and a new coffee maker as well! I got the printer set up fairly quickly, then my roommate and I rode our bikes to the nearby shopping centre to get some fish and vegetables. She'd gotten a lot of sushi ingredients from her mother, but we needed something to fill the makis with. We also got a bottle of wine to enjoy this evening.

RXrolXEl.jpg

It was delicious.

The roommates also decided they'd like to warm the sauna tonight, so they did. While they were enoying the sauna I did a session of yoga, and then boyfriend and I took our turn in the sauna. Now I am extremely relaxed.

No flossing today. Have to do it tomorrow morning.

Wrist exercises done. 

Face was thoroughly washed while sauna-ing.

Yoga.

Played some after the sauna. Then I remembered why playing with very soft fingers isn't a good idea.

Life quest:

No loggin today. Boo!

The week so far:

Flossing 0/1

Wrist exercises 6/7

Face washed 6/7

Workouts 5/6

Piano playing 4/4

• Like 3

Tech fair and sushi- oooh!

Good luck at the 10k!

Week 1 day 7 (September 21st)

I knew I was nervous about the race when I woke up several times between 6 and 9 just to check that I wasn't sleeping for too long. :D When I finally decided to get up I spent a lot of time doing nothing until I had to leave. The race started and ended at my campus, but because it's sunday the public transport had much fewer departures and I had to take a train+train+bus to get there. Half an hour before the start a gym instructor held a warmup, and during it I spotted some of my friends from school. Some of them were running together, but I still ended up going alone, since some of them were going for less than one hour (way too fast for me) and the rest were just set on finishing, so they ran slower than me.

I put on a zombies, run! mission while running and picked up quite a lot of loot during the 10 km run. However, it seems I really shouldn't trust the app's distance counter, since it now started telling me I'd run so-and-so many kilometers while my HR monitor showed I still had 2-300 meters to go. So, in the future I'll trust my HR monitor with the distance logging!

The result:

1KUJptz.jpg

(I had to get a screenshot since these forums apparently hate Garmin Connect and iframe)

A final time of 1:21:50 means I actually improved my 10k time with 6 whole minutes. CAN I HAVE A WOOP WOOP?  :onthego:

(A part of me is trying to whine that I was so close to getting less than 1:20, but I'm trying my best to ignore that part)

I really loved the route they had chosen. First there were a lot of offices to run past, but once we got past the highway we were running right by the beach on an absolutely lovely little sand road, and although we had to get back on asphalt every now and then (like when running right by the highway) we stayed mostly on small walkways, especially after we got back into the campus area. 4.5/5, would recommend.

My legs fared much better in this race than they did in the last, which I'm very happy about. I'm hoping to avoid the absolutely horrible case of DOMS I got that time! This meant I could walk home (from the train) normally instead of looking like my legs are unable to bend at any joint. I spent the evening relaxing after the ordeal, but managed to do some adulting by washing the dishes and putting the dry clothes back into the wardrobe.

To wrap it up, here's a picture of me and two friends before and after the race. They did their first ever 10k and managed to run the whole course in less than 1:30!  :applouse:

e0k7htAl.jpg

Did the flossing this morning!

Wrist exercises done. 

Face was washed in the shower, might do another round before bed.

Aaltokymppi 10k race.

Not today.

Life quest:

Did no logging.

Week 1 recap:

Flossing 1/1

Wrist exercises 7/7

Face washed 7/7

Workouts 6/6

Piano playing 4/4

Would you look at that, I got myself a perfect week! :encouragement:

• Like 2

Wahoo! Congrats on improving your time by 6 minutes!!!!!! :)

What an amazing week 1, Leothil!

whoop whoop!!! well done on the race and the timing and having fun! Sounds like you had an awesome first week getting back into training and habit-building. And you've definitely inspired me to keep up with the running, so exciting to see your times improve!

level 2 Hobbit. Assassin-in-training

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge: There and back again

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

OH SNAP! WOOP WOOP to you girly! You deserve it!

This message was brought to you by "my five fingers and co."backed up by, "the jolt of electrical signals from my brain speeding through a network of nerves and ganglia".

Class and Profession: Rangers
Background: 25 year old Nerdling. Here to kick some health......butt?? I need to work on that.

Current Challenge: Hani Gets Back On The Health Choo-Choo

Wahoo! Congrats on improving your time by 6 minutes!!!!!! :)

What an amazing week 1, Leothil!

whoop whoop!!! well done on the race and the timing and having fun! Sounds like you had an awesome first week getting back into training and habit-building. And you've definitely inspired me to keep up with the running, so exciting to see your times improve!

6 minutes is a huge improvement, good show!

OH SNAP! WOOP WOOP to you girly! You deserve it!

This message was brought to you by "my five fingers and co."backed up by, "the jolt of electrical signals from my brain speeding through a network of nerves and ganglia".

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! Getting positive feedback here makes the good feeling double! ^_^

Week n+1 day 1, where n=1 (September 22nd)

I'm going to call this week n+1 since in both of my earlier challenges I got sick during week 2. So this is not going to be week 2 for me!

Monday means back to business, but since I didn't have anything scheduled for the whole day (!!) I let myself sleep in. On my way to campus I stopped by the local library to pick up a book reservation, Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I started reading it in the bus, and so far it seems quite good! Once at campus I spent a few hours sending emails asking companies if they'd be interested in sponsoring the trip to South America I'm participating in. When I went to get lunch I noticed it had started raining, so I spent an extra hour at TF hoping it would stop, because of course I'd forgotten my umbrella at home.

It did not stop.

I was very determined not to let that stop me from going to the gym, though, so a little past three I braved the rain and walked down to the gym. Success! After the 10k ordeal I'd decided to let my legs rest and focused on upper body exercises, all the while hoping the rain would stop or at least become lighter while I was working out.

Push-ups, 8+8+8. Seems the last time wasn't a fluke and I can start leveling up!

Pike push-ups, 8+8+8. May advance to diamond pike push-ups next time.

Inverted rows, 8+6+7

Dead hang, 10s from gymnastic rings. +3s from last time!

Upright row, 7kg, 10+10+10

Overhead press, 5kg, 14+10+8

Overhead tricep extension, 10kg, 15+12+10

Scapular retractions, 15kg, 6+7+5

Assisted pull-ups, -29kg(64lbs), 3,5

Assisted dips, -12,7kg (28lbs), 4

It. Did. Not.

To give myself a slightly better feeling I put on a supply run mission in Zombies, run and listened to it while walking to the bus stop. I then paused it for the bus rides and put it on again once I got off at my own stop. Oh, and the trip home took well over and hour because of crazy traffic, so I wasn't in the best mood when I arrived home, wet, cold and tired. I guess I got my shower on my way home, though...

I changed into my wonderful onepiece and then watched Night of Champions (WWE) with boyfriend. Watching Damien Sandow Mizdow imitating The Miz's every move cheered me up a lot, for some weird reason.

LightJollyAplomadofalcon.gif

(They just won the Intercontinental Championship so they're celebrating)

The rest of the night was chilling, but we did make pancakes since we had some milk that was getting old. They were delicious. Now, fingers crossed that I won't get the flu again!

No flossing today.

Wrist exercises done. I also remembered to increase the amount! 

Face will be washed right about now.

Upper body day at the gym.

Not today, which means I'll have to do several days in a row later this week.

Life quest:

I've tried my best to keep up the logging. It usually stops whenever I get home, although I do consider that my free time so it doesn't matter that much. :P The quest was about getting a grip during the hours I should be working, after all.

The week so far:

Flossing 0/1

Wrist exercises 1/7

Face washed 1/7

Workouts 1/6

Piano playing 0/4

• Like 1

Nice way to persevere in getting to the gym in spite of the rain. Here is to a great week n+1!

• Like 1

Week n+1, where n=1, day 2 (September 23rd)

I could've been productive this day, and every now and then I really tried, but somehow most of it amounted to nothing. I gave myself another sleep-in, spent the morning playing with the iPad and got to campus in time for my Spanish lesson at 12:30. After class lunch was had and I made an attempt at starting my next computer graphics assignment, but once I had downloaded and unzipped it I went back to doing nothing on the internet. At six my dance squad's practises started, and at least they went well. We even got a new member, that I hope we didn't manage to scare off by being all weird. :P

I am seriously lacking motivation to do any assignments right now. I think it's my fear of not understanding what I need to do that prevents me from even starting, which of course makes everything even worse since there's the added stress of knowing I have even less time left to do everything. Bad, bad, swirling vortex of terror. I should know better, but apparently I don't.

No flossing today.

Wrist exercises done.

Face will be washed.

Dance practise.

Not today either. Did some singing, though.

Life quest:

Logged and realised how much time I was wasting.

The week so far:

Flossing 0/1

Wrist exercises 2/7

Face washed 2/7

Workouts 2/6

Piano playing 0/4

• Like 1

Week n+1, where n=1, day 3 (September 24th)

It's lucky boyfriend needed to wake up early as well, otherwise I don't think I would've had the discipline to get up before 9. As it was, we both woke up at 7:45 and could enjoy breakfast together. Well...I read the paper and he played on his iPad, but at least we had it at the same time, which is more than most mornings. I was out the door at 9:05 (after some iPadplaying) and arrived at the gym 9:45. I did my TRX workout and then a deep stretching, working on my splits. For some reason my right leg felt much stiffer than before, and I couldn't get as deep as I have before.

TRX

Sprinter starts, right leg, 10+10+10

Sprinter starts, left lef, 10+10+10

Pistol squats, right leg, 8+8

Pistol squats, left leg, 6+5

Inverted rows, right under the anchor point, 6+8+8

Tricep extensions, 10+10+9,5

Hamstring pull-ins, 10+10+10

Hip abductor, 10+10+10

Scapular retractions, 15kg, 10+10+10

Assisted pull-ups, -29kg (64lbs), 4,5

Assisted dips, -12,7kg (28lbs), 5

Stretching

20 front leg swings/leg

20 side leg swings/leg

20 back leg swings/leg

1 min standing splits hamstring floss/leg

1 min pidgeon pose/leg

1 min couch stretch/leg

2x1 min middle split

2x1 min front split, left leg

2x1 min front split, right leg

2 min 30 s pancake split

Once done and showered I hurried via TF, to get a cup of coffee, to my computer graphics lecture. I had a lot of emails to answer, and sadly my focusing on the computer led to me not hearing much of the lecture. The lecture slides looked good, though, so I hope I'll be able to read them and understand what was going on...

After the lecture I had planned on going back to TF for lunch, but instead I ended up going to Varusteleka, an army and outdoor store, with my friend. If you haven't heard of Varusteleka yet, you need to watch this video they made trying to get Arnold Schwarzenegger to visit the store. Getting there and just browsing around took two hours, but my friend found himself a good fall coat and I bought some caffeinated chocolate.

10654979_707930882629692_1337820039_n.jp

Emergency rations are always good to have. :)

I contemplated being productive in the evening, but that amounted to nothing. More stress, hello!

I think I need to schedule a study date.

No flossing today.

Wrist exercises done.

Face was washed.

TRX workout and deep stretching.

Not today either. I felt no inspiration.

Life quest:

Logged.

The week so far:

Flossing 0/1

Wrist exercises 3/7

Face washed 3/7

Workouts 3/6

Piano playing 0/4

OOh emergency rations!  :)

Doing good on week n+1, despite rain and unmotivation (just making up words, don't mind me)

Hope you manage to get the assignments done without too much stress, think of them like a workout, you just need to get your foot out the door to run, so you just need to open the work and start reading. 

level 2 Hobbit. Assassin-in-training

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge: There and back again

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

I have found that something similar happens with me: the more stress I have and the less fun stuff I have to look forward to, the more time I waste web surfing or just putzing around. Feeling nervous about my ability to do the work makes it worse. Sometimes building in a reward helps (such as, 'when I finish this assignment I will read 2 chapters of my favorite book), but sometimes I just have to set a timer on my phone for 20 minutes, and declare that I will do nothing other than the dreaded project during that time. For me, getting over the inertia of getting started is often all I need.

Do you feel that you have a way to get help if you get stuck?

Hope you manage to get the assignments done without too much stress, think of them like a workout, you just need to get your foot out the door to run, so you just need to open the work and start reading.

I know, I should know better than to put them off. For some reason programming is very high on my list of "stuff I should be able to do but actually aren't that good at and therefore it feels better not to do it". I did get the first exercise done yesterday night, though! After lots of help from a friend, but still. It now generates Bézier curves.

I have found that something similar happens with me: the more stress I have and the less fun stuff I have to look forward to, the more time I waste web surfing or just putzing around. Feeling nervous about my ability to do the work makes it worse. Sometimes building in a reward helps (such as, 'when I finish this assignment I will read 2 chapters of my favorite book), but sometimes I just have to set a timer on my phone for 20 minutes, and declare that I will do nothing other than the dreaded project during that time. For me, getting over the inertia of getting started is often all I need.

Do you feel that you have a way to get help if you get stuck?

I try to do kind of the same as you, give myself some reward to look forward to and/or try to get inertia working. Knowing I have less time than usual to finish it puts me in denial instead of action mode, something that should be improved on. :/ But what I really should do is schedule a study date, I think, with one or more friends who know this stuff, because clearly I don't have enough discipline to do it on my own. Or rather, when I have no-one to ask I can't move forward in the exercise and get stuck mentally. Once my knowledgeable friend came online yesterday and I started asking him questions, finishing the exercise took less than an hour.

• Like 1

Ahhhh... I didn't know what pistol squats were so I looked it up... they look hard! :nightmare:

Oh yes. :D I couldn't do them without something to hold on to. I could get down but not up with my right leg, and not even all the way down with my left. And as it is I can't even manage that many with the TRX as support.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines