Leothil

I hope the festival went well. It sounds like fun!

Helloooo Rebels! I did manage to survive the weekend, although I paid for it with some sleep deprivation and dehydration dure to alcohol-related stuff. Fortunately my body rejects hangovers, and I didn't have that much anyway.

Long story short: weekend was fun, the festival was fun, it was great to meet friends from other orhchestras and dance squads again, and since the festival was so close this year I made it home in time to go visit my sister Sunday night. I did not have time for any workouts, but our three performances and the sheer amount of walking we did (anytime we had to get anywhere we had to walk, so we walked back and forth across the city center several times) easily counts as two or three workouts.

Week 3 recap:

Flossing 2/2

Wrist exercises 14/14

Face washed 7/7

Workouts 5/6 - Three performances and lots of walking is accounted for!

Piano playing 3/4 - I played some backstage before the big concert. :)

• Like 1

Level 4 Half-Elf Assassin

(that dabbles with the scouts)

Tumblr | Blog | Epic quest

"There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect; that's what makes it so beautiful."

Woohoo! Gatherings like that are so much fun!

And yes, walking a lot counts for workouts. :)

• Like 1

Alright, I'm a bit behind on the updates so I'll keep some of them brief.

Week 4 day 1 (October 6th)

I did absolutely nothing all day. Well, I did do my Spanish homework, but that's it. No excuses, I was just really tired.

Quest 1: Habit builder
No flossing today.
Wrist exercises half-done.
Face was washed.

Quest 2: Fitness
Nothing.

Quest 3: Music
Not today.

Life quest:
Nope.

The week so far:
Flossing 0/2
Wrist exercises 1/14
Face washed 1/7
Workouts 0/6
Piano playing 0/4

Week 4 day 2 (October 7th)

I tried getting back to business today but still suffered from extra tiredness. Managed to pull a good warmup for my dance squad, though, using the current Assassin mini challenge. We also finished a choreography, so now it's time for me to pull out the whips and get it perfected.

After the weekend my right hip has been bothering me, most likely since my ancle was hurting when we got to Turku and it probably made me walk funny, or at least not in a normal way. And now my hip is paying the price.

Flossed when I got home!
Wrist exercises done.
Face was washed.

Dance squad practise with a mini challenge warmup.

Not today.

Life quest:
Something got logged.

The week so far:
Flossing 1/2
Wrist exercises 3/14
Face washed 2/7
Workouts 1/6
Piano playing 0/4

• Like 1

"There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect; that's what makes it so beautiful."

Week 4 day 3 (October 8th)

Happy birthday to my dad!

I was a good, effective girl in the morning and got myself to the gym kinda on time. I went for a TRX workout, since it focuses more on upper body and I still was a bit worried about my leg (I can't walk normally since it hurts).

TRX workout

Sprinter starts, 20+10 both legs

Pistol squats, right leg, 9+8

Pistol squats, left leg, 5+4                      * a slight regression here, need to check it next time

Inverted rows, directly under the anchor point, 9+9+8

Tricep extension, 10+10+10

Hamstring pull-in, 10+10+10

Hip abductor, 10+10+10

Scapular retractions, 25kg, 10+10+10

Assisted pull-up, -29kg (64lbs), 4.5       * as expected

Assisted dips, -10kg (22lbs), 3              * previous -12kg (28lbs)

When I got out from the gym it had started raining, and of course I didn't have an umbrella. Luckily I could borrow one while walking to class, but after walking back and forth across campus with a borrowed umbrella I was tired of the rain and my shoes were very wet. So I sent a message to my sister, as I knew she was borrowing mum's car today, and ask if she wanted to give me a ride home. She was a completely adorable little sister and came to pick me up almost immediately. ^_^ I got to be home a couple of hours, catching up on The Big Bang Theory, before she came to pick me and boyfriend up again for our dad's birthday dinner. Mum made raclette and it was dee-licious! It was so nice to be homehome for a while again!

No flossing today.
Wrist exercises done.
Face was washed.

Gym.

Played a bit at home.

Life quest:
Yeah.

The week so far:
Flossing 1/2
Wrist exercises 5/14
Face washed 3/7
Workouts 2/6
Piano playing 1/4

• Like 1

Good set of updates! Glad you listened to your body when you were tired and sore, and that you got back to the gym when you could. I hope your hip feels better soon!

• Like 1

Week 4 day 4 (October 9th)

Ladies and gentlemen, a friendly PSA: your sore hip does not get better by you doing squats. If anything,it gets worse.

That was pretty much thursday for me. Not being able to walk properly I abandoned all thoughts of exercise and spent the day mostly sitting. I could've started working on the next round of computer graphics assignments, but unfortunately it's something I really, really don't want to do, and since the deadline is more than a week a way I have a hard time convincing myself I should get a headstart.

But I manage to get an epiphany during the day. Today's lunch in TF's cafeteria was fried flounder, and when I went to get potatoes and salad to go with it I started wondering why even bother to get the smallest potato I can find, since the batch-cooked potatoes often taste nothing at all and I don't feel like eating it. I realised I do the same thing with rice: I spoon as little as I can onto my plate, and still leave some of it uneaten. I somehow have the feeling that it isn't a full meal if I don't have some potatoes or rice with whatever fish or meat that is the course of the day, which of course is a very stupid thing to think, especially since I most often don't feel like eating the dry rice or spongy potatoes. Why should I then dump some of it on my plate at all? Quite a small thing, but it might make a difference to me.

I got some good dinner, at least! We had half an eggplant and half a zucchini in the fridge, and on my way home I went by the store to get some mushrooms, so I just cut them all into slices, put them in the frying pan and enjoyed a very nommy paleo meal. Boyfriend didn't look convinced (he'd already eaten when I got home so I made dinner just for me), but that sucker stays slim as a young birch tree no matter what he eats, so he's spoiled on fries and other convenience food. I still need to convert him to the side of the vegetables.

No flossing today.
Wrist exercises done.
Face was washed.

Skipped due to hip problems.

No. Need to start thinking more of this.

Life quest:
Yes.

The week so far:
Flossing 1/2
Wrist exercises 7/14
Face washed 4/7
Workouts 2/6
Piano playing 1/4

• Like 3

Do it Leothil! For the vegetables! :playful:

It is hard though, when one person can eat whatever and one person is trying to eat more healthily. Good work choosing the veggies for yourself!

Sorry about your hip, I hope you can try do some stretches to try ease the pain. And definitely give yourself some leeway on exercising, don't want to injure yourself too badly!

Have a good weekend!!

• Like 1

level 2 Hobbit. Assassin-in-training

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge: There and back again

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

As long as you are getting some healthy carbs, it may not be necessary for you to eat some at every meal. Just pay attention to how your body responds. :)

And I hope your hip heals well and soon!

• Like 1

Week 4 day 5 (October 10th)

Hmm, it seems I'm falling behind again. I should do something about that.

Due to a cancelled lecture and my hip still acting up I had no reason to go to campus today. Boyfriend also had an empty schedule, so we spent the day at home together and went to the local Asian restaurant for lunch. Their lunch buffet has a great assortment of sushi! Other than that I didn't leave home until about six in the evening. TF's beer society organized an Oktoberfest this evening and had asked my dance squad if we wanted to perform. Four of us, myself included, were able to show up, and even though we performed one of our old dances we fixed our clothes to fit the theme a bit better.

XFybY2jl.jpg

Quite. ;) The guy in the middle is from the orchestra we usually perform with. He just happened to be in the building as well, but happily joined our gang and decided to introduce us to the audience.

After the performance we got some food and beer, and about an hour later it was time for the first volleyball game of the season. The orchestra and the dance squad always participate in the volleyball tournament organized by the gym on campus, but we have a more relaxed take on it than most other teams. :D Luckily our first match was against the other orchestra on campus, who share our views on the tournament. It was a fun game!

No flossing today.
Wrist exercises done.
Face was washed.

Dance squad performance and volleyball.

No. I should move my piano to the middle of the room or something.

Life quest:
Nyeeeh...

The week so far:
Flossing 1/2
Wrist exercises 9/14
Face washed 5/7
Workouts 3/6
Piano playing 1/4

Sounds like a great day! I hope the dance and volleyball did not hurt your hip again.

Week 4 day 6 (October 11th)

Another day I just spent at home. My hip didn't become any happier with the dancing and volleyball the night before, and I figured out that the way I sit on the sofa with my computer in my lap might strain it as well, so I tried to find better positions. In the evening a couple of friends came over and we spent the night watching movies.

No flossing today.
Wrist exercises done.
Face was washed.

Nothing.

No.

Life quest:
No.

The week so far:
Flossing 1/2
Wrist exercises 11/14
Face washed 6/7
Workouts 3/6
Piano playing 1/4

Week 4 day 7 (October 12th)

I slept late and pretty much spent the day watching anime. At four I had choir practise, which was fun but felt a bit empty since so many were missing due to illness and travel. We tried some new songs, including a four-part arrangement of Michael Jackson's Beat It and the Eatnemen Vuelie that was used in Disney's Frozen. Our choreographer also had us try several dance steps with some of the songs, and let me tell you, singing and dancing at the same time is hard! I'm counting it as a workout.

Flossing done!
Wrist exercises done.
Face was washed.

Choir practise.

No.

Life quest:
No. :(

The week so far:
Flossing 2/2
Wrist exercises 13/14
Face washed 7/7
Workouts 4/6
Piano playing 1/4

I've been very silent this week, but it's been for a reason. The whole week has been incredibly stressful, and when I've had time to rewind I haven't had the energy to write anything here. I don't think I've worked actively on any of my quests yet, so getting any kind of routine started again will require some extra energy.

Oh, and I have four exams next week. Hellooo more stress!

Week 5 day 1 (October 13th)

I gave myself a sleep-in, but the prospect of starting a new round of computer graphics assignment made me drag my feet no matter what I did all morning. Still, I made myself go to campus but gave up ideas of working out since my leg still didn't think it ought to be getting better anytime soon. After some more dawdling I got to work, and lo and behold, I completed the first exercise by myself with no outside help. What is happening!

Admittedly it took me three hours, but still.

I didn't get home until almost 21:00, so not much more happened that day.

No flossing.
Did the wrist exercises once.
Face was washed.

Nothing.

No.

Life quest:
Yes. "Derp+lunch" makes a great block during the afternoon.

The week so far:
Flossing 0/3
Wrist exercises 1/21
Face washed 1/7
Workouts 0/6
Piano playing 0/4

Week 5 day 2 (October 14th)

I had my last Spanish lesson today, which basically consisted of us going through the last stuff that will be in the exam. I didn't bring my laptop to campus today as I had too little time between the Spanish lesson and my next engagement to start working on any assignments, but I did have time to get lunch and chat with some friends! At four my dance squad organized a zumba lesson (can you use that word if it isn't teaching but rather an event?) open to anyone interested. One of the squad members is a certified zumba instructor, so we got a proper workout to her nice and funny choreographies. :) And as an added plus my leg didn't complain once! We'd reserved the sauna at TF after the zumba, and it was simply divine to go straight from a workout to warm, humid air!

At six we usually start our dance practise, but this time we joined the orchestra for a singing session. Part of what we do is practise...I want to call them drinking songs, but I'm not sure if that's correct. Is it a phenomenon outside the Nordics to have dinner parties where singing drinking songs (snapsvisor) plays a big part? Like every now and then someone announces a song to sing, then everyone sings it and then everyone drinks of their spirit? Either way, it's a big part of the student culture in Finland. While most songs are unison there exist several that can be sung in voices, and those are the ones we practise with the orchestra and the dance squad.

Hey, I actually found a video of us singing. :D This was an impromptu performance we did to thank the personnel that made and served the food at Ballerup Musikfest 2013. I had no idea someone filmed it!

Anyway, where was I? Singing, yes. This evening some of our old members joined the singing practise as they felt they needed some brushing up on some of the songs. Naturally, afterwards they wanted to put theory into practise and suddenly we had an impromptu dinner party going. Sometimes that happens in this orchestra. :D I'm pretty sure some members stayed pretty late, but I made myself get home before midnight as I had an early wakeup the following day.

No flossing.
Did the wrist exercises twice.
Face was washed.

Zumba.

No.

Life quest:
Logged.

The week so far:
Flossing 0/3
Wrist exercises 3/21
Face washed 2/7
Workouts 1/6
Piano playing 0/4

Week 5 day 3 (October 15th)

As mentioned I had an early morning due to some work the gang I'm going on the excursion to South America with had been asked to do. Basically it was folding boxes for sleep monitors and packing them, which is a quite dull work, but the company offered us both coffee and beer, and I'll take most anything that will help pay for my trip! :) After four hours of work we were done and made our way to campus. I spent some hours working on my computer graphics assignments and got another one done before I had to attend a meeting. I'd dreaded it a bit, but we were surprisingly effective and I could leave after about an hour. I went straight to the city centre to meet up with some friends; we had decided to watch the new Moomin film. Even though its animation style was very different from the tv series we watched as kids it was very enjoyable, and I think we all liked it. After the movie we went for a few beers.

No flossing.
I think I forgot about the wrist exercises.
Face was washed.

Nothing.

No.

Life quest:
Logged.

The week so far:
Flossing 0/3
Wrist exercises 3/21
Face washed 3/7
Workouts 1/6
Piano playing 0/4

Week 5 day 4 (October 16th)

I had reserved the whole day just for doing computer graphics assignments. I even got up semi-early when I would've given much to sleep in instead. So can you imagine how happy I was when I finished the final obligatory exercise at 16:30? I'd thought I'd be finishing it in half-panic Sunday evening, some hour before deadline, and instead everything was done Thursday evening. The realisation that I'd have time to study for my exams triggered an overwhelming relief and I could physically feel some of the stress leaving my body.

Getting everything done this early also meant I had time to help my friend move. I brought boyfriend with me and she was really thankful for our help. Though I must say, for a person moving away from her parents for the first time, to a studio apartment, she had shitloads of stuff. I'm pretty sure she won't have room for everything.

No flossing.
I totally forgot about the wrist exercises.
Face was washed.

If carrying stuff up stairs counts, then yes.

No.

Life quest:
Logged.

The week so far:
Flossing 0/3
Wrist exercises 3/21
Face washed 4/7
Workouts 2/6
Piano playing 0/4

It is, but I wish it wasn't - i totally need to come to Finland and experience this first hand

I think other countries have lost that tradition. I am not aware of it in the northeast or southeastern US, but it seems like a similar tradition was the origins of the pub sings we do at Renaissance Festivals.

What an intense few days! I can see how much of it was stressful, but you also had great social time, some good exercise (zumba and carrying boxes up stairs), and finished the computer assignments early! You seem to be rocking a lot of things, even if they are not your challenge goals.

Good luck on your exams next week!

It is, but I wish it wasn't - i totally need to come to Finland and experience this first hand

You're very welcome! :)

I think other countries have lost that tradition. I am not aware of it in the northeast or southeastern US, but it seems like a similar tradition was the origins of the pub sings we do at Renaissance Festivals.

What an intense few days! I can see how much of it was stressful, but you also had great social time, some good exercise (zumba and carrying boxes up stairs), and finished the computer assignments early! You seem to be rocking a lot of things, even if they are not your challenge goals.

Good luck on your exams next week!

Thank you, it means a lot to hear it from someone else! I'm quite good at convincing myself I didn't do that much and should do so much more to make it count. :P

• Like 1

Week 5 days 5-7 (October 17th - 19th)

Since the week is over now I'll make one post to cover the last days of it.

Due to a cancelled lecture Friday became a stay-at-home day. I managed to cook myself a healthy meal (eggplant, zucchini, bellpepper, mushrooms and chicken all fried together) and then somehow got bit by a baking bug. It started with me wanting to try a LCHF dessert I spotted in a blog (see the result here), and then I went on to make an oven pancake, since boyfriend mentioned he likes it, and a batch of scones for evening snack and breakfast. Not to mention the smoothie I made in between to get something light to eat. Other than that Friday was anime-watching, reading, avoiding thinking about exams and washing a mountain of dirty dishes.

Saturday felt very filled with preparations. Boyfriend and I share an apartment with two friends of ours, an engaged couple S and L, and today was L's birthday. S wanted to organize a surprise party for him, and of course boyfriend and I were her main conspirators. She'd bought all the stuff and got L out of the apartment by taking him for a birthday dinner in the city. Once they left we started putting up decorations and getting all the snacks on the table. I started making some chocolate chip cupcakes, and luckily two of the guests arrived earlier than the rest, so they could help boyfriend with the snacks while I focused on the cupcake baking. The other guests arrived in due time and we had time to chill a bit before S texted me that they were getting off the train and were on their way home. Lights out, champagne ready, and a big "SURPRISE!" when L opened the door and turned on the lights. Apparently we had been sneaky enough, because he hadn't seen it coming. :D This kicked off a really great party; the last guest left around 5:30 in the morning.

Before everything got crazy I had time to take a 35 minute run in the afternoon. First run in a couple of weeks, and I'm happy to say my hip didn't bother me at all!

Sunday seemed to be hangover day, at least for boyfriend and L. I'm blessed with good alcohol tolerance and suffered more from the short night than anything else. But that didn't stop me from going over my computer graphics code one last time to check that everything worked before I turned it in. I actually discovered a bug, so it was lucky I did it! I also revived my knowledge of Python, which is tomorrow's exam, and feel confident enough that the exam won't be a problem. I hope that comment won't come back to bite me in the ass...

Results from week 5:
Flossing 2/3
Wrist exercises 4/21    --these have fallen in total oblivion. Shame on me.
Face washed 7/7
Workouts 3/6
Piano playing 0/4        --sad to say I have prioritized other stuff when I've been home

• Like 1

Sounds like a fun and busy weekend! I hope you were able to get more sleep before the exam. :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines