• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi, everyone!

We will be talking about good food, how to prepare it, how to buy it and how it fits with our fitness and nutrition goals. Also, how getting it in the house and onto the plate can be part of a real life schedule and not some three-day affair.

Bring your questions and join the conversation.

• Like 2

Hansjay, on 14 Sept 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:snapback.png

NF users have recommended me plus I've seen way too many people do it and lose weight with it. 

"This message was brought to you by my fingers which were activated by the electrical signals sent from my brain through a network of nerves and ganglia".

Keto is really good for getting that lean look or for jumping over a plateau weight.
I like almonds, Swiss cheese, eggs, uncured organic bacon, any beef for fats and proteins, and then only fresh veggies as a carb source. Basically if you keep the carbs under 100 (the closer to 50 the better, but below 50 too often and you will be Queen Crankipantz) and do 30 minutes of decent exercise (walking 3mph or faster), you will see a difference within a week. You can't go running back to Dairy Queen afterwards though, sadly (and you will so very much want to), but you can start eating Greek yogurt with fresh fruit once a day after that first couple weeks. I wouldn't recommend extreme ketosis (especially in the 10-50 carbs range) for longer than a month.

thiscolincampbell, on 14 Sept 2014 - 07:22 AM, said: Looks great!  One great way to find new veggies is to find a farmer's market-- the produce is fresher, and usually much cheaper (10 lbs of peaches for $3? Yes, please! I can Freeze them!) and you can stroll through the market, and ask the farmer behind the table, "what IS this and HOW do you cook it?"

Cheeeeeers!

Food suggestions? Did someone ask for food suggestions?
Pull up a chair, darling.

Bell peppers. I'm not a big fan of the green ones, but red yellow or orange make some seriously yummy munching sticks. If you feel the need for a little more food at the end of the day, you can have raw veggies galore, and once they are cut up they go nicely into Ziploc for take along snacks. Try talking them on a walk and see how easy it can be to go The Extra Mile.

Carrots of course.
Need something steamy and warm as fall sets in? Take a bag of frozen peas and dump as much as you're going to eat into a microwave safe container. Cover with water. Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes. Strain and serve with a dab of butter and a pinch of salt.

Oh, and speaking of microwave tips for fall, grab a sweet potato, pierce a couple times and cook on a paper towel for 7 minutes. Totally yummy with butter and salt.

Need more? Just ask.

• Like 2

Also, avoid storing vegetables in plastic bags, especially the thin ones in the produce section. The plastic holds moisture onto the vegetables making them slimy and gross.

• Like 1

I have a pumpkin, a pumpkin for eating. It's about the size of a small cantaloupe. The advice I got, when it was given to me, was to make it into the pumpkin version of banana bread. That sounds fantastic, but not fantastically healthy.

What should I do with my pumpkin?

• Like 1

I just saw a pumpkin/banana bread today. It must be fall. Not sure what to do with it, but Heidi might have an idea. Plus I'm gonna hunt and peck around and see if something catches my eye. Be back!

• Like 1

I have a pumpkin, a pumpkin for eating. It's about the size of a small cantaloupe. The advice I got, when it was given to me, was to make it into the pumpkin version of banana bread. That sounds fantastic, but not fantastically healthy.

What should I do with my pumpkin?

Pumpkin bread can actually be a lot healthier than it seems, especially if you make a paleo version.

But my favorite thing to do with pumpkin is pumpkin pie. If you use unrefined (raw, or turbinado) sugar, it's not nearly as sweet, and pumpkin actually has a ton of iron and other nutrients.

For now, here's a pumpkin coffee cake recipe from Juli at PaleOMG:

Prep time
10 mins

Cook time
1 hour

Total time
1 hour 10 mins

Serves: 8

Ingredients
For the bread
  • 1 tablespoon butter or ghee or coconut oil, for greasing pan
  • 1 cup almond butter (or other nut butter or seed butter)
  • ½ cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 3 tablespoons coconut flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
For the toppings
  • 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) grass fed butter, at room temperature (or coconut oil)
  • 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
  • 2 tablespoons almond flour
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • ¼ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Maple Glaze
  • ¼ cup coconut milk
  • ¼ cup coconut sugar
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×5 bread pan and cut a piece of parchment paper to fit inside the pan (for easy clean up and to help remove the bread from pan).
  2. Place almond butter, pumpkin, banana, maple syrup, eggs pumpkin pie spice, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a food processor and puree until smooth. Wipe down sides of food processor if needed and puree once more.
  3. Pour mixture into bread pan and smooth out.
  4. In a small bowl, add butter, coconut sugar, almond flour, pumpkin pie spice, and walnuts. Use your hands to mix the toppings together until combined.
  5. Place chunks of the toppings all around the top of the pumpkin bread mixture.
  6. Bake in oven for 1 hour.
  7. Mix together coconut milk, coconut sugar, and maple syrup. I heated mine up in the microwave but feel free to heat over a stove top.
  8. Pour glaze over cooled pumpkin bread!
  • Like 1

And what does it mean to sign up on the form? I have not done accountabilibuddies before (although I see that name at the top).

Just sign up and decide to follow along. :)

The form helps me know who all is here.

I just saw a pumpkin/banana bread today. It must be fall. Not sure what to do with it, but Heidi might have an idea. Plus I'm gonna hunt and peck around and see if something catches my eye. Be back!

I haven't tried the pumpkin and banana coffee cake that I posted yet, but it's one I'm aching to try -- and you're right -- it's the weather.

To make pumpkin puree, cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. Put it cut-side down in a roasting pan with about an inch of water, and bake at 400 degrees until it is soft enough to pierce with a fork, about 45 minutes, depending on how big it is.

Remove from the oven and scoop the soft guts out, blending with a fork until smooth. If there's too much or it becomes stubborn, grab a whisk and throw a little butter at it to help make the flesh creamy and smooth.

• Like 1

Since we are on the topic of squash and it is that time.of year, wrap a squash in foil and put in your crock pot. Just like that. Low for 8 hours or h high for 4.

Remove and cut in half (carefully as it's hot) and scoop out the seeds. Ready to eat with a spoon a pat of butter and a dash of salt.

Or cut in half raw and scoop seeds and place face down in a pan with an inch of water. Squash is forgiving, so you can bake it at any temp from.350-400, along with whatever else is.in the oven. Roast until tender to the fork and serve.

via smoke signals from my Fire

• Like 2

So when making food at home, how do you measure the food in order to get an idea of calories? Is it...

A-grams

B-ounces

C-pounds

or D-all the above

And is there a place we can get accurate nutritional values? Is MFP pretty on target with their 'homemade' listings?

Okay enough for now. I can't learn everything all at once! Thx

• Like 1

Ounces, cups, tablespoons,teaspoons

I have found on MFP that I will list ingredients separately or make a recipe up so I can divide into servings. I am leery of subbing their pre made meals for my homemade. I do have a food scale but I estimate too.

Cool. I do that to a small degree, like my tuna melts the other day. I think I may have to get my go-to meals written in MFP and then tracking will be more accurate.

Thx T2

• Like 1

So I could use some advice.

I saw a recipe for kale chips. I thought it was a great idea, because I like greens, I like salty snacks, and I could use another healthy option to add to my arsenal. So I bought two bunches and just made the first batch.

Gotta say, not my favorite. I like greens cooked other ways. But this is just too strong a voodoo for me.

And now I've got about 3 lbs of kale and no idea what to do with it. It's much more bitter than say chard and I'm a wuss about bitter stuff, but I don't think it would respond well to the Southern Greens treatment. So, anybody have a good recipe that counters the bitter?

I'm gonna ask around a bit, see what I can dig up.

Kale is still something I'm working on.

My tried and true so far is to tear or cut it small, then add it to other vegetables simmering for a stock. All the nutrition, but it just disappears into the overall recipe.

So I could use some advice.

I saw a recipe for kale chips. I thought it was a great idea, because I like greens, I like salty snacks, and I could use another healthy option to add to my arsenal. So I bought two bunches and just made the first batch.

Gotta say, not my favorite. I like greens cooked other ways. But this is just too strong a voodoo for me.

And now I've got about 3 lbs of kale and no idea what to do with it. It's much more bitter than say chard and I'm a wuss about bitter stuff, but I don't think it would respond well to the Southern Greens treatment. So, anybody have a good recipe that counters the bitter?

I'm gonna ask around a bit, see what I can dig up.

Best kale recipe

Fry up 4-5 slices of bacon in a skillet. Remove bacon add chopped kale and sauté, throw in some halved cherry tomatoes and heat then throw bacon back in.

I also use kale in my egg junk I make. 9x9 pan. Breakfast meat pre cooked on bottom ( sausage, bacon or ham) then chopped veggies and kale, cheese if you eat cheese and then pour on top 9 eggs beaten with a couple T water.

I have some pics I will post later.

I also do what Heidi does and add to soups. Also add to spaghetti sauce (I throw it in to sauté after meat is cooked but before I add tomatoes and onions) you can throw it into Chinese stir fry (really good with shrimp).

• Like 1

Okay I am pretty good in the kitchen.  I have always been hesitant to try acorn squash since childhood.  My folks would always do it roasted with butter and sugar.  Just gross.  Anyway I have a coworker that is a master gardener.  He gave me one and I would like to try it again.  It was free so why not right?  Any suggestions are appreciated. I think I am am going to tackle it in the next couple days.  I am thinking of pairing it with spinach balls or spinach stuffed onions and  chicken.  It is a fairly small one.

I am not a fan of sugar on squash. Just icky.

Try cutting in half, removing seeds and roasting cut side down in a baking dish with an inch or so of water. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour.

Or wrap it in foil, put it in the crock pot on low and enjoy after work.

Any particular seasonings if any?  What kind of flavor do they have?  Just discovered butternut squash.  It is sweat but when in a soup I can season with onion/garlic in chicken broth.  Ends up being a bit beefy in flavor according to my husband.