Texas method help!

Hey guys, 

Currently running a texas method program for the next 18 weeks and need a little help. I'm doing a 3 day split which is 

Monday

Squat volume

push volume

power clean 

Assistance

Wednesday

squat light

push light

Friday

Squat heavy

Push heavy 

Deadlifts

assistance

So my problem is some times i have problem with pulling deadlifts off the floor and i am thinking of including some deficit deadlifts to help with this. Should i have it in the assistance exercices above, or potentially swap power cleans for deficit pulls? 

Thanks for the help in advice!

Level five Orc Assassin/warrior hybrid

Str: 12 || Dexterity: 6 || Stamina: 5 || Constituion: 7.5 || Wis: 10 || Charisma: 6.5

Squat 135kg (1*5) || Deadlift 150kg (1*5) || Bench press 77.5kg (1*3) || || OH press 52.5kg (1*3).

Weight Loss story Current Challenge.

Previous challenges: #1//#2//#3 //#4//#5

Ive never run TM, so take what I have to say for what it's worth.

I'm not sure how well a builder like deficit deadlifts would work as assistance in a TM template. TM is already regarded as a shit pile of volume, and throwing another few sets of deadlifts that are even harder than the regular variety just seems like burnout waiting to happen. It just doesn't seem like a program that lends itself to another big movement.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Ive never run TM, so take what I have to say for what it's worth.

I'm not sure how well a builder like deficit deadlifts would work as assistance in a TM template. TM is already regarded as a shit pile of volume, and throwing another few sets of deadlifts that are even harder than the regular variety just seems like burnout waiting to happen. It just doesn't seem like a program that lends itself to another big movement.

Thanks for the quick response! I'm still fairly new to this so still trying to learn as much as possible! Think i'll run it as it is, had a few bad days last week, but think that was due to lots of travel and a few other things! I'll stick to the TM as it stands for as long as possible with accessory movements being minimal! 

Str: 12 || Dexterity: 6 || Stamina: 5 || Constituion: 7.5 || Wis: 10 || Charisma: 6.5

Squat 135kg (1*5) || Deadlift 150kg (1*5) || Bench press 77.5kg (1*3) || || OH press 52.5kg (1*3).

I am running Texas Method now. I do a pull variation on Mondays after 5X5 squats and bench. Usually, they are either speed deadlifts (3X8) with DO grip to improve grip strength and speed off the floor or rack deadlifts to improve lockout (with straps). 

What would you recomend in terms of the power cleans? Ditch them in favour of the deadlift assistance? Or work them both in?

I think for now i'm going to keep the program as it is, try and keep it simple, and just try to iron out any outside sources of things causing bad days etc! Cheers for the help! 

The power clean is basically an even faster speed deadlift, though the form out of the bottom is a bit different. They'll still help you build the explosion out of the bottom though. I agree with the others that you don't want any more heavy volume than is already there, it's a good bit to recover from.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

As everyone has already mentioned: You're doing a crapload of volume here. You could slot DD's into your warm ups so that when you do your work sets you're pulling from higher and that wouldn't make too much of a difference. Otherwise, if you're one of those sadistic people who laugh in the face of volume (they're certainly out there) than you could add in Cable Pull-Throughs, RDLs, Good Mornings and Thrusts as additional assistance work- though I wouldn't recommend it if it's pushing your training time past 45 minutes lest you put yourself into a hormonally anti-muscle-building state.

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler

...though I wouldn't recommend it if it's pushing your training time past 45 minutes lest you put yourself into a hormonally anti-muscle-building state.

Someone should tell the Bulgarians about cortisol and overtraining. :friendly_wink:

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

All my training is 45 min +. The impact of training time on recovery is minimal recovery happens at night while you sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Hey guys quick question on leverages: I'm at 5'10" in height, with 30" inseam jeans, would that constitute short legs? According to this: i also have a long torso which i don't really think is true. I have a fairly big head (no shame in admitting this), so my actual torso length is probably average if this were taken into account? I currently low bar squat with around 1.5 shoulder width foot stance squat as this seems to be comfiest for me at heavy weights. Though since i started training this time around (messed about with training in the past) i haven't really tried low bar, is my squat style optimal for my body type based on leverages? Also, i deadlift traditional stance, and can't seem to even pull the weight off the floor with sumo that i work with trad, is this normal? Little confused with all the info haha! 

Thanks for the help!

Pick up the heavy shit. Put down the heavy shit. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

If you want to experiment with different squat and deadlift configurations, then do it. Trying to point at someone and say "you'd be a great sumo puller" or "you should squat low bar" is pointless. I did a few cycles of sumo deadlifting and my conventional pull shot up, but I pull about 60 pounds more conventional the last time I tried sumo. Is it because of my leverages, or because I've spent a fuck ton of time making my lats and upper back blow up? Who cares? Find what works and do it. When it stops working, find what you need to do to make it work again.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Pick up the heavy shit. Put down the heavy shit. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

If you want to experiment with different squat and deadlift configurations, then do it. Trying to point at someone and say "you'd be a great sumo puller" or "you should squat low bar" is pointless. I did a few cycles of sumo deadlifting and my conventional pull shot up, but I pull about 60 pounds more conventional the last time I tried sumo. Is it because of my leverages, or because I've spent a fuck ton of time making my lats and upper back blow up? Who cares? Find what works and do it. When it stops working, find what you need to do to make it work again.

The quotable EE...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

When you say you have a problem pulling deadlifts off the floor, what exactly do you mean? Is your DL lagging? What is it compared to your squat? Have you been failing reps lately? What has your DL training looked like up to this point?

Without knowing those things, my gut reaction is that you may not need extra DL volume yet so you may as well not add it onto the TM template. I do think it's a good idea to eventually add more DL volume/frequency. I just wouldn't do it yet unless you had to and it's just hard to find room for accessory things on TM. Your recovery would also need to really be spot on for it to work consistently over an 18 week period.

You could also consider alternating DL with accessory work. So, one Friday, you do heavy DL of 1-5 reps, next Friday you could do accessory work (maybe deficit DLs and one other thing like SLDL or paused DL), and then then next Friday back to heavy DL, and so on.

ETA: If you do a 4-day TM split, it does make it slightly easier to add accessory work, but still not ideal.

The iron never lies.

When you say you have a problem pulling deadlifts off the floor, what exactly do you mean? Is your DL lagging? What is it compared to your squat? Have you been failing reps lately? What has your DL training looked like up to this point?

Without knowing those things, my gut reaction is that you may not need extra DL volume yet so you may as well not add it onto the TM template. I do think it's a good idea to eventually add more DL volume/frequency. I just wouldn't do it yet unless you had to and it's just hard to find room for accessory things on TM. Your recovery would also need to really be spot on for it to work consistently over an 18 week period.

You could also consider alternating DL with accessory work. So, one Friday, you do heavy DL of 1-5 reps, next Friday you could do accessory work (maybe deficit DLs and one other thing like SLDL or paused DL), and then then next Friday back to heavy DL, and so on.

ETA: If you do a 4-day TM split, it does make it slightly easier to add accessory work, but still not ideal.

up until now ive run 6 months of stronglifts, but i just find these past two weeks getting it off the floor have been hard, going to go again on friday for the 155kg, and if i get it i'll put these down to fatigue etc! And thats a good plan! I'm going to run this TM for the rest of this challenge at least and see how it goes! Thanks for the heads up! 

We've all had those days where the weight feels harder than it should or it's just stapled to the floor. You're definitely getting into the range where DL recovery is getting tougher.

Another thing to keep on the back burner for when you need it later on is the idea of cycling rep ranges on one or more of your lifts. So, you could do 5 reps on intensity day one week, then 3, then singles, and then back to 5 but up the weight 5-10 lbs. that's one example but any sort of reduction in reps while upping the weight would accomplish a similar goal. That will still allow you to progress while also helping your efficiency at moving heavier singles. But I'd stick with what you have planned until a change is really needed.

The iron never lies.

Well i went to the gym yesterday and it sucked. A different gym to the one ive been going to for the past two weeks (two campuses at uni) but that shouldnt make a difference to my workouts! I warmed up to my squats, including mobility work all going well so far. Un racked my 145 kg, so only 5 kg more than last week, walked it out as i normally do. And it felt so heavy! I just knew if i attempted a rep it just want coming back up. So i have a 5 minute break, go for my first rep and it just won't come up! Oh press 1rm i managed to get up, and deadlifts again i missed! 3rd attempt at 155kg and the worst attempt yet! 2 weeks ago i got 2 reps, last week i got a solid four, yet yesterday the weight was just STAPLED to the floor on the first rep! 

Not sure what to do here, i feel like i'm recovering plenty as i'm only working out 3 days per week, and going for TINY swims on the assistance days suggested, but something must be going on! Should i take a de-load week (maybe 3/4 of the weight suggested) then back to normal the week after? Or is it time for a new program? :( I feel like 6 weeks isn't really long enough to run a serious program? Thanks!