• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kaylya

Kaylya continues to speed up

Epic Quest: Be able to run up a big hill and do a handstand at the top, then do a pull up off a tree branch.

Current Quest: Complete a 5km race in less than 30 minutes, before I'm 30. (Hopefully on Sept 21)

I've been thinking lately more about what inspires me fitness wise. And I keep on coming back to impressive bodyweight moves, be they yoga poses, calisthenics, break dancing, pole dancing, or whatever. That's the sort of thing that really makes me go "I want to be able to do that". The other thing that motivates me is staying in shape for Ultimate Frisbee, for which I think running 5k faster is a decent thing to work on in the off season.

For now, I'm going to work on yoga plus strength training at the gym (to build a foundation of strength), with the odd bodyweight session thrown in when I can't make it to the gym. I want to work on consistently going at least once per week.

Week 1 - I have a 5k race on Sunday, and I've got a cousin visiting Thurs-Sat, which makes for a perfect "taper" time.

• Monday - STR
  • Tuesday - short morning run
  • Wednesday - Run home (7km)
  • Thurs/Fri/Sat: Rest
  • Sunday: Race 5k. Maybe yoga or STR later.

Weeks 2-6

• At least 5 workouts per week, striving for 6 some weeks.
  • At least 2 strength workouts per week, striving for 3 some weeks.
  • At least one yoga class per week - most can also count as strength workouts.
  • Try at least one each of Ashtanga and Flow classes.
  • Active commute once per week (6 times over challenge). Running home or biking both ways. Bonus points for biking in and doing a yoga class on the way home. If I have a week where I'm not feeling great then walking to/from the express bus may also be acceptable.
  • I will set a running distance goal after I've done my race on Sunday. If I make my sub 30 time, then, I'll aim for 70km over the challenge to beat my distance in the last challenge just a bit and allow more time for other things (this should be doable with 2 runs most weeks); if I don't, I'll aim for 90km (15km/week) as I prep for another race in late Oct and/or Early Nov (this will need 3 runs most weeks with maybe some weeks at 2).

Life Quest: Streamline my mornings

I'm going to make a little game out of my mornings!

2 Points: Out the door for 7:40 bus
1 Point: Out the door for 7:55 bus
0 Points: Out the door for 8:10 bus
-1 point: Anything later

If I am biking in, I can leave up to 5 minutes after the bus time (e.g. Out the door by 7:45 is 2 points)
If I went for a morning run, I can shift it by 1 bus.

2 points: Pack a complete, healthy lunch
1 point: Pack a partial lunch

That's 20 points available per week - lets see if I can get 15!

• Like 2

There was a giant, steep hill I once lived right next to that I was determined to run all the way up without stopping -- and then I moved before I could complete this little quest of mine. And all I wanted to do was run up it -- doing a handstand and a pull-up after? You go, you!

Nice set of goals, and a solid plan. You can do eet!

I did a cooking marathon yesterday:

- Squash Soup for lunches

- Egg Muffins for breakfast.

Plus I made lots of a sausage/peppers/zucchini/tomato sauce mix for dinner.

The first ever 5k I did comes in at 31:27. I don't really believe that time (my next best is about 2 minutes slower..), but I'm pretty confident that if I don't quite make sub 30 I can at least beat that one.

Ran home. Was about 2 minutes faster than last week, although that's probably mostly because the GPS got a signal a little later.

Will do a short fast run either Weds PM or Thurs AM.

Out the door for 7:40, flossed, didn't pack a lunch.

Got to test my balance when the bus came to a very sudden stop. Some people fell over, a guy fell into me, and one lady hit her head on something and was bleeding.

What's really annoying about the bus thing is it's totally that the driver was just going too fast given the traffic flow not that something changed suddenly (I was pretty close to the front and looking out the front window) I think he was assuming that the cars ahead of him would make it through the light and he'd stop right at the bus stop before the intersection, but they didn't because traffic was slow ahead so he had to stop a lot more abruptly. He was accelerating at a time when if I was driving I'd have my foot off the gas to slow down slightly, and that's in a tiny car vs. an articulated bus with probably over 100 people on it.

And this is a day after the one year anniversary of a major crash where a bus slammed into a train killing the driver and 5 passengers. There was some sort of ribbon inside the bus that I assumed related to that accident.

My shoulders are feeling a bit stiff, not sure if it's DOMS from my workout on Weds or something relating to being jolted around on the bus (I was standing but hanging on to a bar).

Got my flossing done.

Everything is all laid out for my race tomorrow, with some overnight oatmeal in the fridge for breakfast. Now to try and get a good night's sleep :)

I love how when I set an alarm to wake up early for something special I'm awake even before then, it's like I'm worried I'll sleep through the alarm.

Set my alarm for 6:10, up at 5:30 :tongue:

• Like 1

Update for past 2 days:

Monday AM: Lunch and out the door for 7:55, flossed

Tuesday AM: No lunch and on the 8:10 bus. Got a little caught up checking the finish line photos :P

Haven't done any workouts though I have walked to the express bus on the way home both days.

I missed the 7:55 bus so I walked over to the express bus. Partial lunch.

Easy 3km run tonight. My legs are a bit sore from doing squats for the first time in a couple weeks yesterday :) Am thinking I will try biking to work then from work to yoga then home tomorrow, I'm not likely to get a nicer day for it until about May :P

Sign in to follow this