KB Girl, number 11

KB Girl

Thanks everyone! Wednesday night was a low point (i'm blaming the time of the month now, or like raptron said "the grouchy-sad-dark place") but I fell asleep reading all of your comments on tapatalk and they really calmed me down. I woke up feeling much much better! You're the bestests <3

About the knee- I think I overreacted/panicked a bit.. it has been bother me all summer and seemed to be heading in the right direction, but then the pain on tuesday freaked me the f*ck out. I trained normally yesterday and i'm seeing a PT today so i'll be good. Thanks for the concern!

On the food- As long as you're staying in your calorie goal, I honestly don't see a problem with filling in the extra calories as long as you stick to the goals. To me, if I have to track, at least I then get the benefit of knowing I have room to eat a bit of treat. Don't make it so strict on yourself that you give up.

Existential crisis. Most likely your knee will be fine, you will keep working and be Kettlebell champion. But even if that doesn't work, you are still an awesome teacher at your gym (I know this because of how much you've helped me) and a great overall encourager. 

And I love the teaching! Part of me thinks i'll never be a great teacher if i haven't been at the top myself, but that's probably a big bunch of bullshit. 

The thing with the tracking is that I do fit in treats when I need to, but really overestimating my count makes my brain happy.. happy brain is really really important :/

I'm with EG. Part of the point of tracking like this is so you CAN give yourself the room to enjoy treat foods if you want. I consciously save some room for a goodie at the end of the night (even if my dessert takes the form of a protein shake sometimes. ;) ).

And the knee? You will recover, but again, you are not defined by this! Obviously, the quest to become a champion is a really awesome one and you've done a lot to get there, but it isn't WHO YOU ARE. You are much more, including a teacher who helps other learn and improve in the sport. Existential crisis sounds like it's definitely coming out of your grouchy, sad dark place, so try to shelve it for now. You are great and will continue to be great. 

Yea I do consciously safe room! And that really works. it's just that I don't want to feel anxious about subconsciously underestimating my count.

I've shelved it for now! Thanks so much <3

I agree with raptron and EG. You ARE losing weight at a good tempo at the moment, and 1200kcal sounds like you're in a decent-big deficit. As long as you don't go over it, you're doing really really REALLY great :).

Your grumpiness is clearly talking to you, you have a lot to deal with at the moment. 60 hours of work is probably much more than you've done before in your life. And your internship is all new work, so that's extra tiring. That you're grumpy and exhausted has several very good reasons, and it is just for a limited amount of time. Because of the hours you make at work, the lack of calories and the worries about your knee, both your mental and physical fitness ("weerstand") is lower than it normally is. That's normal. Just keep going, you're doing absolutely great this challenge!

You're absolutely right, I am losing weight at a good rate! I'm eating 1600kcal though, 1200 is just the count before dinner, haha. I think i'd die if I tried that! 

It honestly is a lot to deal with, I try to put a good face on it.. but I really miss the time I had before.. Weerstand indeed! it feels a bit recovered now at least :)

RE: knee - I've been there. I've had the really frustrating thoughts and felt like it would never get better. It almost always does get better. Your knee is telling you that there is something wrong. You need to listen. If you don't listen and train through it something else will warn you then something else until you break something, in a bad way. If you find the problem and fix the problem (not just the symptom) you will be surprised at what dividend it will pay.Your body will suddenly be more responsive to your mind, your stamina will hold out longer and you'll recover faster. The trade off of a ten or twenty snatched between now and then will cost you nothing in the long hall.

Listen to the knee and it will improve.

You have a valuable resource in your boyfriend. Ask him to assess you like he would a new client or if he has any peers he would trust to assess you. Try their suggestions out. Maybe it will help where PTs have failed.

Wise words TML.. I'm listening, really am! It's just so frustrating not to know for sure what exactly is wrong, the knee is not speaking clearly enough. My boyfriend set up a whole rehab/prehab program for me over the summer, and it had seemed to be working. Just annoying/scary to have a set back like this.

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Thursday was a much better day! I'm starting to be more hungry now, but it was doable without all of the grouch in my head. The knee was bothering me while driving but didn't give a single peep during training. I had a really nice training hour and played around a bit afterwards. Made some videos too!

This one is for TML, he's working on double longcycle (but with a lot more weight); 

I also did an attempted progress video for chin-ups. Couldn't get that 4th for a PR but at least they're back up to 3! (if anyone is curious, no, I still can't do a single f*cking pull-up.)

• Like 7

Nice chins! And thanks for the reminder that I should get over myself. I've been too scared to try chins for ages because I'm feeling so heavy right now... Silly I know.

A bit silly, but I get it! There is a reason i'm not wearing shoes in that video ;) 

Aw, you are SO close to that PR! I love the video, it's making me feel inspired to work on chinups again!

Good! Chinups are awesome :) 

Look at your huge smile at the end of your chins.  Love it!

It's more of a grin really! :D

Alright mid-challenge update.

The bad news; on saturday I broke my chain! We stayed over at a friends place, they served really really delicious breakfast just the way I like it (lots of bacon, eggs and avocado).. after that I halfheartedly tried to count it, but I gave up soon after. I am not terribly heartbroken to be completely honest. I've picked it back up today. With the deduction that leaves me at 13 points. 

The good news; I've lost 3kg in three weeks. I'm absolutely satisfied with that. 

The excellent news; today (sunday) was the qualification opportunity for the world championship for the Netherlands. I qualified for snatch in the B-category (16kg). One of my trainees qualified for men's longcycle in the B-category (24kg) and one of my girls qualified for the snatch in the A-category (24kg). I'm really proud of them and mostly relieved that I made it too. I'm really pretty bad at snatch xD 

I did 94 reps in 6 minutes. I'd be happy with 150+ in 10 minutes at worlds, so that's quite a ways to go.

• Like 6

You may have broken your chain, but I'd say being guilt-free is certainly a victory. Too many people would endlessly beat themselves up over it. As you said, you are making great progress. And congrats on qualifying! I'm sure you'll have even more reps to give when you're not eating at a deficit. 

1600 calories for you is probably a huge deficit, and losing 1 kg/week is quite a bit.  I'm not surprised that you're a bit hangry, moody, and looking for any way to squeeze in some additional calories.  If you're starting to get overwhelmed by cravings or looking for any way to squeeze in some additional food, maybe you need a re-feed day or a week of a higher calorie limit.  

As far as the knee goes, hopefully the PT will help.  It's also possible that a brace would alleviate some of the pain or give you a little more support.  I know it's really frustrating to have a lingering injury, but doctors are very very good at fixing knees.  :)   If it's possible, you might want to see an orthopedic doctor, just to get a better diagnosis.

It's awesome that you're such a serious competitor and are so driven to excel.  :)  But, keep in mind that the ability to teach and the ability to win competitions don't necessarily correlate.  Many of the best teachers I've had were people who struggled, and through their struggles came to a better understanding of how things work or the common pitfalls in learning.  Many of the naturally gifted people were terrible at teaching, because things came too easily for them.  If you're attentive to your students and make sure you know a lot about proper technique, it doesn't matter whether you're #1 in the world or whether you're not quite there.  Either way, I'm sure you'll be an excellent teacher.  

I shouldn't feel this way, but I giggle a little when all of you young'uns feel like you're about to be too old to do something that you enjoy.  :)

So, keep being awesome, but maybe get your knee checked out by an orthopedist and have a re-feed or cheat day.  :)

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I think being guilt-free about a breakfast with friends is the right way to go. Sometimes the good times and good company need to take precedence, it's good for the soul and that's important too.

The thing I've found with my foray into chain-making is, for me at least, I'm not too fussed if I break it one day as long as I start things up again the next. That's where I always ran into trouble: I'd break a chain, and then break it again, and again and again, and that's the end of that. With my chain of bendiness, I've broken it here and there but always got going again the next day, and overall that's the important thing.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Man, if that chain is really broken, then it has to be one of the longest chains I've ever seen!

And you're SO CLOSE TO THOSE PULL-UPS!! Try doing inverted Rows, and when you're proficient at them, then attempt Pull-ups. YOU'RE SO CLOSE!! I honestly can't wait to see your smile when you do one!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Wow you lost a lot of weight 1kg a week omg you must be in a rather moodiness inducing deficit indeed! I hope you will do well on your snatches! Oh and it's a great feeling that people you've trained get so far, or not?

You may have broken your chain, but I'd say being guilt-free is certainly a victory. Too many people would endlessly beat themselves up over it. As you said, you are making great progress. And congrats on qualifying! I'm sure you'll have even more reps to give when you're not eating at a deficit. 

I hadn't thought about it, but yea being guilt-free is pretty nice :)

Unfortunately I don't think that being in a deficit bothered me very much, I wasn't lacking strength or stamina, just grip.

Congratulations! Maybe I missed it, how long until the World's Championship?

It's in november. From the 20th 'till the 24th. We're making a week's vacation out of it, will be tons of fun!

I think being guilt-free about a breakfast with friends is the right way to go. Sometimes the good times and good company need to take precedence, it's good for the soul and that's important too.

The thing I've found with my foray into chain-making is, for me at least, I'm not too fussed if I break it one day as long as I start things up again the next. That's where I always ran into trouble: I'd break a chain, and then break it again, and again and again, and that's the end of that. With my chain of bendiness, I've broken it here and there but always got going again the next day, and overall that's the important thing.

Yea my soul definitely got some TLC ;) And you're absolutely right, going again the next day.. that's what matters. And i'm really surprised at how easy that's going right now. Sure I grumble a bit because I want to stop counting (i'm starting to get annoyed with it) but so far so good really.

Man, if that chain is really broken, then it has to be one of the longest chains I've ever seen!

And you're SO CLOSE TO THOSE PULL-UPS!! Try doing inverted Rows, and when you're proficient at them, then attempt Pull-ups. YOU'RE SO CLOSE!! I honestly can't wait to see your smile when you do one!

Ah actually i'm quite proficient at inverted rows, I don't think they do anything for me anymore. But i'm afraid i'm not that close- haven't made any progress in ages. Just keep being stuck in the same spot.

YEEEAAHHH congrats on the qualifier!

And so what if you broke the streak? Now is the time to see if you can beat it. :)

You're absolutely right! And thank you :)

Wow you lost a lot of weight 1kg a week omg you must be in a rather moodiness inducing deficit indeed! I hope you will do well on your snatches! Oh and it's a great feeling that people you've trained get so far, or not?

Probably! Now I have so many excuses for my moodiness.. hormones, calorie deficit, stress... :D

And yea, i'm really happy with my trainees' results! with my own just relieved mostly, but really happy with theirs.

Good to see you here!

Oooh, qualifications went well then! It must be great to see your athletes excel. :D

And dang, girl. 3kg is quite a bit! Your control has been fantastic then. And yes, hanger (hunger + anger) is a legitimate excuse for any and all emotional problems. ;)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

1600 calories for you is probably a huge deficit, and losing 1 kg/week is quite a bit.  I'm not surprised that you're a bit hangry, moody, and looking for any way to squeeze in some additional calories.  If you're starting to get overwhelmed by cravings or looking for any way to squeeze in some additional food, maybe you need a re-feed day or a week of a higher calorie limit.  

As far as the knee goes, hopefully the PT will help.  It's also possible that a brace would alleviate some of the pain or give you a little more support.  I know it's really frustrating to have a lingering injury, but doctors are very very good at fixing knees.   :)   If it's possible, you might want to see an orthopedic doctor, just to get a better diagnosis.

It's awesome that you're such a serious competitor and are so driven to excel.   :)  But, keep in mind that the ability to teach and the ability to win competitions don't necessarily correlate.  Many of the best teachers I've had were people who struggled, and through their struggles came to a better understanding of how things work or the common pitfalls in learning.  Many of the naturally gifted people were terrible at teaching, because things came too easily for them.  If you're attentive to your students and make sure you know a lot about proper technique, it doesn't matter whether you're #1 in the world or whether you're not quite there.  Either way, I'm sure you'll be an excellent teacher.  

I shouldn't feel this way, but I giggle a little when all of you young'uns feel like you're about to be too old to do something that you enjoy.   :)

So, keep being awesome, but maybe get your knee checked out by an orthopedist and have a re-feed or cheat day.   :)

Thank you for the thoughtful comments :)

You're probably right about it being quite a big deficit and me needing a re-feed. After eating more on saturday I do feel a lot better! I'll keep it in mind for when I start feeling really blah again. I do plan to include higher calorie weeks in my chain as things progress.. we'll see how it goes.

About the knee.. I have gotten a better diagnosis! I found a PT who is currently doing a research paper on chronic knee pain with unclear causes. It is kind of what we thought; the knee not running through it's "socket" properly and therefore irritating itself. The other PTs missed it because usually you get a thick knee out of that, but my body doesn't do normal. It's normally caused by weak muscles, but obviously not in my case- but there is probably a disbalance where my gluteus medeus isn't doing its job properly... plus my right hip flexors arent exactly stiff- but they're less flexible than my left ones, so again causing a disbalance. I have another appointment tomorrow and we'll keep working on it 'till the pain goes away permanently! Sorry for the long story... 

You're also absolutely right about the teacher thing. I think i'm a decent teacher but have pretty much just as long to go to being a world-class teacher as I do to being able to put up world-class competition scores. But at least I have more time for that ;) 

The only reason I see a correlation between my performance as a competitor and my ambitions as a teacher is that these days you often see big athlete names doing well in the industry. People don't realize that they are better off training with that athletes trainer instead of with that athlete. It's all marketing.. training with a world champion sounds like a really good idea before you really start to think about it -.-

• Like 3

Monday went well, 1550 calories of normal food and 50 for some good old dutch licorice. I also went shopping and boiled a bunch of eggs and chicken for the next couple of days. And I re-organized my freezers. I feel very adult right now. Except that i'm avoiding some work, but let's just not mention that. 

I went for a run in the morning and for some kettlebell training in the evening. 

• Like 3

Oooh, qualifications went well then! It must be great to see your athlete's excel. :D

And dang, girl. 3kg is quite a bit! Your control has been fantastic then. And yes, hanger (hunger + anger) is a legitimate excuse for any and all emotional problems. ;)

Hanger :D <3

Jealousy thy name is KB Girl's chin ups.

I've been thinking about just plain, generic ham and cheese sandwiches lately. I think it is because of your thread. I always see delicious sandwiches on your thread. note to self: stop in deli on next grocery store trip.

Congrats on the KB competition that you qualified for... super fantastic!

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines