metal_weaver's done being afraid!

metal_weaver

Hullo NF, I'm back again. ^__^

Gonna be digging deep this challenge and stepping out of the fortified turtle shell armor I've built around myself. Depression is a B. So is broken trust. I've GOT to let it go and move on.

I want to experience the freedom that comes with being a master of one's own body. I want to be fluid and graceful and ... and I want to learn how to jump/climb/tumble/goof around like a kid and not be afraid of the world around me. I never had that fearlessness... so I'm committing to change that.

This is my Quest.

Goal the 1st: Fearless Diet - Eat to live
It took a 30-day fruit & vegetable juice fast over the month of August to help break the chains of addiction that held me to processed franken-foods. I intend not to let modern diet stick it's burred claws back in me. Time to be fearless in the kitchen!
* For the next 6 weeks I will be accountable of EVERYTHING I eat/drink. No hiding.

* I will be following a Paleo-type diet, focusing on fresh veggies & fruit and quality meats. No Junk. Thankfully, it's been fairly "easy" to just simple not go back to eating garbage, although that honeymoon-like resolve is starting to wear out now. This is where the rubber meets the road!

* I'm going to allow myself small amounts of cheese, too, although I'm going to do my best to avoid dairy in general. This caveat is primarily to allow the continued consumption of my favorite lunch of all time: the veggie omelet wrap, sans wrap from my favorite coffee shop in the world, Java Manjaro. 

* I'm going to allow myself up to 6 "cheat" days (avg one per week) to allow life to continue as needed.

Of Note: my husband, although accepting of my food choices, occasionally unconsciously tries to sabotage my diet goals. I accept this for what it is... habit vs. malicious intent. Life goes on.

Time to be fearless of my diet changes. It's MY life.

Goal the 2nd: Fearless Performance - Back to Basics
I did some light body-weight exercises while on my fast. It's been a couple weeks now, though, and I need to get back into a routine.
* Perform a warm-up before EVERY workout.
* Do the Angry Birds Workout (& keep track of it!)
* Perform a stretching/cool-down session after EVERY workout.
* Do the above routine 3 times per week.

Goal the 3rd: Fearless Movement - Jump Around!
So I really really really really really really really want to learn how to parkour. Not the fancy, showy free-running stuff you see on YouTube (although that might be an interest sometime down the timeline), but the real, functional, physical freedom from obstacles in my environment. Time to start training!
* On workout days, I will add in the extra reps on top of my ordinary workout for the 4 exercises laid out in NF's Beginner's Guide to Parkour - ie squats, push-ups, leg lifts & pull-ups (or in my case, body-weight rows/bent over rows). Adding these in starting week 2 to allow my body to adjust to a workout routine again before adding more.
PLAN THIS OUT! If I do my primary workout at night, do these additional training reps in the morning. And vice versa if I do my full workout in the morning, these extra ones will be added in at night.
* Get a quality jump rope and start jumping! I need to get my heels, ankles, tendons and knees working in sync and re-learn how to jump. I've been too afraid to jump due to my weight for far too long. My goal for now is to simply find a jump rope and re-teach myself how to jump. I will work on setting #s goals once the initial "fat white girl can't jump" period is over.

Life Side-Quest:
Set and implement a chore chart for our family.
This may seem silly, but I've wanted to do this for a while and just keep putting it off. Time to structure our afternoons a bit more now that school is back in full swing.

Motivation: To prove to myself that discipline = fearlessness & freedom. And to model that behavior for my sons.

LET'S DO THIS!

• Like 1

Nice goals!  If you want to work on parkour like movements, you could always play at the playground with your kids.  Doing the monkey bars, balancing on things, and climbing up things are all great practice for parkour!

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Nice goals!  If you want to work on parkour like movements, you could always play at the playground with your kids.  Doing the monkey bars, balancing on things, and climbing up things are all great practice for parkour!

Thanks for stopping by and for the tips, Nymeria! I'm actually somewhat notorious w/ my boys for playing more than they do when we go to the park. And seeing as we're getting into fall (my FAVORITE time of year) it's the perfect (imo) time for park play. ^____^ I contemplated doing the playground workout routine instead of Angry Birds but 'Sconsin is famous for unpredictable weather. 

Great challenge! I always felt so clumsy and was so afraid to do anything. It is so fun to learn to master my body and not be that fearful person anymore. Look forward to hearing about you  on your journey.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

• Like 1

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

I get the uncooperative spouse thing when it comes to diet. We've compromised a little and she's made progress in her eating habits, but I keep trying to move her farther along. What has finally got her motivated is the RunDisney program. I'm not suggesting that your husband is particularly interested in a Princess 5K (Although he may be. I'll probably do some Disney runs once my son is old enough), but maybe finding him a fitness program in line with his interests will help him be more agreeable in the kitchen. Just a thought. Good luck.

YAY MY FIRST .GIF!!! :D *happy dance*
Thanks for the encouragement, VP! Figures I'd be a challenge late for the Parkour-focused action. Oh well... ;P Who knows what this Challenge brings?! Thanks for the links - I'm going to have fun later reading what y'all did last go-round.

I get the uncooperative spouse thing when it comes to diet. We've compromised a little and she's made progress in her eating habits, but I keep trying to move her farther along. What has finally got her motivated is the RunDisney program. I'm not suggesting that your husband is particularly interested in a Princess 5K (Although he may be. I'll probably do some Disney runs once my son is old enough), but maybe finding him a fitness program in line with his interests will help him be more agreeable in the kitchen. Just a thought. Good luck.

Heya Kevin, thanks for swinging by! My hubby verbally supports my efforts. He even agrees that a Paleo-style diet is the way to go and has expressed interest in "eating healthier", however his actions betray that. I'm just being patient and doing my best not to nag and not to put him out when I refuse his unhealthy treats. In regards to exercise, he's a gym bro. Goes and lifts all the super heavies to show off to whomever he's working out with (cause he refuses to go alone) and then is broken for the next week or so cause he overdid it. Just another thing I'm trying to gently guide him on. No one likes to hear that a) they're getting older, b ) they're not in the same shape they were at 20 fresh out of the military so c) they can't work out the same way they did back then. ;P Appreciate the advice and encouragement! Keep fighting the good fight! *fist-bumps*

2209128a9c42013bbdabbb180547e145.jpg

Veggie omelet wrap sans wrap.

I get these from my work. They're fairly inexpensive with my discount and they're actually pretty healthy. I do need to modify my food goal to include cheese... because being in Wisconsin, everything comes with cheese. So! So far so good. Eggs, asparagus, spinach, peppers, onions & some cheese. Took off the tortilla to make this work. Oh, and added salsa. Cause salsa makes everything better. ^_^

• Like 1

Looking good!

Totally understand the whole partner claiming to be supportive then doing the opposite whether they realise it or not.

Mine is like that, he picked me up from work yesterday and handed me a box with 2 pizza slices in it saying he had saved me some because he <3's me (if he could marry a pizza he probably would so the fact that he saved me some is a big deal but not helpful at all). He is slowly getting better at not eating/drink bad things in front of me and I'm slowly getting better at saying no when he offers things to me. Yesterday I only had 1 slice instead of both - my will power was only big enough to refuse 1.

P.s. I'm learning chain maille. Using a bracelet a friend made me I've taught myself European 4 in 1 - it would have been easier learning from your display pic though. Oh well I learnt it and I'm proud of myself :)

• Like 1

Level X - Human Ranger

Str: X ~ Dex: X ~ Sta: X ~ Con: X ~ Wis: X ~ Cha: X

Rachy87 - Going to level up my way, watch this space!

Not all who wander are lost 

Just dropping in to check out your quest.  I totally get the fear thing.  Just before last challenge I managed a box jump.  Ok, it wasn't a box, it was 1 of those steps for step classes, without anything underneath it.  But let me tell you, I was so freaking scared to jump I figured even jumping up those 2-3 inches I thought for sure I would miss and fall fat on my face.  Holy cow, it was amazing to do something that I was so afraid of.   I love your challenge and look forward to seeing more. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Looking good!

Totally understand the whole partner claiming to be supportive then doing the opposite whether they realise it or not.

Mine is like that, he picked me up from work yesterday and handed me a box with 2 pizza slices in it saying he had saved me some because he <3's me (if he could marry a pizza he probably would so the fact that he saved me some is a big deal but not helpful at all). He is slowly getting better at not eating/drink bad things in front of me and I'm slowly getting better at saying no when he offers things to me. Yesterday I only had 1 slice instead of both - my will power was only big enough to refuse 1.

P.s. I'm learning chain maille. Using a bracelet a friend made me I've taught myself European 4 in 1 - it would have been easier learning from your display pic though. Oh well I learnt it and I'm proud of myself :)

Good for you for exercising the willpower to get past that second piece of pizza!! Rock on!! *hi-5*

And very cool that you're learning how to chainmail! I taught myself, too, off from a headband that I had bought myself for my sister's wedding (it was a costume wedding and the bridal party was in Ren garb). That was back in 2000. ;P Since then I've made projects large and small - from a trench coat to now TWO scalemail vests and a micro-maille bracer that I've had since I was 19. ^_^ I lurv it!

Just dropping in to check out your quest.  I totally get the fear thing.  Just before last challenge I managed a box jump.  Ok, it wasn't a box, it was 1 of those steps for step classes, without anything underneath it.  But let me tell you, I was so freaking scared to jump I figured even jumping up those 2-3 inches I thought for sure I would miss and fall fat on my face.  Holy cow, it was amazing to do something that I was so afraid of.   I love your challenge and look forward to seeing more. 

Well hello there ma'am! :D Part of my fear of jumping is rooted in pain. When I was up in the 300s, I had crazy bad pain in my achilles' tendons that made me limp around for months. Just getting up from sitting at work and trying to walk to the printer was a painful experience. I still have some of that pain, but as I get lighter, the pain gets less and less. I'm just afraid of ripping or tearing something there and not being able to walk AT ALL.

Need to keep my eyes on the prize and just keep shedding this extra person I've been carrying around for far too long.

Get your own dang legs, Fat, and walk the heck away... I'm done dragging you around!

• Like 2

Update from last night:

After-school hustle got a hold of me and I found myself "alone" (ie. kids asleep in their beds) at 9pm with two options to finish off the night:
1) knock out the dishes and clean up the kitchen AND finish the laundry that I had been doing intermittently throughout the evening
2) abandon the kitchen for yet another night and work out, potentially pushing my bedtime back a couple hours in so doing

I chose to complete what I had started and busted out my kitchen and laundry room. Talk about a feeling of accomplishment!! Not that I had a TON of dishes or a TON of laundry left, but it was stuff that was just lingering around from the normal daily maintenance.

I'm really looking forward to working out tonight. I plan on changing as soon as I get home today and working out before the kids get home from school. Well, they'll get home in the middle of my workout, but I won't let that stop me from finishing it. ^__^

Dinner last night was pork chops with peas & green beans. And s'more pickled garlic.  :redface:  And rice for the kids. Which I avoided eating.

DAY ONE: SUCCESS!!

Day Two: so far so good. It's 8:30am and I haven't eaten anything yet. Skipping breakfast isn't too hard anymore... and heaven knows I don't need the calories for energy at my job. I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day. ;) IF for the win!

I resolve to get before pictures today before I work out.

I really want to SEE where I am at now so I can compare later.

And I'm going to post them. *deep breath*

Time to get uncomfortable! ^_^

• Like 2

I once had the stupid idea of making my own armour piece shoulders to knees, because it couldn't take that long could it?

worst. idea. ever

• Like 2

Day 2

Food: Lunch @ 10 of a 3 egg omelet with sautéed peppers & onions, some salsa and a healthy harvest peach mango applesauce. Soo good!

My after-work out snack was 1 egg scrambled with some salsa.

Dinner was 2 hamburger patties and half an onion plus 1.5 carrots sautéed up in the burger grease & drained. Deliciousness. And all good for my goal! Woot!

Workout: did my warmup & completed my first Angry Birds workout.

Squats: 30 & 25 (competed lvl 2 w/ 3 stars on my first run)

Incline Pushups: 10 & 4 to failure (didn't even complete the first lvl)

One Arm Row: 20 lbs x 14 & 16 per arm (completed lvl 1 w/ 3 stars!)

Planks: 31.5 & 31.9 seconds (goal for lvl 1 is 60 sec for 3 stars!)

Could have possibly done another circuit to utter failure but didn't want to destroy myself on day 1 of working out again.

Completed as much of a stretching cool down as I could seeing as the boys were being naughty & had to deal with them. *sigh* Boys!

Partial victory towards parkour training: I did 5 full jumping jacks! Woot! ^_^

• Like 1

I once had the stupid idea of making my own armour piece shoulders to knees, because it couldn't take that long could it?

worst. idea. ever

So how long did it take you?

Level X - Human Ranger

Str: X ~ Dex: X ~ Sta: X ~ Con: X ~ Wis: X ~ Cha: X

Rachy87 - Going to level up my way, watch this space!

Not all who wander are lost 

So how long did it take you?

Yeah I'm kinda curious, too... ;)

Update from last night: I got a hankering for something sweet, so I marched to the kitchen and proceeded to invent(?) something I'm going to call pumpkin pie applesauce. Apples are ridiculously cheap right now cause it's harvest time! :D So I've got a decent amount of apples sitting around home. And I LURVs me some homemade sauce. This turned out pretty darn good. Made it with 1.5c home prepped pumpkin, 4 apples, 1.5 tsp cinnamon, a pinch of cloves & ended up adding 2 packets of Stevia in the Raw to the finished pot once it was all said and done for that extra boost in sweetness that was missing cause my pumpkin stole all the sugar out of the apples. LOL! Needed some nutmeg and maybe a splash of vanilla, but didn't have either. I ate about a cup of it last night and still had a cup left to put in the fridge after an indiscriminate amount was eaten by the hubs when he got home. YAY!

Also of note this morning: I'm deliciously sore. ^_^ Not "omg I can't walk" but rather "hurts so good!" - lol! So glad I didn't push it harder cause I would have been crippled today... and that's not the point. I'm still able to function, which is good cause I'll be doing this again on Thursday. ;P

• Like 4

I love your theme of fearlessness. I know all about fear tied to weight or lack of fitness. You can also add me to the list of folks who are unintentionally undermined by the spousal unit. It's not malicious at all but it really sucks when I've put together a good day, resisted all the temptations and my partner says, "I want ice cream." 

Looks like your challenge is off to a great start! 

• Like 2

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines