Thatgirljj returns... something, something, something

thatgirljj

Hi y'all!  So I pretty much skipped last challenge entirely.  I wish I could say I had some awesome, exciting reason why, but the main reason is that my mom's oncologist changed course and recommended she do a 3 month course of chemo, which sent our entire family scrambling to deal.  NerdFitness went by the wayside (along with a lot of other things).  Water under the bridge and all that....

For those that don't know me, I'm jj.  I am a 40 year old recreational aerialist, with about 5 years experience in the air.  Right now I mostly train on straps which is a stupidly difficult apparatus, but I love it.  I'm also a mom, and a gardener, currently trying to rehab the yard of the incredibly neglected house we purchased last year.  Oh and I'm also sort of a costuming geek, right now I'm working on a Toothless costume for my son for Halloween.  Yay dragons!   I think that hits most of the bases. 

Goals for this challenge:

#1. Reestablish ye olde training program, with flexibility as needed around helping out my mom.  

Ye olde training program is simple, train in aerial or other circus stuff 2 days a week, and lower body weight training 2 days a week.  Because of my need for flexibility, I'm going to allow myself to substitute training on the P-bars for a circus workout as needed.  It's still an upper body bodyweight workout.

#2. Experiment with a low volume handstand/pullup program.

OK... so you know those low volume training plans where people do a pullup every day, or 10 pushups or 1 minute handstand holds or etcetera, etcetera?  Every time I've tried that type of training I end up really overextending my wrists or forearms.  So I'm going to try something slightly different.  3 days a week of 1 minutes of handstand holds + 30 seconds of handstand weight transfers (with optional time playing around with cartwheels & pirouettes).  3 days a week of 2-3 pullups a day.  I'm just trying to see here if there's a way I can play around with variety to avoid overstressing any one particular muscle group, but still get in the benefits of low volume, easy training.  

#3. A little bit of yoga most days.

Nothing major here, but I've been thinking of doing a yoga teacher training, and I think that I would really benefit from being more consistent in my practice.  Not to mention it's a damn good thing to do when you're stressed and worried about an ill family member.  So do some yoga most days, don't stress if I skip around.

Oh and BTW... I've got a recital video for you kids.  ;-)

• Like 4

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

I'm glad you're back!  I really hope your mom is doing well.  Great recital piece!  As always, I'm super jealous of your flexibility.  :)

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Ok, this last week was rough, I popped in to plan out my challenge, but that was about it.  My husband was out of town on a >week long business trip, and my mom was in the sickest days of her latest chemo treatment (and it was 103 out and my 6 year old was being a huge pill, but that's another story).  Hopefully, I'll have a chance to catch up on threads today and tomorrow.

So far challenge goals have been going well.  Tuesday was one of those days where I couldn't do much but take care of other people and play some video games to destress, but otherwise I'm fairly on track.  

Goal #1: I will miss one weight training session this week because of Tuesday, but on track for circus workouts.

Goal #2: Low volume training is working out so far, 5/6 sessions with 2 days to go.

Goal #3: So far I've done yoga 3/5 days.

I also drafted the wings for Toothless, hopefully I'll have a little time to cut them today.

Would people like gardening/landscaping updates?  I'm finally at the point where I need to start doing stuff (other than digging a drainage trench), although I'm so super busy that it's really going to be only planting one or two things here and there until my mom wraps up chemo.  

• Like 1

So good that your mom has you to help take care of her. Great job on the challenge, despite life throwing everything at you.

Wisdom 20   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

OK... so I just realized something.  Part of the reason my last few challenges have sucked is because I have felt really guilty about not going around and supporting everyone.  And I haven't been doing that because I feel overwhelmed catching up on the threads. And then I end up feeling awful about it and not posting.  And... hey... doesn't this sound JUST like my social anxiety problem?  

Yes, yes it does.

A couple years back I did CBT therapy for social anxiety (I think at the time, calling a therapist was one of my NF challenge goals).  Things in my real life are better around those issues, although I still have phone issues and I am backsliding into my "I have friends, great, now I don't need to make any new ones!" attitudes.  But I'm now dealing with anxiety about engaging people online.  So yeah... this is stupid, and I need to stop.  So, side goal for this challenge... check in on others at least 5 times a week.  Sorry if my comments are a little behind the times, but I'm going to do my best to engage.

And thank you everyone for the nice comments about my recital piece.  Sylph, yeah most of what I was doing was transferred from silks, but it's different because with no tails you can spin (and also, obviously, hooking feet through the straps is a different dynamic than any type of footlock, and yeah the stripes bite a little more than silks.)

-jj

Over 40?  Aerial?  Cut from the same cloth we are :)

I'm 43 and have just one kiddo, who's 3-pushing-4.  I practice in Boulder, CO.  Mostly horizontal apparatus, low-flying trapeze and hoop, some static trapeze.  You vertical apparatus folks are hard core--nowhere to rest!  Unless you give yourself a tourniquet!  My wife is into rope and fabric, both of which I've tried but never felt at home on.

Anyway, I'd love to follow your challenge.  It's inspiring to find other aerialists in the "past-40" vein.  Aside from the founder, and two instructors, there are very few of us at the studio I train at.

Handstands!!!

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

Hi there!  Mid challenge (OK, near-end-of-challenge) check in.  

Goal #1: Training program is back in gear.  YAY!  Seriously, after the craziness of this summer, I'm happy for this one alone.  

Goal #2: Low volume training program has been a bit hit or miss.  I'm getting in 3-5 sessions a week, but it's not happening as consistently as I like.  The good news is that doing it semi-consistently has NOT aggravated any tendonitis or overuse kind of stuff.  So that's good.  I think I need to be more consistent to really judge how well this is working.

Goal #3:  My yoga has kind of dropped off.  :-P  Maybe 1-3 times a week, which is not at all what I was working for.  

Semi-goal of being more social.... well, I'm not doing very well on NF with this, but that's because I've been better in my real life at socializing with people I don't know yet.  So kind of a mixed bag.  

And Mediaguy99... HI!!!!  Oddly, I know quite a few over 40 aerialists at my studio and nearly NONE online.  So it's nice to (virtually) meet you.  That's funny that you make a division between horizontal apparatuses and vertical ones... my division is between soft apparatuses (fabric, hammock, straps, rope) and hard ones (hoop, trapeze, lots of funny custom ones).  And of course you can rest, that's what hip keys are for!  :-)

• Like 1

Well, it's good to "meet" you.  Glad you've got plenty of folks our age to play around in the air with.  It's discouraging at times to be so very old... not so much out of shape, but really there's nothing that compares to the physical shape you can achieve in your 20's.

Yup, every session they offer a "vertical" class and a "horizontal" class, on Tuesdays and Thursdays respectively.  And there's always low trap and fabric on the weekends.

Would love to have more time and money to take more than one class a session too...

Anyway, glad you're doing so well with your training program!  Just getting it back off the ground is a huge accomplishment :)

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines