Annabjoyful and the Return to Routine

AnnaBJoyful

Annabjoyful and the Return to Routine

After successfully completing my first NF challenge earlier this spring, I entered a time of kind of crazy life stress.  My job took a turn for the worst, and I made the decision to leave, find a new position, and subsequently relocate to be closer to family. I'm happy to report that I have a new job, am happily relocated, and it looks like there will be much less stress in my life and much more manageable work hours. YAY!!!

Of course that means it's time to get back into a routine.  During my hiatus I have been able to manage...mostly; I haven't gained weight (but I haven't lost any either), but I can tell that my stamina is not quite what it has been, and we're not even going to talk about sleep schedules.

My fitness goals are the same: I want to build muscle, lose fat, gain agility, and increase flexibility to be a better, more versatile swing dancer. BUT. The most important thing here is that I need to ease back into things, so this is a challenge that I can complete relatively easily...the challenge will be consistency.  If things go well the first few weeks I may add some other objectives for each goal, but for the most part I'm going to just keep it simple.

Goal 1) Fitness - Work out 3+ times a week

The challenge here is consistency.  In the past I did home workouts, but now I'll be using a gym as my primary workout facility.  My gym workouts will be a cardio warmup followed by free weights and resistance training to cover the whole body, focusing on certain muscle groups on certain days.  My secondary workouts will be Pilates and light free weights at home.

I'll be grading this goal weekly, as follows: A=4+ workouts, B=3 workouts, C=2 workouts, D=1 workout, F=0 workouts

Goal 2) Diet - DRINK WATER ( 2 24oz bottles of water a day)

Nothing fancy, not even going to set specific food or food tracking goal; I just need to drink more water. This is the bane of my existence, and I'm feeling it even more now that I have moved further south.  I can't explain why, but drinking adequate amounts of water is so hard.  

Grading weekly on days when I have drunk two bottles of water: A=6-7 days, B=5 days, C=4 days, D=3 days, F= 2 days or less

Goal 3) Sleep - Establish a regular sleep schedule

New time zone, new work schedule, new sleep schedule.  Goal here will be to be in bed by 10:00 and up by 6:00. I'll be doing the same thing that worked for me during my first challenge, which is no screens after 9:00, no caffeine after 2:00 pm, and one sleep time alarm to wake me up (no snoozing!). Allowances will be made for sleeping in a bit on the weekend and going to bed later on dance nights.

Grading weekly based on days when I have met my bed time: A=6-7 days, B=5 days, C=4 days, D=3 days, F= 2 days or less

Life Goal - 20 minutes of devotion time every day

My life is nothing without my faith in God, and the most important part of my routine will be spending time in prayer and meditation.

Grading weekly based on days when I have met my devotion goal: A=6-7 days, B=5 days, C=4 days, D=3 days, F= 2 days or less

Thank you for joining me on this commitment - it's great to be back! Honestly, the goal here is to just finish, but hopefully the grading system will help me stay motivated. I'll be keeping a daily log and will keep you all updated with my dance life whenever I have new pics or videos :D

• Like 4

AnnaBJoyful: Christ-Follower, Swing Dancer, Researcher, Traveler, Lover of Life

Level 2 Human | Dance-Ninja-Assassin
STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Challenge 1

hey welcome back! glad you are all settled down!

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Welcome back!  I love your goals, especially the goal do have daily devotions.  I've tried to get build a regular habit and it always seems to fall by the wayside eventually, but it's nice to see someone make that a Life Goal to that have commitment.  I wish you the best, and God bless!

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Level 6 Lawful Neutral Human Ranger STR 11 / DEX 11 / CON 9 / INT 14 / WIS 11 / CHA 13

"All glory comes from daring to begin."  -   Eugene F. Ware

Tuesday, Sept 16th

Fitness - break

Diet - 1.5 bottles of water 

Sleep - in bed at 10:09

Devotion - None today

Day 2 = much busier than expected, so not as much accomplished today

Wednesday, Sept 17th

Fitness - 45 min workout, cardio and arms

Diet - 2 bottles of water 

Sleep - in bed at 10:19

Devotion - 20 minutes of Bible reading and prayer

Day 3 = Overall pretty good! Sleep has been a challenge, because even though I'm going to bed at about the right time, I'm not falling asleep until later, but that's something that will come as my body gets used to the new schedule.

• Like 1

Challenge 1

You make getting a new job and moving seem easy. 

May-15-2012-01-49-17-sfgvdf.jpeg

Haha! Great photo  :cool-new:

I'm amazed at how well things came together!  It helps to have a profession that is in high demand, but even so, it was a shockingly fast transition.

Challenge 1

how_are_you_036.jpg

Thank for checking in guys - I'm gonna have to call this one a bust, but for some interesting and overall positive reasons.

The same weekend this challenge got started, I met some other dancers in my new city, and in the past few weeks we've been setting ourselves up to start a new Lindy Hop scene. This has pushed me to some exciting and brave things I never ever dreamed of doing, but it also has brought one big truth to light: my life is not routine.  I love the idea of routine, and I think it's healthy, but I also enjoy the freedom of spontaneity, and, let's face it, if I was planning to work out after work and a friend says, "hey let's get dinner and go check out a potential dance venue" I'm not going to go work out. Not to mention I LOVE weekend travel, and it's much harder to keep a five-days' routine.  

So basically I think I set up my challenge with theoretically great goals that were realistic for direction I thought I wanted my life to take, but recognized too late that this simply does not fit the reality of my life.  Yes I want to work out 3+ times a week. Yes I want to drink more water (This is a lie. I really dislike drinking water, but I know I need to). Yes I want more regular sleep. Yes I want to spend time reading my bible and praying ever day (thankfully this has actually been fairly successful).  But here are some things I've learned and will be using to make my next challenge (hopefully) successful:

1. I like working out, and even enjoy it sometimes, but given the choice between working out and doing something with friends, I'm not going to choose working out.  Potential solution: plan to work out when it won't conflict with social opportunities....before work? That's so early. Make gym time Introvert time by listening to audiobooks while working out? 
  2. Sleep is great, but dancing is not conducive to a regular sleep schedule. Potential solution: practice good sleep hygiene, but don't try to force a regular 8 hours. This is not a realistic goal.
  3. This is an exciting time in my dance life. I'm achieving great things and pushing myself. This could be a great motivator. Potential solution: more dance-related fitness? Private lessons as a reward for achievements?
  4. Priorities are a daily struggle. Now that I'm not working around the clock and have time for a more social life, I need to find a way to balance my personal and interpersonal development with my general introversion and need for down time.  Tall order.
  5. NF needs to be a priority.  It just does.  There are so many things I want for my life, and this is a great tool for achieving them.  Tracking my goals was tough this time around, not because my tracking system was difficult, but because it just wasn't a priority in my mind.

So these are things I've been up to and thinking over. Seriously, some days I feel like I want to achieve so many things, there just aren't enough hours in the day. So overall, learned a lot, but still slightly discouraged and a bit puzzled over how to proceed.

Challenge 1

Thank for checking in guys - I'm gonna have to call this one a bust, but for some interesting and overall positive reasons.

The same weekend this challenge got started, I met some other dancers in my new city, and in the past few weeks we've been setting ourselves up to start a new Lindy Hop scene. This has pushed me to some exciting and brave things I never ever dreamed of doing, but it also has brought one big truth to light: my life is not routine.  I love the idea of routine, and I think it's healthy, but I also enjoy the freedom of spontaneity, and, let's face it, if I was planning to work out after work and a friend says, "hey let's get dinner and go check out a potential dance venue" I'm not going to go work out. Not to mention I LOVE weekend travel, and it's much harder to keep a five-days' routine.  

So basically I think I set up my challenge with theoretically great goals that were realistic for direction I thought I wanted my life to take, but recognized too late that this simply does not fit the reality of my life.  Yes I want to work out 3+ times a week. Yes I want to drink more water (This is a lie. I really dislike drinking water, but I know I need to). Yes I want more regular sleep. Yes I want to spend time reading my bible and praying ever day (thankfully this has actually been fairly successful).  But here are some things I've learned and will be using to make my next challenge (hopefully) successful:

1. I like working out, and even enjoy it sometimes, but given the choice between working out and doing something with friends, I'm not going to choose working out.  Potential solution: plan to work out when it won't conflict with social opportunities....before work? That's so early. Make gym time Introvert time by listening to audiobooks while working out? 
  2. Sleep is great, but dancing is not conducive to a regular sleep schedule. Potential solution: practice good sleep hygiene, but don't try to force a regular 8 hours. This is not a realistic goal.
  3. This is an exciting time in my dance life. I'm achieving great things and pushing myself. This could be a great motivator. Potential solution: more dance-related fitness? Private lessons as a reward for achievements?
  4. Priorities are a daily struggle. Now that I'm not working around the clock and have time for a more social life, I need to find a way to balance my personal and interpersonal development with my general introversion and need for down time.  Tall order.
  5. NF needs to be a priority.  It just does.  There are so many things I want for my life, and this is a great tool for achieving them.  Tracking my goals was tough this time around, not because my tracking system was difficult, but because it just wasn't a priority in my mind.

So these are things I've been up to and thinking over. Seriously, some days I feel like I want to achieve so many things, there just aren't enough hours in the day. So overall, learned a lot, but still slightly discouraged and a bit puzzled over how to proceed.

Sounds like you are having a great time and having lots of adventures. Great that you made time for Bible reading and prayer.  My thoughts on your other goals:

Workout 3 times a week: Sounds like you are getting exercise in by dancing. Do you have some goals for the other exercise? Maybe just getting stronger? Could you achieve that goal another way? It might be quicker and easier to do the pilates and free weights at home rather than go to the gym. Or just make your gym time very disciplined and short. And maybe just aim for 2 times a week, which if you are dancing is really probably enough. Or maybe there are some skills to work on for dance that would build strength as well.

Glad to see you are having so much fun!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Sounds like you are having a great time and having lots of adventures. Great that you made time for Bible reading and prayer.  My thoughts on your other goals:

Workout 3 times a week: Sounds like you are getting exercise in by dancing. Do you have some goals for the other exercise? Maybe just getting stronger? Could you achieve that goal another way? It might be quicker and easier to do the pilates and free weights at home rather than go to the gym. Or just make your gym time very disciplined and short. And maybe just aim for 2 times a week, which if you are dancing is really probably enough. Or maybe there are some skills to work on for dance that would build strength as well.

Glad to see you are having so much fun!

Great points Elastigirl - I exercise to improve my dancing, and also to manage my weight.  I'd like to get stronger, so I've been thinking about other things I could be doing that aren't as time-intensive as you say.  If I can convince myself to get up and do either my pilates video or 10 pushups, I think that would really help with my strength training goals.  Weight is better managed by eating well anyway, but I would like to have an element of cardio/endurance training in my workouts.  If I'm dancing 3 nights a week, I really shouldn't be too worried about this, but right now I feel like this is an area that needs improvement, and it's not something I have access to at my apartment.

So one thought is to do workouts at my house and then maybe plan once a week for a more intensive workout class with an element of cardio to it, with dance to balance it all out.

Challenge 1

Great points Elastigirl - I exercise to improve my dancing, and also to manage my weight.  I'd like to get stronger, so I've been thinking about other things I could be doing that aren't as time-intensive as you say.  If I can convince myself to get up and do either my pilates video or 10 pushups, I think that would really help with my strength training goals.  Weight is better managed by eating well anyway, but I would like to have an element of cardio/endurance training in my workouts.  If I'm dancing 3 nights a week, I really shouldn't be too worried about this, but right now I feel like this is an area that needs improvement, and it's not something I have access to at my apartment.

So one thought is to do workouts at my house and then maybe plan once a week for a more intensive workout class with an element of cardio to it, with dance to balance it all out.

This sounds like a very doable plan

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines