Elastigirl :Just Another Day in the Life of A Superhero

Elastigirl

njam now i've got a hanckering for apple crumble. good thing it's wet weather here in belgium. Is it just me or do sweet pastries taste better when it's cold outside :)?

Level 10 Bleu Gardien Assassin of the Lanomia Clan

Buddhist, Traceur, Martial Artist, Assassin, Templar

Strenght: 22 Constitution: 9 Dexterity: 4 Wisdom: 12 Stamina: 11 Charisma: 5
- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

Mmmm. Crisp/crumble sounds delicious. I think that would be called an apple cobbler in my house. :)

This post managed to escape being eaten by Tapatalk.

Quite possibly, but it's still what my family would call it, lol. :tongue:

Haha, funny how people have different names

To the google machine!

A crumble and crisp are very similar, except that a crumble has oats in it and a crisp doesn't. Cobblers on the other hands are topped with biscuits. 

My husband was fine with me making it with almond flour and  stevia, but oatmeal was not allowed because "that isn't apple crisp" apparently in Kansas apple crisps are very important. ;) 

Well if this were a discussion about pie there would be no confusion. Just sayin'

Excellent job with the push-ups . Need to get back to that PVP myself:)

Sent via Phone-Bot... "Phone-Bot will enslave the humans. Beep, boop, bop."

Nom. love pie. But crisp is about the extent of my baking abilities. Pie crusts are way beyond my ability.

The heroes need you. Today is the last day for this particular challenge. The villains have destroyed the power plant and taken hostages. We need your help to save the city. But, uh, no pressure or anything.  ;) 

njam now i've got a hanckering for apple crumble. good thing it's wet weather here in belgium. Is it just me or do sweet pastries taste better when it's cold outside :)?

Because warm weather is for ice cream.  

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Yesterday:

Did my workout but only had a chance to do one set of squat mobility work 10 minutes-and hanging on bar, a little bit of work on handstand holds. This week was a little busy, and starting to feel like I have too many goals. Not a good sign when I am starting to feel burned out on my goals by week two. So, I think I'm going to streamline them a bit. Tomorrow, I'll post my review and updated goals. 

My kettlebell stuff is going great. I love the feeling of being able to lift more weight. 

Food is going good too, Despite eating at friends yesterday, I still kept my carb under 100 net grams. I made some awesome chicken curry-nom. 

Friday:

Warm up

Handstand shrugs

Handstand 40 s,30s

Clean and press 25# 1-2-3-4/1-2-3-4/1-2-3-4/1-2-3-4/1-2-3- TOTAL- =1150 pounds lifted

Pull 1 real-2(real, knee)3 real,knee neg-1 real 2knee- 3 knee 4 knee,neg,2nd set repeat,3rd set knee assist, 1-2)

80 swings/5 minutes

• Like 3

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I can't seem to find arrowroot at the grocery story. I've seen it in recipes though. Don't even know what it is. The root of an arrow? I'd love suggestions. We still have apples, so I want to try again. Other sweeteners I can use are honey and maple syrup

Arrowroot is occasionally called kudzu root starch. I usually find it at health food stores, like co-ops or Whole Foods. Tapioca starch might work just as well, and is easier to find.

Since you can use maple syrup or honey, I will post a recipe for at least the apple filling tomorrow morning at home on my computer. :)

• Like 1

Silly phone. Looked like it was not loading, but double posted instead. @-@

Arrowroot is occasionally called kudzu root starch. I usually find it at health food stores, like co-ops or Whole Foods. Tapioca starch might work just as well, and is easier to find.

Since you can use maple syrup or honey, I will post a recipe for at least the apple filling tomorrow morning at home on my computer. :)

My box of arrowroot powder actually has in brackets under its title tapioca starch. I can post a picture of it if you like.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowroot

They (tapioca and arrowroot) are different in the brands I buy, and behave slightly differently in cooking, specifically in regard to their thickening power around boiling. I think tapioca will work fine in this case, and is usually a lot cheaper. Cassava flour behaves quite differently in baking than tapioca, though it is from the same plant. Go figure.

Actually, your potato starch might do the trick, since you are mostly looking for a thickener for helping the tasty stuff stick with the apples. I am not 100% sure, though, since I do not usually bake with potato starch.

• Like 2

I've only been able to find arrowroot powder at my local food co-op. It's usually in the ill section

We are getting apples today and I am all over making a crisp now!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Interesting.  I've seen tapioca starch,I might try that.

My box of arrowroot powder actually has in brackets under its title tapioca starch. I can post a picture of it if you like.

Hmm, that's interesting that it say tapioca. I've seen tapioca. I'll look at the store for that. 

Your thread makes me hungry. :) Sorry to hear you're handstand practice has been a bit off. I'm sure you'll find your groove again soon. Looks like your KB work is as impressive as ever though!

Me too. Funny thing with the handstand is its just been random stuff that has been slowing it down. 

I've only been able to find arrowroot powder at my local food co-op. It's usually in the ill section

We are getting apples today and I am all over making a crisp now!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

How did your crisp turn out?

Wow, all the weights lifted! Great job :)

Tell me, do you use a phone app for geocaching?

Thanks. We don't use a phone app, but you can. Many people do. We actually don't have smart phones (last hold outs on the planet) 

• Like 2

WEEK 2

Let me start out by start out by saying this week wasn't a fail, I did ok at the stuff. But, mentally I felt like I was failing. I use goals to help me focus. This week was slightly busier than normal, not crazy, just a bit busy. And I felt like I was behind on my goals, and choosing which ones, and I didn't know where to focus, and feeling very burned out. Which is a BAD sign for week 2. So, even though it wasn't a fail, I decided to simplify my goals and this weekend I spent some brain time on what I most wanted to do. This is so tough for me, because I want to DO ALL THE THINGS, but then I get unfocused, spin around in circles, and do nothing. So part of this write up will be my challenge update.

Goal # 1

60 second crow and 60 second handstand

Really spend time on these, and get them to a point where most of time I can reach 60 seconds with good form

Did the handstand practice 3 times this week, though none of the practices was great. Crow did once.

updated challenge:

Dropping the crow goal and just focusing on the handstand

Goal # 2 Stretching My Limits

Continue  the hanging challenge (at least 2 x during day) and work on the mobility squat challenge (30 minutes in day) Have a total of 30 days by challenge end

Bar hangs XXXXXXXXXXX  XXXXXX  XXXXXX  XXXXXX  XXXXXX

Squats      XXXXXX    XXXXXX   XXXXXX  XXXXXX XXXXXX  XXXXXX

Blue= complete, red =miss yellow = partially complete

Not bad, none really complete. But this was really what was making me feel overwhelmed. Trying to put in 7 minutes of bar work + 30 minutes of mobility squat + workout + of course I want to spend time doing my PVP.

challenge update

dropping the bar goal (though I still will work on it, just not a goal

dropping the mobility squat goal to one session of mobility squat work (Ido Portal or frogger or something similar) + 15 min of hold 5 days a week

Goal #3 The shape I want- be assassin lean 

Going well. Just tracking carbs is easier than tracking everything. Funny, i"m using Myfitness Pal, but only logging the starchy carb foods, so my calorie intake looks super low, and MFP keeps telling me I'm not eating enough :D 

If I want to not gain weight I need to be mindful of some food guidelines that work for me:

My rules:

1) measure starchy carbs  and track them-net carbs between 50g and 100g (2 days a week I won't worry about tracking but still be aware of serving sizes)

2) no more than  one serving of nuts a day

3) sweet stuff- only desserts allowed are homemade ( which are stevia or non sugar sweetener) and a serving of dark chocolate. I will allow myself  2 free exemptions during the challenge (note-exemption applies to one serving size)

4) Eat according to my Paleo rules most of the time (yes this is non specific- I seem to do good with doing it about 90% of the time, and have a pretty good idea of the balance I need)

To help with this I will be participating in a Food PVP

Life Goal:
Do 2 new recipes a week; I have a new Paleo book Everyday Paleo Thai Cousine and some others from other cookbooks. This doesn't have to be an entire dish, I also just want to make some of the spice mixes and sauces:

Done. I made this recipe(though I skipped the rice) http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ground-beef-stuffed-acorn-squash,  and dried apples. Nothing yet from my Paleo cookbook. The dried apples are soooo good.
  • Like 2

updated goals; mainly for my reference:

Goal # 1

60 second crow and 60 second handstand

Really spend time on these, and get them to a point where most of time I can reach 60 seconds with good form

Goal # 2 Stretching My Limits

Continue  the hanging challenge (at least 2 x during day) and work on the mobilty squat challenge (30 minutes in day)mobility drill + 15 minutes of holds. Have a total of 30 days by challenge end

Goal #3 The shape I want 

If I want to not gain weight I need to be mindful of some food guidelines that work for me:

My rules:

1) measure starchy carbs  and track them-net carbs between 50g and 100g (2 days a week I won't worry about tracking but still be aware of serving sizes)

2) no more than  one serving of nuts a day

3) sweet stuff- only desserts allowed are homemade ( which are stevia or non sugar sweetener) and a serving of dark chocolate. I will allow myself  2 free exemptions during the challenge (note-exemption applies to one serving size)

4) Eat according to my Paleo rules most of the time (yes this is non specific- I seem to do good with doing it about 90% of the time, and have a pretty good idea of the balance I need)

To help with this I will be participating in a Food PVP

Life Goal:
Do 2 new recipes a week; I have a new Paleo book Everyday Paleo Thai Cousine and some others from other cookbooks. This doesn't have to be an entire dish, I also just want to make some of the spice mixes and sauces:
  • Like 3

Dude! Can I just say, You're freaking awesome?

I saw two posts of just you rocking this thing!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I'm so glad you updated your goals.  The 30 minutes of squat and the hanging challenge just take up so much time that they aren't going to leave enough time to actually do the things you want.  Great job with the KB-ing!

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

EG, you are always so thoughtful with your challenges. I love how you adapt to keep the spirit of what you are trying to accomplish, while taking care of yourself. :)

And now that I am finally at my computer, here is the apple pie/crisp/cobbler FILLING recipe. I have been making it for years, sometimes as a pie, but usually as cobbler because GF pie crust is just so tedious. :tongue:

Apple Filling Recipe

6 cups of peeled, sliced apples

1-2 Tablespoons of lemon juice

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp allspice

1/8 tsp powdered cloves (optional)

1 Tbsp arrowroot or tapioca starch

1/3 c. honey + 2 Tbsp maple syrup  (alternately, you can use 1/2 cup of palm sugar or granulated maple syrup)

***If you like more flavor in the filling, you can add half again (or even double) the spices. I often do that because we like strongly spiced apples. :)

• Peel apples and put in large bowl.
  • Sprinkle with lemon juice and spices.
  • Stir well.
  • Add thickener and sweetener. Stir well.
  • Add to your pan and cook as instructed in the crust or topping recipe.

My cobbler topping is simple - I just mix almond meal and a bit of tapioca starch (maybe 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup?) with some cinnamon (1 tsp? I guesstimate all of the topping and have never written it down), and either mix in some palm sugar (1/8 tsp or less of stevia would work), and/or fork mash in some palm oil (we like the butter-flavor red palm oil. Coconut oil works fine, too, but has a strong flavor my husband dislikes). Then I bake it all at 325 or 350 degrees (F) for an hour or until the apples are soft.

Now I want cobbler... :highly_amused:

• Like 1

really super goal update. I hate feeling constrained to a hard and very defined program, personally. it's good to shake it loose a little and focus on what you're really interested in doing.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Dude! Can I just say, You're freaking awesome?

I saw two posts of just you rocking this thing!

Thanks!

I'm so glad you updated your goals.  The 30 minutes of squat and the hanging challenge just take up so much time that they aren't going to leave enough time to actually do the things you want.  Great job with the KB-ing!

EG, you are always so thoughtful with your challenges. I love how you adapt to keep the spirit of what you are trying to accomplish, while taking care of yourself. :)

And now that I am finally at my computer, here is the apple pie/crisp/cobbler FILLING recipe. I have been making it for years, sometimes as a pie, but usually as cobbler because GF pie crust is just so tedious. :tongue:

Apple Filling Recipe

6 cups of peeled, sliced apples

1-2 Tablespoons of lemon juice

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp allspice

1/8 tsp powdered cloves (optional)

1 Tbsp arrowroot or tapioca starch

1/3 c. honey + 2 Tbsp maple syrup  (alternately, you can use 1/2 cup of palm sugar or granulated maple syrup)

***If you like more flavor in the filling, you can add half again (or even double) the spices. I often do that because we like strongly spiced apples. :)

• Peel apples and put in large bowl.
  • Sprinkle with lemon juice and spices.
  • Stir well.
  • Add thickener and sweetener. Stir well.
  • Add to your pan and cook as instructed in the crust or topping recipe.

My cobbler topping is simple - I just mix almond meal and a bit of tapioca starch (maybe 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup?) with some cinnamon (1 tsp? I guesstimate all of the topping and have never written it down), and either mix in some palm sugar (1/8 tsp or less of stevia would work), and/or fork mash in some palm oil (we like the butter-flavor red palm oil. Coconut oil works fine, too, but has a strong flavor my husband dislikes). Then I bake it all at 325 or 350 degrees (F) for an hour or until the apples are soft.

Now I want cobbler... :highly_amused:

Nom, I used your recipe for the the filling part- I liked my prior recipe for the topping (very similar) and it was so good. 

really super goal update. I hate feeling constrained to a hard and very defined program, personally. it's good to shake it loose a little and focus on what you're really interested in doing.

Thanks.I like to have a program, but I also like to leave enough time in my program to play a bit. 

• Like 1

Good thing  I scaled down my challenge. Today was very fallish. Cold, rainy, and gray. Not very inspiring to do all the things. I  decided against a morning walk and did a Scott Sonnon yoga flow. After breakfast I did my workout. KB snatch went a lot better now that I know how to breathe (thanks KBGirl) I still have some squat holds to work on, maybe I'll see what's on Netflix and do it while I watch.

Had some apple crisp for dessert (NOM) and made a ton of apple sauce, to be made into crockpot applebutter. 

Oh, and I did straight leg raises for the first time-WOOT!

workout

Warm up

Handstand 20s/30s

Clean and press 25# 1-2 x 4 ; 1-light day

Half leg raises 4-4/3-3/2-3/3-2/2

Snatch 20# 40s L.40s R. 40s rest x 5

• Like 3

sometimes life gets in the way of training. There's nothing to do, you just jump back on the horse afterwards like you always do :D

good idea on updating your challenges, will monitor how this goes further. Must remember these recipes for myself, even though I don't follow the Paleo diet I could try them (more or less as a vegetarian :P)

• Like 1

Level 10 Bleu Gardien Assassin of the Lanomia Clan

Buddhist, Traceur, Martial Artist, Assassin, Templar

Strenght: 22 Constitution: 9 Dexterity: 4 Wisdom: 12 Stamina: 11 Charisma: 5
- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

Glad to hear the kb workouts are going well, and that your apple crisp turned out yummy!

Leg raises are so full of pain, good job! Glad you figured the breathing thing out :) does make snatches kinda fun right?

The snatches were sorta fun, until they were not fun ;) Your suggestion was 40s L/40s R, rest x 8- I made it to 5 before my hands said they were done. Something to shoot for though. Next time I'll make it to 6 

sometimes life gets in the way of training. There's nothing to do, you just jump back on the horse afterwards like you always do :D

good idea on updating your challenges, will monitor how this goes further. Must remember these recipes for myself, even though I don't follow the Paleo diet I could try them (more or less as a vegetarian :tongue:)

Thanks. I alsl try and make it so my goals have some margin for them. Because in a 6 week challenge, you know life is going to happen. This week has been busier than last, but I feel like I'm still mostly getting my goals in.

Glad to hear the kb workouts are going well, and that your apple crisp turned out yummy!

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Not sure when I updated. Did my kettlebell workout yesterday. Today I walked to the park, did sprints, and then my 25 burpees. When I got home I did my mobility squats. Haven't done any other squat holds today. Maybe this evening? Not sure I have some other stuff to do  too, so it may not happen. 

Diet- yesterday was over my carbs a bit and today I need to write in MFP, but I think I'm good. 

• Like 2

The snatches were sorta fun, until they were not fun ;) Your suggestion was 40s L/40s R, rest x 8- I made it to 5 before my hands said they were done. Something to shoot for though. Next time I'll make it to 6 

Hahahaha yes, until they were not fun :D

5 is really nice actually :) You'll probably make it to 8 by the end of the challenge.

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines