• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TourdeForce

There and back again: TourdeForce preps for Mt Kenya

My last challenge fizzled to a sad, lonely stop mid-way through, but I'm back in time to get myself off my ass and ready to make these 6 weeks count.

My over-all goals are two-fold:

1. On 1st November I will be hiking up Mt Kenya on a 5-day trek

2. On 26th October is the Nairobi Marathon, and there is a 10km run I would like to do...

So I have 6 weeks to get myself fit enough to jog 10k and then hike up the second highest mountain in Africa a week later. Overly-ambitious?

pfffft, I laugh in the face of danger...mwahahahaha!

6 Week Goals:

1 - Follow the jogging routine posted on the marathon website to build up my times. I've printed out the timetable and put it on my fridge, so I just need to get up every morning and get outside and jog. Easy. On Sundays I will go to the forest and follow the 5/8/10km trail to time myself.

6 days/week +5STA

5 days/week +4STA

4 days/week +3STA

3 or less days/week - Fail

2 - Bodyweight workout 3 x a week, with extra focus on squats/lunges to build up leg muscles

3 x/week +3STR +2DEX

2 x/week +2STR +1DEX

1 x/week - Fail

3 - Increase water intake to make sure I'm hydrated enough to stave off altitude sickness

7-8 x glasses/day +3CON +2WIS

5-6 x glasses/day +2CON +1WIS

4 or less glasses/day - Fail

That's all I'm focusing on this challenge. I'll be winding up my life and work in Nairobi and preparing for the move back home to Cape Town, so I have a lot going on anyway. The most important thing is to make sure I can get to the top of the mountain, so building stamina is key. 

• Like 4

Mt. Kenya sounds super cool!! And living in a high-altitude city, it's great to see that you're including hydration as part of your goals. Not everyone realizes what altitude can do to you.

Best of luck to you!!

The eagles would be most welcome, when I did Kilimanjaro 4 years ago it was the descent that killed me and slayed my poor knees!

Day one stats:

Run - nope

BWW - nada

Water - 8 glasses - check! Also many many bathroom breaks! 

Slow start, nothing that can't be fixed in the morning with a 20 min jog...

• Like 1

Nice goals TdF! Glad to see you back  :rapture: sometimes simple goals are the best (ahem...says the person with...18 sub-goals). Go run-squat-drink! (Just not all at once)

ok, so a little revision early on - turns out that no matter how much I psyche myself up to jog outside I just can't, I'm too self-conscious and anyway there's no pavement and it's a busy area and just nope. So I'm gonna have to go to gym, which is fine, I just need to schedule it in before work on the days I do BWW as well. 

Other than my lack of getting out the house to jog this morning, I did wake up early and I've eaten exceptionally well today, and I just encountered the most beautiful man but had to run away cos socially-inept dork, but it has given me some added motivation to work harder at this.  ;)

Run - nope

BWW - nada

Water - 5 plus a big pot of Chinese red tea, but will get in another 3 before the end of my shift.

I've heard that running on non-pavement is actually better. Now, I don't know if that's true or not since I refuse to run. But all my friends who do say they prefer trails over pavement. But each their own.

Good job on the water today!

Wow, that's a lot of upcoming awesomeness in just one week! I'm very jealous of the hike! I wish there were mountains like Mt.Kenya somewhere close me too.

You should have a goal to run outside. It's so great. Plus no one is paying attention to you. Everyone is too self involved to care.

What Bats said. And when they see you running they will only feel a sense of awe, followed by that small little sting telling them they should be going out for a run themselves.

• Like 3

Your goals look really good. We don't believe in firey explosions, we believe in recovery - and hey, here you are!! It's all good. We're so glad to have you here in Scouts!!

• Like 1

Other than my lack of getting out the house to jog this morning, I did wake up early and I've eaten exceptionally well today, and I just encountered the most beautiful man but had to run away cos socially-inept dork, but it has given me some added motivation to work harder at this.  ;)

I am too familiar with this problem (yay for socially-inept dorks!), but hey, at least it's great motivation! I'll admit I sometimes have days when I use attractive people as motivation to work harder. ;)

You should have a goal to run outside. It's so great. Plus no one is paying attention to you. Everyone is too self involved to care.

I will definitely keep going on my weekly Sunday forest run, but I might have to work up to running on the road, it's a busy area where I live and the road is full of potholes and there's a lot of other people walking on it trying to dodge cars and bikes so...it's kinda an excuse but also a fairly valid reason, can't climb Mt Kenya with a broken limb...but maybe in a week or 2 when I'm a little more comfortable with my running I'll give it a go.

Last night ended up another one of those random crazy nights where EVERYONE wanted to come for dinner, and so there was much running around trying to wine and dine all of Nairobi. It was actually great, made me remember why I do love parts of this job, the adrenaline and team work and interacting with people is kinda fun and awesome. 

Today I packed my gym stuff, but as my break approached I felt so sleepy and lazy and was contemplating going home and reading my book instead, but then I remembered I had you guys on here waiting for a positive update, so I stopped thinking and went to gym. And as soon I walked in the door I felt better.  :)

BWW2A

Knee pushups 10/10/7

Squats 10/20/15

Incline inverted row 10/10/10

Step ups 20/20/20

Plank (s) 20/20/20

Jump rope (s) 30/30/30

oh.my.god was I weak! Combination of not having eaten much in last few days and a month of no exercise took its toll, but I did it. Now to eat more (good stuff only) and keep at it!

I also did 15 mins jogging on the treadmill, and 5 mins walking, which got me to 2km. hmmmm. I started to panic and think I'll never be able to do 10 WHOLE KILOMETRES and I should just give up but then I stopped over-analysing. This is only day 1, if I keep up with the training everyday I will improve, and if by 15 October, when the submission for the race is due, I don't think I'll make 10km, then I'll sign up for the 5k. I will be able to do 5k by then. DON'T PANIC  ;) 

Week 1 stats:

Jog: 1/6

BWW: 1/3

Water: 5, will get in another 3 during the night shift.

• Like 4

Today I packed my gym stuff, but as my break approached I felt so sleepy and lazy and was contemplating going home and reading my book instead, but then I remembered I had you guys on here waiting for a positive update, so I stopped thinking and went to gym. And as soon I walked in the door I felt better.  :)

fbls.gif

• Like 2

Well done! :) Starting workouts after a long hiatus can be extra hard, but it's great to hear that you could find the inspiration from these forums!

thank, yes, just getting feet in the gym is the first step!

Good work so far! You should be so so proud that you even managed to go to the gym and stop thinking of reasons not to :)

:D

fbls.gif

OMG that kid! awesome!  :wub:

Today was a good day. I was going to go to gym before work, but could not wake up. I need to work on that. But it was fine, because I did get up in time to make breakfast smoothies and pack lunch and dinner and gym bag. And after a late afternoon meeting I was feeling ready to go work out!

I downloaded the Zombies 5K app onto my ipod last night (thanks for inspiration Bats!) so followed session 1 today. Walked on incline 5 for 10 minutes, might as well prep my legs for that ginormous mountain while I'm at it! Then did the run/walk on incline 2 and free-form jog for 10 mins. Because my ipod, while amazing, is just an ipod it doesn't track distance on the app, but I did 4kms total on the treadmill!! wooot! felt fantastic too, can't wait to get into more of a story. It does track (estimated) steps tho, so now that I know what 4km looks like I can compare.

Doms not too bad today, except my quads which always seem to be worst affected - hopefully the run and better stretching after will help tomorrow!

Week 1 update

Jog - 2/6

BWW - 1/3

Water - 5 so far.Got another on my desk now and will get in another 2 before shift-end/bed.

here's beautiful Mt Kenya for added inspiration:

mount_kenya_2008.jpg

• Like 3