• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TourdeForce

There and back again: TourdeForce preps for Mt Kenya

Yay for pushing yourself to get there (with dad's unknown guilt trip) and pushing yourself to new limits! Here's a dancing Dean for you :)

tumblr_mjdp11ZVzc1s7kce0o1_400.gif

Also, don't forget that taking a day or two to rest is also needed. Just listen to your body. You don't want to overdo it training and then not be able to hike Mt. Kenya because you've injured yourself.

1. I knew you guys would be so proud of me if I went

WW-Goddamn-Right.gif

ya, totally guilted into gym by my dad being more awesome than me!

Well, I'm guilted into running by my dad managing to go double the pace I can. :D

Really good work on the planks, and well done for stretching. I always recommend stretching, it can be so relaxing even while the muscles hurt.

all the stretching last night worked, I woke up still slightly stiff but nowhere near the agony of yesterday. So I went for a run in the morning before work, did 3.5km in 31 minutes. First 10 minutes I walked on incline 7, and then after the running drills I jogged at 7.5kph on incline 2, so it was a good workout! Did more excellent stretching then went to work. I don't love working out in the morning, it makes my day super-long and I'm extra tired at work, but I need to get some basics from the shops in the afternoon so had to be done.

Now hoping the rest of the night will fly by so I can get to bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Week 2:

Run: 4/6

BWW: 2/3

Water: on track - side bonus of this goal is that I need to get up every half-hour and walk up and down a flight of stairs to the bathroom!!

• Like 3

eeeeeek I just received our itinerary for Mt Kenya, it's starting to sink in now and I'm getting super excited and also very very nervous! I wish it would just be time already, but I know I desperately need these 5 weeks training!!

Quick breakdown:

1: afternoon hike, 3-4hrs, 9km - 680m ascent to 3300m

2: all-day hike, 6-7hrs, 14km - 900m ascent to 4200m

3: acclimitisation day - morning hike to 4700m then back to huts at 4200m for lunch and rest

4. SUMMIT DAY! - 2:30am start, hike 3-4hrs to Pt Lenana, 4985m, for sunrise, then descend back to 4200m for breakfast, before continuing all day to 2900m, descent         of 2085m!! holy cheese balls!

5. Short 10km hike to the gate, good possibility of game viewing if one's eyeballs haven't popped out of one's head ;-)

so ya, that's all happening. I think I will do the 8km forest route on Sunday, I need to wear in my hiking boots again, so will wear those, although I'm not sure I'll be able to run in them...hmmm...so many things to deal with!! Will attempt the running in hiking boots, but if that fails I will stick with the boots on my Sunday walks, and run the rest of the week.

Mt%20Kenya.jpg

• Like 3

That sounds like a good timetable! The hikes are totally doable, even with the ascending and descending. And remember it's easier to get down than up, so don't let the 2085m descent frighten you! :)

• Like 1

Just thought I'd stop by and say hey!

HEY

Look at you all jamming with the forest runs. My fav run too. I hope Mt. Kenya will realise how great a Rebel it has on its cliffside. I sometimes run in my low cut hiking boots. probably not the same as yours, but I just want to remind you to pay attention to how your footfall is doing while you're running. If nothing else, you'll probably like it. It makes me feel like a badass. lol Have a great time.

That sounds like a good timetable! The hikes are totally doable, even with the ascending and descending. And remember it's easier to get down than up, so don't let the 2085m descent frighten you! :)

Ha, you would think so, but it was the descent that killed my knees on Kilimanjaro, plus at times seems like endless trudging after the high of being on top of the mountain. But they say the route we're taking down has striking scenery, so I'm hoping that, and having to stop often for photos will help!

Amaaaaaazing goals! Photos please. :D

Wow it sounds so intense and awesome, bet it'll be amazing! :)

That will be such a great adventure. Take photos!!

Yay will be taking LOADS of photos, promise to post them when I'm back down!  :D

Just thought I'd stop by and say hey!

HEY

Look at you all jamming with the forest runs. My fav run too. I hope Mt. Kenya will realise how great a Rebel it has on its cliffside. I sometimes run in my low cut hiking boots. probably not the same as yours, but I just want to remind you to pay attention to how your footfall is doing while you're running. If nothing else, you'll probably like it. It makes me feel like a badass. lol Have a great time.

HEY! Cool, will give the running-in-hiking-boots a go, and focus on footfall...probably good to get used to the heavier boots anyway! Thanks!!

• Like 2

Yesterday was a total NOPE day. It started out well enough, I woke up before my alarm, got my food and gym bag packed, had a delicious breakfast of eggs and spinach and onions. But then work was just a nightmare of niggly little annoying things, including unwanted attentions that had to be shut down and the powers-that-be deciding to change a whole bunch of things that resulted in me having to redo the winelist I had just finished! So by mid-afternoon I was totally drained of the willpower to go to gym, or refuse a slice of cake in the office. I didn't keep track of water and moped around feeling very sorry for myself. However when I finally went home I did have enough reserves to avoid ordering pizza and red wine, and instead had some tea and read my book. 

But, never 2 days in a row, so this morning I got up early and went straight to gym. I think I only really woke up when I was on the treadmill, gotta love tricking sleepy brains!  ;)

So I did my Zombies 5k training and did 5k in 44 mins again. I'm just really impressed that I now run 5kms on a Saturday morning. That.Is.Awesome.

After gym I went to the shops and then did some cooking for next week, tomorrow I've been invited for lunch with some people, so planning to do forest run/walk in the morning, which means I doubt I'll have much time left for cooking tomorrow evening. Tomorrow's food will likely involve bad choices and lots of wine, but since it is an actual social occasion with actual people I like, I'm not even thinking about it. 

Week 2

Run: 5/6

Water: better today, 6 so far, but also lots of Chinese lychee red tea. yum.

• Like 2

Yesterday I did the BIG walk - my knee was feeling a bit iffy so I decided to skip the 5k training and just walk the 10k. I was all set; water, apple, Hitchhiker's Guide original radio broadcasts on the iPad. But I didn't think to take a larger photo of the trail map, and there were quite a few places where the path was a little unclear...for the most part I trusted my instincts and would soon be rewarded with another blue flag on the path, but it was touch-and-go at times. It was a great hike, twisting up and down across the river in a little valley, so lots of hill-practice. I bumped into a guy and his son on bikes a couple of times, although we were both supposedly following the same route, one of us was going in circles, so at one point was starting to worry if I'd ever get out of there alive! But I did. I have to say I think the route was longer than 10 kms, but will track it on my gps next week and maybe get a closer understanding. I finished in 2 hours, and included cutting a little chunk off as it was starting to get late and I had a lunch do to attend!

Great practice for Mt Kenya, and my boots didn't give me too much of a problem, only a small blister on my toes, but I put that down to 2 pairs of socks rather than the shoes.

Lunch was AWESOME, so great to chat to like-minded people and enjoy REALLY good wine and food, and then I think I drank about 2 litres of water before going to bed! Had to get up a few times in the night but at least I woke up feeling ok.

My knee is feeling extra tender today tho, I'm not sure if its from all the running, or whether it just took a knock when I fell on it last week. Decided to have a rest day as I definitely don't want to push it right now. Will see how I feel tomorrow...

Week 2 Wrap-UP:

Run/Walk: 6/6 

Water: 80%

All in all an excellent week, got to try keep in up 2 weeks in a row!

• Like 4

Sounds like an awesome hike! Even if you may have gone in a few circles. And only having one small blister? Impressive. I'm not sure if you have them, or if it's an American thing, but I love Band Aid brand Blister band aids. They have helped my toes and balls of my feet so many times when I've gotten painful blisters. They form a nice soft cushion and speed up the healing.

I hope the knee feels better soon. Maybe some ice or a hot compress will help it along. Do you have something you can wrap it with when you run or do your hikes? A little extra support may help there.

My knee is feeling extra tender today tho, I'm not sure if its from all the running, or whether it just took a knock when I fell on it last week. Decided to have a rest day as I definitely don't want to push it right now. Will see how I feel tomorrow...

Definitely a good idea. Knee injuries and strains can be absolutely horrible, so it's good to be extra careful!

Awesome work with the hiking, by the way! It must've been a nice experience (well except for the am-I-lost-or-not-feeling). :) And you certainly nailed your week 2!

meeeeeh week 3 has not been so good  :( My knee is still a bit sore - not muscle-sore but hinge-sore, so I haven't been doing anything except the walking to and from work and at work itself. Tomorrow I will try go to gym and do BWW, but maybe skip the lunges and see if the trainers can recommend some other exercises that strengthen knee muscles without putting pressure on knee joints...

It's also made me realise that my knees are pretty dodgy and I probably shouldn't be trying to run 10k a week before Mt Kenya, the mountain is WAY more important (and especially as I'm still quite a bit overweight).. So will see how things go, will probably still do the 5k though, it's a family fun-run so nobody will mind if I walk it.

Otherwise I had some incredible stressful news on Monday night, as well as a couple of VERY annoying days at work, so I haven't really been good about my eating. I'm also hormonal and therefore Hulk-like all of the time. It's good to notice how these things affect my decisions when it comes to food, even if I don't necessarily do anything about it. Yesterday I was desperate to go get a huge portion of fries, but I managed to convince myself not to. So small wins....