There and back again: TourdeForce preps for Mt Kenya

TourdeForce

I'm an Arsenal girl, lived in North London for a year with a good friend who supported them and he introduced me to the wonderful pleasures of football in general and in particular the exquisite agony of being an Arsenal supporter  ;) You? 

I SUPPORT ARSENAL TOO! I studied abroad in London for 3 months during college and the University I went to (London University) was merely a couple blocks away from the stadium. So through osmosis I became a Gunners fan. And yes, it is a hardship... so frustrating some times but I cannot help but root for them.

• Like 1

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

Yesterday I was desperate to go get a huge portion of fries, but I managed to convince myself not to. So small wins....

Small wins are big wins in the long run, so good for you! :) Hope your knee feels better in time for Mt. Kenya!!

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

I SUPPORT ARSENAL TOO! I studied abroad in London for 3 months during college and the University I went to (London University) was merely a couple blocks away from the stadium. So through osmosis I became a Gunners fan. And yes, it is a hardship... so frustrating some times but I cannot help but root for them.

WHOOP! Nerdfitness Gunners Unite! 

You two would probably get along well with my mother. She's a big Arsenal fan too. :D She didn't manage to transfer that to my sister and me, though, as we both turned into Liverpool fans. I blame Sami Hyypiä for that.

So sorry about your knee. :/ Asking the trainers sounds like a good idea, they should know what to recommend, after all.

It's also made me realise that my knees are pretty dodgy and I probably shouldn't be trying to run 10k a week before Mt Kenya, the mountain is WAY more important (and especially as I'm still quite a bit overweight).. So will see how things go, will probably still do the 5k though, it's a family fun-run so nobody will mind if I walk it.

Good prioritizing! Walking a 5k can be just as fun, especially if it's a family fun thing. :)

Level 4 Half-Elf Assassin

(that dabbles with the scouts)

Tumblr | Blog | Epic quest

"There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect; that's what makes it so beautiful."

Glad to hear about your small win with the fries. I am sorry to hear about your knee and having a rough few days. Maybe you should talk to an orthopedist or physical therapist? It might be something as simple as needing to stretch certain ligaments more consistently, or it might be something more serious. I hope it heals soon!

gah, ok week 3 update: nope, nada, zero

knees were not cooperative AT ALL, but I did get some braces and have been wearing them at work and I think the worst is over. I did have to laugh when I went to the pharmacy to get the knee braces and found them on the bottom shelf, requiring me to bend my creaky knees to get some. not smart people!

Also made a crapton of bone broth so will have lots this week, and maybe that will help get some collagen into the knee caps.

Anyway, so had to take a bit of a week off, BUT I'm feeling much better today. I will go to gym in the morning and do BWW and try do some knee-strengthening exercises as well.

And try catch up with everyone on here - 

level 2 Hobbit. Assassin-in-training

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge: There and back again

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

I did have to laugh when I went to the pharmacy to get the knee braces and found them on the bottom shelf, requiring me to bend my creaky knees to get some. not smart people!

I hate when they do that!

Glad that you think the worst is over and that the braces are helping. But it's better to take a week off and heal than push through and injure yourself more.

• Like 2

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

I hate when they do that!

Glad that you think the worst is over and that the braces are helping. But it's better to take a week off and heal than push through and injure yourself more.

^^^ Agreed! Taking care of yourself is priority #1 always, and I'm glad to see that you're doing that! Here's to hoping that your knees don't give you more problems!

• Like 1

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Sorry to hear about the knee issues. I am glad that the braces seem to be helping. You may want to ask a PT about those strengthening exercises and some stretches to help.

You can learn to cope with this. :)

aaaargh, so right when I was back on track I managed to give myself food poisoning. This is not something I would wish on my worst enemy...I think it was probably a lack of keeping track of how long the eggs had been in the fridge, and also how they were soft-boiled. Anyway, I spent part of the day at the local clinic in a freezing room with an IV drip after the nurse kept poking holes into my hands as she couldn't find a vein, and then thankfully they let me go home to sleep off the rest of it in my warm bed. That was Wednesday, and today I am mostly back to normal, although I have avoided eating too much besides fruit and yoghurt. I swear the amount of things I have experienced in this one year, both good and bad, is extraordinary. And this is before I've even got to climbing the mountain or going to the Maasai Mara!

Anyway, so another thing to tick off the "life-lived" list in my head.

I will try for a quick forest walk/run tomorrow, but will definitely go for a long one on Sunday. I'm having a small farewell party tomorrow, so I'll likely be a little hungover, but I desperately need to walk so will go anyway. Probably do me the world of good.

This challenge is threatening to be derailed again but I will not let it! 

On the plus side I have drunk gallons of water since Wednesday...

• Like 1

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

Food poisoning sucks, ugh, sorry you had to go through that!

But yay for tons of water and planning for going on the walk. Small steps towards getting back on track :)

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

I got my food poisoning in the Philippines back in '87. It was horrible. And, get this. It was from on base, not out in town where they always warn you to be extra careful of eating. Really?! Man that was painful and exhausting. I'm glad you got some IV help, eventually!

Good water intake, nicely played.

Enjoy the weekend.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

I hope you are fully recovered from the food poisoning soon! That is an unpleasant experience, to put it mildly.

Have fun at the party!

Yikes food poisoning! That's rough, I'm glad you're drinking lots of water and feeling mostly better. Take care of yourself  :positive: Way to go not giving up!

Food poisoning sucks, ugh, sorry you had to go through that!

But yay for tons of water and planning for going on the walk. Small steps towards getting back on track :)

Oh no! D: I hope you're much better already! Water is the best in these kind of situations.

I got my food poisoning in the Philippines back in '87. It was horrible. And, get this. It was from on base, not out in town where they always warn you to be extra careful of eating. Really?! Man that was painful and exhausting. I'm glad you got some IV help, eventually!

Good water intake, nicely played.

Enjoy the weekend.

I hope you are fully recovered from the food poisoning soon! That is an unpleasant experience, to put it mildly.

Have fun at the party!

Thank you all!!! The food poisoning has abated, leaving only large bruises on my hands where the nurse poked me with many injections...more war wounds.

The party was pretty fun, not too much drinking and lots of dancing, which was pretty brave of me. It was a very late night   early morning, so I slept in til almost noon on Sunday! But then I got up, and it was hot and sunny, and before I even thought about it I put my swimsuit on and dived into the pool to clear my head. Divine! Then called the taxi and went for my walk in the forest! Whoop! I made sure I had plenty of water to rehydrate myself. Think I shaved about 3 minutes off my previous hike, did the 10k in 1:54. Also finished the first series of the Hitchhiker's Guide radio program, really does make the walking enjoyable when you're laughing out loud at Douglas Adams' brilliance.

I wore braces on both my knees and they seem to be ok this week, so that's good. I haven't been back to gym, but will go tomorrow and do a bodyweight workout.

I also made a new friend and we're hopefully going to go for a hike in the Ngong Hills this weekend, which will be different from the forest, plus company. Then just 2 weeks to go....eeeeeek!

• Like 5

Previous Challenges 1 2

Wow- life got lots better after your recovery. Awesome!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines