Fultonator's Road to Recovery

fultonator

As you've guessed from the title of this challenge, I have some recovering to do. A little bit of physical recovery (I've finally got some orthotics for an old ankle injury), but mostly I'm dealing with emotional recovery.

My dad passed away suddenly on September 1st, and my mind is still reeling. Now that the shock has begun to wear off, I need to start recovering. During this difficult time, I've lost my appetite and have been skipping many meals and not taking care of myself. I'll also frequently forget to take my vitamins (something that helps combat my depression and fatigue). I've also lost the motivation to do most things I enjoy: I have skipped numerous swing dancing opportunities, concerts (there was a festival in town), and invitations from friends.

This challenge is about re-learning how to take care of myself, and hopefully start slowly recovering. My dad's passing was related to his obesity (and his reluctance to see a doctor), so I am committed to this challenge with that in mind.

Starting Stats

- will post soon

Weight: 

Chest: 

Waist: 

Hips: 

Main Quest

To feel like myself again. 

Specific goals

1) Physical activity -  I've been struggling to get out of the house. I will strive to do 20 minutes of activity every day, even if it is only a quick walk. 

+ 1 STA, + 1 STR, +1 DEX

2) Ankle exercises- The podiatrist has given me ankle exercises to do twice each day, which I have been neglecting.

+ 4 STR

3) Vitamins - I've been on B12 vitamins for a while, which help combat fatigue and depression. I need to take these every morning.

+ 3 STA

Grading Scheme 

1) Physical activity

A = Was active 42 days  

B = 32 days                                             

C = 21 days                                             

D = 10 days                                           

F = fewer than 10 days                                     

2) Ankle exercises

A = Ankle exercises 2X day, every day (84 sessions)

B = 63 sessions

C = 42 sessions

D = 21 sessions

F = 20 sessions or fewer

3) Vitamins

A = Took every day (42 days)

B = 32 days                                             

C = 21 days                                             

D = 10 days                                           

F = fewer than 10 days   

---

"I want her to be a flapper, because flappers are brave and gay and beautiful." - Zelda Fitzgerald

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

Sorry for your loss.  Some mourning period is to be expected, but having seen one of my good friends struggle to get over a loss of a family member I implore you to ask for help if you think you need any.  

I am excited though to see you are here and motivated and I'll be watching.

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

Sorry for your loss.  Some mourning period is to be expected, but having seen one of my good friends struggle to get over a loss of a family member I implore you to ask for help if you think you need any.  

I am excited though to see you are here and motivated and I'll be watching.

Thank you so much jaex. It has been difficult to say the least. I am fortunately surrounded by family and supported by my husband. I have been to counselling in the past and will not hesitate to go again if I feel the need.

I hope that this challenge will re-focus a bit of my energy away from sadness and toward meaningful activities and taking care of my own health.

• Like 1

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

So sorry to hear about your loss. It can be hard when someone you love dies to find any motivation to do things. It's good that you're making a first step.

As a fellow swing dancer with depression I know what it's like to miss out on that just because there is no will or motivation to go. I don't think I've gone dancing in a year or so and it used to be at least twice a month. Best of luck to you in your battle.

Goal weight: 135 lbs (61.2 kg), Starting weight: 200 lbs (90.7 kg)

Current Weight: 196.6 lbs (89.2 kg)

5.2%
5.2%

Battle Log | Challenge

The chronicles of my journey through mental illness.

The Stories Not Told

Break the silence. Fight the stigmas. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Level 2 Half-Elf

|STR| 4 |DEX| |STA| |CON| |WIS| |CHA| 5

Day 1 Report:

Physical Activity - My husband and I teach a beginner swing class on Monday nights (1 hour, although we don't do a whole lot of dancing as teachers). After class we had a 30 minute social dance, then we stayed for a 1 hour intermediate class.

1/42

Ankle exercises - Only did it once... Can't do the second session now (need steps and my place doesn't have stairs). 

1/84

Vitamins - Yes

1/42

• Like 1

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Day 2 Report:

Physical Activity - Nada tonight... Too much running around for work and got home just now (9:30) so I think I'll skip for tonight and go straight to bed. I am still dealing with quite a bit of fatigue.

1/42

Ankle exercises - Only did it once. I do it every morning but I keep forgetting evening before I get home. I'll have to come up with a system to remind me...

2/84

Vitamins - Yes

2/42

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Ankle exercises - Only did it once. I do it every morning but I keep forgetting evening before I get home. I'll have to come up with a system to remind me...

2/84

Maybe put a note somewhere like the fridge door or a nightstand?

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

I'm so sorry for your loss. My dad passed away a few years ago, and I realize in retrospect that I used it as an excuse for a while to not take care of myself--fortunately, my then-boyfriend-now-husband put a lot of effort into supporting me and getting my butt in gear, as well as building a solid support network for future similar situations. It sounds like you're already doing a lot of that yourself and using your various support systems, and I really admire that. Your goals seem perfect to take care of yourself physically and emotionally, and you've had a solid start. Keep it up, and hugs!

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 6 | CON 8 | WIS 10 | CHA 5

current challenge

third challenge | second challenge | first challenge

Better late than never...

Day 3 Report:

Physical Activity - I'm counting the carpentry work I did... 3 hours of measuring and cutting wood tired me out quite a bit.

2/42

Ankle exercises - Yes

4/84

Vitamins - Yes

3/42

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Day 4 Report:

Physical Activity - more carpentry

3/42

Ankle exercises - Yes

6/84

Vitamins - Yes

4/42

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

horribly long day today (8 to 10)

Day 5 Report:

Physical Activity - minimal... (moved boxes)

4/42

Ankle exercises - forgot

6/84

Vitamins - Yes

5/42

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Sorry for your loss.

I have the same problem- I put an alarm on my phone twice a day so I can remember. I still sometimes get distracted but it's worked so far.

Good luck this challenge and heal up- body and spirit.

Skipped day 6.  Wasn't feeling it.

Day 7 Report:

Physical Activity - Yes - worked all day on my feet. A far cry for my normal office work.

5/42

Ankle exercises - yes, morning and evening

8/84

Vitamins - Yes

6/42

• Like 1

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Day 8 Report:

Physical Activity - Swing dance night

6/42

Ankle exercises - yes, morning and evening

10/84

Vitamins - Yes

7/42

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines