• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron Hits Where it Hurts

Hips allllll day yesterday. Well, except during the presses and rows. :P

Also made a tasty dinner of cabbage + chicken stir fry with peanut sauce and lots of fresh cilantro and lemon basil.

• Like 2

No scheduled workout yesterday. It was a really pretty day and I needed to do some errands post-work, so I walked most of the way home and did my errands on the way -- approximately 3 mile walk. Seriously gorgeous early evening weather for a nice walk! 

Made a small batch of tomatillo salsa and mixed it up with shredded chicken for dinner. Ate it with rice mixed up with sauteed peppers and onion (not as pretty as yesterday's dinner but sooo tasty):

521b52c9b179c6a0c2cc8dc1a93a5205.png

Also if you are unfamiliar with my vegetable mountains, this is what we got on Tuesday:

36cddbd39d2f52ca5126c32eb9d57b8c.png

Hips: 1/1

Lungs: 1/1

Gut: 2/3 

Mind: Becoming more intimately acquainted with the city through walking always helps me relax, gives me a better mental map of the city, lets me chat with others during my walk, and helps me find shops, bars, and other places I might not find without these walks. Walking improves my life. :)

Gymnastics tonight. It'll be my big ol' process-focused workout of three of everything (3oE) followed by some hip conditioning and a meeting for gym staff members, so I think it will be a late night for me. 

• Like 2

Good job! You got an A!

Man, I want your food!!!

I definitely have enough to share! Well, the veggies at least. I tend to bogart the proteins a little bit. ;)

3oE was again limited to floor and balance beam this time around. The gym was really busy, which meant I couldn't get through my skills as quickly as I would have liked, and that uneven bars got left by the wayside again. I definitely wanted to go work on bars, but by the time I finished up beam, there were only ten minutes left and I had conditioning and hypersplits to do still. One nice thing from the day: back handsprings on the low beam (with mats on the sides -- let's not be TOO hasty) are starting to feel way more solid and far, far less scary. I'm still having an issue with getting both hands consistently and firmly on the balance beam, but more practice and perhaps a bit more shoulder flexibility work (hah) could help. 

The meeting after practice went on way longer than I was expecting and it was so blah to get home as late as I did. Totally had room in my macros for a fried chicken breast when I did get home though, so that happened and was amazing. <3

Hips: 2/2

Lungs: 1/1

Gut: 3/4

Mind: Focusing on the process on Thursday was a bit of a struggle with so many people milling around, but I still think it was a good choice and I think there will continue to be improvement in my weaker skills following this model.

• Like 1

That's part of the improvement too -- when I was first moving them to the low beam, the shock of impact on my hands made my shoulders/elbows collapse a bit and gave me that horrible upper back clench sensation. Now my standing handsprings are just a lot smoother and the impact is far, far less shocking than it was before. Yay, practice! ;)

Mind: Becoming more intimately acquainted with the city through walking always helps me relax, gives me a better mental map of the city, lets me chat with others during my walk, and helps me find shops, bars, and other places I might not find without these walks. Walking improves my life. :)

I really need to get out and wander the city more.  I know my neck of the woods decently, but plodding through Somerville/Cambridge/Boston would provide me a lot more interesting stories, I think.

Hey food lady--

I bought some boneless chicken thighs at the grocery store since they were on craaaaazy sale. They are now sitting in my freezer and I realized I've never cooked chicken thighs before. heh. Any awesome suggestions?

Yea I have admiration for your bravery! And damn isn't going by macros nice? Can eat anything you want. Fried chicken <3

Sooo nice.

Hey food lady--

I bought some boneless chicken thighs at the grocery store since they were on craaaaazy sale. They are now sitting in my freezer and I realized I've never cooked chicken thighs before. heh. Any awesome suggestions?

Are they skinless or skin-on? If they've got skin, the most delicious thing you can do is roast them in the oven at 425 degrees or so for 20-30 minutes until they're all crispy and delicious. If it's skinless, I like to marinade them (my go-to marinade is soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, chopped onion, and a bit of sesame oil -- but you can do whatever you like best) overnight and then broil them for 8-10 minutes on each side. 

If that does not appeal these are some good standbys too:

http://tamingofthespoon.com/moroccan-chicken/

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/07/chicken-adobo/

Warm-up row 500 meters in 2:02.

Bench

5 x 45

5 x 55

3 x 65

5 x 70

5 x 80

7 x 90

Bodyweight rows: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Push-ups: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Hip conditioning goodies: kneeling side leg lifts, kneeling side leg lift circles, seated straddle leg lifts, L-sits on a bench, straddle holds on a bench

"Cool-down" row 500m in 2:14

Food is a bit low but I am not actually hungry and protein is nailed, so whatever. There's a party tomorrow anyway, so maybe I'll need a bit of wiggle room.

Hips: 3/3

Lungs: 2/2

Gut: 4/5

Mind: I get grumpy about my bench and overhead press numbers sometimes. They haven't gone very far in the year I've dabbled in lifting, so sometimes I start to huff and puff at myself for failing in the upper body area. Then I remember that I purposely neglected them or left them off, skirted out of upper body conditioning fairly often, and that now I am following a program that should help and has built-in bodyweight conditioning. Progress will happen. 

• Like 2

Are they skinless or skin-on? If they've got skin, the most delicious thing you can do is roast them in the oven at 425 degrees or so for 20-30 minutes until they're all crispy and delicious. If it's skinless, I like to marinade them (my go-to marinade is soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, chopped onion, and a bit of sesame oil -- but you can do whatever you like best) overnight and then broil them for 8-10 minutes on each side. 

If that does not appeal these are some good standbys too:

http://tamingofthespoon.com/moroccan-chicken/

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/07/chicken-adobo/

Skinless. Thanks a bunch!

Hehe, good talking to you gave yourself about bench progress. I'd also like to point out that the bench press is actually the most technique dependent of the powerlifting bunch, which might be a factor.

Skinless. Thanks a bunch!

Hope you find a way to enjoy them :)

Hehe, good talking to you gave yourself about bench progress. I'd also like to point out that the bench press is actually the most technique dependent of the powerlifting bunch, which might be a factor.

I've heard that before and definitely have some technique issues that I should get fixed. I'll keep that in mind as well!

Good morning at gymnastics. It was also National Gymnastics Day, so our practice was a rec team Open House and later in the day, the other gym sessions were open as well, so we got to meet some new people and some parties potentially interested in joining the team, which is nice. Lots and lots and lots of tumbling, followed by some time on uneven bars to make up for the miss on Thursday. Successfully strung together some kip-cast-kips, but still couldn't quite keep my feet off the ground on the second kip. My abs are straight up toooorn apart as a result. Thanks, uneven bars! 

Went apple picking and to a birthday party later where I was actually pretty good and only went over for the day within 200 cal, so still on target on my points system

Obviously, had to attempt to take some nice handstand selfie pictures for National Gymnastics Day as well:

Hips: 3/4 <-- didn't have time to add in my hip conditioning post-practice because I was getting picked up by a friend for apple picking right after.

Lungs: 2/2

Gut: 5/6

Mind: Practices where I actually notice improvements in my skills (kips today) that I haven't been working in a while are such a great reminder that skill repetition isn't the only way to improve.

Sunday, sunday, sundayyyy.

Warm-up row 500m @ 2:03

Squat:

5 x 45#

5 x 85#

5 x 100#

5 x 120#

5 x 135#

5 x 160#

9 x 170#

Pistols: 7, 7, 7, 7

Glute bridges with 50# sandbag: 15, 15, 15, 15

Cooldown row 500m @ 2:02 (oooh, fancy~)

Post workout slog jog for 1 mile in 10:15.

Hips: 4/5

Lungs: 4/4

Gut: 6/7 (~150ish over today as well, but still within what I set out)

Mind:

tumblr_inline_mzkqym4U3l1rwvlf4.gif

• Like 2

It's surprisingly hard to convey the fact that it is a handstand and not just a weird picture of your face. Obviously, I need to get good enough at one-armed handstands that I can just hold the camera out in front of me instead of under me, hehe.

Week 1 Summary

Weak Spot #1: Hip conditioning after each workout --  4/5

*Missed one hip conditioning session, though technically it was right after 20 minutes on uneven bars, which is really one whole lesson in hip workouts, but still doesn't count.

Weak Spot #2: Row 500m before and after each gym workout + run 1 mile -- 4/4

*Similar to the hip conditioning, it is really easy to just tack on extra things to my current workout regimen, so this goal worked very well. I'd like to try to keep my runs on Saturdays or Wednesday instead of right after a weightlifting workout. I did manage my slogging after squat day yesterday, so it's possible if not preferable. 

Weak Spot #3: 200 calories within goal each day and within 500 calories of weekly goal -- 6/7 + PASS

*Still can't find my tape measure so there will be no 0 week measurements, unfortunately. Next week, I'll still do 2 week, but it won't be easy to compare to anything other than the previous measurements from late July/early August.

Weak Spot #4: Daily reflection on the process of improvement and 1 gymnastics workout focused on process -- 7/7 + 1/1

*Feels a bit contrived, but I think it's been helping. Process, process, process. 

22/24 = 91.66%

• Like 1

Overachiever. :tongue:

Hah!

Oh, I dunno.

91% is an A-. Looks like there's room for improvement to me. ;)

Nice job on week 1, raptron!

DOUBLE HAH!

Definitely room to go full points like our role model challenge-finisher here. ;)

Those selfies are awesome.  

I'm going to be working in handstand training - just because.

YES. You should. Then when you get good, we can do handstand obstacle courses together, which are clearly superior to ones on your feet:

Yay handstand selfies! You should obviously get one-handed down. Or, I guess, have Mr. Tron take a photo.

I mean, they ARE one-handed, just not a very easy or clear one-handed. And it loses selfie factor if he gets involved, so we can't have that!

I just stumbled upon this really, really amazing blog on gymnastics prehab work of all sorts that really delves into the mechanisms of body movements and the root causes of problems with mobility and different skills: http://www.hybridperspective.com/

Going to add in these to my hip/butt work compendium http://www.hybridperspective.com/2014/08/18/reach-roll-lift-drills-for-the-hip/

• Like 1