• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron Hits Where it Hurts

Still going strong! Your training is really great.. but I must admit half my mind stayed on the mention of gilmore girls on netflix (MUST REWATCH IT ALL!!) and then the waffles... MUST GET WAFFLE MAKER. Omg. What have you done to me? xD

/me steals the protein pumpkin waffle recipe

Looking good bouncytron

No need to steal, I will gladly share! I am somewhat against using just eggwhites in things, but 6 cartons at Costco was practically noting and I couldn't resist. It makes the macros of things so much easier on my budget and if you whip them up nicely, they're soooo fluffy fantastic.

Still going strong! Your training is really great.. but I must admit half my mind stayed on the mention of gilmore girls on netflix (MUST REWATCH IT ALL!!) and then the waffles... MUST GET WAFFLE MAKER. Omg. What have you done to me? xD

Soooo... you mean you picked out the two most important things? Gilmore Girls and protein waffles have been MY LIFE since Thursday. 

that waffle looks phenomenal

when you open your restaurant save me a table!

What he said.

Shit, I'd even fly over :D

Hah! You goobers. 

Day 4.1

I had a movement play day yesterday at gymnastics practice. I wasn't feeling particularly energetic and a friend of mine finally returned after a couple weeks of not seeing him at the gym. I did get in a good amount of front tumbling, but after that, it was playing with jumps and leaps, trying to learn front aerials, standing front tucks, standing back tucks, and attempts at standing arabians onto a mat (hahaha, so hard to get over the mental block of JUMP then TWIST rather than trying to jump-twist at the same time):

tumblr_mhzwb39RAR1rfh5aho1_500.gif

Most of these things are completely irrelevant to my competition skills, but they were fun to work on.

Unfortunately, I did land a front aerial onto the mat with my back leg a bit too bent and my front leg far, far too straight, so my front leg smacked the mat hyperextended and I had a bit of knee tenderness after that. It mostly went away and I worked on other skills, but the front of my knee feels tight this morning, especially walking up stairs. Luckily this week is a deload week on my lifting program, so that at least shouldn't aggravate it much.

I'm hoping it feels closer to 100% by Thursday so I can get a really good workout in before the madness that is this weekend -- houseguests, marching band music festival in my city, Oktoberfest shenanigans, hot tub drinking...

Hips: 1/1

Lungs: --

Gut: 1/1

Mind: I periodically feel like I need to give myself permission to work on fun skills instead of skills that would benefit/improve my competition routines. I didn't get back into gymnastics to compete, I got back into gymnastics to have fun and do exciting things with my body -- competition just happened to fall in my lap because of the nature of the program I found. While I do enjoy competitions and want to perform well in them, they're not the driver for my love of the sport. Always good to remind myself of that. 

• Like 3

I have to admit I'm getting waffle cravings too. I saw a recipe for latke waffles the other day - how awesome doesn't that sound?

• Like 1

Can you do a standing arabian now? You said you landed, so? oO that is so wickedly awesome. 

Sorry about the bad landing though, fingers crossed the knee feels back to normal by the time thursday rolls around. Sounds like you've got a really epic weekend to enjoy!

Soooo... you mean you picked out the two most important things? Gilmore Girls and protein waffles have been MY LIFE since Thursday. . 

Hahaha! 

Week 3 Summary

Weak Spot #1: Hip conditioning after each workout --  6/6

*Six workouts, six sets of hip conditioning. 

Weak Spot #2: Row 500m before and after each gym workout + run 1 mile -- 3.5/4

*Ugh, half a mile is half a point. I need to STOP leaving this for Sunday.

Weak Spot #3: 200 calories within goal each day and within 500 calories of weekly goal -- 5/7 + PASS

*Failed two days on this because of catering at work and ordering out for dinner, which I guess is why I have been avoiding that almost completely all challenge. I squeezed out enough of a deficit the other days to meet my ~500 calorie flex range for the week though, so that's a plus at least.

Weak Spot #4: Daily reflection and 1 gymnastics workout focused on process -- 7/7 + 1/1

*The gymnastics workout on Saturday helped me make great strides towards finally re-achieving my layouts. Really pleased with how it went. 

22.5/25 = 90%

I'm so impressed with how you are rocking this challenge.  And I love your daily reflections.

Keep shake-shaking it!

anigif_enhanced-20556-1408399554-7.gif

I have to admit I'm getting waffle cravings too. I saw a recipe for latke waffles the other day - how awesome doesn't that sound?

That sounds amazing. There are a few blogs out there about trying to make everything in the wafflemaker. I have barely made anything interesting in there (that is, not just waffles) except I DID reheat two pizza slices facing each other and it made like a waffle-calzone... and that's probably one of the more snackwave-type things I've admitted to creating. 

Maybe when this cut is over I can experiment with waffle cookies! :)

Can you do a standing arabian now? You said you landed, so? oO that is so wickedly awesome. 

Sorry about the bad landing though, fingers crossed the knee feels back to normal by the time thursday rolls around. Sounds like you've got a really epic weekend to enjoy!

Hahaha! 

OH, no! I wish! I was landing front aerials:

large.gif

And not well, seeing as I hurt myself, hehe. For arabians, I was only able to manage to seat flip (any front flip where you land on your ass instead of your feet) and attempt dive rolls out of the jump. Seriously a tricky skill to wrap your mind around, but lots of fun to attempt. :D

I'm so impressed with how you are rocking this challenge.  And I love your daily reflections.

Keep shake-shaking it!

So shaking.

Welp I had quite a bit of catching up to do, but I did it! Good job so far this challenge! And I still have to meet the puuuuppy!

Yes, you dooooooooooo. 

Day 4.2

Things my stiff knee does not like: walking down stairs, straight-leg forward folds, running, and ROWING. No rowing allowed. This conflicts with my Lungs goal, unfortunately. Stationary cycling actually felt okay, so I biked 1.5 miles to warm-up and 2 miles for my cooldown. It's also a deload day, so seriously, nothing interesting to report on the workout front...

Three light sets of OHP

Three light sets of deadlifts

Stiff-legged 70# KB deadlift: 10, 10... no third set because they made my knee sad.

Chest dips (full ROM finally): 7, 7, 7

Neutral grip pull-ups: 2, 2, 2

Lying leg lifts: 25, 25, 25

Oblique/twisting leg lifts: 10, 10, 10 each side

Reverse lunges: 10, 10, 10

Banded squats (for knee wonk): 10, 10, 10

Random hip conditioning exercises: many

Burpees for challenge: 15

Because it's deload week, I'm trying to consume less because I'm doing less. We'll see how that goes. :|

Hips: 2/2

Lungs: 1/1 <-- not rowing, but counting it anyway as CARDIO endurance is the main focus of the goal

Gut: 2/2

Mind: Finding alternatives in the face of injury is preferable to avoiding work entirely. If there is something to substitute that contributes toward the same goal, it is certainly better than doing nothing. 

Honestly, the knee isn't bad but it is a joint that's given me issues before so I am babying it more than I otherwise would. Yesterday + today will be two days of mostly rest on it, so hopefully we'll be back in business tomorrow for practice.

• Like 2

Those waffles.... are pretty damned sexy.  In every way imaginable.  Must try that at some point. (Though they may be turned into pancakes, as there is a lack of a waffle iron in my apartment.)

Great Week 3!  You're gonna kill the Spartan!

It's a variable recipe as well. I made an apple cinnamon one (sub applesauce for pumpkin, add cinnamon) that was possibly better than the pumpkin. Also did a mexican chocolate version (add cayenee + cinnamon + 2 tbsp cocoa powder) which was good too. 

I wasn't kidding about my life being taken over by protein waffles and Gilmore Girls.

It's a variable recipe as well. I made an apple cinnamon one (sub applesauce for pumpkin, add cinnamon) that was possibly better than the pumpkin. Also did a mexican chocolate version (add cayenee + cinnamon + 2 tbsp cocoa powder) which was good too. 

I wasn't kidding about my life being taken over by protein waffles and Gilmore Girls.

I think you might be my new hero

Those sound so goood. and they make me really want the best waffles ever, Back Bakery. I apparently missed Philly cheese steak and apple cinnamon waffles from them.

Urgh, I miss waffles. There's a guy in uni that does smoked sausage wrapped in a waffle, and its AMAZING. Good jog adapting, keep the knee wrapped and get back to it!

I think you might be my new hero

Introducing the Waffle Warrior and her side kick Syruplad.

Those sound so goood. and they make me really want the best waffles ever, Back Bakery. I apparently missed Philly cheese steak and apple cinnamon waffles from them.

I still haven't had their waffles! Philly cheese steak, ughhh, want.

Urgh, I miss waffles. There's a guy in uni that does smoked sausage wrapped in a waffle, and its AMAZING. Good jog adapting, keep the knee wrapped and get back to it!

All on it. And get you some. Why not? They're deliciouuus.

At least I had Starbucks today. xD still no waffles tho :(

Good going working around the knee. Babying is good. Enjoy your deload!

Babying is good and seems to have paid off pretty well as most of the knee protests are gone for now. And ENJOY? DELOAD IS SO BORING I HATE IT AND I WANT TO LIFT HEAVIER THINGS WHY EVEN BOTHER GOING TO THE GYM... I mean, ahem. Yes. I'll enjoy it. ;)

Day 4.3

Wednesday was a rest and frantic clean-all-the-things-because-we-have-guests-coming-tomorrow session. I had hoped to get a couple yoga videos in before bed, but there was just no time amidst the cleaning, reorganizing, laundry, and cooking. Stupid adult stuff. Wednesday, I also was feeling annoyed about my cut progress, which feels like it has stalled the last two weeks, bouncing back and forth between the same 2 numbers on the scale for days and days. Instead of dealing with that like a rational person, I wound up eating a bunch of peanut butter and chocolate. Classy.

Hips: 2/2

Lungs: 1/1

Gut: 2/3

Mind: Keeping my thoughts directed toward process is a lot less rewarding when it feels like there is no PROGRESS. It's probably just a feels like rather than a complete stall on progress, and I need to stick with it. I seem to stick with my workout schedule and gymnastics even when it feels like I'm not progressing because I AM dedicated to process in those places -- I just need to carry the mindset over to other aspects of life as well. 

Day 4.4

Big tumble day. Big beam day. Lots and lots of skills practiced, hooray! Definite improvement in my tumbling even across the floor instead of on the diagonal. (It's a shorter distance, so you can't run as much -- most of my practice is across instead of diagonal because there are classes going during open gym as well and they've also got to use the floor.)

It's stupid, but my full turns on beam finally feel stable. It's absolutely astonishing that something like a turn on beam is more tricky to stick than any number of other things, but it's true -- gymnasts at ALL levels struggle horribly with beam turns. I also did a lot more back handspring work on low beam and they're starting to feel more consistent. No bars because I really do want my hands to heal enough not to rip immediately when I try to put some time on the UB on Saturday at practice. 

Also for kicks, I threw standing front tucks on floor at the end of practice. I actually landed feet first on all of them, but slipped to my butt. If I can manage to hold the tuck another .1 second longer, I think I'll have them. They're completely useless, but would be a fun party trick. :D

Hips: 3/3

Lungs: 1/1

Gut: 3/4

Mind: Went to gymnastics with a plan. Executed the plan. Feels good. :)

• Like 1

Keep shake-shaking it!

anigif_enhanced-20556-1408399554-7.gif

The reflections is probably my favorite part.

Love the gif, though.

Wish I could flip liek you, lass, I went to a place called Bounce yesterday which is basically an arena full of trampolines and crash mats. It was amazingly fun :P

IM really enjoying looking at your reflections - you should stick them all together so you can see how your thoughts progressed through the challenge!

All this waffle talk is really making me want waffles...LOL

But you're killing it, Raptron. Really loving watching you progress, even if I've been a bit quiet!

IM really enjoying looking at your reflections - you should stick them all together so you can see how your thoughts progressed through the challenge!

Ooh, this is a really good idea!

This = automatic win for the day.

Hah, I think so too.

The reflections is probably my favorite part.

Love the gif, though.

Wish I could flip liek you, lass, I went to a place called Bounce yesterday which is basically an arena full of trampolines and crash mats. It was amazingly fun :tongue:

Ooh, this is a really good idea!

I'm surprised they're interesting to others, but they've been helping me, certainly. I'll probably do that in my final challenge wrap-up. Good idea. :)

All this waffle talk is really making me want waffles...LOL

But you're killing it, Raptron. Really loving watching you progress, even if I've been a bit quiet!

Glad to see you back around again! 

Day 4.5

Bench deload. 500m row in 1:58 for warm-up. Blah blah bench bench light sets. Push-ups, burpees, turkish get-ups, hip conditioning, rows. 2:03 for the 500m cooldown row.

Went into Friday night feeling pretty great, gearing up for the fun weekend ahead and all the music festival festivities. Unfortunately, it didn't last. Our dog and cat introductions had not been going as well as we'd hoped they would, but we were still content with slowly moving the process forward as comfortably for both animals as we could. The behaviorist at the shelter we talked to seemed relatively confident that it would just take some time and held a lot of faith in the shelter's "cat test" they did, which I understand, is just letting a cat in the same room as the dog in the shelter and watching the dog for a reaction. 

But later that night, Ruckus slipped past me into an area of the house which had been consistently cat free, but I didn't realize the cat had jumped the gate and was hanging out in the bathroom. He saw the cat, sitting in the bathroom, and just WENT for him, all out. Full on lunge, growls, and chomps. There is nowhere to escape from the bathroom, so the cat was cornered against the tub. I ran in there and got him off the cat before the cat was too injured -- only a bunch of clumps of missing belly fur and a small bite wound. I wound up getting bit in the process of getting him off the cat as well. 

After talking with the behaviorists, friends with dogs, friends with dogs and cats, we determined it wasn't going to be feasible for us to keep the dog in the house with the cat. Being a renter in a small urban apartment, we can't keep a segregated house forever and the space limitation would not be fair to either animal. Plus, even when we take precautions, things like this could still happen. Our cat came first and we love him and it's just not fair to put him in danger in the house.

There are lot of ifs and maybes that I tried to explore and a lot of beating myself up, but we brought him back to the shelter yesterday, at the shelter's request. I had contacted a friend at a pitbull rescue, and a couple of others in the area, but they were all at capacity and had no other suggestions than the shelter from which we adopted Ruckus. We brought him back in yesterday.

Skipped gymnastics Saturday morning because of the hand wound, missed my gym workout yesterday because I napped through the gym's evening hours, and did not go for a run even though yesterday was possibly the most beautiful autumn day. Drank all day Saturday and ate all day Sunday. Two days of wallowing is quite enough, Raptron. I'm still incredibly broken up about this, but I'm not going to scrap my goals because of it.

Week 4 Summary

Hips: 4/4

Lungs: 2/4

Gut: 4/7 and NOT within 500 calories of weekly goal

Mind: 5/7

15/23 

65%

Oh, that's rough. I'm sorry. :( It sounds like you made the responsible decision, though.

Make sure the cat's bite wound really is a small one. Lots of times with dog bites, it's like an iceberg--looks like not much on the surface, but there can be some significant damage underneath.