Sara Kingdom's Minimalist Low-Attention Span Challenge

sarakingdom

I think this'll be a slightly more minimalist challenge than last time, just because I had a hard time mentally keeping all those plates in the air at the same time.  And also because I have so many life goals that they're overwhelming me, so a little Keep It Simple Stupid might be in order.

Basically, there's one thing I care about getting done in the next challenge: getting my strength training routine working.  This is partly a physical goal and partly a mental one, because forming routines is very tricky for me, so this is actually not a small thing.  

I may throw in some one-week life goal challenges just to keep things fresh and try to make a little headway on all the things on my plate right now.  But mostly as a way of freshening things up for my one main goal.  I'm thinking about sleep, an organization week, a productivity week, a social week... we'll see.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Week 1: Return to Baseline Week

I'm feeling a bit rough physically and mentally from a week or so out of my routines, and my ankle rehab, while it's clearly working, is also not really back to a place of great strength.  I don't feel physically resilient enough right now to take on a real challenge at full-tilt.  So Week 1 is just going to be trying to bring everything back up for the rest of the challenge: rest a lot, make sure the diet's on track, meditate a bit, do some stretching to get everything flexible again.  And also look up some ankle strengthening exercises again.  I've seen some good ones for people prone to repeated sprains and strains, so I should probably start working those in and trying to really solidify everything.

The life goal, well, what the hell, start with a fun one.  I've been toying with the idea of picking up my sketchbook again as a form of meditation, so let's give that a shot this week.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Simple and straight forward challenges are the best to get your head on right.  Great idea.

Get you head settled, and then nail everything you want!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I don't know if I'll be posting anything out of the sketchbook.  It's been a long, long time since I last did any regular drawing practice, and these will probably be short timed sketches, so they could be the practice stages ya don't show around. :)

Monday, September 15 - Day 1 of Restore Baseline Week

So yesterday involved getting off a plane and spending the rest of the day drinking litres of hot tea and making lots of vegetables.  The thing with not being in my own kitchen is that I can never seem to get in the quantity of fruit and vegetables that I want.  (I'm something like a 10-12 serving a day person on the vegetables.)  And sleep.  A lot of sleep.  That was good.

Today I:

• Added giant bowls of hot curried spinach to every meal.  FEED ME MORE VEGETABLES.  Seriously, I don't understand how most people get enough nutrients.  I barely get enough nutrients, and I cram them in there.
  • Have started rebalancing my macros from my trip, with more fat and protein and fewer carbs - hard to get that when eating out.  Also was probably not eating enough while travelling, so I'm sort of resuming the refeed.
  • Decided to do a work-from-bed day to baby my aching joints, and it accidentally turned into, ahem, a five hour nap.  Which is massive and unusual enough that I think I must have needed it, and my feeling achy was in fact being sick.  Work hours have shifted to tonight.  Have decided to be okay with this, so long as 80% of the work gets done, because ALL THE SLEEP is part of this week's fitness goal.
  • Did some light cardio, walking around town to run some errands for about an hour.  This week will mostly be short, light workouts just to get everything flexible and working again.  The hiking I did while I was away was occasionally a bit of a strain, especially on my ankle, and I was very sensitive to the slight reduction in sleep and food and so on, so this is very much a rest week.
  • LIFE GOAL: Reading a book on Zen and drawing.
  • Like 1

Of course not. We wouldn't want to know that you have to work and practice to get to where you are. It would ruin the mystique of the whole thing. :tongue:

Hey, artistic process, man.  Gotta nurture your rough drafts till they're ready. :)

All the sleep is excellent and I agree on the veggies.  Curried spinach sounds delicious and I have to make some of that.

It's not really authentic saag, but it's close enough for government work.  Sautee an onion and four or five teaspoons of garam masala in some olive oil, maybe some garlic if you're feeling ambitious, throw in a 20oz bag of frozen spinach (or kale, or...) and simmer, then add in some cream or butter and take a stick blender to the whole thing until it's a seething mass of velvety-smooth green pond scum.  There's just enough heat in my garam masala to make it interesting.  If I had some paneer, I'd throw cubes of that in, but I haven't been to the city lately.

• Like 1

Tuesday, September 16 - Day 2 of Restore Baseline Week

I feel silly starting a challenge with a week of aggressive resting, but, man, I needed it.  I'm already feeling about 200% better.  Aching joints are going away, muscles feel less strained, fatigue is going away.  Major, major difference between this and how I've been feeling for the past five or six days.  I ate ALL THE THINGS yesterday, and pushed myself to get the final 500 calories to hit my calorie goal.  I was way overstuffed, but dropped a huge amount of weight overnight, probably water weight from feeling shitty and physically stressed.  This is the lowest my weight has been in months and well below my next round-number target, so I suspect there was at least some weight lost on this vacation, though probably not actually as much as today's scale readings imply.

Today I:

• Got 9.5 hours of sleep.  (ALL THE SLEEP.  I don't know what's going on here.)
  • Light workout, about 30 minutes of walking to run more errands.  (To be honest, that's most days, but it totally counts on a rest week.)
  • Have a date with my foam roller.
  • Did some meditation.
  • LIFE GOAL: More reading today, a different book with some really good stuff in it.  But I also have a set of watercolor pencils that are looking really appealing for later.  I haven't worked with those before, so it'll probably just be a few color tests.

I'm trying not to feel totally jealous of everyone's lifting stats and feel like a slacker.  It's kind of been a revelation to me that slow, steady rest and recovery is important to solidifying progress and making improvements.  I WANT TO LIFT HEAVY THINGS TOO.  (Next week.  Next week I will lift heavy things.)

I'm something like a 10-12 serving a day person on the vegetables

• Seriously, I don't understand how most people get enough nutrients.  I barely get enough nutrients, and I cram them in there.

That....is a LOT of vegetables. I get a lot of my nutrients from supplements. (I still eat veggies, but nowhere near 10-12 servings. Then again, I eat about 3x the amount of food as a standard person, so I may get that much....I've never really calculated it.)

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

Tuesday, September 16 - Day 2 of Restore Baseline Week

I feel silly starting a challenge with a week of aggressive resting, but, man, I needed it.  I'm already feeling about 200% better.  Aching joints are going away, muscles feel less strained, fatigue is going away.  Major, major difference between this and how I've been feeling for the past five or six days.  I ate ALL THE THINGS yesterday, and pushed myself to get the final 500 calories to hit my calorie goal.  I was way overstuffed, but dropped a huge amount of weight overnight, probably water weight from feeling shitty and physically stressed.  This is the lowest my weight has been in months and well below my next round-number target, so I suspect there was at least some weight lost on this vacation, though probably not actually as much as today's scale readings imply.

Sleep is GOOD! Honestly, I don't get enough sleep. I sleep maybe 4-5 hours a night. Not enough. Getting rest is extremely important.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

You may well get that much, if you're eating 3x the usual food intake.  A serving isn't actually all that huge, and yet it's still hard to get the recommended 5 a day on the standard diet.  I don't eat a lot of grains, which is usually what pushes them off the plate.  I occasionally do supplements, too, but I prefer getting stuff from real food.  I think the body absorbs it better.

Man, I would not function well on 4-5 hours a night.  I'm usually ideal on 7-8, but this week I've just been needing all the sleep.  Which is a good thing, I usually shortchange myself a few hours.

Today I:

• Got 9.5 hours of sleep.  (ALL THE SLEEP.  I don't know what's going on here.)
  • Light workout, about 30 minutes of walking to run more errands.  (To be honest, that's most days, but it totally counts on a rest week.)
  • Have a date with my foam roller.
  • Did some meditation.
  • LIFE GOAL: More reading today, a different book with some really good stuff in it.  But I also have a set of watercolor pencils that are looking really appealing for later.  I haven't worked with those before, so it'll probably just be a few color tests.

I'm trying not to feel totally jealous of everyone's lifting stats and feel like a slacker.  It's kind of been a revelation to me that slow, steady rest and recovery is important to solidifying progress and making improvements.  I WANT TO LIFT HEAVY THINGS TOO.  (Next week.  Next week I will lift heavy things.)

All the sleep definitely is your body telling you something. Especially combined with eating all the food and losing weight. Healing injured joints and building muscle perhaps?

The watercolor pencils sound like fun. I can totally see drawing as a type of meditation. Have you ever done zentangles? One of my coworkers is really into them. Combines zen and doodling.

*coughs weakly* Foam roller.  Needed that.  ALL THE OW.

Yep. I did that today too. Keep it up and it will hurt less. Feel like massage even.

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

All the sleep definitely is your body telling you something. Especially combined with eating all the food and losing weight. Healing injured joints and building muscle perhaps?

Something like that, I gotta think.  I suspect just snowballing physical stresses, and now the body's taking advantage of the rest and food to make some improvements around the place.  Which is what I was hoping would happen this week.

I don't know about zentangles!  I'll take a look.  I suspect drawing really is quite meditative in a way.  There's a sort of non-judgmental observation to it.

The foam roller was actually not as bad as it could have been.  A few iffy points, and the loudest crunching as my vertebrae rearranged themselves, but not too many clearly tensed points.

Don't get jealous of the lifts. If anything, we should be jealous of the rest. Rest is where you get stronger and your adaptations happen. It's good, what you are doing. Keep doing it.

Rest, even rest I need, is not something I've ever been good at.  So recognizing I genuinely need it and getting it to happen is sort of a big deal. .

Cheers, there's lots of time for that stuff later.  it sounds like you really really need to be doing this now.  Wish I could sleep that much!

Not the most dynamic start to a challenge, but you do what needs to get done next.  It's an abnormally huge amount of sleep for me.  I'm sure it's partly jet lag and travel-hangover - and fortunately I arranged some flexibility for that, because that's always a thing after trips - but I won't knock it, because it's clearly doing its job.

I should seriously consider investing in a foam roller. I thought it was a load of crap until I tried it one day. My initial thoughts were along the lines of "let's get this over with so I can tell everyone I was right in how useless it is". After about the first 30 seconds, my only thought was "owowowowowowowowowowowowow"

• Like 3

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

They're not too pricy, for something that can keep the quads looser and fend off shoulder pain/tightness problems.  That alone is worth the price of admission.

Wednesday, September 17 - Day 3 of Restore Baseline Week

Today I:

• Slept 9 hours.
  • [To be filled in.]

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines