Cross Guild: Walk This Way To Rivendell!

elinox

one-does-not-simply-walk-into-mordor_139

Accept that that's exactly what this Accountabillibuddy group will do! 

This group is for those nerds out there who 1. have walking as part of their current challenge and/or 2. are fans of the Lord of the Rings. (While I'm not a huge fan myself, I didn't think a Wizard of Oz group would be as popular. :tongue:)

According to our own Nerd Fitness blog here, one can walk to Mordor. With help from this website, we know that it's about 1779 miles from Hobbiton to Mount Doom. Our goal, between the members who join, will be to walk the first 458 miles from Hobbiton to Rivendell, between us, for this 6 week challenge. That's about 65 miles for 6 weeks, or about 11 miles per week per person if we only have 7 members. Future challenges may continue from Rivendell to Lothlorien, etc. but they say the journey begins with the first step so let's make it to Rivendell first!

Frodo and Sam couldn't have gone all that way alone, the fellowship was key to their ultimate success. So we shall be encouraging others here as we strive to reach Rivendell by October 26th. 

Rules

1. Sign up in the official Accountabillibuddy spreadsheet here

2. Follow this thread and other members threads by clicking the red 'follow this topic' button at the top right of your screen.

3. Post a short introduction about yourself, what your walking challenge is and how it pertains to the Lord of the Rings. 

4. Spreadsheet to track our walking is here

Members

1. elinox = Follow the Yellow Brick Road

2. deepforest = deepforest continues her quest for more stamina & better health

3. deerskin = Deerskin is heading to Tom Bombadil's!

4. Seriousleigh = Seriousleigh - Night shift madness

5. Amdhiel = Amdhiel's Perpetual Quest - Challenge 1

6. Targilnar = Down from the door where it began

7. davidized = Getting Back on Track

lotr2.jpg

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Ooh ooh ooh!

I don't have walking as part of my challenge this time (it was last time) but I'm planning on continuing to walk, and, um, *points at green progress bar in signature* I might be walking to Mordor on my own already, so there is no way I'm not doing this.

• Like 1

Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 3|DEX 0|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 4

Battle Log

Challenges: 1 current

Walking to Mordor and back, in Sam's footsteps (168.2/3482):

4.83%
4.83%

I walked five miles today! (wandered around campus, went to the gym, and went exploring a little downtown)

Will there be a spreadsheet?

Awesome!

I'll try to make a spreadsheet where we can keep track and then get totals, but it may take me a bit to figure it out. I may have to ask the husband since he's the Excel-guru. ;)

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

I've done it!

Spreadsheet to track our walking is now here

Let me know if there are any issues. 

Current Challenge: 

Hey guys! Part of my challenge this time around is to walk to Tom Bombadil's house (98 miles) but bonus points if I make it to Bree! (135 miles). So far I have walked 8 miles this week, so I will update the spreadsheet. Super excited about this group!

Wonderful, welcome to the band!

Current Challenge: 

I don't have walking as an active part of my challenge this time around since walking is no longer a challenge for me as I walk 2km to and from work and about 2km at work each day so it's a no brainer for me :) Although when I am able to get to the gym I do enjoy speed walking/jogging on the treadmills so I will be able to add that in as well soon :)

Oh! Hi! I'm Seriousleigh, and I walk entirely too much most of the time, I don't own a car and I hate taking the bus if I can help it so I walk around quite a bit. As for the whole LotR aspect of this group, I work night shifts and it's fall where I live so it's been raining like crazy lately which always makes me think of the night when the Hobbits stumble into the Prancing Pony and it's just raining buckets. I also get to walk a really nice path through a small park and beside a strip of trees/fields with some slight hills which makes me think a bit of the Shire, although I actually thought the Yellow Brick Road idea was pretty awesome :) 

The links for my challenge and my log are in my signature if you need them. :)

Welcome Serious! Glad to know you do a lot of walking since we only currently have 4 members. With your use of kilometers, may I assume you're from the UK?

Current Challenge: 

I'm from Canada actually, a few hours drive east of the New York state boarder. Although I think that the US is the only country in the world that uses miles to measure distances now. :)

It's what I'm familiar with and what the websites stated the distances in. :P Personally, I think we should all use the same measurements. I'm just not good with numbers!

Current Challenge: 

Agreed :) I've been tossing my distances into a calculator and then posting them in the spreadsheet as miles. Although all the machines at my gym are from the US so it's all in miles there so that will be handy for me :)

I appreciate that you've done it for me, thanks!

Current Challenge: 

So, I just found this thread. Walking isn't part of my challenge but I don't own a car so I do a fair chunk (20-30 mi/week). Steve did a post about 2 years ago that included a link to a spreadsheet that does all the calculations needed it even will even convert km to mi. You can save off a copy and then share it for tracking.

I'll sign up on the accountabilibuddy spreadsheet and help out.

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Welcome Amdhiel! I'll take a look at his spreadsheet and add you to our list tomorrow as it's hard to do long-term stuff on my tablet. ;)

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

So, I just found this thread. Walking isn't part of my challenge but I don't own a car so I do a fair chunk (20-30 mi/week). Steve did a post about 2 years ago that included a link to a spreadsheet that does all the calculations needed it even will even convert km to mi. You can save off a copy and then share it for tracking.

We've already got a super awesome spreadsheet that elinox made, with weekly goals and everything.

The post with the link is farther up the page, but here it is again anyway.

Battle Log

4.83%
4.83%

I don't have walking as an active part of my challenge this time around since walking is no longer a challenge for me as I walk 2km to and from work and about 2km at work each day so it's a no brainer for me :) Although when I am able to get to the gym I do enjoy speed walking/jogging on the treadmills so I will be able to add that in as well soon :)

Oh! Hi! I'm Seriousleigh, and I walk entirely too much most of the time, I don't own a car and I hate taking the bus if I can help it so I walk around quite a bit. As for the whole LotR aspect of this group, I work night shifts and it's fall where I live so it's been raining like crazy lately which always makes me think of the night when the Hobbits stumble into the Prancing Pony and it's just raining buckets. I also get to walk a really nice path through a small park and beside a strip of trees/fields with some slight hills which makes me think a bit of the Shire, although I actually thought the Yellow Brick Road idea was pretty awesome :)

The links for my challenge and my log are in my signature if you need them. :)

Hey there guys! Welcome to the group!

I only walked about 1.4 miles today, but I did ride my bike around (I learned how to do some bike maintenance today! Yay!) a bunch-8.9 miles according to Google. Would you be willing to count that?

Since we only have 5/7 members, and 458 miles is hard enough already for 7 people to do, I think supplementing biking for walking is fine. Things like swimming not so much, but if people would rather bike or run (why?!?!) to Rivendell, that's cool by me. We're going to need to find some extra miles from somewhere!

And thanks deepforest for linking to our spreadsheet. I took a look at Steve's spreadsheet (I'd linked his article in my original post too!) and it seems to be geared more towards walking completely to Mordor, not just to Rivendell. And while Mt. Doom may be our eventual goal, walking 1779 miles in 30 days seems really difficult to me. That breaks down to about 8 miles per person, per day for 30 days! And I was stiff after only 6 miles one day. So I think we'll stick to the spreadsheet I created since it's just to Rivendell. If we succeed, perhaps next challenge we'll walk from Rivendell to Lothlorien, etc. 

Current Challenge: 

For my own personal walk I was counting the biking, because the hobbits had ponies part of the way. I just wasn't sure on this one because we hadn't reached the point at which they got the ponies yet. I would rather walk, usually, but distances to all the places I was going yesterday were great enough that that wasn't happening.

Also I just checked the spreadsheet and we're almost at Crickhollow! Only a quarter mile to go.

Battle Log

4.83%
4.83%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines