Ah yes.  This thing.

Three days after the last post, car accident, and barely a workout since because backs are dumb.

I really need to keep something up, though.

So I went to the Stadium today, and walked a full tour.  I *was* supposed to bring someone, but they bailed at 5:00am.  I still pushed myself to go.  Both for need of physical exercise/movement to stop me twitching, my vague attempt to outrun my fork, and the bonus that I got to work at like 7am and can leave at 4ish with little concern.  Didn't push myself too hard, though, because I also don't want to mess up the back/shoulder issue I have going on.  Lots of RICE suggested, unfortunately.

I also have a chiropractor appointment tonight.  No idea what that'll look like, as it's appointment 2.  Hopefully the doctor can give me some suggested workout ideas and I can maybe start doing something, even if it isn't on the mat.

Patience right now isn't exactly my strong suit.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

3 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Ah yes.  This thing.

Three days after the last post, car accident, and barely a workout since because backs are dumb.

I really need to keep something up, though.

So I went to the Stadium today, and walked a full tour.  I *was* supposed to bring someone, but they bailed at 5:00am.  I still pushed myself to go.  Both for need of physical exercise/movement to stop me twitching, my vague attempt to outrun my fork, and the bonus that I got to work at like 7am and can leave at 4ish with little concern.  Didn't push myself too hard, though, because I also don't want to mess up the back/shoulder issue I have going on.  Lots of RICE suggested, unfortunately.

I also have a chiropractor appointment tonight.  No idea what that'll look like, as it's appointment 2.  Hopefully the doctor can give me some suggested workout ideas and I can maybe start doing something, even if it isn't on the mat.

Patience right now isn't exactly my strong suit.

Well, but on the flip side, walking is supposed to be hecking restorative, and surely that distance counts for something.

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Well, but on the flip side, walking is supposed to be hecking restorative, and surely that distance counts for something.

I'm used to "just" walking the stadium with a ruck on,  but even without it's not like it's NOT a solid workout.  Especially in the high humidity we had this morning.

Anyway.  Got most of the work yoga session in today.  Work got in the way, so I had to work, but once I reached a reasonable stop point I jumped out and did the rest of the session.  Next week the instructor said she's going to focus on hip openers and stretches.  Specifically because of me.  She's a good instructor, and I wish I had more hours in a day to take more of her classes.  That would be awesome.

• Like 2

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Welp. My last theee months have been hellish. 

Thankfully it’s a new year. 

Been trying to to think and plan what I want 2019 to be, what goals and plans I can launch myself towards. It’s the first time in a long while that I’m financially clear, have stable employment, mostly good habits (when I wish to apply them), and almost content over all. It’s strange looking at the bottom of Maslow’s heirarchy being full. It also makes goals that much harder. 

Overall, I suspect 2019 will be more about self care, personal goals, and not drifting on a current. Being a bit more active in what I want. And for those instances where I have no choice in the matter, finding the best way to step into responsibilities and tasks I may not want or think I deserve. 

So lots of mental stuff. Physically, I have a slightly wonky back still, and a shodan exam to prepare for even if I don’t want to think about it. I also need to get my weight/body comp back to where I like it - several months of depression and anxiety and holidays caused a lot of no-fucks given eating. Time to fix that again. Something about veggies being good for you or something.

welp. Time to figure things out for this new year. 

• Like 3

Yeah, that getting back on the mat soreness. I had a week off. The first day back I could not make my body do half the things. "Yes sensei, I understand what I'm supposed to do". Can I do it? Clearly not. Could I do it two weeks ago? Yep.

Give yourself some slack while you get back up to speed. It takes your body a week or two to readjust.

Do you have someone who can do continuous training with you at the dojo? This is the training style that is done at the Kumano dojo in Shingu, Japan. There is no pause between repetitions of technique. Uke gets up from a pin or throw as quickly as possible and attacks nage again. Nage knows this is going to happen and moves to be in the right place as uke gets up. It helps a lot if uke takes back rolls instead of back falls, otherwise uke may not have time to get up at all. It is kind of like HIIT because you can catch your breath as nage, then work like mad as uke.

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

59 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Do you have someone who can do continuous training with you at the dojo? This is the training style that is done at the Kumano dojo in Shingu, Japan. There is no pause between repetitions of technique. Uke gets up from a pin or throw as quickly as possible and attacks nage again. Nage knows this is going to happen and moves to be in the right place as uke gets up. It helps a lot if uke takes back rolls instead of back falls, otherwise uke may not have time to get up at all. It is kind of like HIIT because you can catch your breath as nage, then work like mad as uke.

This sounds like a belt test without the benefit of adrenaline lol.

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

This sounds like a belt test without the benefit of adrenaline lol.

It is actually faster than a belt test. We had four kyu tests last Saturday. Sensei wanted to keep things moving. She would call the technique, watch a couple repetitions, say "now ura", then say "thank you, next ...". The testees got to rest during each "thank you" part. Not very long, but enough for a few breaths. Plus the pace is slower on tests because nage is supposed to be demonstrating clear techniques by the book. That gets faster as the rank gets higher but is still more controlled than free practice.

• Like 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log