• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

Fall Brawl for it All 2014!

Would I be able to use my results from a meet I did on Saturday even though I only joined today?

I won't be maxing out for a little while again.

I don't see it in the rules post, but I vaguely remember a rule about needing to be an established NF member with a minimum number of posts (~100) in order to compete in the virtual meet. Or I'm just making that up... Warriors, help me out here...

It looks like I'm going to be sitting this one out. My meet is on the 18th and maxing out just isn't worth the risk. Good luck boys and girls.

Personally, I'd so throw up what you did in the meet.  It's not like this is for any titles anyway, short of a NF title which (sadly) I don't think you or I are going to be in contention for the #1 spots in any of the Big 3.

I don't see it in the rules post, but I vaguely remember a rule about needing to be an established NF member with a minimum number of posts (~100) in order to compete in the virtual meet. Or I'm just making that up... Warriors, help me out here...

Not sure. I know the Leaderboards have a minimum of 50 posts to be on them, so I'd assume the same here, but maybe Gainsdalf can weigh in.

Any way, at the powerlifting comp at Camp.

Squat 385/405/415 (PR)

Bench 275/315/325 (PR since injury)

Deadlift 385/405/430 (Matched PR from 14 months ago)

Some new folks showed up who were very strong. Including Anthony Michael who is going to give Bigm a run for the deadlift if he wants to. 6'3", 210#, 550# deadlift and it looked easy. Oh, and a 345# front squat (cause he doesn't back squat).

Shit... I hope I keep most of my deadlift when I get down to the 220s...

for that day. Not for this competition.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm actually considering allowing it. If people want to use front squats instead of back squats for their squat here, it's going to be lower. However, I feel like they should be able to post a total if they don't back squat for any variety of reasons... Anyone else have any opinions on this one way or another?

Anyone can participate in the virtual meet and post a total. In order to be eligble for the lifting leaderboard or to actually win one of the parts of the and the accompanying title, they need 50 posts and to have been active in the last year (since I don't have a metric to track actual activity, as I would like it to be 50 posts in the last year alone).

• Like 1

I'm actually considering allowing it. If people want to use front squats instead of back squats for their squat here, it's going to be lower. However, I feel like they should be able to post a total if they don't back squat for any variety of reasons... Anyone else have any opinions on this one way or another?

I'm going to be the grump who says it sort of starts a slippery slope (i.e. "Can I post goblet squats/hack squats/floor press/dumbbell press instead of squat/bench press?"). Perhaps they could post it but if you've front squatted you're only eligible for the front squat leaderboard and the overall rankings for bench and deadlift (not total). Whilst we want everyone competing, we also want a level playing field.

Also, I don't think you should be eligible for a belt if you only post a single lift (because there's quite an advantage in only doing one lift compared to doing a full three lift session).

• Like 1

I'm going to be the grump who says it sort of starts a slippery slope (i.e. "Can I post goblet squats/hack squats/floor press/dumbbell press instead of squat/bench press?"). Perhaps they could post it but if you've front squatted you're only eligible for the front squat leaderboard and the overall rankings for bench and deadlift (not total). Whilst we want everyone competing, we also want a level playing field.

Also, I don't think you should be eligible for a belt if you only post a single lift (because there's quite an advantage in only doing one lift compared to doing a full three lift session).

I see your point with that first one, and yeah, I think I agree. You need to do the powerlifts to compete for the total. If you front squat, you are still competing in the deadlift and bench titles.

What I would say and allow for the later statement is that if an individual title is something someone doing all 3 lifts really wants to compete for and thinks they can do better doing it stand alone vs. doing a full meet, then it is allowable for them to come back later with just doing that lift since we do the competition over multiple weeks. That new lift, if improved, could count toward that individual lift title, but not the total title. If we like that, I'll update the competition post with that rule.

Agreed with SS, especially in this case. I mean it's not like someone with a 345 FS and 550 DL couldn't at least cheese out a 350+BS to get in the game if they were so inclined.

I don't think the rules require changing to accommodate individual lifts on their own days either. There's already the leader boards for that sort of ranking. Maybe add yet more titles or badges (could be cool) for the current top 3 in every leader board tracked lift. I think part of the fun of the virtual comp is that even though it's virtual and has a pretty wide window people still have to plan and prepare to hit their lifts at a certain time and on the same day. I think that's worth rewarding and the current setup does just that.

I look at it a little like training for gym lifts or for comp lifts. We are as inclusive at possible which is good and why it would be cool to have something neat for leader board leaders but to get the "xx champion" tag you have to bring it within more structured rules, just like any RL comp.

Sorry to muddle the waters. In this case Anthony was one of the instructors (and Steve's personal trainer). I doubt that he will join us as he's more into the parkour type stuff. Yeah that 345# front squat and the deadlift was him just trying to see what he could do because we egged him on. Since he is so tall we had to adjust the pins (like we did at 4t, taking turns lifting the weight and moving the hooks. One of the other guys walked out the 345 so we could change the hooks and said "good lord, he's going to front squat this sh*t?"

I was just trying to tweak bigm...

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Sorry to muddle the waters. In this case Anthony was one of the instructors (and Steve's personal trainer). I doubt that he will join us as he's more into the parkour type stuff. Yeah that 345# front squat and the deadlift was him just trying to see what he could do because we egged him on. Since he is so tall we had to adjust the pins (like we did at 4t, taking turns lifting the weight and moving the hooks. One of the other guys walked out the 345 so we could change the hooks and said "good lord, he's going to front squat this sh*t?"

I was just trying to tweak bigm...

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think we should do the following:

-Back Squat

-Bench Press

-Deadlift

All in one day, per normal PL rules.

If you want to do one lift, that's for the lifter leaderboards.

We allowed Anthony to Front Squat because it was an informal fun meet.  I don't think he'll be trying to make it count for here, but if he does, Wildross already beat him with his back squat anyways.  So.  :)  But for the record, he DID pull 550 with no belt and double overhand.  Ridiculous.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think we should do the following:

-Back Squat

-Bench Press

-Deadlift

All in one day, per normal PL rules.

If you want to do one lift, that's for the lifter leaderboards.

We allowed Anthony to Front Squat because it was an informal fun meet. I don't think he'll be trying to make it count for here, but if he does, Wildross already beat him with his back squat anyways. So. :) But for the record, he DID pull 550 with no belt and double overhand. Ridiculous.

That is genuinely beastly!

Who wants to volunteer for some data entry into the main sheet cuz Gainsdalf is too busy?

We allowed Anthony to Front Squat because it was an informal fun meet.  I don't think he'll be trying to make it count for here, but if he does, Wildross already beat him with his back squat anyways.  So.   :)  But for the record, he DID pull 550 with no belt and double overhand.  Ridiculous.

Yeah, that's silly strong.

Anyone can participate in the virtual meet and post a total. In order to be eligble for the lifting leaderboard or to actually win one of the parts of the and the accompanying title, they need 50 posts and to have been active in the last year (since I don't have a metric to track actual activity, as I would like it to be 50 posts in the last year alone).

Awesome.

Squat: 140kg

Bench: 85kg

Deadlift: 140kg

Total: 365kg

Body Weight: 54.2kg

There will be no titles this time but after this I'm back in kit untill the end of November.

Awesome.

There will be no titles this time but after this I'm back in kit untill the end of November.

Good lord!  That's some impressive ratios!  Damn 3x BW on your DL and Squat?  Way to crush it!  My dreams of a Top 10 finish might be waning with all the strength we got coming on the NF board these days.

Who wants to volunteer for some data entry into the main sheet cuz Gainsdalf is too busy?

I'm fine doing data entry since that's what I do the Leaderboards anyway, but I need a way to convert a real name to a NF name.  Spezzy, you don't by chance know all the NF handles for those people do you?

Darn..  I needed that other 5# on the squat

Wildross 111 m 54 174.60 183.67 188.20 188.20 110.40 3

Spezzy 70 f 30 102.00 106.5 111.13 111.13 110.56 2

Where's that age factor???

Good lord!  That's some impressive ratios!  Damn 3x BW on your DL and Squat?  Way to crush it!  My dreams of a Top 10 finish might be waning with all the strength we got coming on the NF board these days.

Not quite 3x BW.  If I was squatting that raw I'd be knocking on the door of an IPF world record. I've deadlifted more in training and in previous competitions.  My deadlift is a sore point right now.

Don't mind doing it but do we have forum names and bodyweights?

And did everyone want to enter Fall Brawl?

I'm fine doing data entry since that's what I do the Leaderboards anyway, but I need a way to convert a real name to a NF name. Spezzy, you don't by chance know all the NF handles for those people do you?

Okay, so sorry - I didn't mean everyone wanted to enter. I don't know if these people want to enter at all. Just included the spreadsheet because I thought people would be interested.

We didn't do weigh ins for this - so we don't have Wilkes either. So ignore that.

If you competed at camp, you are responsible for putting your own numbers in the correct spreadsheet :)

• Like 1

Awesome.

Next NF comp isn't 'til January or February. :)