L1 Mini Dungeons (please follow)

Blaidd

Week 2 Mini - Making Friends

So this week has a few sub quests. The first one should be completed by everyone who chooses to take part and then choose one of either 2 or 3.

Part 1 - Updating your signature (if you've already done this then choose either Part 2 or 3).

You've created your own thread and popped in to say hi and support other people's threads, but they would also like to pop in to say hello and support you, but have to go through all the L1's to find your thread (what a daunting task).  So we're going to make it easier for everyone and make sure we all have a signature with at least a link to our challenge.

Part 2:  Join an accountability group

Now that you've got a signature you can go out into the NF world confidently knowing that people will be able to find you more easily.  Why not join an accountability group?  An accountabilibuddy squad can be about supporting others with similar goals, similar interests, from similar states, similar challenges themes etc.  There doesn't even need to be a common thread. These are just smaller congregations to meet like minded people and you don't have to join one if you don't want to.  If you don't find one here, create one and let others join. Just remember these groups shouldn't be bigger than 8 - 10 members (except Guild Ambassador lead L1 groups).

Part 3: Support your fellow L1's

AB squads are just not your thing, but you'd like to meet and support other folks here.  Great, your quest then is to:

*If you complete both parts of this challenge (either 1+2 or 1+3) then you will get an additional +1 CHA to allocate at the end of the 6 week challenge.

1.) Signature edited! couldn't get the hang of the status bars, though. May need to get my IT husband on it. /computer iliterate

2.) Kind of missed the boat with this one, but I have been posting in Heidi's food Q&A thread, sharing my love of apple-kale slaw.

3.) Following the threads of TinyLivingMama, She Hulk, and Amren, all very amazing women and great inspirations!

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

1. I'm not able to achieve my dance goal as my other three goals have combined to put my pain levels through the roof. Just being on my feet is making me feel physically ill.

2. These kinda apply, http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/05/12/injuries/ and http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/07/01/what-to-do-after-you-injure-yourself/

3. I need to accept that I'll never recover from this injury and stop trying to do things I used to do. Can I swap out my dance challenge for a food one? I can't do any more physical activity but I have been unofficially tracking my food and improving my diet and I've lost 5lbs since the start of the 6 week challenge.

I just noticed you're a "Face Dancer". Who fan?

Your eyes explain a story

That never had a start

Your brow reveals the glory

That's hidden in your heart

• Like 1

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

I just noticed you're a "Face Dancer". Who fan?

Your eyes explain a storyThat never had a startYour brow reveals the gloryThat's hidden in your heart

:D Frank Herbert's Dune actually. My son likes The Who though, well the CSI theme song :P

• Like 2

Level 1 -::- Nome Face-Dancer -::- Wannabe Druid

STR 2 | STA 2.9 | DEX 0.3 | CON 0 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenge

80 miles in 6 weeks

0%
0%

Lose 20lb (200lb starting weight)

75%
75%
"Believe in yourself. You are an ancient, absent god, discussed only rarely by literary scholars. So if you don't believe, no-one will."

Dune was good.  I liked it.  Also love Dresden, WoT, SoT, Lightbringer, Nightside and about a thousand other things too...fantasy book nerd lol.

• Like 2

Lycansbane (NF CHaracter)

1st | 1st redo | 2nd | 3rd

"Pain is for the living. Only the dead don't feel it." ~ Jim Butcher

"They live lives that don't matter, that touch no one and change nothing. For better or worse, you and I stared evil in the eye and didn't flinch. We raised our swords and went to war, and even if we didn't win we kicked some ass along the way. We made a difference, and that's all any man can ask." ~ Simon Green

1. I'm not able to achieve my dance goal as my other three goals have combined to put my pain levels through the roof. Just being on my feet is making me feel physically ill.

2. These kinda apply, http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/05/12/injuries/ and http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/07/01/what-to-do-after-you-injure-yourself/

3. I need to accept that I'll never recover from this injury and stop trying to do things I used to do. Can I swap out my dance challenge for a food one? I can't do any more physical activity but I have been unofficially tracking my food and improving my diet and I've lost 5lbs since the start of the 6 week challenge.

Chromaggia - I'm pretty sure that Blaidd will say yes, you can adjust your goals.

especially here in week three - you re-evaluate your goals and adjust for those that you may have over esteemed - but ALWAYS in the case of an injury - you get to change up your goals.

never? is it really a never? if so - I can relate. If it takes some time of rehab, then, patience is a goal!

And, being on your feet - I just aquired my newest immobility boot - grrrrrr. and I only agreed to it because I could not stand on my left foot at all. and, hoping around on my right foot wasn't getting it!

Therefore, I have to readjust my whole physical goals...maybe I'll do more art.

hugs!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

So, Got week 2 challenge sorted last week, of course, I've been a bit out of the loop this week. Trying to get stuck in again. 

as for week 3 challenge!

So your challenge for this week has 3 parts:

1. Pinpoint the quest in your journey that is giving you the most uphill (or one that you're struggling to achieve)

Right now, I am having the most trouble with the breakfast/carb quest. I am still struggling to get up and get a piece of fruit or a yogurt with my coffee in the morning before I get going, but I think the best solution there is just forethought. I was reaching for bananas in the morning when I have them, but I'm still not convinced a single piece of fruit is necessarily the best breakfast. 

2. Search through NF (forums or articles) to find one that is able to offer some assistance

I've found a good selection on cleaning up my diet, and though most threads dealing with breakfast seem to be more about piling on calories, I've found one particularly useful thread.

3. Apply it to your challenge (no collecting underpants here).

I'm feeling a bit better about the yogurt now, and I am planning on going to the local market this weekend to stock up on fruits and eggs. Banana pancakes for the win!

Level 2 Adventurer

Quest History: 1

Current Quest

STR 3 | STA 2.5 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

1. Pinpoint the quest in your journey that is giving you the most uphill (or one that you're struggling to achieve)

Setting aside time to commit to exercise. I am a morning despiser that really wants to be a morning person. I need to get up early (before my 3 year old drains my energy by 9am) and set aside time. Or establish a time that my family knows about in advance so that I can focus only on my fitness. I got an awesome weight set from craigslist last week and haven't been able to play with it!

2. Search through NF (forums or articles) to find one that is able to offer some assistance
This made me re-evaluate what I'm doing. I feel that I finally have the determination and the resources, I just need to change my habits. When my son is napping, I need to do something to better myself : prep meals, watch a show and do some exercises, go sit out on the dock. Something besides draining my time away on Pinterest or Facebook.

For this upcoming week, I am going to put into motion one of two things. I will either

A. Set an alarm and wake up with purpose. Get some breakfast and some movement in before the household wakes up. Or...

B. Let family members know that an hour block of the day is me-time, and I will use it for the same reasons.

Level 1 Half-Orc | Class : Undetermined

STR 1.8 | STA 0.6 | DEX 0 | CON 3 | CHA 0.5 | WIS 2

MFP

Battle Log | NF Challenge #1 | #2

Femme Fatales

1. My hardest quest right now is probably challenge 3 - get moving. I have to leave for school at 6:30 am and with a part-time job I have 3-4 nights a week where I get home at midnight or just past. Between life getting in the way (for good and bad reasons) and my general sense of exhaution, I haven't found any stretches that don't already aggriavate something that is already sore or achy.

2. After a quick search, I found the introduction article of someone in a similar predicament ( who I now follow) - the only exception, rather than two jobs, I have school and a job. In said thread someone linked the NF Beginners Bodyweight exercise guide. 

3. Not going to lie, I am hella intimidated by this thing. But since I'm only supposed to do this...hunh.  2 or 3 times a week, I assumed I was going to have to do it every day. I can do it on days that I don't work, definitely.

+1 STA for finding something to help you move.

Snacking. This is hard, and in week 2 I was struggling not to have snacks, and successfully did not. But, Yesterday went back to my old self. Binged a whole lot. 

Was able to see a forum where another person had a whole lot of cravings. Taking the tip of brushing teeth after meal, but going to modify it into chewing a gum whenever hungry/ want to snack.

This has been a really hard challenge, where I have now learned a whole lot of what is should and should not do. I will add drinking tea to the chewing a gum tip to reduce my food intake. I am also going to start the food diary on my fitnesspal to track everything.

+1 CON for finding a way to work around those snack attacks.  Don't forget that it's ok to have a bad day every now and then.  It will get easier (or rather you will get better).

+1 DEX for putting your injury ahead of your goal.  As CA mentioned you're more than welcome to amend your challenge to accommodate your injury.

Blaidd, you're amazing. Thanks for working so hard for all of us!

I love what I do, so you are guaranteed that I will keep on doing it :D

So, Got week 2 challenge sorted last week, of course, I've been a bit out of the loop this week. Trying to get stuck in again. 

as for week 3 challenge!

Right now, I am having the most trouble with the breakfast/carb quest. I am still struggling to get up and get a piece of fruit or a yogurt with my coffee in the morning before I get going, but I think the best solution there is just forethought. I was reaching for bananas in the morning when I have them, but I'm still not convinced a single piece of fruit is necessarily the best breakfast. 

I've found a good selection on cleaning up my diet, and though most threads dealing with breakfast seem to be more about piling on calories, I've found one particularly useful thread.

I'm feeling a bit better about the yogurt now, and I am planning on going to the local market this weekend to stock up on fruits and eggs. Banana pancakes for the win!

+1 CON for finding a replacement for your banana. Btw, you can make egg "muffins" and freeze them (or keep them in the fridge a few days) and they are great on the go snacks.

Hello everyone!

I posted my response over at my thread HERE.

Yay for being nearly half-way!!

Celebrating-Cory-and-Shawn-Boy-Meets-Wor

+1 DEX for figuring a way to work around your injury.

Setting aside time to commit to exercise. I am a morning despiser that really wants to be a morning person. I need to get up early (before my 3 year old drains my energy by 9am) and set aside time. Or establish a time that my family knows about in advance so that I can focus only on my fitness. I got an awesome weight set from craigslist last week and haven't been able to play with it!

This made me re-evaluate what I'm doing. I feel that I finally have the determination and the resources, I just need to change my habits. When my son is napping, I need to do something to better myself : prep meals, watch a show and do some exercises, go sit out on the dock. Something besides draining my time away on Pinterest or Facebook.

For this upcoming week, I am going to put into motion one of two things. I will either

A. Set an alarm and wake up with purpose. Get some breakfast and some movement in before the household wakes up. Or...

B. Let family members know that an hour block of the day is me-time, and I will use it for the same reasons.

+1 WIS for trying to overcome being a morning despiser.  A tip - there are bodyweight exercises that you can do with your toddler around that might help. They love those kinds of things - it's playtime for them and exercise for you :D

• Like 2

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

1. Pinpoint the quest in your journey that is giving you the most uphill (or one that you're struggling to achieve).

Quest Nr. 3: prove mental perseverance --> six weeks without chocolate. Well I am gobbling an enormous quantity of chocolate for some days now again. It is not so difficult for me to stay away from chocolate when I didn't have any for some time already BUT when I have some then I hardly can stop anymore.

On my search I came across this post. The idea is to allow yourself chocolate, but a certain amount / times per time unit (e.g. once a week). Further you should distract yourself from the wish of having chocolate by doing something else. Plus I need to find a good way of setting my mindset, e.g. internalize "I DON'T eat chocolate, I will have a glass of water instead."

My third quest is going to be changed into "One chocolate treat per day." So I can enjoy chocolate for example in the evening, then stop eating some for about 24h.

If you fellows got any other tips for me how I can stop giving in to cravings please tell me :D

• Like 2

"The purpose of life is to be happy." - Tendzin Gyatsho, the 14th Dalai Lama 

Character

I love the idea of limiting rather than removing. I feel too sad when I can't have at least one bite to savor! And having 24hrs between should help with pacing!

*starts stalking the dungeons for signs of the mythical light shaft or fountain of stat point distribution*

I am so excited today for week 3 to come to a close!!

- Mobile communication granted.

• Like 2

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

It's still Week 3, right? :D

1. The quest that is most difficult would probably be the '1 sugary drink a week' - while not impossible, it's a bit of a mental struggle, seeing as I used to drink almost one (or more) a day not too long ago.

2. Definitely this. It's probably the wake-up call I've needed for a very long time.

3. Out goes all (or most) of the soda in my house, and I'm heading out this week to stock up on unsweetened teas (green tea is a personal favourite).

• Like 1

Motivation to to get out and walk every morning. The past week as been a huge struggle after my doctor putting me on medication for hypothyroidism. 

2. Search through NF (forums or articles) to find one that is able to offer some assistance​

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/21/how-to-guarantee-victory-against-the-motivation-monster/

So I moved my workout stuff between me and the alarm. And I am getting up an extra 30 minutes earlier to make more time available to get that walk in!

• Like 1

Level 1 Pale skinned Dark Dwarf  Adventurer 

{STR 2, DEX 1.8, STA 2.1, CON 1.6, WIS .6, CHA 0}

There is no can't, Only I will or I won't!

Challenge-- http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/53929-breaking-the-silence/

First Goal:Lose 65lbs

38%
38%

So excited for Week four mini-challenge! 

/obsessively checks the L1 mini-dungeons

• Like 3

1)  I take on too much, then give up on all of it if I am not doing one part "perfectly".  All or nothing thinking.  Then I can't break out of the funk I am in. So instead of telling myself, it's okay, and just go for a walk or do something for 5 minutes, I don't do anything at all because that quick workout it isn't the 30 minute cardio session I was suppose to do.

2) I think the one that helps the most is Steve's "The 5-step plan to success"

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/02/01/5-steps-after-failing/

The main theme is move on, figure out why you failed and readjust your goals as necessary to build healthy habits.  I love the no-nonsense “Did you wake up this morning?  That’s a good start.  Build on that.â€

3) I plan to scale back the cardio portion of my challenge, from cardio 30-min 3 times a week to 10 minutes of movement everyday. This will get me away from my desk at lunch everyday, and since I am an over-achiever, I usually squeeze in more than 10 minutes.

Liser Frenche

Level 1 - STR : 1.3 | DEX : 1.5 | STA : 1.5 | CON : 1.5 | WIS : 0 | CHA : 0

Current Challenge  /Battle Log I   

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

MFP username: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/liserfrenche

"Strive for Progress, Not Perfection"

1. It definitely is my life quest: Job Hunting. During the first three weeks I managed to cough up only one job application.

2. Browsing through the blog archives I found the How to build your Batcave and 30 Day Hard Hat Challenge articles.

3. Living in a small apartment at the moment, I needed to settle for less than perfect. In my son's room there's a cupboard that's the perfect height for a standing desk. He agreed to let me use it as a workspace while he's at school, so I can minimize distractions there for the better part of the day. I can browse for job offers, write job applications and hone my programming skills for when I find a job. I put an appointment into Google Calendar for 9:30 a.m. monday through friday to hunt for jobs/write applications for one hour. The Google calendar reminder will be my hard hat.

I'll also print out a monthly calendar for the Seinfeld Strategy part of the hard hat challenge.

Warg

Level 1 Lycan Assassin

STR 4 | STA 2 | DEX 0 | CON 1 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge

"If you don't know what you want, you end up with a lot you don't" - Chuck Palahniuk

100 pushups

25%
25%

200 squats

30.5%
30.5%

Week 4: Leveling Up

Well done, you've made it to the end of week 3, so now you get to level up to Level 1 and you get to allocate 10 stat points to your challenge.

We use 6 attributes in NF Real Life Roleplaying:
  • Strength (STR) - physical strength
  • Dexterity (DEX) - agility and speed
  • Stamina (STA) - Endurance and Energy
  • Constitution (CON) - ability to resist damage and disease (also related to diet)
  • Wisdom (WIS) - intuition and sense of things around himself (any learning that you've done is also included)
  • Charisma (CHA) - force of personality and physical attractiveness (sociable aspects of your challenge are also included)

So your quest these week will be as follows:

1. Allocate 10 points to your quests

2. Do a mid challenge summary and rate yourself on a percentage scale

3. Using your rating, allocate points to your challenge so far.  You can round up/down if you don't like fractions (like i do).

4. Update your signature with your points

5. Let us know how you've allocated

Example:

1. Goal allocation:

Q1: Walk 5k a day = 2 STA

Q2: Eat Paleo 5 days per week = 3 CON

Q3: Go to gym 3x/week = 1 STR & 1 DEX

LQ: Have 3x social interactions per week = 2 CHA & 1 WIS

2. Mid Challenge Summary:

Q1: Walked 5k 3 days a week = D (45%)

Q2: Ate paleo 3 days/week = B (60%)

Q3: Went to gym 3 days/week = A (100%)

LQ: Had 3x social interactions per week = A (100%)

3. Challenge allocation:

Q1: D (45%) = 0.9 STA

Q2: B (60%) = 1.8 CON

Q3: A (100%) = 1 STR & 1 DEX

LQ: A (100%) = 2 CHA & 1 WIS

4. Signature:

STR 1 | STA 0.9 | DEX 1 | CON 1.8 | WIS 1 | CHA 2

• Like 3

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Yaaay! leveled up :D Got 3 STR / 1 STA / 1 DEX / 4 CON / 0 WIS / 0 CHA

1. Goal allocation:

Q1: BBWW 2x/week = 2 STR & 1 STA

Q2: 5 Tibetan yoga rites every morning = 1 STR & 1 DEX

Q3: Eat paleo 1 day/week = 1 CON

No alcohol = 2 CON

Eat proteins 2x/day = 2 CON

Q1: Did at least 2 BBWW each week = A (100%)

Q2: Did yoga every morning = A (100%)

Q3: Ate paleo 1x/week = A (100%)

2 weeks alcohol free = C (66%)

Ate proteins twice a day = A (100%)

3. Challenge allocation:

Q1: A (100%) = 2 STR & 1 STA

Q2: A (100%) = 1 STR & 1 DEX

Q3: A (100%) = 1 CON

C (66%) = 1 CON

A (100%) = 2 CON

Dancing Sylph - Level 9 Monk/Druid

Former Captain of the Nerdians of the Fitalaxy

Current Challenge

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" - We came forth, and once more saw the stars, Dante

Thanks Blaidd, both for the +1 STR on the Week 2 dungeon and for the very nice explainer on the Real Life Roleplaying! =)

Annnnd... ding!

1. Goal allocation:

Q1: 3x Strength Workouts/week = 2 STR

Q2: 3x Weapon Sessions/week = 2 DEX & 2 STA

Q3: 4x 16-Hour Fasts/week = 2 WIS & 1 CON

LQ: Update challenge thread at least 1x/week = 1 WIS

Q1: 3x Strength Workouts/week = A (100%)

Q2: 3x Weapon Sessions/week = B (80%)

Q3: 4x 16-Hour Fasts/week = A (100%)

LQ: Update Challenge Thread at least 1x/week = A (100%)

3. Challenge allocation:

Q1: A (100%) = 2 STR

Q2: B (80%) = 1.6 DEX, 1.6 STA

Q3: A (100%) = 2 WIS & 1 CON

LQ: A (100%) = 1 WIS

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Goal allocation

• Q1. I will reach out to a friend at least once a week. +1 CHA
  • Q2. I will walk two miles at least 5x/week. +1 STR +1 DEX  +1 STA
  • Q3. I will stick to the elimination diet that will help me find out whether I have a food allergy. +3 CON
  • LQ. I will find five things every day to be thankful for. +1 WIS

Mid-challenge summary

• Q1. I am reaching out, hard though it is. 100%
  • Q2. I’m walking THREE miles a day, and doing yoga too! 100%
  • Q3. Have kept to the diet and have less than a week to go. 100%
  • LQ. I keep forgetting to sit down and do a gratitude list. 0% 

Challenge allocation

• Q1. A (100%) +1 CHA
  • Q2. A (100%) +1 STR +1 DEX  +1 STA
  • Q3. A (100%) +3 CON
  • LQ. F (0%) 0 WIS

This was a good midpoint check-in and shows me clearly where I'm falling short! 

• Like 3
Level 10 Ranger | Respawned
Challenges 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Peers: Chronologically Blessed

Goal allocation

• Q1. Track my food. +3 CON
  • Q2. Do some activity. +2 STR
  • Q3. Take time for myself. +2 WIS / +1 STA
  • LQ. Sketch Daily. +1 WIS / +1 CHA

Mid-challenge summary

• Q1. Tracked all my food! 100% A
  • Q2. I've done activity and fit it in where I could, but need to put more priority! 88% B
  • Q3. I stil struggle with this. I've done some daily, but not a full 30 minutes through the day. 72% C
  • LQ. I nutured my artist side a few times throughout the challenge, but it falls to the wayside. 66% D

Challenge allocation

• Q1. +3 CON
  • Q2. +1.8 STR
  • Q3. +.5 WIS / +.6 STA
  • LQ. +.5 WIS / +.5 CHA

+1 WIS from last week's challenge. And I have to agree with Minna - this was a great way to see where I'm at. I feel confident in my food tracking/consumption, and really need to focus more on taking care of myself and my art. It is a great wake-up call, and I'm going to start making some adjustments to my schedule to make time for me :)

Level 1 Half-Orc | Class : Undetermined

STR 1.8 | STA 0.6 | DEX 0 | CON 3 | CHA 0.5 | WIS 2

MFP

Battle Log | NF Challenge #1 | #2

Femme Fatales

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines