Spider-Dan Rises

Spider-Dan

Hi gang! I'm going to be in China for the first 2 weeks of this challenge, so this should be very interesting. 

I'm continuing my Main Quest of 8% BF. I'm planning to back off my running now that TM is done and concentrate more on lifting and martial arts (a little running on the side). I have the possibility for big changes in my life soon, so this challenge is going to partially deal with that. 

Main Quest - 8%BF

Challenge 1 - PLP Challenge (+2 STR +3 STA)

Challenge 2 - Finish learning Yili system while in China (+3 WIS +2 DEX)

Challenge 3 - Develop a new form pattern for my school. (+3 WIS +2 CHA)

Life Goal - New Business Plan

and here... we... go!

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

WHOOO! More people doing PLP! Awesome!

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate coming up, so best of luck!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Ok, I'm back everybody! What a fantastic trip.

1) First thing I have to say is I redeemed myself from my failure to pick up the language during my last challenge. I have plenty that I learned while I was there. Enough to get me around fairly well. 

2) Body fat on Saturday was 8.2%. woo hoo

3) Doing really well on PLP. Today is 33 reps. I started off with 9 pull-ups this morning. I'll hit my push-ups and lunges at work (cuz I can), and tonight I'll finish off my pull-ups in between other sets at the gym. 

4) I learned a lot in China. My teacher gave me some ancient Chinese secrets (literally). I cam home and practiced with my senior student and nearly dropped him in one punch with little effort on my part.

5) I did a lot of development work there including working on segments for my new form. Now I need to test those segments out on a partner to see if they are really applicable. After that comes sequencing.

• Like 1

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

Man, you get to actually develop kata/taolu for your system. That's so boss, man. Cool.

Good luck!

I am the senior instructor for my school and we are an independent school. As such we really do what we want. Before that comes off the wrong way, I'd like to make it clear that this doesn't mean we just do willy-nilly crap. My own personal journey has taken me through the Tae Geuk and Song Am forms sets in Taekwondo as well as the kata that come from the Shuri-te based systems of Karate (Naihanchi, Bassai, Wanshu, Kusanku, etc). One of my main instructors came through the Chang Hon (ITF) set as well as Pwang Gai Noon-ryu Karate (Naha based), so we have a robust pedigree of hard style martial arts before I even look at my Kung Fu training. 

As far as developing kata goes, it is very hard if you intend to produce something more than dance choreography. I myself have attempted to develop 7 or 8 forms over the years. Only 3 of those ever saw daylight as the others were failures. Of those 3 I really love 2 of them and have made subtle improvements to the 3rd over time to make it better. So, if successful this will be the 5th official form of our system (there is 1 that we already practice that was developed by my teacher). It has been about 9 years since I wrote my first one, so this isn't something I just throw together in an afternoon.  :playful:

Our kata are a mixture of skill building sequences (elements where they must practice careful shifting of stance and/or balance), and practical combative technique. Not every element is intended for combat use (at least not the way I write it), but the majority are. 

I should be specific about my goal on learning the system:

My Kung Fu system is an art synthesized through Xingyiquan, Taijiquan, and Baguazhang being combined with a basic Shaolin system called Baixingquan. It has elements of each of these as well as some elements that are only within the product system itself as they are a melding of ideas from the other systems. As such the main balance of curriculum can be found in the following sets:

Empty Hand Forms (* indicates something I have learned and can perform)

Diyi Guan Nien *

San Bao Quan *

Gan Ba Hu *

Lien Huan Wuxing *

Jiju Taiji *

Lien Huan Bagua

Tu Xing Quan *

Tien Xing Quan *

Shui Xing Quan *

Hua Xing Quan *

Shan Xing Quan *

Mu Xing Quan *

Feng Xing Quan *

Jin Xing Quan *

Shih Ar Xing Xingyiquan *

Long Xing Baguazhang

Advanced Taiji (I don't know the name of this set in Chinese)

Weapon Forms

Dao 

Jien 

Quan Guan *

Qian

Conditioning and Qi Gong Forms

Qi Pan Rao *

San Biangcheng Yi *

While I was in China, my sifu gave me permission to teach the system. So, now I am preparing to start my senior student on the material. I still have a few more things to learn of the system though. 

Aw, man, that sounds so cool! It sounds so incredibly epic and ornate. Also, this business of creating form sounded pretty serious, although I had no idea that you'd done more than just the one.

Cooooool, and also, way to survive China and your trip in general. It sounds like you got a lot of good from it.

Aw, man, that sounds so cool! It sounds so incredibly epic and ornate. Also, this business of creating form sounded pretty serious, although I had no idea that you'd done more than just the one.

Cooooool, and also, way to survive China and your trip in general. It sounds like you got a lot of good from it.

Thanks, man. I suppose the form creation doesn't have to be serious. It is for me because I want to create something that is valuable enough to pass on. Made some great progress on this new form, too.

I am about halfway through PLP. Today is 40 reps. I am doing my pull-ups in 4 sets of 10 reps each. Push-ups are 1 single set, and same for the lunges.

Us to 44 reps and my Triceps are pretty sore. Interestingly, When I feel it is on the down phase of my Pull-Ups. hmmm. I had one day this weekend where I missed doing my lunges, and that was because I literally passed out from exhaustion on my couch and didn't wake up till the next morning. I had intended to do them after a few minutes of relaxing, but it is what it is. I think I will do them on a different day as an extra set just to say I did them.  

respectfully, I'm gonna push back on you a little bit with that. The underlying purpose of PLP is psychological. It's to remind yourself and convince yourself that your body is capable of more than you gave it credit for.

You probably could switch to doing lunges on a different day, and you'll probably see some benefit from having done so, and it's your body: if it tells you you need to do this, then you pay attention and do it. But at the same time, it's breaking with the fundamental reason behind what you're doing, and you will not get quite the benefit that you were promised.

It's your call, although as you're leaner than I am and more badass, you're free to disregard everything I say. :P

• Like 1

respectfully, I'm gonna push back on you a little bit with that. The underlying purpose of PLP is psychological. It's to remind yourself and convince yourself that your body is capable of more than you gave it credit for.

You probably could switch to doing lunges on a different day, and you'll probably see some benefit from having done so, and it's your body: if it tells you you need to do this, then you pay attention and do it. But at the same time, it's breaking with the fundamental reason behind what you're doing, and you will not get quite the benefit that you were promised.

It's your call, although as you're leaner than I am and more badass, you're free to disregard everything I say. :tongue:

Push away, brother. That's why we are all here, right? ;)

Also, there is no badass present here. Just another guy (a Spider-Guy).

Today is 47 reps.  Haven't missed anything since the other night, so I think I am okay. I am up to set of 12 on the pull-ups (new personal best). My BF tested at 7.9% this morning but I am gonna call BS on this one. I think it was a fluke. We will see what it says tomorrow. Again, I know the machine is not totally 100% accurate, but I REALLY think it was off today. Tonight is more writing time on the form, but I also have work to do on my costume. I decided to make a change to the way my Spidey suit comes together (invisible zippers instead of snaps), and I have to get the zippers on the pants tonight. 

Hahahahaha! Too true. Since this is my 6th Spidey costume I have a good idea of what is going on. However, with each new suit I try to get closer and closer to how it would probably be in the real world if Spider-Man had to actually dress himself and didn't have a team of handlers to assist. lol

• Like 1

I should be specific about my goal on learning the system:

My Kung Fu system is an art synthesized through Xingyiquan, Taijiquan, and Baguazhang being combined with a basic Shaolin system called Baixingquan. It has elements of each of these as well as some elements that are only within the product system itself as they are a melding of ideas from the other systems. As such the main balance of curriculum can be found in the following sets:

Empty Hand Forms (* indicates something I have learned and can perform)

Diyi Guan Nien *

San Bao Quan *

Gan Ba Hu *

Lien Huan Wuxing *

Jiju Taiji *

Lien Huan Bagua

Tu Xing Quan *

Tien Xing Quan *

Shui Xing Quan *

Hua Xing Quan *

Shan Xing Quan *

Mu Xing Quan *

Feng Xing Quan *

Jin Xing Quan *

Shih Ar Xing Xingyiquan *

Long Xing Baguazhang

Advanced Taiji (I don't know the name of this set in Chinese)

Weapon Forms

Dao 

Jien 

Quan Guan *

Qian

Conditioning and Qi Gong Forms

Qi Pan Rao *

San Biangcheng Yi *

While I was in China, my sifu gave me permission to teach the system. So, now I am preparing to start my senior student on the material. I still have a few more things to learn of the system though. 

All of this!  All of the awesome!  Sounds fabulous.  So glad you had an inspiring time in china.  YAY!!!!

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

Challenge After Action Review

Main Quest - 8%BF - Technically I got a readout of 7.9% one day, but I am not going to accept that. I think my standard will be I have to see 8.0% or less at least 2 readings in a week to consider this one done. 

Challenge 1 - PLP Challenge (+2 STR +3 STA)

A+   I am all over this one! I can now do at least 51 push-ups in a row (tonight is 52). I hit a new PR on Pull-Ups of 13 in a row. Lunges are going just fine, too. Those are the least difficult area. 

Challenge 2 - Finish learning Yili system while in China (+3 WIS +2 DEX)

B     I did manage to learn 2 whole empty hand forms and the start of a weapon form while I was there. I also got a lot of clarification on some of the forms I already knew, so that is great!

Challenge 3 - Develop a new form pattern for my school. (+3 WIS +2 CHA)

A     Really got a lot of creative time for this. I am pleased with the results overall. I'd call this one good other than I will spend this week making small tweaks to make sure the form finishes in the same place it started. 

Life Goal - New Business Plan

I got a lot of work done on this with my teacher, but I am not at the point of being "turn key" yet. I will have to pick this one up as part of my next challenge. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines