The Incredible Shrinking Juni0r83

Juni0r83

AHHH, I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date, with the NF Forum boards!

Okay, so clearly, I'm late to join in all the fun of this challenge, especially seeing as it is technically tuesday morning here (like 04:46).

Anyway, as the title suggests, I'm sticking with what's working for me. My goal for this challenge is to lose yet more weight. Specifically, another 6kgs. And because its already been Monday, I already have my weigh in: 118.4kg, and my goal therefore is 112.4kg.

How I intend to get there is barely changed also:

1) Strength train

2) Cardio

3) Eat Mostly Right

Couple of things are new though. Firstly, I will be progressing my strength training from my current bodyweight 5x5 program to a more traditional barbell 5x5 program. Perosnally, I like StrongLifts, so that's the one I'm going with. But because I love it here in the assassin's guild, I'm going to put a little more focus on acheiving my first pull-up. Anyone familiar with the SL program knows that there aren't any pull-ups in the routine, so that'll all be extra.

The cardio will be added to gradually over the next 6 weeks from just LISS, to a combination of LISS and HIIT.

And the eating right, well, that's still going to be based primarily on the IIFYM dieting style, because I'm actually really enjoying it, and I see no reason to mess with something that is working.

Okay, its a little rushed, and its lacking any flair whatsoever, but there it is, my challenge for the next six weeks. Wish me luck.

• Like 4

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

Body recomp / losing weight is a major assassin goal. Therefore you perfectly fit here (not that I want to discourage you from working towards pull-ups, they are awesome!).

And a day late is nothing, last challenge I was a week and a half late.The important thing is, that you started the challenge. ;)

• Like 1

the artist usually known as WALDGEIST

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Star Wars: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #5B, #6, #6B, #10, #11, #16, #17, (Current Callenge)

TeenWolf: #7

SHIELD: #8, #12, #13, #14, #15

Magicians: #9

"It's never too late, to become what you could've been!"

Not even late, really! Pull-ups and other bodyweight exercises are actually great accessories for something like StrongLifts, so adding in pull-up progression is a good idea anyway. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

So much love - thanks for the support on my reappearance guys.

So, got my first barbell workout done tonight, and I must say, I'm loving it.

obviously the workouts start at just the 20kg of the bar (except for rows and dead lifts that start at 22.5kg). Anyway, I'm just blown away by the thrill I got holding the weight of the bar in my hands. Although linear progression is still scaring the crap out of me, I'm excited to start adding weight, and find out just how strong I can get.

So workout A was Squat, Bench and Pendlay rows.

So Squat - 20kg 5x5

Bench - 20kg 5x5

Rows - 22.5kg 5x5

However, that wasn't nearly challenging enough for me to call it a workout, so I added some extra work until the weight does get challenging, just so I feel like I've done something. And here is that list:

Leg Press - 80kg (plus the weight of the sled, which I have no idea about) 3x10

Chest Press - 30kg on each side 8, 10, 9

Tricep Pull-down - 36kg 10, 8, 8

Lat Pull-down - 52kg 3x6

Plus I did 10 minutes warm-up on a treadmill, and 40 minutes at 5km and 3% incline on the treadmill at the end to burn some extra calories. Ooh, and I got to play around with box jumps for the first time ever. They have three heights at the gym I've just signed up for, but I don't know what they are. Anyway, I did a few jumps onto the middle one, to test my maximum height, with my wife checking the max. Then when I was confident I could do it, I did a single jump right up onto the tall box. Really proud of myself for that one. 

Anyway, went kind of crazy on the accessory work after my sl 5x5 workout because it was my first strength training session in a gym and not my home or a hotel room or at work. Plus it was like 23:30, and there was no one else around, so I just got to play with everything, and see how I went. Lots of fun. But next time I don't want to let the whole thing last the 2 hours and 45 minutes. So yeah, like I said, went a little crazy, and had fun playing with all the cool new stuff. I am looking forward to Friday when I get to do workout B though, even if I know I'm going to hurt like hell tomorrow.

• Like 3

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

A plan that works is a plan worth sticking too! Give it Hell! ^^

• Like 1

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

Junior! Hi! :D 

Running rampant in the gym is what I'd wanna do every session, buahaha! Needless to say, I don't have a gym membership. I'd be a menace. That sounds like fun, and I'm sure you'll take to Stronglifts like fish swimming. 

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Yeah, wow, I'm sore. I'm kind of over the idea of accessory exercises at this point. But something tells me I'll be doing more tomorrow because I can't help myself. 

Anyway, I was back into the gym today doing some HIIT, and considering that following my weight training, all I could think was "that was fun", but after my HIIT today, all I could think was: "dear god that was hard." So, yeah, my fitness is clearly a problem. 

Anyway, tomorrow is Workout B. Can't wait!

**additional note**

I got up this morning (afternoon, I've been seriously sleep deprived of late, and now that I've got an actual day off, I'm going to get some sleep!), and found this still waiting for the post button to be hit. Damn. 

• Like 2

Dwarf Warrior

Junior! Hi! :D

Running rampant in the gym is what I'd wanna do every session, buahaha! Needless to say, I don't have a gym membership. I'd be a menace. That sounds like fun, and I'm sure you'll take to Stronglifts like fish swimming. 

And you post while I'm not watching! 

Really good to hear from you again. 

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior

Stupid scales.

We're having a lot of trouble getting consistent weigh ins from our scales. So we went to buy a nice mechanical scale. And it turns out that we weigh more than 120kg (both my wife and I), and thats a problem because its the maximum weight of the only mechanical scale we could find.

Anyway, the scale at the gym showed us something like that (122.something for me) fully clothed. So we're going to weigh ourselves there each day now (after our workout for best possible results), until it shows us less than 120 kg. Then we'll buy the mechanical scale. But it means my current weight is not accurate. Damn. But I'll take whatever weight I get on Monday, and aim to lose 5 from that point in the next 5 weeks. But it'll mean my epic quest goal will be set back as well. Which also sucks.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I have to say for today. I might make another post tonight after the gym, let you know how workout B went.

Dwarf Warrior

You could also use a measurement tape measuring the circumference of your midsection. I know, your measure goal attainment by kg, but that way you have at least some results to stay motivated even without access to a functioning scale. Also, especially when you progress further in your quest, that'd be a better way to measure your success anyway. Becaus from a certain point onwards you stop loosing weight (you might even gain more again) although you're still loosing fat.

• Like 1

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Star Wars: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #5B, #6, #6B, #10, #11, #16, #17, (Current Callenge)

You could also use a measurement tape measuring the circumference of your midsection. I know, your measure goal attainment by kg, but that way you have at least some results to stay motivated even without access to a functioning scale. Also, especially when you progress further in your quest, that'd be a better way to measure your success anyway. Becaus from a certain point onwards you stop loosing weight (you might even gain more again) although you're still loosing fat.

I actually do take a waist measurement. And a hips, and a neck. And yeah, its been showing me progress. And as for the may stop losing weight at some point, while yes, I will, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon, especially seeing as I am over 120kg currently (theoretically anyway), and am only 5'10. 

Dwarf Warrior

Yeah, multiple measures of progress are always preferred, but sometimes you gotta take what you can get. As for HIIT, no matter what shape you are in, the end result is "Ughhhghuguhuhhh, that was hard" because the whole point of it is that you are working at SPRINT levels, so at or near 80-90% capacity. When your abilities improve, you have to scale up your effort as necessary to keep at that high threshold of effort. 

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

So that's why HIIT sucks so much. Awesome.

Okay, so workout B went great. And I did actually more accessory exercises this time. And it still took less time to be finished.

Squats: 22.5kg for 5x5

OHP: 20kg for 5x5

Dead lifts: 22.5kg for 5x5

Plus I did hamstring curls, leg extensions, lateral raises, lat pull downs and assisted pull-ups. Each for 3 sets. And then 40 minutes of cardio. Really good intensity to. Felt really good. And really exhausting.

And on to the next day.

• Like 2

Dwarf Warrior

Glad to see you back Junior. Don't worry about being "late" -- you were still here days before me. :D Subscribing for the awesome!

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

Monday.

So my diet was on track, with only a fraction over 1800 calories consumed. I'm actually not too strict on the diet (or at least my 1800 target), so long as I'm getting 2400 or less I seem to be losing weight (depending on which scales i use on the day), which matches my theoretical 2700 maintenance number. So any day I come in under 2000 tends to be a good day.

And my workout today was workout A.

Squats I achieved my 5x5 with 25kg and it still feels easy

Rows I achieved my 5x5 with 25kg and it also still feels easy

And bench was at 25kg and besides a few stability concerns (the bar is surprisingly hard to balance in my hands), but I still got my 5x5 without feeling like I'd actually worked my muscles.

So I did accessory exercises again. I actually can't wait to not need these.

Dumbell press, 17.5kg dumbells, 16,12,12

Leg press, 126kg, 15, 20, 20

And assisted pull-ups, 45kg of assistance, 7, 7, 9, which is a new PR, and I'm pretty happy with. Hopefully I can get this down to nearly nothing in the next 5 weeks and by next challenge be getting my first pull-up done!

After all this I did 40 minutes of LISS cardio, 6km/h at an incline of 1%.

Overall it felt like a good workout, and everything felt drained.

Finally, I weighed myself, fully clothed, and with a stomach full of water, 123.5kg. So I'm going to weigh myself every Monday under the same conditions, and hopefully I'll lose 5kg between now and the end of the challenge.

• Like 3

Dwarf Warrior

Ahaha, yeah I attempted HIIT once, with the mindset of "it's just jumping around, how hard can it be?" Oh boy, was I wrong. I only did it once!

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Ahaha, yeah I attempted HIIT once, with the mindset of "it's just jumping around, how hard can it be?" Oh boy, was I wrong. I only did it once!

Yeah, I have another session planned for tonight, but right now all I can think is "why me?"

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior

Yeah, I have another session planned for tonight, but right now all I can think is "why me?"

Because you have the inner strength to do it!

• Like 3

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Also because 15 minutes of sprint-y suck is better than an hour of slow suck.

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

Nice work on the lifting! It can be a drag to work through the easy stuff staring out, but your joints will thank you for it someday. -^

Also because 15 minutes of sprint-y suck is better than an hour of slow suck.

Amen to that!

• Like 1

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

Okay so, the planned HIIT ended up as another LISS. Basically I wasn't going to the gym until around 22:30 when my wife got home, but in the mean time I fell asleep on the couch, and was just far too groggy and exhausted to push through a HIIT session when we got to the gym. So rather than just give up on my cardio that day, I did LISS instead. Which still sucked but it was better than staying on the couch and falling asleep again.

And today was another workout B. Which meant more dead lifts! They're fun, even if they are taxing on my legs in an entirely different way to squats.

Today was also the first time I had someone who knows something about form critique what I was doing. Which was good, because the slight adjustment to my squats increased their difficulty considerably. I suppose that's the advantage of going to the gym during the day when the manager is around.

Also I got to play in the new equipment. It's this huge group functional trainer thing that looks almost designed for assassin badassery! There are like 10 different places to do pull-ups, 4 spots to attach things (the only two things I saw attached were dip bars and a box jump platform), plus monkey bars, and something to do with a mini trampoline, and places to hook up resistance bands, plus one end has adjustable safety rails and hooks for a barbell. So yeah, all round awesomeness there.

Onto the details of workout b.

Squats at 27.5kg - 5x5 still no problems, even with the tweaked technique

OHP at 22.5kg - 5x5 and my wife complained that I made it look too easy

Dead lifts at 27.5kg - 2x5 (only supposed to be 1x5, but my legs still felt really fresh so I did an extra set just for fatigue. Could have done more but was pressed for time)

The I went on to seated military press with 15kg dumbells. 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps. My delts were really drained by the end of the third set.

And I followed it up with assisted pull-ups, were I set yet another PR! 5, 5, 4 at 41kg of assistance. It's always good to see progress on my main exercise goal.

And I followed all that up with 30 minutes of cardio, and besides feeling very exhausted, the whole thing left me feeling really positive about my day.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior

Solid workout and good call in keeping in SOME form of cardio when HIIT wasn't gonna happen. :D

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

Because when you're done, you can say, "Look what I can do" :D

This post managed to escape being eaten by Tapatalk.

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines