• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lys

Lys: Mulligan

Lys   

I kinda, sorta participated in the last challenge, so I'm calling "mulligan!" and doing a first challenge again.

Here's "the sitch":

I'm starting week 9 away from home in the 2nd of 2 classes totalling 12 weeks. The 1st class (4 weeks) was in Colorado; this 2nd class is in Alabama and is close enough that I can go home occassionally: every other weekend is what my husband and I decided was most feasible for us.  I'm in a hotel room with a fridge and a microwave; slow-cookers, hot plates, etc are not allowed. I've started experimenting with the microwave--I seriously over-cooked some salmon, but it was still edible (a less fatty fish would not have been!).  My original goal was to get my 5K time to somewhere between 35 & 45 minutes.  In about 4 weeks I will be participating in a 5K followed (probably immediately) by a 2.5mi team challenge run. So the primary aspect of this new quest is to increase my endurance. Oh and I've been having shin pain in my left leg; it does decrease when I'm less stressed...

Recent run times:

3 mi -- 37:24 min, 39:03 min, 38:02 min

3.25 mi -- 41:04 min

3.50 mi -- 44:50 min

pace is between 12.5 & 13 minutes per mile

Quest: be able to run a steady 5.6 miles in 4 weeks (without injury). Walk breaks are allowed and planned. (I've been doing 60sec walk for every 8-10min of running.)

Goals:

1) Run 3x/week, increasing distance by 1/4 mi each run

This week: 3.5mi, 3.75mi, 4.0mi

Next week: 4.0mi, 4.25mi, 4.50mi

3rd week: 4.5mi, 4.75mi, 5.0mi

4th week: 5.0mi, 5.25-ish mi, 5.6mi

2) Go to bed by 10pm! (No FaceBook after 9:30pm!!)

3) Diet (the noun, not the verb): plan meals -- more fruits/veggies. Cokes no more than 8oz/day and fading out to 2-3 per week. Dang it, I forgot all about bringing a larger microwave safe bowl from home. I guess I'll buy one.

Life Quest: time management, I still need to work on that one.

Motivation: Team Points! (on the run) Completing something hard. Increasing self-trust & confidence.

• Like 2

Lys   

Thanks KingLeeroy; I'll check it out!

RE:MiniQuest--SMART Goals

Here are some questions to put your goals to the test:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Yes Is it reasonable? Yes

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? They all build Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? Well, there are other course requirements, but this is the one I will be focusing on most outside of class

3. Are your main goals realistic? Yes Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? I could, but this run is a course requirement, and it is timed. If I take too long, my team loses points, but I also know they'd rather lose points than have me get injured, so I'll try to be smart about how I push myself.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  Yes What will you use to track them? MapMyRun & my stopwatch

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? There is a shorter school minimum (our team is adding distance given to better build to the final run), which will still get weekly points, but my primary weekly goal is the longest run of the week. There is 'reward' for effort towards that goal.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? Illness and injury don't count against goal achievement in the short term (intervening weeks); there are allowances for the final run as well, if necessary.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? I hadn't expected any, but then I donated blood yesterday. That counted for one of my workouts this week; I didn't plan well today and didn't run, but I did do a brisk 2mi walk. Tomorrow's first class involves running 2 miles. AFter that I need to re-plan this week's runs.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? No

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  Yes, but a little more detailed planning would be helpful.  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? Well,  2 additional habits, but they directly correlate to the main quest.

I also chose 1 of the 1 week challenges that Steve sent out a few days ago. I picked 3x10 pushups/day for a week. I did 2x10 yesterday, so I did an extra set today. Sometimes they're modified push-ups, and sometimes they're full length. I think I'll do 3x11/day next week.

• Like 2

Blaidd   

It's hard trying to do a challenge out of a hotel, but you seem to be ok for now.  Have you tried finding a place nearby that has healthy foods you could eat?

You might notice that i've added a Scouts' tag to your thread.  This isn't to pigeonhole you into particular guild, but rather to bring one of their ambassadors here to offer you encouragement, support or advice.  Your goals this challenge fit well with the overall spirit of their guild and you are more than welcome to pop into their Tavern and introduce yourself to them.  You are also more than welcome to pop me a message anytime. 

Good Luck

AB xx

• Like 1

Lys   

Well, this week's schedule, including donating blood, has thrown a wrench into my 3-run plan for upping my distance. Tomorrow morning, though, I'll go do another 3.5 miler & aim to do ~3.75 on Sunday. Or maybe Saturday if I don't push too hard tomorrow. As for cooking salmon in the microwave, I've just about got it down. It would be nice to be able to saute my onions first, but, well, microwave--which is up above the counter, so I can't see my food as it's cooking, I'm not that tall. Anyway, I've been keeping up with the push-ups, and the Coke limit has averaged out over the course of the week...so far. :peaceful::moon:

• Like 1

Lys   

This (past) week's running plan: 3.5mi, 3.75mi, 4.0mi

This (past) week's reality: Monday, donate blood; Monday afternoon, 2.3 mile walk, 18:53 min/mile, ~38 minutes;

Tuesday, 2.0 mile walk, 16:39 min/mi, ~34 minutes;

Wednesday, team challenge--2 1 mile runs, the first was start and stop about 15 minutes, the second was 12 minutes <10 minutes (no wonder it was so hard!) and I started too fast, it was a really hard mile to run, but my whole team was behind me--literally, except for one guy next to me--the entire way. Because it was a class event, it didn't count for PT. :-(

Thursday was another team even that involved a fair amount of running, mostly sprinting. Hmm, how was I going to get my "planned" runs in?

Friday morning I finally did the 3.5 mile run in 45:36 min (13 min/mi) with a half mile walk to warm-up at the beginning. (So total distance was 4 miles, total time 56 min)

Sunday night (tonight) I did the 3.75 mile run in 51:08 (13:38 min/mi); again a half mile warm-up plus a quarter mile cool-down. (total distance 4.5 miles, total time 1:06:30 hrs)

I also accomlished the push-up challenge. There were a couple of days when I only got in 2 sets, but I did 4 sets the next day each time, so they still averaged 3 sets/day.

My legs kind of hurt, but the pain in my left shin is all but gone; now it's more like a calf cramp. I did notice tonight some soreness along the inside of my right shin, so my first run this week will be another 3.75mi. Fortunately my team's weekly goals exceed the school requirements, so there's some cushion there.

I did ok with the bedtime goal at first but then forgot about it, especially over the weekend. (Well I missed last week's Doctor Who and the first half of last night's so of course I had to wait till 10pm to watch them both and get caught up!).  I just made a couple of reminder notes and taped them up. I also reset the push-up goal: now it's 3x12 every day; still any kind of push-up.

I've been ok with the food, mostly focusing on the Coke decrease. I bought some more little ones (7.5 oz) to help me not buy the full-sized cans (12oz).

Edited by Lys
  • Like 2

Nice job on the running, be careful with your shins, shin splints are a common running injury, make sure to get that water in as well after wards it totally helps :)

Good luck in week 2!

Lys   

I learned more about the team challenge for my class today. I need to work on speed! I need to knock off 3 minutes from my 5K run time! On the less scary side, I learned that after the 5K portion of the challenge there will be a period of time of no to minimal running before the 2nd running part. And there are all sorts of ways to adjust the overall team run time. For example, each pushup and situp I do over a minimum number decreases my run time by 1 second--not that I'm going to be able to do 3 minutes worth of extra pushups and situps, not even close! But there are other ways as well. And I have about 2 weeks to work on it.

So instead of working on increasing my distance, I'll be working on increasing my speed. We have a 5K run tomorrow morning, so I'll use that as my base.

Goal: 5K in no more than 38 minutes.  That's a 12:15 minute/mile pace. Currently I'm running 13 - 13.5 min/mi. At the moment I don't have specific plans for achieving this goal.

Lys   

3 mile run this morning in 35:29! :onthego:

I only walked a little bit at the top of the big hill ~mile 2.5. (It's easier to keep running when you can hear the back-of-the-pack car behind you; yes, I was last. BUT I could usually see at least 2 people ahead of me, so yay.)

My time to beat for the 5K is 38 minutes, so some speed work and using Rock My Run (even though the skips in the musics mess up my pace; are the skips there b/c it's a free playlist?) will help me make sure I get done in time.

Lys   

3.1 miles this weekend. Hilly! I don't think there was a flat 1/4 mile anywhere on that route! But I still finished in 38:34min. That was Sunday; yesterday I walked 2 miles. I'm waiting for my workout clothes to dry so I can go running again. 1 more week till the challenge!

I also did 3 set of 15 pushups and situps most days; I did miss a couple of days and so did 6 sets each on Saturday. This week the target is 3x18 each. I have cucumber-tomator-mozarella salad waiting in my fridge. Been doing ok with the Cokes except for Friday and Sunday when I drove home (Fri) and back (Sun) to school and had ~20oz each way. (2 more weeks then I'm done!) I need to strengthen my commitment to go to bed on time.

MiniDungeon Week 3 challenge: (copying here so I don't lose it)

So your challenge for this week has 3 parts:

1. Pinpoint the quest in your journey that is giving you the most uphill (or one that you're struggling to achieve)

2. Search through NF (forums or articles) to find one that is able to offer some assistance

3. Apply it to your challenge (no collecting underpants here).

Example:

1.  I'm having a hard time sticking to a paleo diet because I can't find affordable recipes that I like. 

2.  I found this thread about how to diet on a budget and this recipe thread.

3. I followed the advice, sat down and made a meal plan, then put together a grocery list and went shopping. Surprisingly I was able to spend less than $20 on a week's worth of food and because the crockpot does all the cooking for me, I didn't even miss my workout.

For completing this challenge, you will get a stat point as per the quest you have identified (I will let you know which stat point you get in this thread) to be allocated at the end of the challenge.

• Like 1

Hey Lys!

Sounds like you are doing a good job on your exercise keep it up!

I hear you on tough sticking to paleo, it does get expensive. I have definitely given up other things to buy healthier food. Well done on finding ways around it though.

How are things going this week? xx

Lys   

Wow, time flies! I meant to catch up last week, but it got busy. Some of the busy was reading a book for fun and hanging out with my classmates a few more times before the end of class.... I haven't even done the Week 3 mini challenge yet.

I nailed the 5K last Tuesday 34:54min, knocking more than 3 minutes off my projected time (based on a 1.5mi run time * 2.2) and cranked out the push-ups and sit-ups, I don't remember how many. Now I'm home, finally, and enjoying having a stove! Yay! And a crockpot and an oven. 

I bought new running shoes and took them for a quick run on Thursday. Due to a delay it wasn't an easy quick run. My calves and shins are still quite tight; I took a walk today, and that seems to have helped some. So now I need to schedule and plan for a fitness test. That should take me through the end of this challenge, I think. ?? I'll keep doing push-ups and sit-ups too.