Plus nobody wants to read a challenge thread called "Recovery time and other events where I move slower than normal."

If you're not using it can I steal this please?

• Like 2

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Burpee form in the race is always questionable.  It's not about being a perfect burpee - it's about being done as quickly as possible.  But, the rule is chest to the ground and feet off the ground on the way up - doesn't have to be far off the ground - just off the ground.

I was just looking at some videos from old races and noticing burpee forms. I thought, "That looks way more efficient that what I'm doing". I mean, hopefully, I keep doing fewer and fewer burpees in these races and not worry about it, but I can see how for speed's sake, these follow the letters of the rule and let you burn through them quickly.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Yeah, there is a difference between good form burpees for exercise, and good form burpees for speed efficiency. 

And, you can be more efficient without cheating.  No chest to the ground?  Cheating.  Painted Warrior posted a blog and in it he says that if you aren't doing a push-up, you are cheating.  I disagree.  You can go chest to ground and get to your feet w/o an actual push-up being in the mix.

• Like 2

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Yeah, there is a difference between good form burpees for exercise, and good form burpees for speed efficiency.

And, you can be more efficient without cheating. No chest to the ground? Cheating. Painted Warrior posted a blog and in it he says that if you aren't doing a push-up, you are cheating. I disagree. You can go chest to ground and get to your feet w/o an actual push-up being in the mix.

Kind of like there are lifting techniques to maximise lifting efficiency vs muscle gain. My Spartan burpee form is abysmal but it meets all the criteria and I can do 30 in less time than most people do 10. (Not the elites of course...)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

I'd say runner are all crazy mofos...

But I think we all know that is true.  Especially NP runners. :P

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Yeah, but it's a good crazy. Like crazy Uncle Ed. Dude's nuts but everyone wants him around because he's a hell of a lot of fun.

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Yeah, but it's a good crazy. Like crazy Uncle Ed. Dude's nuts but everyone wants him around because he's a hell of a lot of fun.

That's easy for you to say. You didn't have to hose him down and give him the kiss of life after he crapped his pants and passed out in the garden at the BBQ.

• Like 1

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

You hosed him off before the kiss of life, right? Gotta have standards, even with Uncle Ed.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Heyy-ooooo!

Alright, so - yes, I still owe the final portion of the Beast recap.  I haven't forgotten - at. all.

In the meantime, this week has been... alright, I guess.

Woke up on Monday morning to head to Destination Deck with NP.  Parked at the Stadium and ran the 2 miles over to meet up with the crew at MIT.  On the way there, this is what I got to enjoy.

yeah... ridiculous, right?

at MIT, we did a kick-ass circuit involving sprints/strides, burpees, hands-to-elbows planks, and sit-ups.  Ran along the river on the way back for another 2.5.  

Tuesday, met up with my 6@6 crew and banged out 6 with an average pace of 7:49.

10622864_842583454260_456058951840346734

Yeah.  We are ridiculous.

And, then - this morning I hit up the Stadium for a #Frogman1.  Frogman1 is the name of our workout when we push for 50 sections.  As you can imagine, it can be pretty brutal.  But, I PR'd all over that bitch this morning with a 42:50.  Sub-40 is in my sights now...

Also, I got to start next to the gimp from Pulp Fiction this morning.

10624826_10103281932542679_9145412962184

Don't ask...

And, this afternoon, I'm kicking off my new strength training routine.  And, I'm slightly excited for it.

• Like 4

Alright? The week's been alright? Ridiculous sunrise, spectacular circuits, running along the river, 6@6, Frogman PR, bring out the Gimp and new strength training routine. And that's alright? I love your high standards. A good week for you might be mind-blowing for other folks. :D

• Like 1

You hosed him off before the kiss of life, right? Gotta have standards, even with Uncle Ed.

Which part do you kiss when administering the kiss of life ??

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Which part do you kiss when administering the kiss of life ??

I've found the cold water in the hose is usually enough bring him back around without doing much more.
  • Like 1

Also, I got to start next to the gimp from Pulp Fiction this morning.

10624826_10103281932542679_9145412962184

Don't ask...

So.  Many.  Tights.

Seriously.  So many tights were worn this morning.  I still don't get it.  But I'm usually half asleep when I do Stairs anyway...

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Now that you mention it, there are a lot of tights there. What were the temps in Boston this morning?

Haha.  Today, was dubbed Mandex Day at the stadium.  From the FB group description:

We've sporadically seen some dudes rocking awesome spandex! But you know what would be even more awesome? A bunch of dudes rocking awesome patterned spandex!

With the start of fall and the Halloween costume season, I thought it might be fun to have a men's spandex, or "mandex" workout day at the stadium. Do your online research, find the best pair, and let's show the ladies of NP that we can rock the crazy spandex way better than them!

Feel free to invite other NP guys to the group. Try to keep it on the DL from the ladies if possible though...

Now, to be fair... I attempted to participate in this and ordered a pair 3 weeks ago.  They were sent via China Post and I am still waiting for them.  Whaaa whaaaa whaaaaa.

So, apparently, I didn't order early enough.  Bastards.

Only other pair of spandex that I currently own are straight up black.  Which I primarily use only when it is below 20Ëš outside (much to the chagrin of my girlfriend, family, and some friends), and was not in the spirit of the day.

• Like 1

Haha.  Today, was dubbed Mandex Day at the stadium.  

EVERY DAY IS LESBIAN LOVER MANDEX DAY

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Oh man this crazy old dude at my gym would fit in so well on Mandex day!

Also, please tell us more about the strength training program you're starting! I'm always curious what strong runners (aka you) do weights wise and how you fit it in around running.

Work week hasn't really allowed me to fully start-up my new weight training routine.  I'm starting a fresh week on Monday & will be bringing it hard all week next week.

I go back and forth between HIIT, heavy weight-low rep, and high rep-lower weight work.  The next several weeks leading up to the Fenway sprint will be focused on the high rep work.  I'll post some of the details as I begin to work it in.

After Fenway, I'll probably work in a 6-8 week cycle of heavy weight-low rep work for those cold winter months.

• Like 1

Mandex and weight training FTW!

Proud of your PRs!!! Still jealous of PR pig bc that's really cute.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Tin Man!!!!!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Mandex and weight training FTW!

Proud of your PRs!!! Still jealous of PR pig bc that's really cute.

PR pig only shows up once a month.  But, I prefer PR'ing more than that when possible.

I almost died laughing. And I know the context.

Also hai I found you.

Right?  It's freaking funny!

And, it's about damned time.

Tin Man!!!!!!

Seriously!  What a slacker.

The gimp freaks me out but the rest of it is awesome.

Does anyone have grassroots tights?? You might need some of those.

There are dudes with grassroots tights.  I'm not sure what the official stance is on the tights.  After the first summit, they got a bit concerned with how the logo was being sported.  Also, the white paint just doesn't seem to adhere the same as black.  But, I may throw my tights into the mix in the next couple of months and see how it goes.  Nothing really to lose.  It's not like I'm going to stop wearing them if the paint starts coming off weird.

Also, this week has been weird for me.  Not training-wise, that's been going pretty standard.  Just life-wise, it's been one of those weeks.  As a result, my sleep has been a bit off.  And, this morning I was pretty tired when my alarm went off at 5.  And, well... I posted this to The Breakfast Club.

This morning was one of those mornings that I was extremely grateful to be a part of this group. If I had to run by myself this morning, it would have been *very* easy for me to roll over and say "screw this." Instead, I knew that I was meeting up with awesome people and that my day would be infinitely better just for showing up. And, had I rolled over, I would not have met Craig, enjoyed the site of the moon over the reservoir as the sun was rising, or had an awesome run with Harry & Craig. So, thanks y'all. I'm glad you are here!

So... training with people for the win.

10517482_10204590051889229_1593621954478

• Like 2