Also, this week has been weird for me.  Not training-wise, that's been going pretty standard.  Just life-wise, it's been one of those weeks.  As a result, my sleep has been a bit off.  And, this morning I was pretty tired when my alarm went off at 5.  And, well... I posted this to The Breakfast Club.

So... training with people for the win.

That is pretty awesome. I really need to find me a running group like this when I start running again. that is exactly what having good friends should do for you- make you better than you would be on your own.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

That is pretty awesome. I really need to find me a running group like this when I start running again. that is exactly what having good friends should do for you- make you better than you would be on your own.

I would go so far to say that the people you want in your life are the ones that make you a better version of yourself. People that challenge and inspire you are the ones you want to keep close.

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

I would go so far to say that the people you want in your life are the ones that make you a better version of yourself. People that challenge and inspire you are the ones you want to keep close.

Yeah ^^^^^^ this.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm crazy jealous of your running group! But I'm always afraid I'll be way too slow if I run with other people.

NO!!!! Don't be. The beauty of a good running group is that there are a variety of paces. Yes, we have a pack that generally runs 7-8 min miles. But, we also have a pack that runs 11 min miles. And people in between.

Also, there are times that you will surprise yourself because you will run faster than you thought was within you, just because you are running with someone else.

• Like 3

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Listen to Ska. Because if there is someone out there having fun, it's him.

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Is that why he seems to be smiling all the time?

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

NO!!!! Don't be. The beauty of a good running group is that there are a variety of paces. Yes, we have a pack that generally runs 7-8 min miles. But, we also have a pack that runs 11 min miles. And people in between.

Also, there are times that you will surprise yourself because you will run faster than you thought was within you, just because you are running with someone else.

Yeah it's still 110% the reason I don't join a running group, although I know you're right when it comes to running faster with others than when you're alone! It's nice to have somebody else set the pace and you just follow.

But there are a ton of meetups in the area (benefit of living in a large city I suppose) so I should look into finding one.

bow chicka

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I'd like to point out that the above photo was taken this morning.

In the middle of October in New England!  CRAZY warm weather right now.  I'm sure it will not last.  But, I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

If anyone is going to be shirtless, it's Ska.

Wait.  What?

Ironically, I'm still a bit weird about running shirtless.  I have no idea why.  But, this morning... there was no way I was running in a shirt.  70Ëš+, 100% humidity, at 6am, in the dark, in the middle of October??  Fuck yeah!

Wait.  What?

Ironically, I'm still a bit weird about running shirtless.  I have no idea why.  But, this morning... there was no way I was running in a shirt.  70Ëš+, 100% humidity, at 6am, in the dark, in the middle of October??  Fuck yeah!

RP will attest how hilarious I thought it was that the running group's photo on FB also has you shirtless. I am sure it is just coincidence because I have seen you fully-clothed more often than not. 

That sounded weird.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

RP will attest how hilarious I thought it was that the running group's photo on FB also has you shirtless. I am sure it is just coincidence because I have seen you fully-clothed more often than not.

That sounded weird.

Tin Man FTW! BWAAAAA HAAA HAAAA

• Like 2

I AM going the distance

That sounded weird.

Fully clothed, yet rarely in things beyond workout gear.

Seriously, I still find it strange when I see you in regular clothing.

That also sounded weird.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

So, it's been a while since I've done any speed work to speak of and I haven't raced anything "fast" in a while, so I decided to jump into a little local 5K on Sunday morning to get a gauge of where I am and what I need to work on.

It was a nice course, 2 miles of which are on road, and one mile on dirt road/trail.  

I went out fairly fast and was through the first mile in about 6:00 mins.  That's a bit faster than I was planning, but not bad.  But, my second mile was definitely feeling it up and over some slight hills, I felt like my glutes were tightening up on me.  Coming down the stretch, I didn't feel like I had the kick that I wanted and couldn't catch the dude in front of me.  I wish I had, however.  Once I saw the results posted, I realized that had I been able to catch him, I would have finished first in my age group.  Doh!

But, anyway - I finished 13th out of 365, and 2nd in my age group in 20:10.  My watch had me at 20:08, and the timing system being used was only the gun time, so who knows.  2 seconds either way.  Either way, fastest 5K of the year and a PR for this iteration of my running career.  19 minutes - I'm coming for you.  

My next 5K race will be (if all goes according to plan) in two weeks.  However, that's my fun hilly cross country race on an apple orchard that I did last year.  I'm certain I will not have a sub-20 time at that race.  But, I will be looking for a vast improvement over last year's craptastic showing.

• Like 3

Summary of Ska's post: Ho hum, I guess I haven't done much fast running lately. I'll just saunter over to this 5K here and try it out. Meh, while I'm at it, I might as well make it my bitch, too.

Wow! Great run. A handful of seconds off of 20 minutes. You are really pulling in the times on these runs. I'm pretty impressed. And inspired. I'm going to store this all up for when I start running again.

• Like 1

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

I appreciate the take. 

However, I don't feel like I crushed it.  I did well.  And, it might seem like I am quibbling. But based on things I did during the race (that I shouldn't have done), I know that I could have done much better.  My attitude going in was too laissez faire, and I didn't have the killer instincts in place where I should have.  It's part of the process of learning to race, for sure.  It's also uncertainty of my abilities vs my competitors.  

So, basically, I feel that I could have done better - despite doing alright.

I appreciate the take.

However, I don't feel like I crushed it. I did well. And, it might seem like I am quibbling. But based on things I did during the race (that I shouldn't have done), I know that I could have done much better. My attitude going in was too laissez faire, and I didn't have the killer instincts in place where I should have. It's part of the process of learning to race, for sure. It's also uncertainty of my abilities vs my competitors.

So, basically, I feel that I could have done better - despite doing alright.

In the interests of solidarity, I think you suck as well ska. Try harder. *hugs*
  • Like 3

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

In the interests of solidarity, I think you suck as well ska. Try harder. *hugs*

*snort*  I'll add "you are hardly epic" and follow it up with

ASS SLAP!

(however it was a good run even if you lacked the killer instict.  Now go back to training and don't stop!)

I AM going the distance