Nananananananananananananananana, Annyshay!

annyshay

shadowtextphpechoQuotesAndSayings_3acf64

Main Quest – Become Resilient

People have accused me of becoming “consistent†over the last challenge.  Sadly, this remains a struggle for me.  Over the last few years, I’ve learned what works to keep me happy and healthy.  Far too often, I wander astray because I “deserve some time off†or want to pursue some shiny new method or goal.  Time to develop persistence and focus like Batman.  Time to bounce back from setbacks even stronger and wiser.  Time to become resilient.

(BTW, grading =       >90% - A      75-89% - B      50-74% - C     <49% - F)

1) The Training is Nothing! The Will is Everything!  The Will to Act! [+5 STA]

will-to-act.jpg

Doucard is right.  The will to act is how I will continue my daily training, including:

- pray and read the Bible

- prepare food

- play outside (walk, BWW three times per week)

- post on NF

- pause (meditate)

- plan for tomorrow

This is the big goal for this challenge - consistent will to develop a healthy, happy Batperson.

2) Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up. [+3 DEX]

why_do_we_fall__by_theofficialsmexy-d58l

Because sometimes falling is the only way forward, at least 3 times per week, I will develop the following skills…

- chin/pull up negatives

- bailing from handstands

- parkour rolls

3) I synthesized an antidote. [+3 CON]

4144347_std.jpg

I will counteract fear toxin (candy, junk food, baked stuff, work cafeteria “foodâ€, and other forms of emotional eating) with new antidotes.  Some ideas (feel free to suggest more)… 

- drink tea

- walk

- listen to a song on my iPod

- meditate

- find a joke on the internet

- animal pictures

- read inspiring quotes

- five deep breaths

Side Quest – I am the Night! [+2 CHA]

babybat580.jpg

For the last 2/3rds of the challenge, I’m going to be working a super wonky schedule – 16 hour overnight shifts every other night.  :P  I have enough trouble shifting my schedule, but this looks to be playing sleep on expert difficulty.  Here’s my plan to maximize the sleep that I can get, but expect adjustments

- while on days sleep 9pm-6am

- while on nights sleep – 9am-3pm

- nap sometime between 1-4am or sleep later on non-working days

- yellow glasses

- magnesium?

Life Quest – Build the Batcave [+2 WIS]

Batcave_2.jpg

My house and laptop are crammed to bursting with too much stuff.  I will spend at least 15 minutes per day to declutter, organize, clean, or otherwise improve my physical and digital batcave.

tumblr_mk6ky2CJfY1s52foyo5_500.jpg

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

Jackknife? Sounds intriguing.  Have pictures or videos?

I kind of limped into the challenge yesterday, literally.  Our grand backpacking adventure was amazing, but I managed to make my right knee quite angry.  So, I'm trying to ease back into things and leave time to recover while establishing my discipline.  Perfect conditions to work on my resiliency!

1) The Will to Act - completed everything except playing outside, which was a conscious choice for the benefit of my knee.  Instead, I iced it like a good bruised bat.  :)

2) Why do we fall? - not yet.

3) I synthesized an antidote - ate too much (homemade, delicious) banana bread, will need to be more mindful of this goal as I am coming off the carb high from hiking.

4) I am the Night! - went to bed at 10:15 and got up at 6:45, sounds like a yes to me!

5) Build the Batcave - mostly laundry and putting hiking stuff away

Day two, hopefully with less limping!  :D

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

Jackknife? Sounds intriguing.  Have pictures or videos?

I kind of limped into the challenge yesterday, literally.  Our grand backpacking adventure was amazing, but I managed to make my right knee quite angry.  So, I'm trying to ease back into things and leave time to recover while establishing my discipline.  Perfect conditions to work on my resiliency!

1) The Will to Act - completed everything except playing outside, which was a conscious choice for the benefit of my knee.  Instead, I iced it like a good bruised bat.  :)

2) Why do we fall? - not yet.

3) I synthesized an antidote - ate too much (homemade, delicious) banana bread, will need to be more mindful of this goal as I am coming off the carb high from hiking.

4) I am the Night! - went to bed at 10:15 and got up at 6:45, sounds like a yes to me!

5) Build the Batcave - mostly laundry and putting hiking stuff away

Day two, hopefully with less limping!  :D

No pictures of me, but there is one here: http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/pull-up-progression.html. It's #2 in the progression. I'm currently trying to figure out if I have any chairs that will work for this.

I can't get the picture to load, booo.

1) Will to Act - completed all my training yesterday, w00t

BWW - negatives/hanging, reverse crunches (10,10,10), push-ups (6,5,4), calf raises (10,10,10)

2) Why do we fall? - did 4 pull negatives, 4 chin negatives, and hanging as well as 5x per leg kick ups/bails and 4x per leg PK rolls (knees don't love them)

3) Antidote - drank tea and went for a walk instead of eating cake, had too much nuts and dried fruit at night

4) I am the night - slept from 10-6:20

5) Batcave - worked on cleaning the kitchen and organizing my inbox

It amazes me that my handstands backslide as much as they do, so it's time to get back to work.

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Interview day, ah!!

1) Will to Act - only accomplished half due to travel - pray, post, plan, and prepare meals (no outside, no meditation)

2) Why do we Fall? - rest day

3) Antidote - had some candy at the airport, ah well

4) I am the night - poor sleep due to travel midnight to 6:20, still, I slept through my mom getting up to feed the horses which never happens

5) Batcave - did some dishes and cleaned the kitchen before I left, also eliminated some of the excess magazines

So nervous. :/

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

Interview went well, I think. Strangely nostalgic being back at my alma mater, and it was cool that my previous attendings were so excited to see me. It was a long day though - 8 individual interviews, lunch conference, and then dinner with the current fellows. So much people time for this introvert. This has made today a very lazy morning. One interview down, two to go. :)

1) Will to Act - limited due to interviewing, but I meditated on the drive in (super helpful!) and posted in the morning

2) Why do we Fall? - rest day

3) Antidote - ate what was offered to me and tried not to stress eat too much

4) I am the night - slept from 10 ish to 6 ish

5) Batcave - not at home, really

Today I need to do some adulting, but first some well earned lazing. :P

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

Holy sh*t, those night shifts are going to be a real challenge. I think it's great you're setting up the rest of it so well, because with a good bat cave and better habits around food it'll be easier to survive. Good luck! :)

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Don't worry EG, I'm not a robot. I've been enjoying a bunch of fresh delicious brownies with my mom this weekend. (Sorry, KB) While I'm back home, I'm meeting with bunches of friends and family, so my diet is all kinds of suck. But! I am trying to make good choices and enjoy the bad ones. Lol!

1) Will to Act - woohoo back on track

Worked out at Hamlin beach park overlooking Lake Ontario - 5 pull up negatives/chin ups negatives/30 sec hanging, 5 assisted pistols/10 front kicks/10 front kicks, 5/5/5 regular push-ups, 10 sit-up cross punches

2) Why do we Fall? - negatives, 5 PK rolls per side - have a lovely bruise on my right shoulder, 10 kick ups per side - fell flat on my back and saw stars - but picked myself up :D

3) Antidote - enjoying various food with my family, made brownies, but eating fairly mindfully and not just eating all the things

4) I am the night - slept 11:30-7:30

5) Batcave - organizing my iPad a bit more, downloaded some apps I've been meaning to find

More nostalgic socializing today with middle school friends, mom, and grandparents. Yay!

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

1) Will to Act - did well today again. Brief workout including 50 lbs farmer carries for my mom x5, 10 kick ups per leg, 20 front kicks per leg, and 10 squat upper cuts.

2) Why do we Fall? - 10 kick ups per side

3) Antidote - not eating the best in the world, however, I avoided snacks with some tea :)

4) I am the night - slept 10:30-6:45

5) Batcave - sorted out finances and have a plan for saving for a possible down payment (!!!)

Flying to next interview in Minneapolis today. I'm sad to be leaving my family, but excited to keep moving forward.

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Belated Week 1 Update

begins5866865797ar2.jpg

1) The Will to Act - 6/7 - Not as bad as I thought if I give myself half credit.  Perhaps moving forward I can get back on track and stop being so hard on myself.  I am doing the best I can.  Progress, not perfection.

2) Why do we fall? - 3/3 - On track during the first week.

3) I synthesized an antidote - 2/7 - YIKES. Second week has started poorly too.  Time to start combating the fear toxin.

4) I am the Night! - 6/7 - managed to get 8 hours of sleep most nights and used my yellow glasses when I had to be on electronics late.

5) Build the Batcave - 4/7 - have been sort of lukewarm with this goal, time to get to work!

Mini-challenge - some walking, kicks, and punches     +1 STA

Discoveries

Time and people stress are a big deal for me

No cooking equals crappy eating

Social eating is my kryptonite

Carbs are addictive

I am still too hard on myself

Adjustments

Re-commit to my goals

No more crappy food

Progress, not perfection

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

This week has been going pretty crappy so far.  Interviews seriously messed with my Batman-ness.  My work schedule has been unexpectedly sucky.  My eating has been particularly horrible, and I haven't been keeping up with workouts as I'd like.  Please please please yell at me if I do not conform to my awesome goals starting tomorrow morning.  Seriously.  This is not acceptable.

1) Will to Act - I've been consistent with meditating and reading my Bible, but the rest has fell by the way side (1/3 point for 3 days = 1/3 so far this week)
2) Why do we Fall? - non so far
3) Antidote - crappy eating of crappiness  BOO :neglected:
4) I am the night - sleeping about 8 hours each night and using yellow glasses when needed
5) Batcave - haven't really done anything for the last three days

Blargh.  Bad mojo needs to stop.  Gifs, plz?

Love as thou wilt.

sooooo did you manage to conform to your goals by this morning?

no seriously though, how is it going?

even if you didn't hit your goals, showing up is kind of the most important way to be successful at nf. :)

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Great job on reading the Bible, even if other stuff doesn't happen, that one is the most important habit.

And gifs:

lego-movie-batman-in-cloud-cookoo-land-i

Thanks for the encouragement, EG.  I agree.

Also, this gif was perfect!

sooooo did you manage to conform to your goals by this morning?

no seriously though, how is it going?

even if you didn't hit your goals, showing up is kind of the most important way to be successful at nf. :)

Well, sorta?  I'm doing more things but not everything yet.  Also, we went to the big E which is a monstrous state fair for all of New England, so diet has not really corrected yet.  Still, I am here and I will continue to make slow and steady progress, even if that means just being kinder to myself and realizing that my priorities are not always about eating perfectly.  Hopefully, this isn't just excuses.  :nevreness:

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

1) The Will to Act - 3/7 - Did much better on Thursday and Friday (gif-powered!).  Was able to complete my basic tasks, read my Bible, prepare some food, and meditate which counted for the mini-challenge, w00t w00t.  It is cool that meditating has become such a natural habit for me.  :)

Thursday did BWW including push-ups (PVP), wall handstand, beast walk (mini-challenge), reverse crunches, negatives and holds.  Very free form, and quite a fun way to get back into moving.

2) Why do we fall? - 1/3 - Thursday did 5 pull up negatives, 5 chin up negatives, and ~60 seconds total of hangs.  Kicked up into handstands x10 per leg and bailed from wall handstand.  Did PK rolls x5 on each side.

3) I synthesized an antidote - 0/7 - Fear poison is strong stuff, yo.

4) I am the Night! - 5/7 - getting as much sleep as is possible... nights are coming...

5) Build the Batcave - 0/7 - been totally ignoring this, oops.

So, I am being sporadic, but I am trying.  I'm about to flip to the crazy night schedule of craziness with some interviews thrown in for fun.  Bleck.  So, the next week will be quite challenging.  Good thing I have all the rebels here to keep me going.  Rock the weekend, rebels, rock it!

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

My post deleted on me twice. I give up.

http://www.carrieandbrian.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/20140420-141232.jpg

Will to Act 5/7

Why do we fall? 2/3

Antidote and Batcave 0/7 - need to investigate why this is not a priority and refocus.

I am the Night! 5/7

Send me much sleep for tonight and lots of extroversion for the next two days. More really really long interviews.

Love as thou wilt.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines