Blaze

Getting a better grip on what I'm actually going for with this challenge, I'm modifying some stuff from my initial post.  

My Main Quest was kinda vague.  I mean, gaining muscle and losing flab is good, but there's got to be a way to measure.  I don't have the fat caliper pinchy thingies, and they make me feel inferior anyway, so I'm going to go with pictures, one to be posted shortly.

For Mission #1 - Be Stronger Than Your Excuses, I've got myself a lovely list of exercises to get better at, and even if it's boring, I'm going to keep at them for the full six weeks to see what improvement I can make in my initial numbers, to be posted tomorrow.

Mission #2 - Weight Watcher Reboot - is set to start tomorrow, since that's my first weigh-in with the new at-work group that I'll be joining, that meets during my lunch hour - which is awesome.  I'll report in my first planned small change for the week at some point tomorrow.

For Mission #3 - Snooze - there are no alterations - I managed lights out on time last night and coaxed myself out of bed at 6:45 as scheduled.  This arrangement should guarantee me somewhere around 7 hours of sleep per night, which is about the right amount for me to not be cranky next day.

As for my Life Quest, aka Mission #4 - Self Control, I've got Self-Control programmed with a blacklist of my main offenders.  I didn't put NerdFitness on the list because I figured I usually forget to post how I did on stuff until later at night.  So I'm leaving that available.  Facebook, Hulu, Netflix, Yahoo & MSN are out.  More may be added later, depending on what I find tempting me after hours.  I'm leaving YouTube off for now because if I want to do Poi lessons, I'll need it, but it may be too big of a temptation.  At 10:00 tonight I plan to set it off and maybe clean some stuff.  I've been rearranging furniture and trying to weed out all the crap in my apartment, and the project is coming along, but slowly.  My dad just called to say he found a nice small dining table for me, and I'm visiting him this weekend, so I need to sort out this corner full of crap that I had collected from other corners.  I have a lot of yarn for some reason.  

Here's an additional thought, I've got this calendar white-board that I got for previous challenges.  I think it's time to erase April and add in September and October so I can have a place to track progress.  Strength 3 times a week, choose and make a small change weekly, lights out by 11:30m and out of bed by 6:45 every work night, and Self-Control activated at 10:00 every work night.  

I don't know that I'm going to bother with the attribute points.  I've never been much of a gamer.  But I may reward myself for successfully completing my missions.

So on to the photo taking and strength-getting...  I'll report in soon.

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

The 10pm rule sounds really ideal. Hope you stick to it!

Personally, I've tried it a few times, but with very little success. I think for this challenge, I'll just break it down week by week, i.e. aim for an entire week of 10pm. If that works, do it the second week, and so on, until it becomes something I can't live without.

• Like 1

"An obstacle... is an opportunity." --Greg Bartholomew Strydom in Searching for Sugar Man.

Oops, just realized that instead of creating a new post with modifications from my original post, I accidentally completely changed my original post, but what it says is still mostly the same.  I went back and added in the Headers.  Read it at your leisure.  

My idea for a Strength plan that won't let me get bored comes from SparkPeople's Mix & Match workout.

Basically, I can choose one exercise from each of the four columns in this article.  I've chosen my four and I've written them below I'll do them three times a week for the six weeks of this challenge, tracking my progress in increasing reps or time as i go.  But then for the next challenge I'll pick a different set of four.  ^_^

My exercises are:  One-Arm Side Pushups, Modified Plank, Genie Sit, and Seated Dumbbell Concentration Curls.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

Oh gosh.  Pictures of me.  As promised by me, to me, and subsequently to whoever else reads this.  I really have never shown anybody my belly before.  It doesn't go on display.  I have lost over 30 pounds though, so I guess I can show off a little bit.  And hopefully at the end of December, or even at the end of this challenge, I'll be able to see some results on that 'Gain Muscle / Lose Flab' goal of mine.

It's 'eek' time.  

Photoon2014-09-16at222742.jpg

Photoon2014-09-16at22275.jpg

My measurements as of right now are:

Bust - 46

Chest - 38.5

Waist - 41

Hips - 45.5

Thigh - 24.75

Arm - 13.5

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

great challenge set-up! what is your schedule with your exercises? I personally have had a tough time getting mine in this week (worst week 1 ever!) but scheduling them out makes me feel more hopeful.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

I plan to do the Strength training 3 times a week, and I'm hoping I can restart my running program come October.  The hip has been feeling better though still kinda still, so maybe the strength and stretching will help condition the hip, and the rest of me, to return to running.

Tonight I got my baseline on each exercise.

Side Push-Ups (harder than they look) - I did 9 on each side in the first set, 6 in the second.  15 per side in all.  Level 2 will be 20.

Modified Plank - I held it for 1:06.  Level 2 will be 1:30.

Genie Sits (I really felt them in my thighs) - 8 on first set, 7 on the second.  Level 2 goal is 20.

Arm Curls (5 lb weight) - I did 25 per side in the first set, and again in the second, 50 per side in all.  It seemed...  easy?  But I think my arms will be sore tomorrow.  I'm going to slow down this move a little more to add impact, and Level 2 goal is 70 per side.

Front Kicks - I added these because of the mini-challenge and I just may keep them.  22 per side, first set, 18 per side, second.  Level 2 will be 50 kicks per side in 2 sets.  

I also posted on a couple other people's threads tonight and I'm following one for sure.  Might add others later on.

As for my Weight Watchers meeting...

Well, I don't know if it was a new site/new scale situation or not, but I lost 2 pounds since the last meeting and I'm now at 195.7, which feels pretty awesome.  So awesome that I ate half a pint of Frozen Chocolate Yogurt last night in celebration.  Okay, not my best choice.

So here's the small change I'm going to work on this week.  Weight Watchers focuses a lot on your 'spaces', the various environments you live and work in, and how to make them more friendly toward your WW lifestyle so that you make the better choices.  The kitchen is one of these spaces, and mine is currently a chaotic mess.  So, I will be cleaning out my pantry, frig, and freezer; removing anything that I shouldn't have around while organizing what's left so it's easy to find; and restocking on the good stuff, the smart choices.

I'll report in on that as I go along this week, through Tuesday.

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Progress Report:

Mission 1:  Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Did my 2nd round of five chosen exercises tonight.  Did better in some, worse in others, compared to the first 'baseline' workout on Wednesday.  I managed to Level Up in Genie Sits, however, and I'm close-ish on a couple others.  My plank was horrible tonight, but the whole point of this pain is to improve, right?  So let's see if I can improve - upgrade from 'horrible' to 'not quite so horrible when round 3 rolls around on Sunday night.

Mission 2:  Weight Watchers - Reboot
For reasons of a pipe leaking under my sink, which I did not notice for a while, drying out and cleaning up my bathroom has taken precedence over kitchen reordering over the past couple days.  I hope to tackle the cupboard on Sunday after the Packers tackle the Lions.  Saving the fridge and freezer for Monday or Tuesday.

Mission 3:  Snooze

I've been doing remarkably well on this, and even dropped my go to bed time to 11:20 on a couple nights (because the Life Mission gives me less to do after 10:00 so I get to bed easier), and consequently I've bumped my wake-up time a little bit too.  But I seem to have this natural 'snooze' function, where I wake up at 5 am, look at the clock and go back to sleep, wake up at 6, back to sleep, again at 6:18, style of thing.  I think my body doesn't want to miss the alarm so it's doing this early prep-work for actually waking up with the alarm.  I've technically got TWO alarms though.  One plays music that starts at very low volume and gradually increases, starting at around 6:35, so that when the real alarm goes off I'm sort of half awake anyway.  AND I've set up the winter light timer in my living room so as it gets darker in the mornings I still have this glow in the other room to remind me I need to get up now.

Life Mission - Self Control

I haven't been perfect with the 'exactly at 10 pm' thing, but close enough to count.  Turning on that program is very smart, even if it was just to block Facebook it would be a big help.  And I've gotten some stuff cleaned and organized and hauled out trash in the middle of the night, scaring my neighbors and what-not.  It's a good thing.  

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Oh gosh.  Pictures of me.  As promised by me, to me, and subsequently to whoever else reads this.  I really have never shown anybody my belly before.  It doesn't go on display.  I have lost over 30 pounds though, so I guess I can show off a little bit.  And hopefully at the end of December, or even at the end of this challenge, I'll be able to see some results on that 'Gain Muscle / Lose Flab' goal of mine.

It's 'eek' time.  

My measurements as of right now are:

Bust - 46

Chest - 38.5

Waist - 41

Hips - 45.5

Thigh - 24.75

Arm - 13.5

I want to say that I was about where you are now during my first NF challenge and have drastically changed over the past year. I'll have to post pics of that, because yes I used to be ashamed of my belly but with some dedication and persistence ... well there is a lot you can accomplish :)

Arm Curls (5 lb weight) - I did 25 per side in the first set, and again in the second, 50 per side in all.  It seemed...  easy?  But I think my arms will be sore tomorrow.  I'm going to slow down this move a little more to add impact, and Level 2 goal is 70 per side.

If you are looking to build strength I would suggest a lower amount of repetitions and a heavier weight.

Yes you will probably be sore because of all the lactic build up in your muscle or essentially fatigue, but high reps is not ideal for strength building.

I'll suggest this NF article because it explains things better than I ever could ;P

Really stinks about the pipe burst... water is literally the bane of all homeowners.

Good job this week. Keep it up!

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

I'm on the more pics of everyone please bandwagon too. I'll get mine up this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

I want to say that I was about where you are now during my first NF challenge and have drastically changed over the past year. I'll have to post pics of that, because yes I used to be ashamed of my belly but with some dedication and persistence ... well there is a lot you can accomplish :)

If you are looking to build strength I would suggest a lower amount of repetitions and a heavier weight.

Yes you will probably be sore because of all the lactic build up in your muscle or essentially fatigue, but high reps is not ideal for strength building.

I'll suggest this NF article because it explains things better than I ever could ;P

Really stinks about the pipe burst... water is literally the bane of all homeowners.

Good job this week. Keep it up!

Unfortunately, the heaviest weights I have at home are five pounders.  I suppose I could double-up and do 10 pound arm curls, see how that goes.  I do belong to a gym but I do not like the weights area - very testosterone-heavy environment.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I guess I'll make an 'Official Report' on my first week, now that the first Weight Watchers Reboot portion has wrapped up.

Mission #1 - Stronger

At the start I could do 15 side push-ups, and last night i did 32 in 3 sets.  My plank time went from 1:06 to 1:21, still trying to crack 1:30.  Genie Sits - I did 15 at first but last night did 35 in 3 sets.  And in the Arm Curl department, I upped my original weight from 5 pounds to 10 halfway this past weekend so, I did 17 in two sets on first try, and 20 in two sets last night.  Which was difficult, but I may actually end up with muscle in my arms as a result.  Seeing improvement already = Good week

Mission #2 - Reboot

Problems in my bathroom had me focusing on that room instead of in the kitchen.  I have, however, cleaned out my cupboard as promised.  And I've realized that I really need more space for my food so I can better organize it and so that things don't hide away in the back until they're expired and gross and whatnot.  So in my on-going effort to get my apartment clean and tidy before I take a week's vacation in early October, I'm going to clean out my hall pantry and I plan to use at least a couple shelves of it as actual pantry.  So I did some cleaning, got rid of some bad food, brought in some good food, and I have a plan.  Good week.

Mission #3 - Snooze

I haven't done it.  Haven't snoozed at all.  Well, except on Saturday and that doesn't count against me.  According to my iSleep program thingie, I'm averaging 7.3 hours of sleep every night.   And that's awesome.  I'm getting more time to do stuff in the morning.  But I also really need to work on getting out of the door on time because I still have issues with getting to work late.  Great week.

Life Mission - Self-Control

I used it to great effect last night because after 10 pm I got my ass up and finished cleaning the bathroom.  It is now a sparkly palace of awesome.  Self-Control is a lovely thing.  ^_^   Great week!

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Fantastic first week!!  (which apparently I said earlier because I thought that was your week report, but now this one for realz :redface-new: )Congrats on the PR's in strength. What is a side push up?

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

Side push-ups

Also, the thing I'm supposed to work on this week for Weight Watchers is picking a new Power Food to try this week.  I have a bag of frozen Tilapia in my freezer, been there for a month or so.  Fish is a Power Food, so I think I'll try to make two or three meals involving it, see if I can make them taste good and whatnot.  ^_^

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Nice job on the cleaning ! (And everything else, but cleaning is the hardest for me so...)

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Last night I shut down the computer at 10:12, which is pretty good, but then I wanted to accomplish something.  So I decided to build a bookcase that I had purchased this weekend.  So I did that, finished around 11:15, brushed teeth, got ready for bed, but couldn't sleep and ended up playing games on my iPod until close to midnight.  Then this morning I used the snooze!  First time in a long time that wasn't a Saturday morning.  But it's okay.  These things will happen from time to time.  I'll do better tomorrow.

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Checking in now that I've got a new Weight Watchers Challenge, actually two of them since I'll be on vacation all next week and I figured I should pick two challenges to work on why traveling.  First, this past week I had tilapia three times.  Once was part of a pre-packaged Lean Cuisine meal and was quite tasty.  When I tried it myself with a frozen fillet that I had thawed, I discovered that the directions for microwaving aren't entirely accurate.  So the first attempt may have exploded a little bit, but it was still tasty what with all the spices I added.  Second attempt also exploded but was also yummy.  ^_^

Okay, so this week is supposed to be about having the support of others, and next week it's supposed to be about controlling your environment.  I can't do much with support of others while I'm traveling, so I'm going to support myself by asking one simple question whenever I want to eat something I shouldn't.  "Is it really worth it?"  Second, controlling my environment, I'm going to make sure that I've got sensible and healthy snacks with me at all times.  This will be particularly good to follow while I'm on the road trip out to Colorado and on the flight home again next Sunday.  

I missed one of my three strength sessions this week, just wasn't stronger than my excuses.  But I'm about to do Week Three Day One, and I've managed to reach at least Level 2 on all exercises so there's progress being made.  I'm getting good at not having Facebook after 10 pm, and it's actually helped me get to sleep on time because I don't have meaningless stuff to stare at and keep me awake.  Yay!

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I'm happy cuz I found a substitute for arm curls, which I can't do while I'm traveling unless I want to lug 10 pound weights with me, which I don't.  So basically you squat with your arms wrapped a round a pole or other solid object then lean back and pull yourself forward, all with the arms.  It's a pretty good bicep substitute exercise.

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Tomorrow I head out on my big solo road trip from Milwaukee to Colorado Springs.  I'm a bit nervous, but determined to eat sensibly and get exercise while I'm traveling and vacationing.  In the morning I'm going to weigh myself first thing and record it.  Then compare it against my morning weight when I return, and we'll see how I did.  Various goals are somewhat on hold this week.  The whole snooze thing doesn't apply, and I won't have much access to computers so that won't be an issue either.  I will still try to get in my strength stuff - no excuses now that all of my exercises are bodyweight only.  And I'll be following my two Weight Watchers goals of having that healthy snack on hand at all times (I have three apples and a pear as snacks for the long drive) and asking myself 'Is it really worth it?'  I actually did that today after work when I was mightily tempted to go to McDonald's for supper but talked myself out of it and had Progresso Light soup at home instead.

• Like 1

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I'm back from vacation and a little worse for wear.  Part of my 'vacation' was helping my friend move - On Thursday I helped move a house-worth of furniture and boxes from a moving van into a storage facility for her, the contents of her mom's house who is now in a nursing home.  Then on Friday I helped her soon-to-be ex-husband move out of the house and get set up in his new apartment.  That was interesting, as they are very amicable.  

Anyway, end result of that, plus hiking around the Garden of the Gods on Saturday and dragging my bags around airports and sitting in crappy airplane seats on Sunday has done a serious number on my lower back.  I was going to restart my running plan today, but it seems I'll need to do some more recuperating before I can give it a go.  AND I can't reasonably do my strength exercises until my back is not so achey/ouchy.  

On the plus side, it looks like I lost some weight over vacation.  ^_^

So continuing with the WW quest, I have kept good snacks with me and I've asked myself any number of times - is this really worth it?  Sometimes the answer is yes, and that's okay.  Starting tonight I'm getting back on track with the Self Control - currently off Facebook despite having started a new game that's kind of addictive.  And I'll be back on the Snooze-Free plan tomorrow morning as well.  After a week of not having any alarm at all, it should be interesting.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines