[SunLynx] starts out

SunLynx

Ok, here goes! (oh, and Blaidd, thank you for laying all of this out and making it pretty easy to access!)

Introduction:  Hi! I am SunLynx and this is my first challenge. I really like being outside and being "in nature." Lately though I've been having trouble keeping a daily routine (getting work done, eating on schedule, even leaving the house) because I've been really anxious about my future in graduate school. I am hoping that keeping a log of my daily activities and showing myself that I can meet my fitness goals will provide me with the evidence and motivation to reach my academic goals. I joined the rebellion because I think that the support and supporting others will help me learn to keep calm and carry on. 

Main Quest:  Mens sana in corpore sano! I want to stop using food as my anxiety relief and start using exercise as my antidepressant. So, as a concrete main goal, I would like to complete a 5k in under 40 minutes, six weeks from now.

Quest 1: Walk everyday for at least 5 minutes. I want to establish a habit of deliberate activity every day, so I'm starting with something small. 

Measurement: A = 5 minutes, 41 days walked, B = 5 mins, 39 days C = 5 mins, 37 days

Reward: (to be decided--I still need to figure out the points stuff)

Quest 2: Run 3 times a week, for 20 minutes. 

Measurement: A = 20 minutes, 18 times sodas, B = 20 minutes, 15 times C = 20 minutes, 12 times

Reward: (TBD)

Quest 3: Meditate everyday for at least 5 minutes. Again, a small daily habit that will help with my main quest, seeking a healthy mind and a healthy body.

Measurement: A = 5 minutes, 41 days meditated, B = 5 mins, 39 days C = 5 mins, 37 days

Life Quest: Keep a log of researching work done each week, try to maintain an average of 40 hours per week for 6 weeks. Show myself that I can work an appropriate amount each week and still keep calm. 

Measurement: A = average over 6 weeks is 40+ hours, B = 35+ hours, C = 30+ hours

Motivation:  I want to do this not just for me, but also for the people that love and support me. I want to prove that I'm not neglecting my physical or mental health and that I can do grad school at the same time. I don't necessarily think "I can have it all!" but I can count my meditating and running/walking as higher on my priority list than spending time on the internet aimlessly. (Which reminds me, I should really adjust my settings on StayFocusd. That Chrome plug-in isn't going to help me if there are no blocked sites on its list!)

Starting Point:

Neck: 14.5"

Chest: 39"

Bicep: (L) 12.5" (R ) 12.5"

Waist: (above navel) 33" (below navel, widest point) 38"

Hips: 44.5"

Thigh: (L) 26" (R ) 27"

Calf: (L) 15.5" (R ) 15.25"

Weight: 179 lb (not my absolute heaviest, but very close. Since going on antidepressants I gained about 40 lbs, so I know I could stand to lose some fat and gain some muscle)

I've also seen people posting before pictures on their threads, but I'm going to save that for a later post so that I can get more stuff figured out, and actually take that walk and do that meditation so that today counts!

Woohoo! Excited to finally take part in a challenge!

SunLynx
Wood Elf Scout (Hopeful)

Level 0 
current battlelog

It's the end of the third day of the challenge. I am pretty mentally beat, but today I finally matched that with some physical exhaustion. It feels good now, and I will keep reminding myself tomorrow that the pain of recovery is empowering rather than being a punishment. 

So...some records?

W1D1
Q1: Walked around my housing complex for 5 mins.
Q3: Following walking, I meditated in my bedroom for 5 mins.
Remarks: I completed the quests right around midnight, which is not ideal. I would prefer that the quests break up the stresses of my day rather than be "tasks" to complete before sleeping.

W1D2
Q1: Walked around my complex for 12 minutes.

Q3: About an hour after walking, I meditated for 5 minutes in my bedroom. 

Remarks: Again, quests were completed, but only late into the night. I think I do like trying to meditate before sleep though, and I think I might like to try it in the morning.

W1D3:

Q1: Walked after my run for 10 minutes. (I've decided that run + walks can still be counted for their individual quests, so long as the segments are completely separate and minimum time for each quest is met)

Q2: Ran 1.56 mi in ~21 minutes. Slow but fairly steady and with a negative split. Felt good, but legs felt like jello afterward.

Q3: (Saving for pre-bedtime ritual)

Remarks: Today was a huge turning point. First, it was the third day in a row our area has seen fairly extreme heat and I was really miserable from the weather and from the uncertainty hanging around my academic future. I knew before it started that today was going to be hard, but my fiance challenged me to fight the miseries that stemmed from my anxieties and the day eventually turned around. Yes, it was hard--I was only able to cope with being at school for a half hour today, but I managed to get a few things done nonetheless and then found out what my future holds for the next 12ish weeks. Feeling like I was fighting helped a lot, and his challenge was much more measurable than the life quest that I initially issued for myself, so I'm considering changing my life quest (unless that's not allowed?) because maybe this would be better/easier to measure.

I'll elaborate on that in a later update if I still think it's a good idea. Off to read/comment on some threads!

...but before I'm done done with this post, I feel like I should mention Steve's post on the Rebellion's oath. As new as I am to this kind of communication (I have never really participated in a forum before), I'm already so happy with the community vibe and just hope it keeps getting better! For the Rebellion, for this day, and all the days to come! http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/09/15/the-oath-of-the-nerd-fitness-rebellion/

SunLynx
Wood Elf Scout (Hopeful)

Level 0 
current battlelog

I love how you focussed on your small habits and start with a realistic lenght of time for every single of it. What counts at first is that you do it and that you do it regularly, not how. Plus it's great that you're also reflecting on when's the best time for each quest.

I'm sure you're on a good way, keep it up! :)

You are doing great! Way to break your goals in to small manageable pieces. It looks like you are right on track. Can't wait to see the progress you make!

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

STR 9 | WIS 6 | CON 8 | CHA 3 | DEX 6 | INT 6

Current Challenge

Chapter 1 - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 -Chapter 4 - Chapter 5 - Chapter 6

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Joining a forum when you've never really been a part of one can be a little daunting, but you'll soon realise that we're such a sociable and supportive bunch that you're going to feel right at home in no time.

You might notice that someone has added a Scouts' tag to your thread.  This isn't to pigeonhole you into particular guild, but rather to bring one of their ambassadors here to offer you encouragement, support or advice.  Your goals this challenge fit well with the overall spirit of their guild and you are more than welcome to pop into their Tavern and introduce yourself to them.  You are also more than welcome to pop me a message anytime. 

Good Luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Just keep at it, in some form! You will be able to accomplish so much if you continue to look forward!

As far as graduate school, my husband gave me a great study tip he used. 45 minutes on, 15 minutes off.

*Use an egg timer (not a digital item) and physically set it for 45 minutes (or 30 to start you out).

*Work on whatever task you need to get done, highest priority first.

*Take it as far as you can within that time, if you hit a wall switch to the next priority task.

*When the egg timer goes off, stand up, reset timer for 15 minutes, walk away, and do something unrelated and enjoyable for that time. Drink water, eat a healthy snack, go for a quick run around the house, shower, something that gets you completely away from sitting and working on anything. 

*When timer goes off again, reset to 45 or 30 minutes, return to work.

*Then repeat.

He made it through graduate school, working a night job, and some seriously challenging relationship stuff because of this process. I was amazed he was so dedicated to it, but he said the simplicity of the egg timer and not being responsible for anything other than the focus needed to work or play during that time helped so much. You don't have to think about what's next, you don't have to worry about what might happen in so many hours or days. You just do what that time interval says for you to do and you will find yourself churning out what you need to get done. 

I currently do this for internet/computer time and other chores I need to get done throughout the day. It helps so much. Whatever you try, time management will be key for you to not feel lost.

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

Week 1 is overrr! So a recap?

W1D4

Q1: Did it.

Q3: Didn't do it. 

Remarks: I think 4 days ago is too far to remember back. So, note to self, post more often!

W1D5

Q1: Didn't do it.

Q3: Did it. 

Remarks: Maybe even three days is too far back...

W1D6:

Q1: Walked after running for a good 10 mins.

Q2: Ran in the morning for 20 mins.

Q3: It took acupuncture to get me there, but I meditated for about 20 minutes total today.

Remarks: Weather was awesome, finally. Got out of the house a lot more.

W1D7:

Q1: Walked after running for another 10 or so mins

Q2: Ran at night for 20 mins.

Q3: Meditated for 10 mins before bed

Remarks: Spent a good couple of hours this afternoon cleaning, and the work made me more energized during the day and more tired come time for sleep. Surprised that I managed to run 2 days in a row with minimal pain/soreness. Really liking the runs.

I really feel like I need to address my Life Quest. I'm really having trouble just sitting down to do research, and measuring it on a weekly basis leads me to procrastinating on it until I just give up. And then I feel like there are things that aren't school-related that I have similar problems with (like keeping the house clean, taking care of myself, etc.) that I also put off/don't put time into because I'm trying to avoid school and that actually takes quite a bit of time and energy for me. Seems silly, doesn't it? Yeah, that's why I want to change.

Whatever you try, time management will be key for you to not feel lost.

I agree wholeheartedly. And, TinyLivingMama, I've been trying out your husband's study tip. It's basically the Pomodoro Method, but with different time specifications, so I've been fiddling around with break times/work times, but I think I like working for a longer period and taking a longer break, as you suggested. The Pomodoro Method would have me working for 25 minutes and then breaking for 5, but I really like the longer break and I feel like I wouldn't be doing enough work if I were breaking for longer than half of my work time.

So, I think I'm going to rewrite my Life Quest as follows:

Be more conscious of time. Get work done efficiently, but also track time spent doing things for fun. What I DON'T want to happen is I wind up at the end of everyday saying "I don't know, I didn't go to school or do anything at all to relieve stress, I just sat on my couch and tried not to think about all the stuff I didn't get done today and now I feel HORRIBLE."

Consciously decide and track the time I spend on different activities. A "conscious hour" is one that starts with me deciding what I will do for the next 45 minutes, setting a time and working, and then breaking for 15 minutes before starting again if I decide I'm not finished for the day.

Grades will be awarded on a per-day basis, and then averaged. (it's the same as averaging all the hours that I work and assigning a final grade, but I think giving myself a grade everyday will be more motivating and I'll be less likely to think I can "make it up" later)

A: 6+ conscious hours each day B: 5 conscious hours each day C:3-4 conscious hours each day D: 1-2 conscious hours each day F: No conscious hours.

Thus far I can record W1D3 1 hour, W1D4 2 hours, W1D5 2 hours, W1D6 1 hour, W1D7 5 hours. Because it's now official, I hope to be more diligent in managing my time.

Week 1 takeaways?

1. Update more often, offer more support too!

2. It may be motivating to view progress as a percentage (that always helps me on my runs) so start reporting that way, like I am 6/7 on meditating and walking and 3/3 on running.

3. Slow and steady and POSITIVE wins the race. Somehow I can internalize that on my runs, but not elsewhere...

Until next time (which I should be W2D2 or W2D3)!

• Like 1

SunLynx
Wood Elf Scout (Hopeful)

Level 0 
current battlelog

Hey SunLynx, welcome.

I am said Scout person Blaidd warned you about! I read over your goals and they look strong. I especially like that you rewrote your life goal. I have the same time management difficulties. I spend more time thinking I need down time than actually spending the time to do what I need down time from! It's overwhelming.

So, using your challenge to work on it is quite brave. I find it hard to judge my actions without being overly critical. So I write it down and then look at it later; end of the day or the next morning. Far enough after that the judgements are less emotional and more realistic. Now mind you, I don't know if this happens with you so it might not matter. Just focus yourself, pretend you're judging another person. How much do you expect of others in the same situation?

I like the running, of course! And the walking is a great way to keep on your feet and recover nicely from running. Do you do walking meditations? I've always wanted to try that.

Ask me anything, go hang out at the Scout Tavern, and most of all have fun!

I'll be back!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Great to hear from you, and welcome to week 2! 

I love how you named them conscious hours! It's such a great term for what you are trying to accomplish in that time. I may even use it for myself.... =)

And yes, I agree about the Pomodoro being too short at times. I usually have things that require the 45 minutes, and anything less I just don't finish anything and it makes me feel defeated. So that's why I stick with the 30-45 minute increments. 

Some of the mom friends I have started doing the 15-minutes a day cleaning routine. For 15 minutes a day, they do some type of cleaning and call it good, whether that's dishes and wipe down counters, throw some clothes in the laundry, sweep floors, dusting, etc. Just whatever can be done in 15 minutes, even if it's only one room or so. That fit in perfectly with the 45/15 split I was doing, so I started doing it! We post about what we cleaned that day to help keep us accountable.

I think you are right on track with making more updates and adjusting your goals.

Looking forward to more!!

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

quick midweek update!

W2D1
Q1: Did it! (7/8)

Q3: Did it! (7/8)

LQ: 2 hours -- D. Motivation for the next day!

W2D2

Q1: Did it! Took the fastest 5 minute walk ever, but felt like I had taken a good break and made a good effort to connect with nature. (8/9)

Q3: Did it! Downloaded an app that plays a chime or a bell after your specified meditation time. So much nicer than my phone or tablet alarms! (8/9)

LQ: 4 hours, all on campus! And progress is made! -- C

W2D3

Q1: Did it! Saw a lost cat flyer from one of my friends and was inspired to go for much longer, hoping maybe I could catch a glimpse of her somewhere around the complex. 12 minutes was enough for me to circle around a probable area. Go home, kitty! (8/9)

Q3: will happen before bed! (?/9)

LQ: 4 hours, didn't make it to campus. I think I need to go back to my "why" and remind myself of the reasons to push myself each day. I'm not giving up on these goals so I'm going to try harder to make them work for me, because I can do this!--C

I've let my runs go for a few days in the first part of the week again. While it /is/ more convenient to exercise on the weekend, that kind of intense cardio is really good for my stress during the week. Run tomorrow for SURE. If I can't wake up for it in the morning, I'm definitely going at 6 PM because tomorrow I have a vet visit and meetings tomorrow (possible stress alert--remember to stay calm!).

SunLynx
Wood Elf Scout (Hopeful)

Level 0 
current battlelog

Yes! 4-5 conscious hours is a great start! Keep it up!

Going to stalk for runs now. ^_^ Running is a weak point for me, I have yet to start again because I get so winded. Do you run near your house or someplace new?

- Mobile communication granted.

Morning,

"W2D2

Q1: Did it! Took the fastest 5 minute walk ever, but felt like I had taken a good break and made a good effort to connect with nature. (8/9)"

YAY!! I love walking in nature. It fills me up and even if I've kicked my ass doing the hills or contending with the humidity, I feel great after. I'm glad it works for you!

"I think I need to go back to my "why" and remind myself of the reasons to push myself each day. I'm not giving up on these goals so I'm going to try harder to make them work for me, because I can do this!"

I'm glad this is such a strong motivation in itself right now. I can't remember the exact moment, but somewhere early in my NF days, I thought to myself, "Holy Crap, I'm not gonna quit this! I'm really not!" It was the best feeling of confidence in myself I had had in decades.

You can do this, anytime you want and every time you want!!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

What kind of meditation are you doing?

Nothing special right now, just sitting for five minutes (or more :) ), trying to focus on the breath, and if the mind wanders, gently bringing it back. I have had some good success with some mindfulness meditations in the past (usually 45 minute "body scans," where you focus your thoughts on different parts of the body, just observing and noting the sensations you feel) but because I want to start slow and eliminate all possible excuses, I'm sticking with the basics right now. Thanks for the support! Are you into meditation too?

Yes! 4-5 conscious hours is a great start! Keep it up!

Going to stalk for runs now. ^_^ Running is a weak point for me, I have yet to start again because I get so winded. Do you run near your house or someplace new?

4 hours /is/ a huge improvement from 0 hours last week, so thanks for the reminder that there's no need to be perfect from the start! Small improvements every day!

Running...how I love the feeling of the endorphins when I'm done, and the sense of accomplishment I get from looking at my stats! But, it has been difficult for me to stay committed to for long periods of time, so I feel like I'm starting over every 6 months just trying to run a 5k again. I think that will be something to address next challenge...ok, you can run a 5k. Now what? Faster? Longer? Trails? Maybe all of the above!

It's definitely helping me this time around, physically and mentally, to go as slow as I want for the first part of the run and then go all out for the last 5 minutes. I'm not in great shape right now, even for me, but I'm still managing to jog 20 minutes at a time, which has been getting me somewhere around 1.5 miles. If you want to start even slower, you can take a minute or so walk break for every minute or so of running--that might fight off winded-ness while your lungs gain strength!

Usually I run near home, which is nice because I have lots of route options, it's really safe, and there's a shower/water nearby, but sometimes I'll go with my friend and/or her dog so we'll meet up at a park or track to run. Trails are also great, though I haven't done those in a while, and I think I'd like to try a run at the beach too (a real run, not just the 2 minutes I run in my wetsuit to get warm enough to charge into the surf!). We have lots of hills all over my area, so really good for scout training. Do you have any other suggestions? In the spirit of getting this habit to stick, I will try running anywhere! And please, stalk away!

I can't remember the exact moment, but somewhere early in my NF days, I thought to myself, "Holy Crap, I'm not gonna quit this! I'm really not!" It was the best feeling of confidence in myself I had had in decades.

You can do this, anytime you want and every time you want!!

I don't know that I'm feeling confident right now so much as I'm feeling resolved, as if there are only two directions I can go right now--forward, into the unknown, or backward, to the known and miserable. Right now, I have to keep reminding myself that I don't want to go backward and that I /can/ go forward, I just have to keep meeting my daily goals. I might just be saying "I can do this" because I don't want to give myself any other options, but I do hope that my faith in myself will grow stronger throughout this challenge. Maybe I'll have a shining moment of confidence too!

Really, a huge thank you to you guys, for cheering me on. I might be able to do this by myself, but I would rather not. This way is easier (the constant stream of positivity is super helpful) and more fun!

A little lynx love to sign off?

giphy.gif

• Like 1

SunLynx
Wood Elf Scout (Hopeful)

Level 0 
current battlelog

I used to love running around on greenbelts or nature walks. We live near the beach now so I may try the boardwalks around there. We don't have a jogging stroller yet or it would be a lot easier with the kids in tow!

Keep it up through the weekend! Perfect time for a little exploring!

The good news is I feel like I've been killing some serious rats lately.

W2D4

Q1: Did it! (10/11)

Q2: Did it! (oh man this run was fun--I'll have to share when I'm not just posting for record keeping!) (4/4)

Q3:  Did it! (10/11)...oh no, I just realized that my counts from W2D3 were off! Have to edit that later!

LQ: 6 conscious hours. My first A! 

W2D5

Q1: oops, haven't done it yet! (?/12)

Q3: Acupuncture today! Ahhhh! (11/12)

LQ: 3 conscious hours. I'm actually proud of this number because I did a lot of non-school stuff today and still managed to squeeze school in. (My quarter starts next week--I haven't been skipping school, promise!) -- C

The bad news is I can't go into much detail because the night is still young and I've got some more stuff to do.  :onthego: 

• Like 1

SunLynx
Wood Elf Scout (Hopeful)

Level 0 
current battlelog

Don't forget sleep fuels that passion, so feed your passion the sleep it needs to be ready for anything!

(As I post at 2am, lol) Back to bed! ^_^

Can't wait to hear about the run. And you are totally crushing week 2!

W2D4

Q1: Did it! (10/11) YAY!!

Q2: Did it! (oh man this run was fun--I'll have to share when I'm not just posting for record keeping!) (4/4) Oh yes, do tell when you get a chance.

Q3:  Did it! (10/11)...oh no, I just realized that my counts from W2D3 were off! Have to edit that later! Uh-oh!!

LQ: 6 conscious hours. My first A!Woo-Hoo!!

W2D5

Q1: oops, haven't done it yet! (?/12) Get on it! ;-)

Q3: Acupuncture today! Ahhhh! (11/12) Oooo, ahhh, indeed.

LQ: 3 conscious hours. I'm actually proud of this number because I did a lot of non-school stuff today and still managed to squeeze school in. (My quarter starts next week--I haven't been skipping school, promise!) -- C That's great. Way to make it part of your life, instead of a required sideline thing.

The bad news is I can't go into much detail because the night is still young and I've got some more stuff to do.  :onthego:Then, just go, it's all good!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Yay! I love that feeling you get when you get a bunch of stuff done. It feels so liberating. Keep up the great work. You're doing so awesome!

Youre_awesome_gif.gif

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." - Eleanor Roosevelt

W2D6

Q1:Did it! (12/13)

Q2:Did it! Even with a day to recover from my epic run, it was rough. (5/5)

Q3:Did it! (12/13)

LQ: 3 hours--C.

W2D7

Q1:Did it! (13/14)

Q2:Did it! Paced myself better today, but still in recovery mode. Finally decided on a new route too, probably a good idea. Need to work on distance though. (6/6)

Q3:Did it! Riiiight before sleep I went for about 10 minutes, really nice.(13/14)

LQ: 0 hours. --F. I think I was just exhausted. My birthday was Friday and not only did I work and then have to grab party stuff (cake, chips, coolers, it was a lot), but then there was the party itself. I don't really drink alcohol, and I had none all weekend, but all the junk food and the running (for multiple days!) just slowed me to a halt by Sunday. 

W3D1

Q1: Did it! I'm really starting to know my apartment complex well.. :tongue: I need to start taking walks a little earlier each day so I'm not doing them right before bed...(14/15)

Q3: Did it! But fell asleep during, so maybe I should also start doing the meditation earlier. I feel like I've been saying this from the first week, at least about the walks. hmm...(14/15)

LQ: 5 hours--B! After a weekend of mostly relaxing, I jumped back on it!

W3D2

Q1:So what was I saying about needing to do things earlier? I haven't done my walking or meditation and I should have been in bed an hour ago. (?/16)

Q3:(?/16)

LQ: 5 hours--B! I went to a seminar today (I study economics, Amren!) and I mostly managed to pay attention the whole time so I was pretty proud of myself and I feel pretty good about classes starting on Thursday. 

Where did the time go today/this past week?

SunLynx
Wood Elf Scout (Hopeful)

Level 0 
current battlelog

W3D2

Q1:So what was I saying about needing to do things earlier? I haven't done my walking or meditation and I should have been in bed an hour ago. (?/16)

Q3:(?/16)

LQ: 5 hours--B! I went to a seminar today (I study economics, Amren!) and I mostly managed to pay attention the whole time so I was pretty proud of myself and I feel pretty good about classes starting on Thursday. 

Where did the time go today/this past week?

Aaaah time goes so fast! I totally know the feeling!

Don't give up now :D Go to bed and do your meditating in pyjamas. You can do it!

Sorry, I know I'm a bit late with this post - darn'd time zones :P

Paying attention in college/lectures/seminars/etc is incredibly difficult, so congratz on that one :D

Level 1 Wood-elf
Aspiring druid and adventurer
Current challenge

Yay! You're doing so well. How are you feeling after your big run? Hopefully not too sore :)

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines