BlueCarfuffle - Paleo-focus

bluecarfuffle

I'm in high spirits for this challenge. Must be the magic of the return from vacation.

Goal: Stick to Paleo. 
It seems my metabolism has the speed for a sloth with a limp, so the calorie input is very important for weight loss. I mean, I don't care so much about the number on the scale, I care about fitting into a particular pair of pants I bought last year at the thrift shop, the Hot Blue Pants (HBP). For this, I've identified five necessary actions:
1) Buy a ton of Autumn veggies. Luckily, those are my favourite.
2) Sleep. I noticed that when I lack energy to face the kids, it's very often because I didn't sleep well, and that leads to huge cravings for: dried fruit, rice crackers with butter, or worse. Break down this challenge into week-sized chunks. This week: in bed by 11:30pm. (already failed yesterday... :/ )
3) Cook larger amounts. I love cooking, but with the little ones it's sometimes crazy to do so for virtually every meal. I just need to buy and prepare larger amounts (especially veggies), so I don't have to feel overwhelmed so often. Yeah, it'll probably cost more. Growing Little Carfuffles need food, deal with it.
4) Plan meals! Plan shopping! Start planning three days at a time if a week seems daunting. 
5) Stay clear of alcohol. I can use my vacation illness (food poisoning) as an excuse to skip the wine and the beer for a few weeks.

Side goal: longboard.
I'd been kicking around the idea for some time to have a longboard to commute when I'm alone, and by coincidence some guy was selling one for not too bad a price, so I jumped on the offer, all giddy with the prospect of having my coolness skyrocket. Which it did... until I got on it. I haven't skated in years (probably 15!), and I wasn't good to start off with.So I pretty much have to start from scratch. I have to get protective gear, I have to find a place to practice, I have to find the time to practice, and this before the weather becomes awful. Hopefully all this can be achieved with the eldest kid starting school next week. Funny side story: I got home with the board and the first thing my husband said was: "Do you know this is dangerous?". I said, "Hey man, I gave birth to TWO kids. I can do this."
In the week long break between the challenges, I managed to practice every day. That's it then. Every day: longboard. Even if it's ten minutes.

Life quest: get a job.
Just get a job that I like, one I can see myself doing for at least 2 years, with a good team. 

I think I'll just take a step back from the BBWW for now. I am so exhausted all the time. My hope is that the joint goal of sticking to Paleo and sleeping more will allow me to get back to BBWW for the next challenge. Although, the goals can be adapted/upgraded during the challenge, right?
  • Like 4

"An obstacle... is an opportunity." --Greg Bartholomew Strydom in Searching for Sugar Man.

Yay for high spirits!

haha i love your response to your husband :P And longboarding to work sounds epic! I keep thinking of doing something similar to cut down the walk to/from the train station...

I think you've got a solid challenge here with some great goals :) And I think your first paleo ones will all end up falling together nicely :)

• Like 1

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

The longboard is fun. Try it out, borrow one from a friend to see if it's your thing. I have to order a helmet still, and probably buy shoes, but I'm so giddy at the prospect. Or try a scooter/razor! They kind of look a bit silly in my opinion, but hey, whatever shortens your commute, who cares what it looks like?

I'd already been doing paleo, but cheating a lot. Like eating 100g of dried mango slices in one day, along with 20 cashews. I really think that increasing sleep will really help.

"An obstacle... is an opportunity." --Greg Bartholomew Strydom in Searching for Sugar Man.

Good challenge goals! It looks like you put a lot of thought into choosing ones that will make the biggest impact right now.

Happy to be following you again. :)

• Like 1

Love your challenge, the longboard should be fun. Great response to hubby.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Heya Blue! I like your goals - especially the sleep one and the cooking one. I'm guilty of not doing both - just kinda scraping by one meal at a time and having to scrounge around the house every day after work in search of "what are we going to have for dinner?"

Since you're focused on Paleo, maybe we can trade some meal planning ideas!! :D That would be really cool (imo).

Rock on with your response to the hubby! *hi-5* That was pretty epic. :D

'subbed ... cause I want to see you tear this thing up!!

• Like 1

Metal_weaver, good idea. I have no idea where or how to start though. I just kind of go to the market, and buy a lot of fruit and veggies. I noticed that I need to buy ten eggs on Wednesdays, then ten more on Saturdays... I also play it by ear at the butcher's. This is all working fine for now, because I'm an at home mom, and the toddler is still okay with being dragged into shops. But yeah, if you hold me accountable, I'm more likely to get this done.

(Actually, we had visitors last week for two days, and I planned pretty well for both dinners: cooked buckwheat/kasha ahead of time, roasted trouts with sauteed zucchinis the first night, the second night: slow-roasted lamb shanks and roasted hokkaido pumpkin with leftover buckwheat).

• Like 1

First week summary: cough. Coughcoughcough. There's pain in my throat. Cough.

After a first week of preschool, of course we all have colds. As a result, I have been going to bed early, exhausted. But I haven't practiced my balance on the longboard since Wednesday. So, I get a 50% success rate on this week (I'm not super keen on grading, I have to say). As soon as I get better (I'm aiming for Tuesday), I'll get back to it. Anyone have tips on what skate helmets to buy? 

I also decided to apply to this researcher job, for which I had an informal interview on Monday. It's not the most exciting job on earth, but it's two blocks from our apartment and it looks like they would be open to the idea of part-time, which means I could still see my kids! So this is short, because I have to work on my application.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you are sick. :( It tends to go around at the beginning of school years.

Good luck with the job application!

• Like 1

Heya Blue! Hope you're feeling better. I'm actually quite floored that our fam of 3 grade-school boys hasn't come home with anything yet! Especially with the swinging weather here in the northern Midwest, too!

Any word back on the job? That would be really cool if they were flexible with your schedule and let you work part time! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Still have a cough. It feels like something is prickling my throat constantly. A sea urchin? But I live 7 hours driving from the ocean! Not fair at all.

My parents are in town. It's great, and they are helping a lot with the kids. I can go to bed early, and even sleep in a little (7AM!!! Woah!). But they LOVE bread, especially with butter and homemade jam. I've eaten some too... Now I have a pimple. More like a light-bulb actually, on my chin. Gotta stop eating that stuff! I also have been eating a lot of honey to soothe my throat, to no avail. But! I was sleep-walking a couple of nights ago, and woke up as I was trying on a pair of jean's, size 12, and they were waaaaaay too large for me. That cheered me up a lot, because I had bought those pants at the beginning of the summer of 2009 (so, pre-pregnancies), and they were a little snug back then. 

Practiced only a little bit of longboard, not enough to do justice to my challenge, but it's getting boring indoor, and outdoors is rainy these days. I have been going around town looking for a helmet without any success,  I may have to cave in and get it from Amazon.

Job interview tomorrow. Hopefully I don't cough up too much throughout.

And, last but not least, a good friend is leaving town and selling her amazing house. We had been talking about buying a house to move by next summer, so this would push us sooner, but... Did I mention her house is amazing? And it's a bit over our budget, but that's the cost of amazingness. I'm star-truck, I have to say, and not used to it (I used to pride myself for not living in the same country more than 7 years in a row). But that house... woah.

Goal #3 is something I am always doing - make dinner, serve up... only three plates' worth. I never quite got my head around increasing the amounts! I'm going to get a bigger cooking pot and then hopefully that will fix it. But I agree how it can be easy to get into bad habits of serving up all the good stuff for the kids and then throwing down some bread/cereal/rubbish and going to fold laundry instead.

Sleep begets carbs. It really does. When we're tired you're body's all "Prot... what? NO. Sugar. Nao." I practically OD'd on carbs before I found NF and started to shape up.

The Autumn veggies part made me think of this great recipe, here:

http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2011/11/new-autumn-stew.html

I thought it was a Paleo recipe but it's not, oops! It's a vegan one. The spices are brilliant. If you need to make paleo changes you could maybe sub out the chickpeas and lentils. I don't use a can of pumpkin either, I throw in some squash. But it's really autumny, you can make loads of it and pretty low cal too.

• Like 1

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

You have a lot going on! It is so hard to stay paleo when others around you are eating yummy non-paleo things. :/ i often have to make myself a paleo treat to help me keep self-control.

Good news about the jeans! Good luck deciding about the house. I do not envy you needing to choose to go for it or not. Difficult choice!

Good luck at your job interview!

• Like 1

But I agree how it can be easy to get into bad habits of serving up all the good stuff for the kids and then throwing down some bread/cereal/rubbish and going to fold laundry instead.

Sleep begets carbs. It really does. When we're tired you're body's all "Prot... what? NO. Sugar. Nao." I practically OD'd on carbs before I found NF and started to shape up.

Exactly the same over here.

it is HILARIOUS that you were trying on pants while sleepwalking. but amazing that they fit! awesome!

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

You would not believe the stuff I've done while sleep walking. Checked the closets for spies (I'd watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy that very evening), opened the front door to let dream visitors in, rearranged dining chairs, and of course picked up a sleeping baby I dreamed had stopped breathing (a classic of new parents). But trying on pants is definitely a new one. Off they go on donation, which is too bad, they were nice, a cream colour, wide flare at the bottom, so cool.

My brother was like that. No idea if he still sleepwalks, but he used to do some crazy things.

• Like 1

Finally gave up trying to fight this cough and went to the doctor's. Bronchitis! For 3 weeks I thought I had a cold and I was getting mildly angry at my body for not taking care of it, but it just couldn't! I took the first antibiotics this afternoon, and already I feel sooooo much better.

So the last couple of weeks I've been:

1) going to bed before 11pm. Because I was sick. Which let me struggle through the days, even with bronchitis, I guess. I need to keep that habit. 

2) Cooking larger amounts. Very helpful with avoiding the stress and pressure of having a home-cooked meal at every meal, because there are leftovers!

Sadly, no longboard, and no meal planning.

Bonus) I did the meditation mini-challenge and loved getting back into it. I will try to keep meditating, even if it's ten minutes a day.

But! Now that I'm on antibiotics, things are looking up, so I plan to do the following to get back on track with my goals:

1) Write down what we ate last week. I think that will help planning for this week, because I will have a template I can tweak.

2) More longboard.

3) Less honey on rice crackers. Seriously. Paleo has been going fine except for the fact that I've been eating ridiculous amounts of honey. This has to stop.

Another job interview on Wednesday morning! 

• Like 1

So sorry to hear that you have been sick, but glad that you are now in the mend. Bronchitis is totally sucky. :(

Nice job with cooking and meditation. Go show them how great you are at that job interview!

Job interview went well. Not because I impressed them, but because they were very honest about the job was; what was interesting, what was routine. I've yet to hear back from them, but I've had a good chance to wonder, is this what I want to do for two years or so?

It's too late now for an update on the week, it's past 11 here already, but health is better, and I've even started thinking about the next challenge. I really enjoyed Steve's latest blog entry. 

• Like 1

An OK week in terms of Paleo. Not on 100%, but apparently losing weight.

Roasted a massive chicken on Wednesday which covered the meals until Sunday, including the broth made from the bones for vegetable soup. Veal to carry us from Sunday to Wednesday, on which day I get a half a kilo of ground beef. I need to track the food better because ad hoc buying makes it harder to plan meals (and manage finances), but I love fall fruits and vegetables, even the weird ones: Jerusalem artichokes, quince, chanterelle mushrooms.

Went back to practicing the longboard. I don't have a helmet yet to go outside, but I''ve had very little time alone, what with the husband on work trips 3 days out of each week.

In bed before 11pm has been working out quite well. This also helps with feeling more positive and able to deal with the kids, especially when I'm single parenting. 

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines