BlueCarfuffle - Paleo-focus

bluecarfuffle

I am so glad to hear that food is going well, and that you are getting back to the longboard. And sleep- hooray! I have always felt that getting enough sleep makes a huge difference. :)

• Like 1

Thanks, mate. I forgot to report crossing a milestone: on Sunday I tried on the Hot Blue Pants I had bought on a whim at a thrift store over a year ago, and they fit! I mean, they were snug, but I didn't look like I'd used a shoehorn to get into them, and I didn't look uncomfortable, and I could breathe and sit down at the same time. That was my goal for July! It's all good though. Those pants are so cool. I feel pretty good about not wasting the 4 Euros they cost me. :)

That being said, I weigh around 65kg. (I have the cheap Ikea scale, so who knows for sure, it could be 66kg, it could be 64). Before I found NerdFitness, I read somewhere that if you try to lose weight you should aim to shed 10% of your total weight (and then move forward if you choose), and in my case the goal became 63kg. But on Sunday, I realized, holy cow, if I'm 65kg now, then... then... 63kg is just round the corner! Now, I know, I've learned that here, the number on the scale doesn't mean much. But that might be a nice, doable goal, after reaching the Blue Pants goal. I'll have to give it some thought for our next challenge. Although I have noticed that the paleo diet has helped with shedding fat in most of my body (except for my backside). So "losing 2kg" might not be an effective goal.

• Like 1

"An obstacle... is an opportunity." --Greg Bartholomew Strydom in Searching for Sugar Man.

it is so super cool that you're approaching your 10% lost point! and blue pants goal! nice.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Hooray for the blue pants win and the weight loss win in progress!

Challenge wrap-up. Agh.

Again, a challenge that fizzled out. I'm concerned that I am not managing to get this done (there are other things that worry me too). I've tried setting the bar low, but even that hasn't brought on much results. I have tons of excuses: two little kids (ages 3 and 1,5), not much sleep, husband who travels about 2 days out of the week... but those are exactly it: excuses. I've been really exhausted and have used that as a reason to eat a ton of chocolate.

I managed to keep the weight at 65kg, and now am actually thinking about 60. When I look at myself (no way I'm posting photos though), I see I've basically lost weight in my upper body, and a bit in my legs (which used to be sturdy telephone poles), but basically my butt is just as huge. 

Food-wise, I've started keeping track of my meals and that has helped a lot to determine what we've been eating. I cook every single meal, and occasionally use frozen veggies. We don't eat bread anymore (anyone want our breadmaker?), but still consume wine. The thing is, sometimes, I'm so exhausted from cooking and getting the kids to eat that by the time they are in bed, I just gobble up some rice crackers (styrofoamy stuff) with butter and go to bed. A few months back, I made myself a rule: I could only eat chocolate in the house, but I couldn't buy it. In other words, it had to be a gift from someone, which doesn't happen too often. That helped. I think I may have to impose that rule again, and work out a way to force myself to eat well, perhaps something like: you can only eat at the same time as the kids, and what they are eating (which is really healthy).

I never got round to buying the helmet for skating. Towards the end of the challenge, I'd practice about once a week. Fail.

Sleep: fairly good on that front. I've been setting the late, late limit to 11pm, and allowing for naps. Though naps are not as good as a real good night of sleep, but they do help when we get woken up by the SmallestCarfuffle in the middle of the night. Man, I look forward for this kid to sleep through the night, it's excruciating. I'll continue that.

Side-challenges: I only did the second one, and realized I needed to do more meditation. I love it. I do about 15 minutes of it and then I feel like I'm floating, my brain feels warm and blue and there's soothing liquid peace running through the veins in my arms. So in that sense, it's been a huge success.

Thoughts:

I am beginning to realize that there isn't very much balance in my life at the moment. I need breaks from the kids, so I can focus on myself a little bit. I'm sorry if it offends or irritates other mothers out there, but for me, I need a couple of afternoons off. So I hired a babysitter, she comes at set hours of the week. Today was the first day, I went to test out the nearby swimming pool.

Because I think despite feeling exhausted, I need to exercise more. At this point, anything will do, but I need to think about it and PLAN it because I got injured twice and that threw everything off the rails before. I think I liked the swimming pool, tomorrow I will try the weights, do a BBWW.

In terms of balance, I may need to plan much, much more. As a mother of two young kids, we do have a daily routine that works fairly well, but I think I need to improve on it and plan things a lot better. Those days when the babysitter comes, I should be at the gym or pool. I should cook in the evenings, so that meals just need to be reheated, but still relatively fresh. Schedule everything, even my meditation. Laundry should be on set days, not ad hoc. Shopping should be systemized, not just "go and see what's on sale, when I have time". Etc, etc. Yikes, I may have to read that "Organizing for Dummies" my dad gave me as a joke/gift a few years ago. I actually think this would help with being less exhausted, just because the planning is work to be done up front, and then it can be a bit more auto-pilot mode. 

• Like 1

"An obstacle... is an opportunity." --Greg Bartholomew Strydom in Searching for Sugar Man.

Sorry your challenge didn't go as well as you'd like. You have made some great progress and thinking about what you need to do to take care of yourself. As a former stay at home mom, I can say time for yourself to recharge is important, especially with your husband out of town so often. I like your babysitter plan. I think it will help destress you, and that will help with the food cravings.

• Like 2

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

I agree! Even though the challenge didn't go as you planned you have a great and thoughtful wrap up.

If anyone gives you a hard time for getting a babysitter you send them to me and I'll give them the hairy eyeball. Seriously, that's a brilliant idea and totally the right thing to do! Full time caregiving for kids is tough at every age but when they're so little it's even more difficult. Good for you to recognize what you need to do for you.

Also I have a pretty hectic life too and planning saves my bacon. Meal plans are key for me, and if you can order groceries online for pick up you may find that to be helpful too. I thought that was just too much... But it makes a huge difference in my quality of life.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

You made some good progress this challenge, and with 2 kids under 5 that is impressive! I am not just saying that- my boys are 19 months apart in age, and when they were little, often the only things I could say I had done in a day were feed the kids, play with the kids, and get the kids (and myself) a nap. Be gentle on yourself while striving to improve. :)

I think your babysitter plan is fantastic. Remember to use some of that time to see friends sans kids- the dynamic is so different than when you are both chasing in different directions.

Finally, as far as excercise, try getting your kids involved if you have not done so already. Mine used to love to do basic stretches with me, and we used the kids as weights at that age. They thought the rides were fun, and we (hubby and I) got a workout!

• Like 1

The 20-months old Carfuffle finds it hilarious to do squats with me, for about 5 squats. The 3y.o.Carfuffle tried to climb on my legs while I was doing push-ups on an incline. It's like herding cats!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines