*Level 1* Zombie Apocalypse

Teros

The gamertag Teros eventually began to mean something more to me- it was my 'ideal self'; who I wished I could be.  That's why I used the name on here.  So far, since being here on NF, I've lost a total of 60+ pounds with a lot of ups and downs.  I have a home gym consisting of sledgehammers, a 250 pound tractor tire, and a bunch of homemae kettelbells, sandbags, and sandjugs as freeweights.

That sounds awesome! Are there any pictures of your home gym online?

Warg

Level 1 Lycan Assassin

STR 4 | STA 2 | DEX 0 | CON 1 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge

"If you don't know what you want, you end up with a lot you don't" - Chuck Palahniuk

100 pushups

25%
25%

200 squats

30.5%
30.5%

That sounds awesome! Are there any pictures of your home gym online?

20140126_195754_zps2c9778d8.jpg

Pictured:

4 sandjugs (12ish pounds each)

10 pound sledgehammer (the blue-handle one)

20 pound sledgehammer (impossible to find in stores because only constructions workers have the arms to wield them right)

25 pound kettelbell (the pumpkin)

45 pound kettelbell (the clear cheeseball container)

80 pound sandbag with handle (on floor)

250 pound tractor tire

Not pictured:

other 80 pound sandbag (for 160 pound Farmer's Walks)

metal bar (to use kettelbells as weights and create a barbell)

cinderblocks (setup for incline pull-ups so it doesn't ruin the doorframe and is also adjustable)

I will also be making two kettelbells for friends and a pair of 50 pound dumbbells in the very near future.

• Like 2

really cool! how do you make the kettlebells? with concrete? and the handles? love a bit of good DIY!

Pvc pipe for handles. Bake them in the oven for a couple minutes and they get noodly. Then I drill screws into the concrete-covered part. Then I mix some and fill it up.  I'm taking pics of the process on my thread:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/53612-teros-xi-the-time/page-7

So far:

20140912_200856_zpss7n5qb4x.jpg

20140920_075044_zpstueehttf.jpg

20140925_200251_zpsm0vycpsq.jpg

By the way, I added all the links on the first post so it makes it easier to follow.  How's everyone doing so far?  I'm able to walk a little bit without a lot of pain in my ankles which is why I'm making this other equipment. I'm making 25 lb kettelbells for friends and 50 pound dumbbells for me.

• Like 1

Hey Teros!

Pumpkin kettlebells!!! Awesome.

How's everything going. I know you're hurting. Are things healing alright?

Hey, thanks for stopping by!  The front of my left ankle was in a little pain but I'm dealing with it. I can't afford to stay off them. I needed to teach 3 ladies how to work out this evening and I did stuff with the 20 pound sledgehammer and some farmer's walks with my 160 lb sandbags. It's hard to demonstrate good form without doing it myself, ya know?

Happy Sunday all. Hope it's relatively painless for everyone.

Happy Sunday! How's everyone doing? 

Not really painless for me, though... DOMS are creeping in >,<

I just posted my Week 2 Challenge Recap - feel free to chime in :D

• Like 1

.: d3li9ht :.

Level 2 Aspiring Assassin

[ STR 3.3 ][ DEX 2.9 ][ STA 4 ][ CON 3.2 ][ WIS 4 ][ CHA 2 ]

Challenges:  #0.5  |  #1.5  |  #3 CURRENT  |  YAYOG PVP (W5D3)  

The Awesome Colorful Spreadsheets 

Hey, thanks for stopping by!  The front of my left ankle was in a little pain but I'm dealing with it. I can't afford to stay off them. I needed to teach 3 ladies how to work out this evening and I did stuff with the 20 pound sledgehammer and some farmer's walks with my 160 lb sandbags. It's hard to demonstrate good form without doing it myself, ya know?

Yea, I get that.

I hope it continues to get better so Spartan Sprint will have an awesome adventurer there!

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Week 3 is up. Welcome to the grind. This is the point in which people start getting bored with the challenge and are most likely to stop trying.  The first two weeks of something are new and people usually have a lot of energy. After this; people tend to not see the results that they want and so they fade off.

Week 3 is up. Welcome to the grind. This is the point in which people start getting bored with the challenge and are most likely to stop trying.  The first two weeks of something are new and people usually have a lot of energy. After this; people tend to not see the results that they want and so they fade off.

798473.gif

(although it's only beginning of week 2 for me, but I'll say it for next week!)

• Like 2

Forever Respawning Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Previous challenges: 01, 02

"Just sitting here on the corner of awesome and bombdiggity..." - unknown

I hope your hands have recovered! I can't even imagine working with 50 pounds, haha. Can you share a picture of the finished product?

Challenge is going well. I've managed to do 12 chair push ups today! (Last week I could do 2)... one step closer to the big girl push ups. Started a week late, so will wait until this week is finished before levelling up.

• Like 2

Forever Respawning Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Previous challenges: 01, 02

"Just sitting here on the corner of awesome and bombdiggity..." - unknown

Those... Halloween dumbbells... Looks so badass! XD

Mera... Wow wow wow congrats on more chair push ups!!! I'm so excited for your progress :D

I had a big presentation yesterday in my laboratory, so I kinda stay away from the Forum since last week... Oh it feels sooo good to be back here! Yesterday I went to the gym with a friend, I did YAYOG week 3 day 3 (after more than a week delay!), and I also succeeded two reps of push up with height between hip & knee! I couldn't got it the 3rd time though hahaha

• Like 2

Those... Halloween dumbbells... Looks so badass! XD

Mera... Wow wow wow congrats on more chair push ups!!! I'm so excited for your progress :D

I had a big presentation yesterday in my laboratory, so I kinda stay away from the Forum since last week... Oh it feels sooo good to be back here! Yesterday I went to the gym with a friend, I did YAYOG week 3 day 3 (after more than a week delay!), and I also succeeded two reps of push up with height between hip & knee! I couldn't got it the 3rd time though hahaha

Thanks. They're tough as hell to use but I'm going to try and build up some reps.

Just keep in mind with pushups that incline is extremely helpful. Doing knee push-ups doesn't activate the lower core, glutes, and legs so it's a big harder to progress that way instead of doing inclines.   Congrats :)

• Like 1

Thanks Teros! And I hope you can progress well with your fabulous dumbbells ;-)

How's everyone weeks? I've been in a mess on writing updates in my own journal orz I need to clean up soon...

• Like 1

Teros - you mentioned in Red's thread about you progressing from wall pushups to real pushups in a year, and that consistency > intensity. Could you share about your consistency progress at that time? Like, do you do pushups for a certain sets everyday, with increasing numbers, etc? Recently I felt that I've been doing things randomly -just for the sake of doing it- but I think having a plan would be better... Please help--

Teros - you mentioned in Red's thread about you progressing from wall pushups to real pushups in a year, and that consistency > intensity. Could you share about your consistency progress at that time? Like, do you do pushups for a certain sets everyday, with increasing numbers, etc? Recently I felt that I've been doing things randomly -just for the sake of doing it- but I think having a plan would be better... Please help--

Sure thing.

When I first started here about 10 challenges ago; I wanted to be able to do pushups but I wasn't even close to being able. The closest I got was back in 6th grade with doing about 5 knee pushups for gym class.  I was 360 pounds when I first came here.  The only thing that I was able to do was wall pushups.

When I first started, I didn't really know what I was doing. I also used a sledgehammer to work out because it was exhausting but fun and felt pretty badass to wield.  My workout was always a mix of sledgehammer stuff and wall pushups.  I tried to never go down a rep.  So if I worked out on Monday, I might do:

20 x 2 gavediggers

20 x 2 butter churn

20 x 2 chop wood

10 x 2 killswitch

8 wall pushups.

When I worked out again on thursday, I might do:

21 x 2 gavediggers

21 x 2 butter churn

20 x 2 chop wood

10 x 2 killswitch

9 wall pushups.

And I just tried to add one more rep or at least stay the same each workout. Over the course of all of the challenges, I would work out anywhere from 2-4 times per week.  Eventually, I was able to do about 40 wall pushups in sets. I could do 4 sets of 10 wall pushups. After that, I felt comfortable enough to drop down to incline pushups:

I used the edge of my desk as the incline. I dropped down my reps to 10.  Then I started again. 10 desk-ups, 11 desk-ups, 12 desk-ups.  There were times I stalled. I remember being stuck at 17 desk-ups for almost a month. My arms just couldn't take it. But one day I was able to power through and I got to 18 and then kept going.

Again, I build up to 40 total (4 sets of 10).  Then I did a lower incline- using my tractor tire:

20140126_195754_zps2c9778d8.jpg

It was more than a foot lower to go from the desk to the tire. Built up again. 10 tire-ups. 11, 12, 13....

I got up to 40 tire-ups and was terrified of doing normal ones.  I stayed at 4x10 tire-ups for over a month; not even attempting regular pushups.  Then there was a mini for the Adventurers on being brave and trying something.  I decided after some encouragement, that this was my moment.  That week, I was so scared of trying it, but I went ahead and tried a pushup. I did one!  I did two!  I did three and freaked out and started to tear up.  I finally did it.  Then I built up again....3, 4, 5.

Last Sunday, I did 50 pushups and my arms hurt for a day or so. I feel fine right now and know that I could do 50 again.  Always remember good form. A pushup is NOT just your arms; it is a full body motion. You need to make sure you keep your abs, back, glutes, and legs tight; or you'll hunch over and hurt yourself. Trust me. I made quite a few mistakes once I was on the floor and doing wide-grip pushups.  If I forget to concentrate and keep my abs/back tight; I'll sag and my lower back will get a horrible sharp pain. I'm under 300 pounds now and I'm not going to back down.  However, don't let your weight be a deterrent for starting now. At 300 pounds, doing a single wide-grip pushup is the equivalent of doing about 170 pounds on a bench press. (A floor pushup is 56% of your bodyweight.)

Also, do NOT do knee pushups.  When on your knees, you don't need to engage your abs, back, glutes, or legs. In other words; all the other muscles that make pushups possible are NOT getting worked with a knee pushup. There might be a rare instance where someone has a back issue and needs to do it, but besides that; it is strongly advised to stay away from knee pushups. It's much better to find a stable height to do incline pushups until you can make the jump into regular pushups.

I never went crazy and tried to do 60 desk-ups, or 100 tire-ups. All that mattered was trying to stay at my current reps, or add ONLY ONE MORE per workout.  Consistency>Intensity when trying to do this. There's no point in pushing yourself so much that you tear your muscles and have a lot of pain. That only means you'll have to rest up longer. It's far better to take the slow and steady route.

If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

• Like 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines