• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Haikoo

Haikoo's Post-Ruck Less Challenging Challenge

Allow myself to introduce....myself.

I'm Koo. I'm a mom and a nerd with a bad habit of not completing my challenge threads, but I have done a lot of great things since joining NF and I plan to keep on going! 

I just completed a GoRuck Challenge in Chicago with Wufkar.

I have just enough energy left to write my goals.

1. Eat Food- You know, the good kind that actually helps my body. Aim for no more than 2 off track foods/meals per week.

2. Work Out- Move purposefully at least 4 times per week. (I will start keeping track of this next week. Right now I'm still recovering from the beating I just paid someone to give me.) I posted in Warriors because I'm planning to get some lifting in now that I'm done training for the crazypants event.

3. HYDRATE!- I did a great job hydrating DURING the ruck, but since then it's been awful. I need to get back to drinking my 8 glasses per day.  

That is all.

• Like 1

Good luck with your challenge! Going to be looking out for ya :D

"This message was brought to you by my fingers which were activated by the electrical signals sent from my brain through a network of nerves and ganglia".

GoRuck Challenge- Chicago - September 12, 2014, Class 1167

Standing in the middle of Millennium Park, in the dark, I found myself wondering for the 483rd time what I had gotten myself into. It was already cold and slightly windy. It was beginning to rain. I periodically found myself hugging the arm of Wufkar, with whom I was about to embark on this adventure. I did this both for comfort and warmth, while we chatted with an Irish couple, one of which looked about as nervous as I.

Cadre Logan and Cadre Brian called us over and all became quiet. After some speech making, we were off. 

We had not traveled far when we began the running. I did train some running. I have reasonable cardio strength. The problem here was Cadre Brian's pace was quite a lot faster than my short legged pace--plus I had extra weight on my back. I started out strong, but damn I lost ground quickly. I'm not sure how far we ran. We stopped 2 or 3 times to let some people catch up and fix some dude's already broken ruck. One guy (who apparently decided to do this thing with an ACL injury) was not fairing well already. My memory is already hazy, but we eventually made our way to Adler Planetarium. At this point I pretty much thought I was going to die. I was struggling. Wufkar was struggling.  It is here that they announce the Welcome Party is about to begin. (What? That wasn't part of the Welcome Party?!)

Now, I have never been to the Adler Planetarium. My first visit was thus spent bunny hopping up its stairs. We missed the time hack on our bunny hopping by a few seconds and were then required to bear crawl--backwards--up said stairs. At this point, I found out just how weak my upper body is. I also gained my first bruises of the night. 

When this was over, we walked over to the parking lot and began sprinting. As a group, each time we made it under our "time hack" we got to drop 4 rucks. We never actually missed the time hack, but being that our group was 75 people, this meant a lot of sprinting. Thankfully, this little body is much better at sprinting than distance running. It was still not easy, but when I was able to catch my breath after each loop, it was much more bearable and I came upon my first of many second winds for the night. After all rucks and team weights were dropped, we packed back up and moved on to the beach. I believe we were at the beach on Northerly Island. 

This is were PT got real. 8 Count Manmakers, Flutterkicks, some sort of 7 count burpee, overhead holds, rolls. Funny story about the rolls. They told us to roll left, then right, and kept switching it up. At one point in my delirium, I rolled the wrong way because I had been on my back at that time he called the direction instead of my stomach--and suddenly left was a different direction. I got at least a small laugh out of that. Then came inchworm pushups. I ended up with this enormous guy's legs on my shoulders. I couldn't even get an inch off the ground. His legs didn't even fit on me. 

Eventually, they lined us up and we linked arms. The moment I had been dreading was here. One step at a time, they moved us waist deep into the water. I squealed. We sad down (kind of--had I actually sat down, I'd have been way under the water). After this torture, they bought us out, formed us into lines and sent us back in doing low crawls face first into the water. This.Was.Hard. This is the point at which I truly began shivering. After this point, I was never warm again, no matter how much PT we did.

We moved on to the next beach up Lakeshore Drive, where we took a few minutes to find someone who was our match weight and try to lift them into a buddy carry. Here we also met some animals. Da Bears crawls were first. I showed poor performance here, having to crawl on my knees the last half. The wind was awful. The waves were 6 feet tall at least. I was shivering so hard I could hardly hold myself up. Next were Seal walks. I ended up switching to low crawls because I just could not hold myself up. Some dude was puking during this part. I did not look. Lastly were duck walks. (Romantic ducks--on the beach). I got through these, barely, but my hands on the ground were the only reason.  When this was all done they had us spread out and link arms again. Here I almost began to cry. Please no. Not the water again. I was shivering so hard my teeth were chattering.I almost began to panic. They stepped us forward, back forward forward forward--until the surf ALMOST touched our toes--then turned us around and marched us away. I have never taken such a deep breath of relief.

The rest of the night is somewhat of a blur. I remember I peed with a bunch of strangers against some sort of shed near the beach before we moved on. I remember we had to stop and do push ups in the middle of the path because people left gaps between themselves and the people in front of them and were not able to Reach in time. My pushups were more like me being on my hands and knees trying not to allow my arms to unlock and smash my face into the concrete. I recall that my hands were so cold and shaky that I could not get my food out of my pack and I spent a miserable hour or more very hungry. Thankfully, Wufkar was able to help me out there while we bonded next to a tree. 

I remember we took casualties and trying to get them carried was an enormous clusterfuck. People were not working together, we didn't have a good plan and even when we had an okay plan, we just could not execute said plan. I suspect this particular group was probably one of the worst Cadre has probably seen when it came to the teamwork aspect. We couldn't even carry people half a block. Eventually he put 2 different (more experienced) ruckers in charge and we made a little more progress. Finally, though, Cadre stepped in and basically FORCED us to work together by giving us a time hack on switching the casualties every minute or so. 

Every once in a while I looked for the purple jacket that was Wufkar. She's still here. I'm still here. We're still here.

I bonded with a couple more girls behind a couple of different bushes.

I carried a really heavy ruck on my back while I carried mine on my front. I told Cadre that I thought I was about 2 inches shorter during this.

I remember cold. So cold. I have never been so cold in my life. I shivered all.night.long. It just never stopped. I made many cold noises. There were very close to whining. But I could not help it. They just escaped from me unannounced. I hugged strangers and huddled with strangers.  I nearly cried--but I did not. Cadre Brian shared a story with me about his diving training and how they had to live on the beach for two weeks. He knew that cold. Just when you warmed up at night you had to go back into it. Amazing. I am not sure I have the stuff to suffer that for 2 weeks. But then again, I didn't think I had the stuff to suffer it for one night.

Eventually we arrived back at Millennium Park and i was surprised to learn that the sun was rising. We brought up the sun with some Sun Gods and brought Sally Up and Down. I began to feel at least a little less cold and wet, but the shivering did not stop. 

We embarked on another mission, to the lake front. Voices were more cheery by this point, as the sun was coming up. There were more smiles and laughter--but some were obviously hurting. We tried to hurry, but enough people were hurting by this point that they kept yelling for the leaders to slow down. I knew there was no way were were going to make time. One person made me mad by making a comment that the slow people shouldn't even be here--they should be at home working on their knitting. This gave me a flash of anger. I turned around and told him that wasn't very much in the team spirit. He mumbled some comeback that I can't remember. Had I had my wits about me, I'd have told him, " But they ARE here, and it's our job as a team to get us all through." I can't help but feel some of these people missed the entire point of this event. I find that a bit sad. 

Once we arrived at the beach, we again linked arms. They turned us around and walked us backward into the sunrise and the 6 foot waves of Lake Michigan. It didn't feel nearly as cold this time. I was knocked over once, but luckily everyone had a good grip. 

When this was over, we formed back up and took our last walk together as class 1167. Of course, one of the first things we did was fail a Reach and end up on a concrete path doing push ups. I squeezed out a few more knee push ups that I didn't know I had in me.

When we had almost reached Millennium Park again, a crazy guy in an SUV pulled up honking like a mad man and yelling "Go Ruck! Go Ruckers! Wooo! You guys are awesome!" etc... This made me smile as I realized what we had just been through and that we were almost done. 

We moved on and parked ourselves under The Bean (Cloudgate) where Cadre promptly reminded us that he had not forgotten our time hack and that we had, in fact, arrived 18 minutes late. A collective groan was heard. He told us he would go light on us, however, and we only had to do 18 squats--but in Unison with him and his "up" "down." Calls. The group itself messed this up enough times that some people started getting mad--but in the end, we did it!! We formed back up in our field, they spoke once more to us about the night and why we were there. I stood there shivering from the cold, listening, nearly crying at the emotion of being done, the emotion over the words that were being spoken, the emotion of actually making it through. I have never done anything so difficult in my life.

Next came the best hug ever as Cadre Brian handed me my patch. How can a simple velcro patch invoke such pride? 

People began to disperse right away. The cold was too much. All we could think about was getting warm again. I found hubby and nerds. I joined warm nerd hug huddles (and hubby hugs, too). I peed. In a toilet. I was Chai Tea'd. I hobbled back to the Nerditat and took a shower so hot my skin turned bright pink. After that, it was food at Yolk. Back to the Nerditat and onto a nap. 
It's days later. I am home. I feel tired, sore, achey. My throat hurts like crazy. I'm not sure if I have a virus or I just managed to inhale/swallow a lot of sand. I'm in awe, but still disbelief. Did I really do that? I feel like my temperature still has not regulated. My lats have been SO sore from being hunched up in cold. But I did it. I actually survived. During the event I kept saying I was not going to do this again. Much like childbirth, the pain is fading and I'm considering doing it again some time. Yep, I'm crazy.
  • Like 5

*sneaks in to stalk the Koo*

*pretends not to notice*

FOOD IS GOOD. MOVE IS GOOD. WATER IS GOOD. KOOOOO IS GOOD.

I am Koo.

A friend of wuf is a friend of mine...most of the time.

Hi!

Wow, congrats on the ruck and good luck with the challenge!

Thank you!

We're following the Koo, Koo, Koo

How about you, you, you?

You can ruck too, too, too

We're following the Koo, Koo, Koo

Great. Now that song is in my head.

Hooray!

!!!!!!

hay-girl-hay.jpg

Hay!!!!

I came for the Koo, then Maigrey posted something and ... where am I? :)

Hay Gurl! Hay!

Good luck with your challenge! Going to be looking out for ya :D

Thanks!!

Hope I got you all! Thanks for stopping by!!!

Ha, I forgot about our massive GoRuck huddle while people peed in the lot. I was reading this and laughing because I remember those things from my perspective and your perspective gives me another one.

<3 you.

We had to leave the beach shortly after midnight because we were freezing.  I missed the end of the ruck because I was totally disorganized in the morning.

You went through hell, lady, and came out the other side.  Super proud to have been able to see even a part of that experience for you.

My bear crawl mantra is always "FACE DOWN, ASS UP, THAT'S THE WAY WE LIKE TO RUCK" but I may adopt DA BEAAAR CRAWL every so often as well.

You did great. Troooper. <3

Ha, I forgot about our massive GoRuck huddle while people peed in the lot. I was reading this and laughing because I remember those things from my perspective and your perspective gives me another one.

<3 you.

Hah! I can't guarantee the accuracy of all of that. Sometime after getting wet I became completely delirious and I have no idea what was going on.  <3

We had to leave the beach shortly after midnight because we were freezing.  I missed the end of the ruck because I was totally disorganized in the morning.

You went through hell, lady, and came out the other side.  Super proud to have been able to see even a part of that experience for you.

It's okay, we will overlook your Canadian weaknesses.

And thanks :)

My bear crawl mantra is always "FACE DOWN, ASS UP, THAT'S THE WAY WE LIKE TO RUCK" but I may adopt DA BEAAAR CRAWL every so often as well.

You did great. Troooper. <3

Haha! Thanks. Next time I'll sing that song for you.

So so so soooo proud of you! Even though I couldn't stand o shadow the whole thing (left after low crawl into the water), I was super impressed by your performance that evening. You are capable of so much and I'm thrilled that you came out of the experience just as you should. Love you, koodoodle!

• Like 1

So so so soooo proud of you! Even though I couldn't stand o shadow the whole thing (left after low crawl into the water), I was super impressed by your performance that evening. You are capable of so much and I'm thrilled that you came out of the experience just as you should. Love you, koodoodle!

Aww thanks :) Still think we need to do one together some day!!! Stop hurting yourself!

Man that write up was good. :)   You made me feel the feels.

...Vicariously.

Which is, likely the only way I'll ever feel Ruck feels, haha.  So it works out great.

Seriously though, still so much amaze.

Good plan for the recovery-challenge too.

Man that write up was good. :) You made me feel the feels.

...Vicariously.

Which is, likely the only way I'll ever feel Ruck feels, haha. So it works out great.

Seriously though, still so much amaze.

Good plan for the recovery-challenge too.

Hey you never know. Maybe someday we can have a midlife crisis together and I will talk you into it........... ;)

• Like 1

Day 1:

Water-check. I had at least 8 glasses. Most of it decided to release in the middle of the night. -_-

Food-check. Didn't eat anything awful

Workout-still holding off on this one. My right hamstring is still all "what the what??" And my lower right back got into the mix yesterday.

Throat still hurts but has improved the last 2 days. Cough is lessening. On the mend.

I shall be human again soon.

• Like 1