Broba Fett, Episode IV - The Return of a New Broba Strikes Back

INSAIYAN

Introduction

What's up nerds? I'm back! I injured my knee a few months ago and have been out of the gym for a while. While my eating habits didn't return to their former awfulness, I wasn't tracking what I ate and it was a party season for my wife and I. The cool thing is that I gained less than 5lbs. Now, I'm seeing a physical therapist for the knee and I'm cleared for all upper body work. Check out my signature for links to my back story and previous challenges. In summary, at my worst I was 250lbs and am currently about 220lbs. I was a devout disciple of StrongLifts 5x5 up until my injury and I follow a variation of the If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) philosophy of dieting. Let's get on with the challenge:

Main Quest - Build a Better Body and Find a Better Job

Prepare my body for a rigorous strength and size building routine once my knee is healed. I will cut more fat, complete PT, and have my muscles used to lifting again first.

Find a new job and do the necessary prep work to land one that will have an excellent ratio of pain to compensation. It's time to move on from my current place.

Goal 1 - Counting Calories and Protein

Calorie Goal: 1750kcal

Protein Goal: 180g

I'll be eating in a steep deficit, while getting plenty of protein at approximately 0.81g-protein/lb-body weight.

I will evaluate my success by means of two methods: total days logged/total days possible and the percentage of the 20lb weight loss goal that I achieve. Whatever score is higher will determine my grade.

Total Possible Stat Gain: +2 CON, +2 CHA - For having a healthier, better looking body

Goal 2 - Lifting 3x/week

At the recommendation of Chairbrokey in my knee rehab thread, I will be utilizing a modified version of Layne Norton's PHAT Routine. I'll be skipping the leg days in favor of PT and rest. This puts me in the gym 3x/week, and at PT once. Success will be evaluated on workouts and PT completed/workouts and PT possible.

Total Possible Stat Gain: +2 STR, +2 STA - This is more volume than I'm used to so STA growth is merited.

Goal 3 - Sleep 8 hours/night

This one is a simple rule, but a hard one to follow. I need to be in bed by 10:00PM with all electronics off. Mobile games at my bedside make this a challenge. I then need to fall asleep within the hour. I need to wake up at 7:00AM for work, so that will give me the hours I need. This will help me recover from my workouts, give me the energy I need for work, and combined with recently quitting marijuana cold turkey, give me an overall higher energy level.

Total Possible Stat Gain: +2 CON - More sleep will lead to better health and energy

Goal 4 - Job Search

Week 1 - Tweak my Resume and apply to at least 3 jobs

All Other Weeks - Apply to at least 3 jobs

At 6 apps every two weeks, I'm doing twice what the unemployment office would have me do, but it may still not be enough to land the job I want, so I'll reevaluate mid challenge.

This will be rated on completion, with a different stat gain, depending on whether I land a job or not:

Total Possible Stat Gain - Job Acquired: +2 WIS, +2 CHA - All Points Gained if Job Acquired - I'll be wiser, but I'll also have new positive energy

Total Possible Stat Gain - No Offer: +4 WIS - Score based on 3 job/week criteria - jobs applied to/total possible job applications - I'll definitely be wiser for the effort, even if I don't land the job

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

Maybe check out the app: Sleep Cycle, by northcube AB

It measures your sleep cycle by your movement level while you sleep, and wakes you when you're closest to being awake in your cycle. Although, friends of mine say it doesn't work as well with SO's in the bed with you. Might be worth a shot though.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

A guy at my work uses that program. I'll check it out. We have a big foam bed so she shouldn't disturb it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love this challenge, and i second darwin, Sleepcycle is amazing, though once my body got use to it, i use to just snooze, but i'll give it another go soon! A very good app! Looking forward to seeing your strength develop! 

Level five Orc Assassin/warrior hybrid

Str: 12 || Dexterity: 6 || Stamina: 5 || Constituion: 7.5 || Wis: 10 || Charisma: 6.5

Squat 135kg (1*5) || Deadlift 150kg (1*5) || Bench press 77.5kg (1*3) || || OH press 52.5kg (1*3).

Weight Loss story Current Challenge.

Previous challenges: #1//#2//#3 //#4//#5

Love this challenge, and i second darwin, Sleepcycle is amazing, though once my body got use to it, i use to just snooze, but i'll give it another go soon! A very good app! Looking forward to seeing your strength develop! 

Thanks, bambamty. Now I need to download this thing haha.

Good luck with your challenge!

Thanks!

Update: Thursday, September 18, 2014

My wife and I procrastinated on Amazon Fresh and forgot to order the Greek yogurt that I eat for breakfast. My macros will be a little off this week, and I've fallen into the temptation of drinking a few of the remaining Sprites from party month to quench my sugar thirst. We should have a fully stocked healthy pantry by the end of the week. We're going to a birthday party/limo ride Friday night, so I'll chalk it up to a cheat night. This should be the last big event for a while. On the plus side, I have been eating less and I have been preparing most of my lunches and all of my dinners. I'll post numbers on Sunday.

The gym has been my main failing point - I haven't gone yet. Up until today it's been hot as hell in Los Angeles and I know that the gym floor gets hot even on a temperate day. I've been under a lot of stress from work and I've been using the heat as an excuse to stay home and game. I'll suck it up and make something happen between now and Sunday.

Sleep has been going well. I've been getting 8 hours+ each night. I'm going to try out sleepcycle tonight. I could see it serving me well when I start going to the gym before work next week.

No progress has been made on the job front, but I'm saving that for Sunday.

So the current plan is: Finish this week to the best of my ability, get to the gym at least once - ideally twice, rein in my calories and get that protein (allowing for Friday night and a hangover breakfast), try out sleep cycle, and accomplish my job goal on Sunday.

Friday, September 19, 2014

I'm off to a rough start, but let's start with positives first:

1. I've tracked my sleep hours every night but one AND I've been getting my eight hours. I'm pretty sure I got 8 on the day I didn't record, but I was too flustered at work to remember to write it down. In the future I will log this data on my phone, because I finally got around to downloading the sleep cycle app.

2. Though not meeting my Calorie and protein goals, I am eating less than I have been during the past month. I need to eliminate or make difficult to acquire, sources of temptation - namely sugary drinks. I also need to summon the energy to cook my dinners and lunches. I'll probably end up batch cooking steak and chicken for next week.

3. My wife's assistant's birthday party is tonight, so I will have Saturday to deal with my hangover, and spend Sunday accomplishing my job goal.

4. I got myself to gym once and used it as an opportunity to try out to the new lifts. My repertoire has been pretty limited until now, doing months of SL 5x5, so taking the time to acclimate myself will prove valuable.

I see myself attacking this challenge full force next week. This week was getting the engine warmed up.

• Like 1

BROBA! Sleep is always the hardest for me to stay consistent with as well. I played laser tag on Friday night and I dominated on hits, even though our team lost. Apparently we were supposed to be attacking the other team's base instead of shooting everyone? Anyway I give my Boba Fett t-shirt full credit for my marksmanship skills.

I really like that you are giving yourself points for the process of the job hunt even if it doesn't end with the job you want in the next 6 weeks. You are right that you'll gain knowledge and experience no matter what. May the force be with you! 

• Like 1

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky." - Michael Scott.

And you as well.

I remember the good old days of laser tag. I'd run defense, crouching down and camping our own base. That Boba shirt must put you in a league of your own. I really should get a group started over here to go occasionally.

I figured it could be a stretch to land a job in 6 weeks, so I scored it accordingly. Thanks for checkin in!

Monday, September 22, 2014 - Week One Summary

I tracked 3/7 days of the week. Not having a fully stocked pantry and a bit of party weekend them me off here, but I was still tracking where I could. Chalk this one up to a warm up - I still lost a lb. :)

Goal 2 - Lifting 3x/week

I had a hard time getting the momentum going, but I managed to get into the gym before work once this week, putting me at 1/3. On the plus side, I was able to get a feel for the new lifts in this program that will take some getting used to.

Goal 3 - Sleep 8 hours/night

I scored a 4/7 here and would have almost aced it if I had recorded Friday and Saturday night. I finally tried out Sleepcycle last night. It's interesting and I'm curious as to how it will work once the 5 night calibration is over.

Goal 4 - Job Search

This was the only goal where I completely dropped the bomb. I was way too out of it this Sunday, so I'll be working double time. Luckily, I came across my previous resume, which only needs some minor additions and it will be ready for action.

There's not much more to say other than bring on week 2!

I'm really enjoying the Sleep Cycle app and am looking forward to it being calibrated after 3 more nights. I have my diet dialed in for today and more groceries arrive tonight.

I had to have a conversation with my wife about my lifestyle changes last night. I was met with some resistance: "After all that counting, don't you have an idea of what works? I'm sick of you having to find the nutrition labels for everything. We can't start a meal until you've punched all your data into your phone." I explained to her that the counting and regimentation is what helps me stick to my goals and that we'll still have our cheat dinner at the end of the week and share some wine when she has a rough day. The proof is in the pudding. I've lost 30lbs counting calories before. I'm not exactly sure where this is coming from. I know that sharing meals is a bonding activity, but she needs to understand that this is one of my things, just as all the time she puts into advancing her career is her thing.  She also is a bit overweight due to stress eating and work, so perhaps my losing weight makes her insecure? I've tried to get her to go on walks, but that is always inconsistent, because she's usually too tired. Marriage can make things complicated... /rant off.

Any suggestions as to how to deal with this better would be hot. My wife and I usually agree on everything - we're practically a hivemind.

I'm really enjoying the Sleep Cycle app and am looking forward to it being calibrated after 3 more nights. I have my diet dialed in for today and more groceries arrive tonight.

I had to have a conversation with my wife about my lifestyle changes last night. I was met with some resistance: "After all that counting, don't you have an idea of what works? I'm sick of you having to find the nutrition labels for everything. We can't start a meal until you've punched all your data into your phone." I explained to her that the counting and regimentation is what helps me stick to my goals and that we'll still have our cheat dinner at the end of the week and share some wine when she has a rough day. The proof is in the pudding. I've lost 30lbs counting calories before. I'm not exactly sure where this is coming from. I know that sharing meals is a bonding activity, but she needs to understand that this is one of my things, just as all the time she puts into advancing her career is her thing.  She also is a bit overweight due to stress eating and work, so perhaps my losing weight makes her insecure? I've tried to get her to go on walks, but that is always inconsistent, because she's usually too tired. Marriage can make things complicated... /rant off.

Any suggestions as to how to deal with this better would be hot. My wife and I usually agree on everything - we're practically a hivemind.

Not 100% on how to get someone else on board with counting, but i'm sure an explanation about how it helps you would make her see your view point? Congrats on the weight loss, amazing effort! 

Str: 12 || Dexterity: 6 || Stamina: 5 || Constituion: 7.5 || Wis: 10 || Charisma: 6.5

Squat 135kg (1*5) || Deadlift 150kg (1*5) || Bench press 77.5kg (1*3) || || OH press 52.5kg (1*3).

I read posts like this and I'm glad I'm not married... So take that into account.

But for me, realistically, I don't wasn't to track forever, and I mostly treat it as a way to practice for when I don't/can't.

Is there any way you can "know" without tracking how much you're usually getting at dinner? Then just spot check once in a while when you eat something weird.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Not 100% on how to get someone else on board with counting, but i'm sure an explanation about how it helps you would make her see your view point? Congrats on the weight loss, amazing effort! 

Telling her that I track to keep myself organized and accountable helped downgrade her assessment of what I was doing from asinine to "This is one of those things Mr. Fett feels he has to do, but I still don't like it". You should have seen her reaction 6 months ago when I was trying out the Paleo diet.

I read posts like this and I'm glad I'm not married... So take that into account.

But for me, realistically, I don't wasn't to track forever, and I mostly treat it as a way to practice for when I don't/can't.

Is there any way you can "know" without tracking how much you're usually getting at dinner? Then just spot check once in a while when you eat something weird.

*Shrugs* Pluses and minuses...

Perhaps I'll save the counting for after shared meals. Fortunately, a majority of the things I eat are logged in my macro counting database. I too want to move away from counting at some point, but not until I'm under 200 with a BF% that I'm happy with. Once the 20lbs in 10 weeks concludes, I plan on shedding the leftovers to 200, and then going on a bulk, before one more cut to obtain that goal.

Gym day incoming. Also signed up for myfitnesspal, now that I had a coworker show me how to enter my own items and tweak it to fit my goals. My lunch is a roast beef sandwich that my wife ordered from Amazon Fresh and while it looks delicious, it bugs me that I can't log it properly. I am going to just make note that I ate it and go from there. I have 443 calories left on the day, once I count in my dinner, snacks, and protein shake later. Tomorrow I should be able to track with absolute precision. I had a good talk with my wife about my dieting and we reagreed on our original compromise of 1 cheat meal with her/week.

• Like 1

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Yesterday was a good day for tracking. Myfitnesspal sure helps. I'm starting to get that feeling hungry most of the time feeling - that's when you know it's working.

I hit the gym for my first serious session of the challenge, not just dicking around with the weights, actually following the routine.

It was brutal, but that was to be expected after 2 months off. I was also trying some new movements. My bodyweight exercises were sorely lacking, granted I haven't done any since the early years of college.

Here's what I did:

Bench Press: 1x15x135lbs, 1x8x185lbs, 3x3x205lbs

- I was doing my old warm up and I ended up wearing myself out. I'll be shooting for the full 3x5 next workout.

Dips: 1x5x100lbs, 1x4x100lbs

- These were awkward and humbling, but I got a feel for the movement. I used 120lbs of assistance. My goal by the end of the challenge is to use less than 80.

Overhead Press: 1x8x95, 1x7x95

- Same as before, but felt heavier at a lower weight.

Dumbbell Incline Row: 1x8x35, 3x5x40

- These were easy

Pull-ups: 0

- The assisted machine was in use, so I tried an unassisted one. Almost got it. Yet another humbling experience that spawned a new goal for me - do 10 unassisted.

EZ Bar Curls: 1x6x75, 1x10x55, 1x8x55, 1x6x55

- Had to go lighter at the increased volume

Skullcrushers: 1x5x55, 1x8x55

- Somewhat awkward learning experience at first.

As I gain strength and stamina and lose weight, this should get markedly easier. My goal by the end of the challenge is to be able to complete the workout, even if I have to use assisted dips and pull-ups.

Off to the gym again today. At first I felt really sore, even two days later, but I'm going to go regardless.  Sleep Cycle finally calibrated, and oddly gave one of my more restless looking nights the top score for sleep quality. Even if it isn't perfect, it's a handy alarm clock and it does let me see things like "woke up to get a drink at 3 AM", supposedly wakes me at the optimum time, and I can track variables that may be affecting my sleep.

I'm down to 215.6lbs. It's probably mostly water weight, but weight lost is weight lost in my book. Will report later on the workout.

• Like 1

Off to the gym again today. At first I felt really sore, even two days later, but I'm going to go regardless.  Sleep Cycle finally calibrated, and oddly gave one of my more restless looking nights the top score for sleep quality. Even if it isn't perfect, it's a handy alarm clock and it does let me see things like "woke up to get a drink at 3 AM", supposedly wakes me at the optimum time, and I can track variables that may be affecting my sleep.

I'm down to 215.6lbs. It's probably mostly water weight, but weight1 lost is weight lost in my book. Will report later on the workout.

Sounds like you're doing great on the weight loss! Congrats!!

• Like 1

As a fellow food tracker and married person, it sounds like while you consider food tracking to be "your thing", you are making it her thing. The way you put it, it sounds like you are making her wait to eat until you have all your info in, limiting her cheat meal to when you want to have a cheat meal and potentially talking a lot about macros and portion size and all that; which to put it bluntly sounds like it could be kind of annoying, especially if she has any insecurity about her health/weight (and I don't mean to generalize, but as a lady, she probably does). 

All that said, it sounds like you are doing it with the best intentions. You found a system for eating that helps you to get where you want to be and you want to share that with a person you love so they can be just as happy as you are. Additionally, it is easier when the person you are sharing most of your meals with has similar goals to you so it would benefit everyone if you could work together.

When I first started paleo I did this to my husband. It was hard for me to cut some foods I really love, but as I noticed that it made me feel better, I wanted him to "see the light" too. He was not having it, he is a great cook/foodie and does not like to feel limited by eating rules. After I had been doing paleo for about a year after I had backed off on telling him all the benefits and trying to convince him to give it a shot, one day he decided to try it, and really liked it. Hopefully if you just keep doing what you are doing without making her feel guilty/insecure etc. she will figure out how to adapt to your new way of managing food. Based on my experience, the less you put it in her face, the more likely she might be to try it.  Food is so weirdly personal, and being told what to do about it, even from a person you love and trust completely, can be uncomfortable and even hurtful. 

Here is what I do that keeps my tracking that you might find helpful. This process helps me to not obsess over tracking, to have a plan, and to not really involve my husband (who is actually trying to gain weight while I am trying to lose which is a whole different can of worms). Each morning when I first get to work I take a few minutes to enter the foods I am planning to eat for the day which helps me to make an eating plan to keep to as well as saving time by doing a bug chunk of the work in one go. Then in the evening I correct the things that changed and usually need to add dinner because I usually don't know what dinner will be until it is time to make it.  I just do that on my phone when we are watching tv or whatever in the evening. I might ask my husband, how many ounces of meat do you think that was, or how much butter he put into the sweet potatoes, but that is about the extent of involving him.  Especially as you use myfitnesspal more and your most frequent foods are in there so you can just click them, it will become easier. 

As for going for walks...I would get a little tricky. I would say, tell me about how work is going (as that is something that sounds important to her from what you wrote). As she starts, say, let's walk while we talk, but I am really interested to hear about your day/your crazy boss/your ambitions. No one is ever to tired to complain about work, and if she is caught up in talking about something that is interesting to her, she likely won't even notice that the walk is work. Walking with my husband around our neighborhood in the evening is one of my favorite things, we talk about all kinds of stuff, usually the future and our plans. I find that walking is such a nice background to that, it kind of helps the blood flow to the brain or something. It is a great bonding time, not a chore. 

Good luck and awesome job on your workouts and weight loss!

• Like 1

Lwow.... thanks for some great advice there!

As a fellow food tracker and married person, it sounds like while you consider food tracking to be "your thing", you are making it her thing.

You nailed it right on the head here. She's made it clear that she's sick of hearing about it all the time. I can be considerate by being more of a "stealth logger" or doing it when she's not around.

I really like your method for getting her to go on walks.

So much good stuff in there... thanks again!

Monday, September 29, Week 2 In Summary:

I started using myfitnesspal and I love it. I tracked on Monday and Tuesday using my spread sheet and started tracking there on Wednesday and tracked through Friday. I did not track on Saturday, because my grandfather took my wife and I out for our belated birthdays. The martinis were strong and the food was salty. Sunday was just a mess. I shot back up to 221.0lbs as of this morning, but I expect that number to fall somewhat rapidly now that I'm back in my eating routine. As I said in the 20lbs,10 weeks thread, that was the last major party event before Thanksgiving, so I stay consistent all week.

Week 2 Score: 5/7

Goals have been updated slightly to allow for a little more food.

My starting diet was a bit extreme and this allows for a sanity snack.

Calories: 2,000kcal

Protein: 175g

Goal 2 - Lifting 3x/week

I feel ashamed as a warrior, but hell, at least its a new week. I couldn't get myself there for a second and third time. It's a new week and all three workouts will happen. I'm going tonight, beginning with the one workout that I did last week.

Week 2 Score: 1/3

Goal 3 - Sleep 8 hours/night Track Sleep Nightly

I don't know what exactly to make of some of my Sleep Cycle results now that it's calibrated, but I do feel a little more rested when I wake up generally. At the very least it's waking me up early and encouraging me to be mindful of my sleeping habits.

I'm changing this goal from sleep 8 hours to simply track my sleep. I've been sleeping about 7 hours pretty consistently and have been tracking every night.

Week 2 Score: 7/7

Goal 4 - Job Search

Dropped the ball again - just have to move forward, I have the time to do two weeks of 6 apps per week or however I want to split it up. It will happen.

Week 2 Score: 0/3

Today marks a turning point in this challenge. It's time to start taking it seriously - particularly my gym routine and the job search. I have the sleep tracking on lock down and only need to rein in the diet goal a bit.

• Like 1

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

I made it to the gym. I started the routine from the beginning and here's how it went:

Dips: 1x5xBW - half dips, 2x10x(BW-120lbs)

Both benches were occupied when I arrived, so I jumped into dips first. Starting to get the hang of these and going to BW-100lbs next time. The fact that I started these fresh helped.

Bench Press: 1x8x135lbs, 1x3x205lbs, 1x1x205lbs

These hurt and it drives me nuts that I was comfortably doing 5x5 of 230lbs a few months ago. Alas, my strength will return...

Overhead Press: 1x10x95, 1x8x95lbs

- Almost got both sets of 10. My muscles were on fire during at the end of the second set.

Dumbbell Incline Row: 3x5x45lbs

- These continue to be easy, but I can probably bring my shoulder blades together more.

Pull-ups: 1x5x(BW-140lbs), 1x4x(BW-140lbs)

- These were brutal, but like dips, I feel like its an exercise that I'll slowly but steadily improve at.

EZ Bar Curls: 3x10x55lbs

- Completed the sets and felt the burn. I may increase the weight next time.

Skullcrushers: 1x10x55lbs, 2x5x55lbs

- These still feel awkward and I was exhausted as this was the last lift of the routine.

Did 25 minutes on the stationary bike for knee rehab.

• Like 1

I'm a little behind on this conversation, with regards to calorie and macro counting with your wife and whatnot. I have a similar issue with my boyfriend.

One think I've found helpful is to have a plan at the beginning of the week for what dinner is going to be every day. That way I can punch in the recipe ahead of time, pre-log what I'm going to eat, and then dinnertime is uninterrupted by my screwing with my phone for ten minutes. Sometimes I'll even pre-measure out the ingredients for him if it's something he's cooking. It takes effort out of his cooking and I know he's not put in a quarter cup of olive oil when a tablespoon would have sufficed.

Although I'm still going to get funny looks when I'm measuring out a bowl of pasta on the scale, it takes way less time out from him.

Solid advice and the part at the end made me laugh because I used a 16oz plastic cup from the kitchen at work to measure out my lunch the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're one of the few Mandalorians left alive in the galaxy, You've got a vendetta, purpose, and you're not afraid to barge anyone out of your way to get there. (Totaly wildly inaccurate statement about you, just one i grab from your name) OR are Mandalorians just soul dry mercs for hire these days...? who knows

As a man who has different views on health/food/fitness to his wife I'm seconding the above advice, don't stop counting if it works for you, Her perception of the situation is what matters to her, not that you count the cals. Ask her what specifically about the situation is upsetting her

Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Hows the job hunting coming? 

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines