CoderGatherer - Getting My Life Back

Introduction: Hi! I'm Meg! I had both of my hips replaced in the last 3 months. I am still in the healing process, but feeling very frustrated. It is hard to walk and I am constantly taking pain meds.

Main Quest: Gain mobility in my legs and be able to walk freely again without soreness or stiffness.

Mini Quest #1: Do at least 5 minutes of stretches and hip mobility exercises every day.

A = 5 minutes for 42 days, B = 5 minutes for 35 days, C = 5 minutes for 28 days

A = 3 DEX, B = 2 DEX, C = 1 DEX

Mini Quest #2: Take at least 1 yoga class per week. Based on my current schedule, this will most likely be on either Wednesday night or Saturday morning. 

A = 6 sessions of yoga, B = 4 sessions of yoga, C = 2 sessions of yoga

A = 3 STR, B = 2 STR, C = 1 STR

Mini Quest #3: Drink at least 64 oz of water every day.

A = 64 oz of water for 42 days, B = 64 oz of water for 35 days, C = 64 oz of water for 28 days

A = 3 CON, B = 2 CON, C = 1 CON

Life Quest: Survive wedding! But really, manage at least one wedding related task per week

A =  I survivied!

A = 1 WIS

Motivation: I would like to be able to climb stairs, ride a bike and sit in lotus pose. I'd also like to be able to tie my shoes by kneeling down. Yeah, that'd be cool. :)

• Like 4

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

STR 9 | WIS 6 | CON 8 | CHA 3 | DEX 6 | INT 6

Current Challenge

Chapter 1 - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 -Chapter 4 - Chapter 5 - Chapter 6

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Hi Meg,

This is a really brave quest, I will be here to cheer you on as well!

I hope your pain diminishes and that you will see results soon enough to keep you positive, even if they are small. Keep us posted!

I also have health issues (I have an autoimmune desease resulting in my body slowly eating away at my thyroid), it doesn't compare to what you must be going through, but I think I can understand your need to take action and regain control over your body, simply to be able to do those everyday activities again. I'm sure we can keep each others motivated in NF and if you ever feel down, message me! :) 

Go Meg!!! Sending you lots of positive energy ^_^

• Like 1

Dancing Sylph - Level 9 Monk/Druid

Former Captain of the Nerdians of the Fitalaxy

Current Challenge

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" - We came forth, and once more saw the stars, Dante

Mini Quest Time! 

= Specific

= Measurable

= Attainable/Achievable

= Realistic/Reasonable

= Timeous

Here are some questions to put your goals to the test:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable? Yes, I think it is achievable. It will take time but it is a reasonable goale

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on? Nope, each mini-quest contributes to the main quest. I'm focusing on only one action item at a time.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? Yes, the goals are realistic. I don't think they can really be scaled back any smaller. 

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?  I will be using SparkPeople to track my food and water, Fitocracy to track my workouts, and HabitRPG to keep me motivated for all 3.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€? All mini goals are pass/fail. I will either meet my goals or I will fail them.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? If I become injured or ill, I should still be able to make my goals. I'm already injured, so that won't set me back. The only mini-quest that may be deterred by illness would be a weekly yoga session. If I'm unable to attend an in-class session, I will at least fit in a 10 minute meditation. This won't require any physical exertion, but will still help me mentally and emotionally.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those? Yes, my wedding is coming up soon. (First week in October!) Because of this, I knew tracking all of my calories every day would be out the window. So I traded it out for drinking 64 oz of water. Much easier to keep track of and accomplish.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? Nope, I think all of my goals actually complement each other. Especially the 5 minutes of stretching and once weekly yoga.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them? Yes, I've already set up systems to track my daily stretches and water consumption. I've also determined that Wednesday and Saturday will be the best day to attend a yoga class.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? My energy is focused on my main quest. To keep focused I have pushed off diving in to a new programming language, knitting Christmas presents and taking a finance course. I hope to do all of these things later, but they can wait until I regain my health.

Your mini quest: Make sure your goals are definitely SMART.

For completing this mini quest you will receive an additional +1WIS at the end of the 6 weeks.

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." - Eleanor Roosevelt

So far so good. I was able to complete my two daily quests both today and yesterday. I'm in my last 24 hours of hip precautions. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the all clear from the surgeon and be able to move without fear. I'm also praying that everything has healed properly and that the x-rays come out amazing! *fingers crossed*

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

I'm going to follow this thread because I just watched my Nana struggle with hip surgery so I've seen how tough that is.  I'm really going to be rooting for you!  Don't let an injury get the better of you!

Also, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!  That's coming up really soon.

• Like 1

Onyx Rose / Gargoyle / Adventurer

Level: 0

STR: 0 / DEX: 0 / STA: 0 / CON: 0 / WIS: 0 / CHA: 0 

Current Challenge: Lose 40-50 lbs

"You don't have a soul.  You are a Soul.  You have a body." - C.S. Lewis

I'm really inspired by your dedication to your health and healing process--I think your decision to hold off on other "quests" until your health is regained is smart. Focus is something I constantly struggle with, along with frustration. I'll be cliche and echo the "stay positive" sentiment, because framing really can help sometimes. I also highly recommended breathing (deeeeeeep breaths) and celebrating even the least significant seeming bit of progress. 

Glad things are going well! Can't wait to hear more!

SunLynx
Wood Elf Scout (Hopeful)

Level 0 
current battlelog

I'm going to follow this thread because I just watched my Nana struggle with hip surgery so I've seen how tough that is.  I'm really going to be rooting for you!  Don't let an injury get the better of you!

Also, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!  That's coming up really soon.

Thanks Onyxrose! I hope your Nana feels better soon. I found that its a lot easier to heal if you have the right attitude about your recovery. If she can stay positive, she will have a much easier time of it.

Thanks, I'm really excited/anxious about the wedding. It's only 2 weeks away! Eek!

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Both hips replaced in three months? You're a ROCK STAR for taking on this challenge! 

Thanks Araene! I don't feel like much of a rock star right now, lol, but hopefully I will after this challenge is over. Super excited to see the changes that occur throughout this challenge!

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

I'm really inspired by your dedication to your health and healing process--I think your decision to hold off on other "quests" until your health is regained is smart. Focus is something I constantly struggle with, along with frustration. I'll be cliche and echo the "stay positive" sentiment, because framing really can help sometimes. I also highly recommended breathing (deeeeeeep breaths) and celebrating even the least significant seeming bit of progress. 

Glad things are going well! Can't wait to hear more!

Thanks SunLynx! I too have a problem focusing on one thing. I'm the queen of signing up for every little thing that excites me, then dropping them when I felt overwhelmed. I figured it was time for something new. LOL. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to stay calm and keep you guys informed.

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Thanks city-kitten and Nol! 

Only a few more hours until I hear the results! :) Can't wait to be precaution free. Then I'll probably go on a cleaning frenzy and get rid of all the recovery tools littering my apartment.

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

ok so you're taking on a challenge after 2 hip replacements AND you're getting married in two weeks.  Is there anything you can't do?

You might notice that someone has added a Druids' tag to your thread.  This isn't to pigeonhole you into particular guild, but rather to bring one of their ambassadors here to offer you encouragement, support or advice.  Your goals this challenge fit well with the overall spirit of their guild and you are more than welcome to pop into their Cabin and introduce yourself to them.  You are also more than welcome to pop me a message anytime. 

Good Luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Hey, how are you doing today?

I hope the results were encouraging! otherwise, if you need to talk, I'm here :)

Stay strong, you can achieve anything with time !

giphy.gif

Current Challenge

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" - We came forth, and once more saw the stars, Dante

ok so you're taking on a challenge after 2 hip replacements AND you're getting married in two weeks.  Is there anything you can't do?

You might notice that someone has added a Druids' tag to your thread.  This isn't to pigeonhole you into particular guild, but rather to bring one of their ambassadors here to offer you encouragement, support or advice.  Your goals this challenge fit well with the overall spirit of their guild and you are more than welcome to pop into their Cabin and introduce yourself to them.  You are also more than welcome to pop me a message anytime. 

Good Luck

AB xx

What can I say? I'm Wonder Woman. LOL (Or at least I wish I was.)

Thanks for adding the Druids' tag. I think that would be a good fit for me during this quest.

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Wow...you are such an inspiration.  My biggest issue has been a sever case of lazy.  Subbing to follow your progress!!  Keep up the great work!!

Thanks PachaTisai! I just checked out your thread and you are soooo not lazy. You are doing an awesome job and I can't wait to see the progress you make!

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Hey, how are you doing today?

I hope the results were encouraging! otherwise, if you need to talk, I'm here :)

Stay strong, you can achieve anything with time !

giphy.gif

OMG I love this GIF! Did you make this?!?  It makes me want to binge watch the old seasons. Have you seen the new ones yet?

Thank you again for your encouraging words. You totally made my day.

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Quick status update:

Yesterday I got an all clear from my doctor. Yay! Also found out that I have withdrawals from all the pain meds they put me on for months. Boo! They figured out a plan to step me down gradually, but I'll have to deal with the effects until my body has gotten them out of its system. 

Today I'm still sleep deprived, among other things, but managed to drag myself to work. To stay awake I guzzled two energy drinks back to back and instantly regretted. Sooooo looking forward to overcoming these nasty side effects. On the bright side, I still managed to drink my water and am planning on doing my exercises in the next few minutes.

Tomorrow I'll be attending my first yoga class in months! After that I'm meeting a group of friends for pre-wedding gardening. One of my friends was kind enough to host the wedding at her place so we are all pitching in to make her yard as gorgeous as possible. I'm so blessed to have such wonderful people in my life. :)

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Yesss! Awesome news for the x-rays :D

I'm sure they have prepared a great plan to make it as manageable as possible for you.

You must be so excited, your wedding is so close! I'd love to have a wedding outside in a cosy garden like that!

Happy you like the gif, i am but a lazy bum and just snapped it from google search... >.<

Current Challenge

Daily dose of Usagi ;)

Eeee! So cute! Thanks for the pick me up.

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

So I may have overdone it yesterday with gardening. I was so stiff afterwards that I was unable to do my mobility exercises. I did get my water intake goal in though :). Small wins!

Yoga was cancelled yesterday, so I'm going to have to wait until Wednesday evening to try again. Here's hoping that the instructor is feeling better.

I was able to get my mobility exercises in today, but I'm still working on the water. So far I've only had about 30 or so oz of water. I can totally feel it.

On a side note, I've committed to eating healthier this week. My fiance and I have decided to stop buying processed snacks. We've agreed to pop our own popcorn from scratch and eat grapes if we are hungry in between meals. Additionally I planned out all of my meals this week. Back to paleo! I was on paleo before my surgeries and I could really tell a difference once I returned to processed foods. This week I'm going to try out some easy recipes to slowly ramp up.

Any suggestions for paleo recipes?

• Like 1

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

Current Challenge

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines