[Keannis]'s apprenticeship begins!

keannis

Introduction: I’m Kris and this is (obviously) my first go-round. J I just joined the forums today after lurking for ages, actually. I’m 31 and just started a ridiculously intense grad program in nurse anesthesia; I wasn’t fit to begin with and I’m watching my body rapidly disintegrate further with the 12 hour days of sitting and studying and not eating well as a result. Anesthesia students tend to be neurotic type A’s so my class is filled with Crossfitters, marathon runners, weight lifters… I stick out like a sore thumb physically, and it’s rather motivating.

So in other (nerd) words… ;)I’m just starting a 27 month apprenticeship at the Big Fantasy University as a healer, specializing in the magic arts of inducing sleep and removing pain, and I want to come out on the other end stronger AND wiser!

In good news, the gym is just a few buildings away from the library where I practically live now and our university charges mandatory gym fees, so I may as well use it! A couple classmates and I split the cost of a permanent locker so everything I need is right there and I have no excuses except my overwhelming fear of looking fat and stupid in public. The only complication: I have a battle wound that’s still giving me trouble… I had hip surgery in May and am still in physical therapy, trying to get my mobility back.

Main quest: Get my BMI back into “healthy†range (so for me, get back down to 160lb) and get my hip/back pain under control. 

Quest 1: Strength and Mobility

Goal: Increase mobility in my bad hip through physical therapy-specific exercises. Increase overall body strength by rounding out my workout. Work towards beginning weightlifting. I will post my current workout at the beginning of each week, since it will change from time to time as I progress with PT. I will score out of 10 because there will be a daily component (7 pts) and a 3x/wk component (3 pts)

Scoring: A - 9-10pts. B - 7-8pts. C - 5-6pts. F - less than 6 pts. 

Quest 2: Endurance

Goal: Increase my endurance. Plain 'n' simple. Hit the gym all 5 weekdays (the days I have class) and get on the bike, since I'm not allowed to walk/run for exercise yet. Not grading on performance (that's not fair to myself, as I'm trying to rehab from a long-term injury), but effort. 

Scoring: A - 5 days, B - 4 days, C - 3 days, F - less than 3 days. 

Quest 3: Nutrition

Goal: Eat at least one serving each of fruits and vegetables per day to encourage building the habit of including them in my meal choices. (2 pts/day, one for each). 

Scoring: A - 13-14pts. B - 11-12pts. C - 9-10pts. F - 8 or less pts.

Life quest: Get an A on at least one of the three exams I have coming up during this six weeks (two in advanced human physiology, aka The Mysterious Inner Workings of Humans, and one in gross anatomy, aka Muscles, Bones and Guts, Oh My)! ACCOMPLISHED, WEEK 1! 

Motivation: My career is an active one; I was an ICU nurse until I left to go back to school, and CRNAs are on their feet and moving all day too. I need to be strong and healthy! My hip will only get better if I put the PT work into it, and if my hip gets stronger and more flexible, I’ll be able to walk without pain again – which would be amazing. And maybe I can even stave off the pre-diabetes I recently discovered I had. Wouldn’t that be cool?

One last note: I really, really, really do better with some accountability. So if anyone is looking for someone with whom to look out for each other (is that even proper English? doubtful), let me know. I'm very concerned that my stress over school will take over and my health will take a backseat! 

post-32426-0-17076200-1410980550_thumb.j

• Like 4

Keannis :: Level 1 Human Adventurer

[ STR 1.5 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 3 | CHA 0 ] 

Keannis's Apprenticeship Begins! (6 Week Challenge)

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." - George Bernard Shaw

Dum spiro spero. 

So in other (nerd) words… ;)I’m just starting a 27 month apprenticeship at the Big Fantasy University as a healer, specializing in the magic arts of inducing sleep and removing pain, and I want to come out on the other end stronger AND wiser!

I love this! Your quests sound great and totally doable. I also do better with some accountability so if you want to buddy up, I'm totally game. :)

• Like 1

Good stuff! It sounds like you've got a plan!

I do better with motivation, too, so if you want someone to harass and/or be harassed by, feel free! ;)

Also, yes, grad school eats the brains and the physical activity. Mine was a program in Rhetoric & Composition (a subset of English), so we've got different experiences there, but the stress really is intense and, from what I've seen and heard, universal.

Hang in there and stay on target! You can do it!

• Like 1

The Unchosen Hero

Level 0 Newbie | Aspiring Warrior

Introductory Post

Tackling my first challenge as we speak!

Keannis lay on the floor of her small apartment, her chest heaving. For once, she’d had a day mostly at home; the professor for her Mysterious Inner Workings of Humans class had given them the day off to review for their first big exam this Friday, and she’d only had to travel across the city to Big Fantasy University’s campus for a brief seminar in Research in The Healing Arts. Still, she spent most of the day at home studying.

Once her brain had reached critical saturation in the mid-afternoon, she took a break to try those physical exercises that the handsome warrior in the sparring yard had shown her the other morning. It had looked so easy when he'd done them! Three rounds, he’d said, bouncing from one exercise to the next with grace and ease. One round later, on her living room floor, she couldn’t believe how difficult the exertion had been. “Oh, this routine, this perfect for the healer-lady,†the young lad had said in that irresistible far-off-lands accent. “And then,†he’d said with a wink, “maybe, the healer-lady come fix the bones, yes?†Curse him and his gorgeous blue eyes and his ‘easy’ exercises!

The apprentice shoved herself off her floor, nearly tripping on the stray brown mutt that she'd begun feeding and which had thereafter made her rooms its home. Now, where is that apple I snuck out of BFU’s dining hall this morning….? 

----------

Bodyweight workouts: 2/3 for the week now. Still can only do one circuit, though. :( 

PT: done for the day. So tired of doing PT. So wish my hip would get better. 

Fruit: was hungry, ate an apple; full now, yay!

Veg: planning on salad for dinner.

Overall assessment of the day: pretty darn lovely. Sat on the patio and studied most of the afternoon, taking a quick break now before going back to it for the rest of the evening. Trying not to lose steam on studying, as our first big exam is the day after tomorrow, but I am just so mentally drained and tired of thinking about physiology! 

I would love any and all ideas for quick snacks or small meals - minimal preparation preferred, commute-friendly even better - especially ones that don't rely heavily on simple carbs, which is my weakness and my fall-back and I'm trying so hard to get away from it. My worst dietary habit is the "carbs and cheese" dinner - crackers and cheese, mac 'n' cheese, quesadillas, etc. I gotta stop that! 

• Like 3

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." - George Bernard Shaw

Dum spiro spero. 

LOVE the RP! So fun to read! Great job today! 

I spend about 30-45 minutes on Sundays preparing snacks for the week... hard boiled eggs, ziplock bags full of fruits and/or veggies, mixed nuts, individual portions of yogurt and granola. It takes a little bit of prep work up front but then I have quick access to healthy snacks for the rest of the week. :)

• Like 2

Bwahahaha. Indeed, the magic of passing gas! Who doesn't love a good fart pun? 

I just got some unintentional cardio chasing the dogs (one of whom has apparently learned to nudge open the sliding screen door) into the neighbor's yard where they were keen on playing with another dog. Yeesh. I'm not supposed to be running at all, let alone sprinting barefoot after two mischievous pitbulls.. 

Dum spiro spero. 

I looked, but the fun active ones that looked like I'd fit in and get some good follow-up from are all closed already. :-/

Dum spiro spero. 

Keannis glared balefully at the books arrayed in front of her. The half-eaten apple in her hand was taking the brunt of her annoyance at the moment; she tore big pieces off with her teeth and chomped on them far harder and longer than was necessary. She had been holed up in Big Fantasy University’s library for hours, studying in one of the many small private rooms the library mages helpfully enchanted to be soundproof. It had only been a few weeks since the term started, and she had barely adjusted to leaving her small country city for the sprawling capitol city where BFU was located; how was it possible that one of the rigorous exams that the upperclassman talked about in low, serious voices was already upon her?

She was still surprised that she wasn’t sore from those funny exercises she’d done yesterday. Maybe she could try to do one and a half sets tomorrow? Self-consciously, she rubbed the tops of her thighs; she wasn’t sure when her youthful figure had changed this much, but now was as good a time as any to make some changes, she supposed. It would do her some good later to take a break to stretch; her right hip still pained her from her ill-advised involvement in a skirmish at the city walls earlier in the year, before moving to the Capitol. Damned orcs, she thought, remembering, which didn’t help her mood. And speaking of orcs… just because I have to spend such a beautiful day holed up in here doesn’t mean I can eat like one when I’m hungry later… I’ll still have to figure out a nutritious supper when I get home…

With a heavy sigh, she cleared her mind of its usual horde of distracting thoughts, and flipped the pages in the nearest book to the next chapter. 

---

My update for the day is going to be an early one because I really do have too much to do today, but I wanted to take a break from studying to write a bit and check in. 

Quest 1: (Strength: Workout 3x/week) Rest day, but seriously considering upping to 1.5 (or 2, if I can, I suppose) circuits tomorrow. I need to hold off on the walking lunges until I talk to my PT - I was getting some twingey pains with those and my hip is pretty tight and sore today, more than usual, so we may need to modify my workout to suit my current situation. Still, I will do everything else.

Quest 2: (Mobility: PT every day) Will be done later... but will be done. 

Quest 3: (Nutrition: Fruit+Veg) Ate breakfast on campus and got lots of fruit from the buffet, plus having an apple for a snack now. Dinner when I get home late will be another salad (already prepped and ready to go into the bowl), so that'll take care of the veggie component. Lunch is just a Lean Cuisine frozen thing... I just didn't have the time or energy this morning to make anything to bring with me. 

Wish me luck tomorrow! First opportunity to complete my Life Quest of getting an A on one of these awful exams. Tomorrow's is on Cell Physiology. I've been busting my ass hard to master this stuff, so let's hope I succeeded - we have to keep an 80% average to stay in the program, so there's not a whole lot of room for error!

• Like 1

Dum spiro spero. 

Take it easy and don't burn yourself out.  See how you feel after the first circuit and if your hip and your energy allow for another half or full circuit, go for it.  remember you're still nursing an injury and don't want to aggravate it.

You might notice that someone has added an Assassins' tag to your thread.  This isn't to pigeonhole you into particular guild, but rather to bring one of their ambassadors here to offer you encouragement, support or advice.  Your goals this challenge fit well with the overall spirit of their guild and you are more than welcome to pop into their Den and introduce yourself to them.  You are also more than welcome to pop me a message anytime. 

Good Luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks! I'm definitely stopping the walking lunges for now until I chat with my PT about it on Monday. Squats and planks are already in my PT regimen (as "work up to 3-set tolerance" except I never really did, I'd mostly just do an easy set or two and call it a day), so all I'm actually adding is pushups and dumbbell rows. Which sounds really lame now that I think about it, but I was so bad about doing the strength part of my PT that I feel like I'm challenging myself by making it a priority. It's frustrating because I've been nursing this hip in one way or another for ten years now; I finally have some hope that I'll be pain-free eventually, but it's taking for.ev.er. 

I'm mostly surprised my chest/arms don't hurt. That's my notorious motivation-killer; I overdo the upper body stuff and can barely move my arms the next day, usually. That's the part I'm taking the slowest. 

Dum spiro spero. 

Heya! I'm in your Firefly group. :)

Do you own a slow cooker? And if not, would you think about getting one? I can point you to some recipes that you can box up and freeze for when you need them. Do you have any specific food goals? Like low carb or low calorie or anything like that?

• Like 1

I'm not supposed to be running at all, let alone sprinting barefoot after two mischievous pitbulls..

You have two pitbulls? I have 1 and my roommate has a boston terrier/pitbull mix. Both females that like to run under the house. ^_^

I also see you're doing body weight exercises for your challenge. There's quite a few Assassins that do body weight workouts so if you have any questions, you can find them by using our Assassin Phonebook. It lists the skills of us Assassins.

We also have a Q&A chat thread for Level 1's where you can stop by and ask any questions you might have. As well as a chat thread called the Assassins' Den where we hang out and chat. If you have any questions, I as well as the other Assassins are happy to help you out. You can reach me by using the private messenger system (click the envelope at the top right of the screen) or you can post on my thread.

Can't wait to see how your first challenge goes. I'll be checking with you regularly to make sure you stick with us. :)

-Lullaby

tumblr_mhnp7nyTD81rkp3avo2_250.gif

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

My eyes are burning, Keannis thought. I’m so tired my eyes hurt. I didn’t know that was possible. She’d put in a much-later-than-expected evening of studying the night prior, which included a complete abandonment of the idea of eating even a single vegetable that day (unless you count the iceburg lettuce on the salad she’d had one of the gnomes deliver from their shop just outside BFU’s campus). After eight solid hours in the library on Thursday, she had gone home, done her hip exercises, taken Mutt out for a quick walk, and passed out. The exam that morning had been brutal, as expected, and she really wasn’t sure how she’d done. The standards at BFU were high, and those who didn’t meet them didn’t continue on. Everyone in her class was on edge, and she was ready to go home.

But that would have to wait. They didn’t get to take a break that day, despite it being Friday and exam day. No, she still had Muscles, Bones, and Guts lab, an eerie affair held deep in the dungeons where the bodies of creatures from various races were laid out in the chill and opened for the students to explore. She didn’t know where the bodies came from and she wasn’t sure she wanted to know. Her morbid curiosity meant the exercise was typically rather interesting, to be honest, but this day… this day she just wanted to go, already. She had to take some time for herself today – to exercise, to eat well, and to recover.

---

Fairly self-explanatory, I hope. I'm trying not to beat myself up over the sandwich last night - we ended up at the library until almost 9pm and I was just starving. I could have picked something healthier, but I went with the Italian sub, full of cheese, oil, mayo, and delicious, delicious cured meats. All I'd eaten prior to that was some fruit and french toast for breakfast and a Lean Cuisine thing for lunch, so I'm still under goal for calories, but it wasn't the right way to do it. C'est la vie.

In good news, even though I have to stick around for cadaver lab, I get to go home by 4 at the latest which means sunshine time with my puppies and time to work out and do PT and find a healthy dinner option! Yay!

I'll check in again tonight to catch up with everyone and make a final assessment of my day. :)

Dum spiro spero. 

I had a sandwich last night, too. I realized I hadn't eaten all day (which is very strange for me; normally I stuff my face), and after my workout I was feeling pretty hungry. We rather desperately need to hit the grocery store, and there wasn't a whole lot healthy in the fridge, so I improvised based on what I had at my disposal.

Sometimes you have to do that, or to pick the lesser of two evils. And you can also build on that experience: OK, so I found myself without a dinner option that suited me under these circumstances. How can I defend against that next time?

I used to run into the "nothin' or junk food" quandary during grad school a lot. Eventually it got both so expensive and so unhealthy that I started packing two lunches every morning--one for lunch proper, and one for dinner on days when I suspected my office/research/job time would run long. It helped a lot, and I didn't find myself making a "meal" of Skittles and Pop Tarts or running over to the burger place any more.

So I guess that's to say...I feel you, I don't think one error is the end of the world, and it's definitely something to learn from.

Also, huzzah for daylight time with your puppies!

(And...cadaver lab? That is too cool!)

The Unchosen Hero

Level 0 Newbie | Aspiring Warrior

Introductory Post

Tackling my first challenge as we speak!

It is cool. It's a very special gift these folks have given us, to allow us to take them apart and peer inside after they've departed. We have 6 hours of formal lab time a week, though, on top of 6 hours of anatomy lecture, which gets to be a lot when we've got a bunch of other stuff vying for our time. But it's definitely something that not everyone gets to do and I try to remember what a unique opportunity it is even when I'm exhausted, cranky, and tired of smelling like formalin. :) 

Dum spiro spero. 

You have two pitbulls? I have 1 and my roommate has a boston terrier/pitbull mix. Both females that like to run under the house. ^_^

Yup! Two happier, lazier, more snuggly dogs the world has never seen. But I love them to death anyways. :)

qPyYxAvl.jpg

• Like 2

Dum spiro spero. 

I used to run into the "nothin' or junk food" quandary during grad school a lot. Eventually it got both so expensive and so unhealthy that I started packing two lunches every morning--one for lunch proper, and one for dinner on days when I suspected my office/research/job time would run long. It helped a lot, and I didn't find myself making a "meal" of Skittles and Pop Tarts or running over to the burger place any more.

I need to be better about doing this. It's hard because I have no access to a fridge (though I do have access to a microwave) so anything I bring I have to carry with me all day and can't be completely dependent on staying super cold. I pack ice packs in my lunchbox, but once you start talking about two meals plus ice packs it starts to look like a small cooler more than a lunch pack. Some brain storming this weekend will be required, as well as some hardcore googling for slow cooker veggie-and-protein heavy meals or things I can cook a huge batch of and eat for days afterwards. I think Sunday night I'm going to make a big pan of veggie curry and a pot of rice to eat for lunches for the first half of the week. Maybe I'll make some white chicken chili in the slow cooker on Tuesday and eat that for dinner for a few nights. Thankfully I don't get too bored of a food I like and can happily repeat a menu for a few days if it means no cooking effort is required. :)

(If it makes any of this make more sense, we moved to DC not that long ago, and my husband still works Tues/Wed/Thurs nights in NC until he finds a gig up here. So he leaves Tuesday afternoon and comes home Friday afternoon every week, so I'm a bachelorette for three nights mid-week and have to fend for myself, which is why I'm often like "meh... quesadilla for one, coming up!") 

Dum spiro spero. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines