jstanlick: In Recovery

jstanlick

I almost didn't post a challenge thread this go 'round. Some other folks have created battle logs instead of the challenges while others have gone to lurking as that's what they have time for. Honestly the battle log probably makes the most sense for me. But, I opted for a challenge thread simply because it has a definite end point to use as a convenient comparison/evaluation marker.

See, last challenge went well but I ran into a few overuse injuries (forearm, knee, ankle) and the week between has been a good healing time. I used that time to come up with a plan and move forward. I've tried to turn the plan into quests for the challenge, but the ultimate goal is to finish this 6 weeks stronger and pain free.

Quest #1: Get things moving again

Then plan here is 3 training sessions a week for the first 2 weeks. Those training sessions are 3 circuits and or supersets (depending on the day) of either BW or DB exercises followed by a finisher circuit. The goal is to get stuff moving again and used to moving weight while shortening the rest interval and becoming metabolic conditioning on top of resistance training. Meanwhile, running will drop to one session per week. It will either be sprints or a slow 5k. The sprints will be better for fat loss, the 5k will be better to measure where my knee and ankle are at.

Quest #2: Torch some fat...pain free

The last 4 weeks will be MRT circuits 3x/week. Should give me plenty of cardio and some strength building as well. This won't happen unless those first two weeks finish up pain free. If they do, then I'm going to open things up to include barbell and kettlebell exercises. The plan for the running will remain the same.

Quest #3: The continuing story of me vs. carbs

I made good progress during the last challenge in reducing my carb intake slowly. So, this one is to simply continue that progress. Simple, no?

That's it. Like I said, a battle log probably makes the most sense except that I want to re-evaluate where I'm at in 6 weeks, so the challenge forces that discussion.

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

You folks are just are hard to stay away from :D

There would've been at least a battle log, but I think this will work from a timing perspective. I'm not sure how to grade things yet, but I'll figure that out.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

So, here's the training plan for the first two weeks:

Warm-up - All days, perform the circuit twice resting 30 secs in between circuits
1) Jumping Jacks (20)
2) Arm Crosses (15)
3) Prisoner Squats (12)
4) Push-ups (10)
5) Mountain Climbers (10 ea)
6) Waiters Bow (12)
7) Plank (20 secs)

Training Day 1

1A) DB Romanian Deadlift (6)
1B) *DB Triple Press (6)
* Steep incline press (6 reps), then immediately to an incline db chest press (6), and finally a flat bench db chest press (6) – so it is 6 reps per exercise, and that counts as 1 set.

Rest 1 minute and repeat two more times

2A) *DB Reverse Lunge from a Deficit (8e)
2B) DB Lateral Raise (10)
* Start with both feet on a small step or platform (6-8†off the ground)

3A) DB Row (10e)
3B) Decline Push-ups (12)

Finisher
Do the following ridiculous circuit 3 times, resting for 1 minute between circuits
1A) Stability Ball Jackknife/Push-up Combo (10)
1B) Stability Ball Plank (30 secs)
1C) Stability Ball Rollout (8)
1D) Stability Ball Jackknife (12)
1E) Stability Ball (X-treme) Cross-Body Mountain Climbers (8 ea)

Training Day 2

1) DB Jump Squats (5)
Rest 1 minute and repeat four more times for a total of 5 sets

2A) DB Pullover (8)
2B) Decline Push-ups (15)

3A) Stability Ball Leg Curl (12)
3B) DB Row (12e)
Rest 1 minute and repeat 2 more times

Finisher
Do the following circuit 3 times, resting for 1 minute between circuits.
1A) Spiderman Climb (12 ea)
1B) Cross-Body Mountain Climbers (10 ea)
1C) Mountain Climbers (15 ea)
1D) Climbing Burpees (after kicking your feet out, perform 2 total (1 ea) Cross Body Mountain Climbers) – Do this 6 times

Training Day 3

1A) DB Negative Chest Press (8) – Take 5 seconds to lower the weights and then about a second to push them up
1B) Goblet Squat (10)

2A) Wide Grip Lat Pulldown (6) <---These will be with light weights
2B) Walking Lunges (12e)

3A) DB Rear Lateral Raise (15)
3B) DB Curl (8) <---- These will also be light
3C) Lying DB Tricep Extensions (10)

Finisher
Do the following circuit twice, resting for 45 secs between circuits
1A) Push-up Plank (45 secs)
1B) Spiderman Push-ups (12 ea)
1C) Side Plank (ALAP up to 45 secs ea side)
1D) Spiderman Push-up Plank (5 secs ea side – 3 times)
1E) One Legged Stability Ball Plank (45 secs) (Remember to switch legs on the next circuit)

damn.  why you people make me sign in when I'm trying to become more myth, less reality?

I'm glad you are still around (although I think you should join us in battle logs).

BUT I'm mostest gladest that you are back to your circuits!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

why?  because you really like those and do well with them!  Still running at all?

Remember what Mark says about the social aspect to eating... *sigh*  Tis a battle for all. 

Got your back!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Those look like some fun circuits!

Heal up, bud!

They're mostly fun. I want to go heavier with the weights and some of the exercises are substitutions for ones I thought would be too much on the elbow tendon. But, I'm resisting the urge to do more so I don't make things worse. That comes in Week 3 when I crank the circuits up a notch :D

Although, the Finisher circuits don't bother my arms at all and my core hates me already. Those are a ton of fun!

damn.  why you people make me sign in when I'm trying to become more myth, less reality?

I'm glad you are still around (although I think you should join us in battle logs).

BUT I'm mostest gladest that you are back to your circuits!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

why?  because you really like those and do well with them!  Still running at all?

Remember what Mark says about the social aspect to eating... *sigh*  Tis a battle for all. 

Got your back!

Why? Because we like the real you more than the mythical you ;)

Still running once a week. But, with no timer or GPS. I know, shocking right? The runs are truly going to be for fun and stress relief. If I feel like running longer, I will. If I want to run shorter, I will. Faster? Okay. Barely faster than a walk? That's okay too. And sometimes it will just be some sprints rather than miles upon miles. But, once a week, there will be some kind of running.

You know me, I love circuits! And, if they're done with minimal rest between sets can be excellent metabolic conditioning as well as adding strength. Not as much strength as going heavy (cuz repeatedly going heavy with no rest is a recipe for injury), but more strength than I have right now. And, so far the arm, knee and ankle are all doing fine without complaint.

Social eating, yeah that's tough. We had a system upgrade deployment that was 11 months in the works last Saturday. 10 hours in the office on a Saturday is not fun. What did the company provide? Bagels for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and two cakes (chocolate and vanilla) to celebrate the major software release. I think I became diabetic looking at it. Monday was another one of my development team's release - lasagna, garlic bread (best garlic bread ever just dripping in butter) and cookies. And people look at me like I'm anti-social when I don't grab any and sit in my office. Normally being the weird outcast doesn't bother me, but I'm not sure what it does for my career. But, today, no celebrations. Just me and my buffalo chili. Whew.

Glad to see your back in the fray with us again.  Great plan too, looks like you thought of everything.  Good luck.

I don't know about everything, but I'm trying to stick to a plan with this recovery rather than getting back into habits of overdoing it and dealing with aches and pains or making things worse. So, I tried to think this one through. We'll see how well my crystal ball worked 6 weeks from now.

• Like 1

And sometimes it will just be

I believe this is what you meant....

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Come to think of it, yeah, I like that better.

Social eating, yeah that's tough. We had a system upgrade deployment that was 11 months in the works last Saturday. 10 hours in the office on a Saturday is not fun. What did the company provide? Bagels for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and two cakes (chocolate and vanilla) to celebrate the major software release. I think I became diabetic looking at it. Monday was another one of my development team's release - lasagna, garlic bread (best garlic bread ever just dripping in butter) and cookies. And people look at me like I'm anti-social when I don't grab any and sit in my office. Normally being the weird outcast doesn't bother me, but I'm not sure what it does for my career. But, today, no celebrations. Just me and my buffalo chili. Whew.

Dude, my office is the same way. Donuts and bagels EVERY FRIDAY. Sheesh.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

To be honest...just hear me out...your offices are much better places to be. I love that they want to share, that food is fun, and there is a spirit of togetherness. And that is a much healthier perspective on food (to break bread together) then my office.

People in my office "don't eat lunch", go on juicing fasts, or fast for 48 hours (which I still don't believe) but then I see them hoarding food from lunch meetings (actually putting food in her purse) and another one secretly eats candy for lunch (giant bags of skittles) but relishes the "legend" she's become bc nobody sees her eat. Meanwhile, I'll bring my own lunch to meetings and people think I'm weird but don't really care.

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

Glad you're doing a challenge.

You mention MRT - what is that? R= rounds? T = time?

Still running once a week. But, with no timer or GPS. I know, shocking right? The runs are truly going to be for fun and stress relief. If I feel like running longer, I will. If I want to run shorter, I will. Faster? Okay. Barely faster than a walk? That's okay too. And sometimes it will just be some sprints rather than miles upon miles. But, once a week, there will be some kind of running...

I'm so with you on this - running to run - not under the tyranny of tech and guilt of whatever - it's about recovery and progress.

So - I see a progress bar in your signature - "A Year Towards Happiness" - do you write about that somewhere?

Rebel - Hunter - Trader - Renewing the body and mind to be as capable as possible - lean & strength

Dude, my office is the same way. Donuts and bagels EVERY FRIDAY. Sheesh.

A couple of years ago I would've thought that was the coolest thing ever and it would've been a retention tool.

To be honest...just hear me out...your offices are much better places to be. I love that they want to share, that food is fun, and there is a spirit of togetherness. And that is a much healthier perspective on food (to break bread together) then my office.

People in my office "don't eat lunch", go on juicing fasts, or fast for 48 hours (which I still don't believe) but then I see them hoarding food from lunch meetings (actually putting food in her purse) and another one secretly eats candy for lunch (giant bags of skittles) but relishes the "legend" she's become bc nobody sees her eat. Meanwhile, I'll bring my own lunch to meetings and people think I'm weird but don't really care.

Starving yourself and then bingeing in secret is definitely no way to go. And I totally get what you're saying. I'm just trying to cut back on carbs and my personal goals are having issues with the particular food choices.

I love where I work and the fact that everyone wants to have fun and enjoy time together. We spend a big chunk of our lives together, it might as well be fun. For example, when our CEO decided we needed to be a better corporate citizen and teamed up with the Red Cross, this was how they decided to announce it to the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzEZAvCmK-g

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view), most of it was filmed while I was on vacation. The only shot I'm in is the one of the entire company at the sand volleyball courts and I'm in the back. If I were there with my teams, I'd be in the group throwing paper airplanes at the camera.

Plus, we don't spend forever trying to analyze everything 8 ways to Sunday. We come up with an idea and move forward. Some work, some don't. As long as you learned something from it to improve, it's not a failure. Very different culture from where I used to be.

Glad you're doing a challenge.

You mention MRT - what is that? R= rounds? T = time?

I'm so with you on this - running to run - not under the tyranny of tech and guilt of whatever - it's about recovery and progress.

So - I see a progress bar in your signature - "A Year Towards Happiness" - do you write about that somewhere?

MRT = Metabolic Resistance Training. I started doing them 2-3 years ago (as it was becoming all the rage -- yeah, I jumped on that bandwagon). Did them exclusively for a while before I started more running. Now it seems that everywhere I go someone is advertising their version of MRT. Basically, you're doing resistance training circuits or supersets with weights that you can handle for 8-12 reps (usually) with no rest between exercises and a minute or less between sets. It increases your cardio ability without as much pounding on your body as running. It increases your strength but not as much as lifting heavy and resting longer between sets.

The Year Towards Happiness was something I put in a challenge thread around the start of the year. Let's see....here it is....it's the first 4 bullet points in this post. The third one is the hardest to attain. It involves coordinating schedules of people that don't always stick with a plan.

For example, yesterday was our 18 year wedding anniversary. I had arranged with the in-laws that they would watch the kids so my wife and I could spend the afternoon and a nice dinner by ourselves. They called Saturday to say they needed to work with their volunteer organization on Sunday and couldn't watch the kids. This is about the 1 bazillionth time they've done something like that. I don't know why I even ask them anymore. Well, actually, I do. The last couple of times I asked someone else, they've complained they didn't get asked for months on end and wouldn't drop it. I even told them I asked someone else because they over-commit and bail on us and I'm tired being left holding the bag. They didn't hear any of it. Instead, they heard we don't want them to see their grandchildren. So, very tiring.

But, anyhoo, that's the Year Towards Happiness goal. 4 simple things that if after working on them for a year, my life should be far more enjoyable -- and, despite my previous rant to the contrary, it is more enjoyable.

• Like 1

1.  Happy Anniversary!!!  That's awesome!

2.  Ah, In-Laws....

1. Thanks, man!
  2. Sigh. I shouldn't just pick on them. My parents weren't much better before the cancer. Now, they're just honest and don't have the energy, so there aren't any of the guilt trips or whining. What I really need to do is simply call the other babysitter first and not care what the in-laws think. Except that makes life harder for my wife and the kids get bummed. So, I guess I'll just lower my expectations and start making a plan B for these occasions.

yea!  Anniversary!!!  Whoo hoo!!!! special dinner... mmmmm nom nom

As for the in-laws... ahhhhh.... I gave up that guilt battle a while ago re: doing things, etc. 

Explain you want them to choose their time to spend with you and/or the kids around their schedule.  If you have something that cannot be changed, you'll call a sitter.  End of story.  Whatever.  Guilt away in law peoples.... choose to ignore the guilt.  They still get to see the kids plenty. 

I AM going the distance

Challenge update stuff:

1. Finished the 3 MRT sessions this week, but I don't think the intensity was there. I deliberately used light weights and my forearm is not mad at me, but I feel like I didn't do much. Only my core got some serious work. So, I'm fighting my usually poor instincts to do more -- and get hurt more. This was not unforeseen. Just harder to hold back and be smart than I thought it would be.

2. Fun run in the books. Saturday morning was a cool, sunny morning around here. I have now idea what my time was or the exact miles. I've run the area enough to know it was around 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 ish miles. I even stopped at a school playground to have some fun. 2 pullups on the monkey bars and the forearm was starting to complain. So, box jumps instead. I know, they're perfectly interchangeable exercises, right?

3. Nutrition...that's a fail. I was eating all kinds of things trying to make run for the 1/4 side of beef we picked up on Friday. And, I went to the store to buy much more healthy things to eat after the Saturday run (and a shower of course). And then there were pizzas and beers. But, it was pizza from the kids, so those carbs don't count, right? Today is going much better. other than a handful of almonds and a fresh from the garden tomato (we're still getting tomatoes in the garden) I have consumed nary a carb and all of it natural stuff. So we've started week 2 off on the right foot at least.

yea!  Anniversary!!!  Whoo hoo!!!! special dinner... mmmmm nom nom

As for the in-laws... ahhhhh.... I gave up that guilt battle a while ago re: doing things, etc. 

Explain you want them to choose their time to spend with you and/or the kids around their schedule.  If you have something that cannot be changed, you'll call a sitter.  End of story.  Whatever.  Guilt away in law peoples.... choose to ignore the guilt.  They still get to see the kids plenty. 

The funny thing is, it's not so much the guilt trip as it is the whining. I'm much better at ignoring guilt than I am whining. Whining gets under my skin. I realize everyone needs to vent now and again. I'm okay with that. But, you vent and then move on. Don't keep bringing it up again and again. You made a choice. Choices have consequences. Deal with it and move on.

Hmm, time to take my own advice. :P

Irony, you taunt me so.

To be fair, we keep bringing up the in-law thing, so don't blame yourself entirely...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

wow, you have some very dance-y co-workers! Looks like a fun place.

Love your year of happiness goals. I've seen lots of people on the boards talking about having a hard time maintaining habits beyond the challenge period. It's nice to see something simple and longer term.

And congrats on the 18 years!

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Wow still getting tomatoes from the garden!? Lucky.  It's been cold enough here that most things are dying but the leaves are changing and it's APPLE SEASON!!!  Love me some fresh apples.  Ok enough of that back to challenge stuff...I hear you on having a hard time 'holding back' to protect an injury.  It's hard but necessary and it looks like you're striking a good balance.

Half/Ogre, Ranger Level 0

STR: 0, Dex: 0, STA: 0, Con: 0, WIS: 0, CHA: 0

To be fair, we keep bringing up the in-law thing, so don't blame yourself entirely...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, not entirely :D

wow, you have some very dance-y co-workers! Looks like a fun place.

Love your year of happiness goals. I've seen lots of people on the boards talking about having a hard time maintaining habits beyond the challenge period. It's nice to see something simple and longer term.

And congrats on the 18 years!

It is a fun place. It's interesting going from the finance industry where for 17 years I was still a young person, to a software company where the only people older than me seem to be the C-Suite folks. Lots of recent college grads who bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the workplace. I kinda forgot how much fun work could be.

The year long goals came at a time in my life when I felt something just needed to change. I wasn't happy and all I was doing was whining about not being happy and I didn't like myself for it. So, I came up with those 4 simple things as a year long goal. I figured if I could manage to stick to just those things, my life would be better a year later. I haven't been able to perfectly keep up with everything -- missed a couple of weeks running with an injury, the aforementioned scheduling issues, etc. But, since writing those, I've got a different job, I remodeled our master bath, my wife and I have actually gotten some time together (still not enough, but more than before), I feel more in balance and am genuinely more happy with my life. So, I guess their working.

Wow still getting tomatoes from the garden!? Lucky.  It's been cold enough here that most things are dying but the leaves are changing and it's APPLE SEASON!!!  Love me some fresh apples.  Ok enough of that back to challenge stuff...I hear you on having a hard time 'holding back' to protect an injury.  It's hard but necessary and it looks like you're striking a good balance.

The tomatoes are slowing down, but, yeah, we still have some. The skins are getting a little tougher as the season winds down, but they still taste better than anything I can get at the store. They actually have flavor :P

Mmmm, apples. Our neighbor has an apple tree full of Golden Delicious apples every year. He doesn't use any pesticides. And every year he complains there's too many to eat and begs us to take some. We're more than happy to help him out. The kids love eating them, and my wife makes a ton of applesauce out of them. Basically, she cores them cooks them in a roaster, and sends them through a food mill to remove the skins. That's it. It's more like apple butter than apple sauce. Good stuff.

It is so hard to not lift more when you think you can. Or run faster. Or, or, or. Challenging myself through training is something I'm much stronger at than challenging myself through nutrition. So, to have to tell myself not to push further is difficult and quite a challenge in itself. If you told me I didn't have to watch what I'm eating, it'd be no big deal. But, to tell me not to train in some way shape or form is quite difficult.

But, with respect to training intensity, I think I came up with something this morning. It was Training Day #1 for the week. I didn't increase the reps. I didn't increase the weights. Instead I decreased the rest time between sets from 1 minute to 45 seconds. I don't know if there will be a huge difference in muscle strength as a result, but from a cardio standpoint it was more challenging. Arms and legs all seem fine. So, I'm gonna go with that for the week.

Other updates: nutrition was really good yesterday and is going well today. Planning meals on Sunday is paying dividends so far.

Planning meals on Sunday is paying dividends so far.

QFT! I've started doing this thing where I only cook my absolute favorite healthy meals OR I cook new, exciting things OR I have a big ass salad. This all helps keep things fresh and peppy. Then again, I'm a planned cooking evangelist at the moment because I just got a couple new cookbooks and there is much food squee. Anyway, nice work! Staying away from the prepared food is money.

Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines