jstanlick: In Recovery

jstanlick

QFT! I've started doing this thing where I only cook my absolute favorite healthy meals OR I cook new, exciting things OR I have a big ass salad. This all helps keep things fresh and peppy. Then again, I'm a planned cooking evangelist at the moment because I just got a couple new cookbooks and there is much food squee. Anyway, nice work! Staying away from the prepared food is money.

Its so much easier to make a healthy choice when its already there.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Hey buddy! You have been amazing at stopping by my the

Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Hey, thanks for stopping by! I try to stop by on people's threads but I sometimes get lax.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

So far the week has been good. Nutrition has been really good and I got an extra workout in last night. I split wood for about a half an hour. Worked up a pretty good sweat, and got some wood for fall campfires.

Today has been teaching my daughter and her teacher about browser compatibility issues and what that means. I'm a little worried that this is the teacher who is tasked with teaching 6th graders at the school about computer usage. But the school year is young, so I'll cut her some slack for now.

Shortening the recovery certainly gets me breathing heavier and burns through the energy stores in the muscles faster. I'm not sure what it does for building absolute strength vs. muscle endurance. But, my body isn't complaining of pain and I feel like I'm doing something. My muscles feel sore a day later, but there's no pain. So, I'm taking that as a good sign and working on program changes starting next week to finish out the challenge with. Yeah, that's a preposition at the end of a sentence...and I don't care. But, I think I will try to keep the core finishers as I think there are going to have a big payoff down the road.

shortening recovery times is classic.  Good moves!  And when it's sooooo hard to squeeze out those last reps, that's good stuff.

stone-cold-laughing.gif

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

shortening recovery times is classic.  Good moves!  And when it's sooooo hard to squeeze out those last reps, that's good stuff.

Well, those last reps are a little harder with the shorter rest times, but I'm still light enough with the weights that I'm not getting to failure on them. But, now at least I feel like I did something. Especially the lunges and jump squats. The glutes feel those more the next day than anything else. Although, my knees are stiffer the next morning from doing lunges than they feel after running. I might have to do those in front of a mirror or something to make sure I've got everything lined up properly.

But, I'm definitely looking at 30 - 45 second rests for the next 4 weeks of the challenge.

• Like 1

So far the week has been good. Nutrition has been really good and I got an extra workout in last night. I split wood for about a half an hour. Worked up a pretty good sweat, and got some wood for fall campfires.

Returning to this for a sec. Not only is chopping wood fun and sexxxy as hell, now you have firewood for the best part of fall! Smell of smoke and leaves, maybe a little hot cider or some roasted yams... winning. J is winning.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Winning? Um, I'm getting there. This whole recovery thing is not a satisfying as new PR's or even kicking my ass in a session. But, it is fall, and that's my favorite time of year. And not just because there's football. The air is always crisp. The trees are brilliant colors. There's camp fires (or at least fireplaces) at night because its not too hot and humid anymore. The kids are back at school learning new things. And Oktoberfest brews are abundant. I love fall.

I'm totally with you and your love for Fall!  It's my favorite time of year too!  I love running in the Fall!!  

You and I can be satisfied with taking it slow this challenge - next time we'll blow out some PRs.  :)

• Like 1

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

"Remember - I'm still the king of the Seven Seas!  And if I wish I can command all the creatures of the sea to attack you - at once!"

Today was the start of my new training program. I can definitely say, I'm not sure the previous 2 weeks prepared much for these next 4 except that my body was feeling better. I feel like I worked harder this morning than the last 2 weeks combined, and I ran out of time to finish. Ouch. But, it's still good as I came out of my training session with nary an injury, and feel like I really did something. There were traditional MRT circuits, Tabata-style MRT circuits and an MCT circuit. I ran out of time for my finisher circuit, but I've always had a love-hate relationship with that particular one, so part of me is thrilled I took too long to decide on the weight for the first circuit. Here was the plan:

Bodyweight Warm-up Circuit 

1. Prisoner Squat – 10 reps 
2. Jumping Jacks – 20 reps
3. Spiderman Climb with Reach – 6 reps per side <-- I definitely need to work on my coordination.
4. 1-Leg RDL – 8 reps per side
5. Close-Grip Pushups – 8 reps (taking 3 seconds to lower)
6. Total Body Extension – 12 reps

The MRT Circuit
No rest between exercises

1A) BB Split Squat – 8 reps per side 
1B) Lat Pulldowns - 8 reps <-- This was the plan, but I looked at the bar and did assisted chin-ups instead.
1C) DB Incline Press – 8 reps
1D) DB Chest-Supported Row – 12 reps
1E) KB Swing – 25 reps 

• Rest 1 minute before repeating 2 more times.

The 20-10 MRT

2A) Lunge Jump x 4 rounds
2B) Decline Pushup x 4 rounds
2C) BGSS x 4 rounds (alternate sides each 20 seconds)
2D) Plank to Triceps Extension <-- These got very hard by the end of round 2.

• Do each exercise for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds. That’s one round.
• No additional rest between rounds.
• Rest 1 minute before moving on to 20-10 MCT.

The 20-10 MCT

3A) Bodyweight Squat x 8 rounds 
3B) RKC Plank x 8 rounds
3C) Total Body Extension x 8 rounds 
3D) Mountain Climbers x 4 rounds

• Do each exercise for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds. That’s one round.
• No additional rest between rounds.

That's all I had time for and quite frankly, more than I had the endurance for. It was quite exhausting and awesome feeling all at the same time.

It's fun to dive into a new routine. Really glad it went well!

It did go well, and it was fun. I'm feeling it tonight already, so tomorrow will be fun. [emoji2]

So, glad I decided to take some weight off the bar in the first circuit. I'd really be hurtin' if I didn't.

• Like 1

Great work on the new routine!  Looks brutal!

Glad to see you're still chugging along!  Nice job on the new routine!  

Thank you both! It certainly gets the heart pumping. But, most importantly, I haven't experienced any pain. Soreness yes, pain no. That's a good thing!

Sorry for the lack of updates folks. What a wild 5 days its been. Everyone else on my team at work is out in training. So, I get to hold down the fort on my own. Plus, yesterday, my daughter finished up a 4 day volleyball tournament whilst still fitting in 2 regular conference games. So, when not at work, I've been playing either chauffeur for my daughter or babysitter for my sons. Whew! Busy, busy, busy. 

So, update time. The first week of the new routine went well. Muscle soreness abounds, but no pain. So, I'll keep things the same this week and we'll see where that goes. My run on Saturday was COLD! On Thursday it was 72 degrees for a high. When I got up to go running on Saturday it was 38 degrees with a wind chill of 27 degrees. I haven't had to worry about wind chill since March...or maybe April, but it's been a while. And it was such a sudden change. But, my pace was pretty good even though I thought I went farther than 3 miles. The colors on the leaves are really starting to show. Another week or two and I think we'll be a the peak of fall color. I love running through the color!

Nutrition has been okay. I'm following my plan pretty well and the carbs are staying down in the 100-120 g/day range. But, the scale claims I haven't done anything in the last 3 weeks. Oh well, it doesn't claim I'm doing bad things so I'm just going to stay with it for this week.

Now I'm off to more running around.

Yea!!! Don't you love crazy fall weather? It's awesome.

Glad your new routine is keeping you happy!!

But best yet...you got to run the office.... Bwaaa haaa haaaa

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Meh, the scale says a lot of things. That's just one measurement. Glad to hear you're sticking to it, even with the crazy.

How'd the kiddo's V-ball team do?

• Like 1

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

So many updates while I've been gone. You guys rock!

I know that weather! I was in Chicago this weekend and got to enjoy some nice October sleet. Good for you toughing it out.

The weather has been a little better this week (last weekend sucked), but I haven't been so tough despite the improvement outside. More on that in a minute.

Yea!!! Don't you love crazy fall weather? It's awesome.

Glad your new routine is keeping you happy!!

But best yet...you got to run the office.... Bwaaa haaa haaaa

I'm not sure if I'm running the office or it's running me. Glad everyone will be back next week.

Meh, the scale says a lot of things. That's just one measurement. Glad to hear you're sticking to it, even with the crazy.

How'd the kiddo's V-ball team do?

Actually, with trying to recover from injury, I'm kind of happy the scale hasn't gone up. Going down would be better, but not regressing is still good.

The cold weather in the morning is a bit of a shock.  But I still love fall!  I need to get out and running more!  Good job for keeping it up!   :)

I'm only getting in one run a week at this point, but my body seems to be thanking me for it. Well, except my lungs that aren't a big fan of the cold air, but what do they know? :D

Yes the recent cold mornings have just served as a reminder that soon my morning workout will be shoveling snow!

Brrrrrrr. Well, at least my lower back and legs will get stronger.

Update has been a long time coming. With the rest of the team out, I'm reminded of what the old job was like. I have been crazy busy and crazy tired. Training has either been half-hearted/half-asleep or just halved due to time constraints. So, I apologize for the lack of updates and am trying to make the rounds to all of your threads to get caught up. 

To make up for -- or at least maintain where I'm at -- the poor training this week, I've tried very hard to stay strict with my diet. When next I check in with the scale we'll see how I've managed with that.

Work, work, work. Doing the work of a whole team is tiring. And one of my teammates predicted it saying, "You know what's gonna happen with just you here, right? Everything is going to happen." He was right, and it's my fault. I found this training for them and I decided it was important enough for them to go to it that I approved them being out at the same time. So, I knew this was coming, but it will pay dividends down the round. I've taken classes from those instructors and I believe they're the best in the database business. The team can't help but learn lots of good stuff from them.

Tonight grandma is making good on her March (and June and then again in September) promise to have the kids over for a night. So, my wife and I are actually going to go out on a date. Does anyone know if there are any good movies out right now? I've got the dinner reservations set, so grandma better not back out again. But its so rare that we can stay out late without having to get back for the kids that I haven't really been paying attention to anything in the theaters that isn't made by Disney. 

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines