jstanlick: In Recovery

jstanlick

The work thing did sound kind of crazy, but you got through it. Looking forward to hearing how you do with the strong lifts. Cutting back the mileage can be tricky for metabolism, but I'm sure you'll figure out a good balance. I'll stand by what I said before...you've worked through some injuries, set off in some new directions, and I think you could really have a great challenge next time around.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

The work thing did sound kind of crazy, but you got through it. Looking forward to hearing how you do with the strong lifts. Cutting back the mileage can be tricky for metabolism, but I'm sure you'll figure out a good balance. I'll stand by what I said before...you've worked through some injuries, set off in some new directions, and I think you could really have a great challenge next time around.

Work can get crazy occasionally, but its more rare with the new(er) gig -- has it been 9 months already?!?! Anyway, October/November is our busy time. Our software is used for people making their benefit elections for the upcoming year. As you can imagine, people get a little peeved if they can't confirm their insurance plan for next year. 

Hopefully the next challenge will provide more lift. Although, I'm going to be starting it grounded. I've got some outpatient surgery tomorrow and I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than 10-15 pounds or do any strenuous exercise for 7-10 days afterwards. My plan is to do a lot of walking for the first week and then get back to my lifting and running the next 5 weeks, picking up where I'll be leaving off tomorrow morning. It should be a fun 6 weeks.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Not knowing where else to put it, I'll put it here until next week.

Lifting continues to progress. I have yet to have a failed set of lifts on Strong Lifts, but I imagine I will during the next challenge. The rows and OHP is starting to feel heavier and I imagine I'll miss some coming soon. The squats, deadlifts and bench are still pretty light. I guess I could've started those higher than what I'm working at. But, like I said in a previous post, I'm very pleased with my form with squats and my bench is good too. I think the deadlift form is coming along, but with this protocol the volume is pretty low so I'm not practicing it as much as my brain wants me to.

Went for a run on Tuesday. I wasn't planning on it, but it was 54 degrees at 5:30 AM. I'm not likely to see that again until March or April so I had to take advantage of it. Even if it was raining. It felt really good to just enjoy some nice weather before it gets ugly.

The scale seems to finally have gotten with the program and has shown a 2 pound drop over the last 2 weeks.This shift from a running heavy training program to a lifting heavy program seems to have affected the metabolism a bit. Right? No. That's not it. It's eating. While I was eating good food, I was eating too much of it. After cutting back on portion sizes and eliminating second portions altogether, the scale is responding.

So, there's that. You have now been updated.

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Good luck with the surgery!

Thanks! Shouldn't be a big deal. Okay, I didn't think it was a big deal, but the doctor handed me all these restrictions for a week. I mean, it's outpatient, should last a total of 20 minutes, and its a dermatologist. How hard can that be to recover from? Maybe I should be more worried, but the worst thing that could go wrong in my mind is an infection after the fact while the skin heals. And it seems like a lot of that is in my control.

are you going to sit out for a while, or do you have a battle log or something?

It took me a while to find my battle log since it had been almost 2 years since I updated it. But, you can find it here:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/18776-jeffs-battle-log

Since the challenge is almost 1 1/2 weeks over and I finally get to start doing stuff again, I figured I'd sit out this challenge. First one in over 2 years. But, that's okay. Right now I'm more about steady progress than new goals. I'll probably create a new challenge after this one's done. It'll be 2015 by then and it will be time for all kinds of new fun.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines