Tzippi Longstockings Starts Again

After many trials and tribulations, I intend to begin again. I have traveled to a distant land, and the strange ways of its inhabitants have inspired me once again to stop making excuses, and to stop letting the inertia of others stop me from moving. My six-week mission:

* Playground/beginner's bodyweight workout 3/week at local park - 3 circuits. (working especially toward proper pull-ups)

* Run/walk 2/ week around the other park's 5K course, cutting down on allowable walk breaks each time.

* 1 big serving of leafy greens 1/day.

Bonus INT quest: Keep up with Japanese study via Anki and at least 10 new kanji/week.

Ninemonth, Wood day, the ten-and-eighth.

Having gone far to find new pupils nearer the mountains, am extremely glad to have packed my rations well today. I am learning the local plants, and have begun to be more confident in my nightly cooking.

Midday rice:

Small onigiri made of imogohan (sweet potato rice) with goma shio (sesame salt)

Hard-boiled chicken egg

1/4 cup hijiki, carrot, and aburaage salad

1/8 cup renkon 

1/8 cup gobo and carrot kinpira

1/8 cup cabbage and other greens stir-fry.

Green salad of lettuce with goma (sesame) dressing

2 squares 75% cacao chocolate

500mL mugicha

I failed to wake early enough to prepare food and to train. Tonight, however, will be training enough, with a famed teacher at the local temple. My muscles will be well worked. I must also walk a far distance to return home, as I am teaching far from where the coaches stop. I must begin to learn their system of measurement, so I will note it here - distance from school to station - 1.4 miles of easy terrain (past shops and rice fields).

I also pored over my tome and deciphered six more of the strange characters - noon, friend, fat, few, pull and heart are now transcribed into my journal for continued study. Combined with the five from Fire day, that makes eleven for this week. My longer rangings are still due, as well as two more training sessions, but I am confident I can do both before the week turns. 

I have found many masters here - I visit one trained in the art of healthful postures tonight, but on Fire day, I was lucky to study under a ceremonial mistress of tea ceremony. My legs' weakness did not betray me, as they had before, but I require more strength and stamina to maintain the proper posture for the ceremony. I will practice more.

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

Incidentally, this, without the renkon or edamame or konnyaku, is what I made last night. Time consuming, but not difficult.

I probably over-rinsed the hijiki, but it tastes fine! A nice, fresh salad that will keep for a few days in the fridge.

An introduction to seaweed, for the interested. 

hijiki2-lg.jpg

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

Ninemonth, Gold day the ten-and-ninth.

Another long journey by coach today, to a distant island. I walked a bit to and from the coach stops, and noted the soreness from last night's training.

Midday rice:

Plain onigiri

Cabbage-and-imo stir fry

Hijiki, carrot, and renkon salad

Two small vegetable sides. One gobo and carrot kinpira, one ?

Hard-boiled chicken egg.

No need to find new characters, but I reviewed what I know of the local tongue. Particularly verbs.

Also discovered a local pamphlet about cooking! Must obtain a copy, for combined cooking/language practice.

Gathered plants for evening rice, including . . . ZUCCHINI! There are a million cucumbers here, but thus is the first time I found zucchini! That said, I do carry a cucumber at all times to appease a local harmful water-spirit. I'm not a fool.

With the food safely stored, I will go to find a place to range. I hope to go 5k tonight, if my knees allow.

Gold day, continued:

Left my lodgings, and followed the river down to the sea. Followed the strand, past fishermen and elderly gentlemen walking tiny dogs. Managed most of it at a trot.

5.57 km in 57 minutes. After a five-minute warmup of brisk walking, jogged until km 3. Walked back along the docks, started jogging once I got back to the river.

Hm. Can't seem to link pictures in the mobile version. Anyway, feeling strong. Wood elf blood is pumping, and the stretching after was heavenly.

Sun day

Looking forward to training at a temple on the mountain tonight. (literally. So . . . Cool!) Made a vegetable curry last night, and had curry scrambled eggs for breakfast. Feeling strong!

Managed both ranging, and two of three weight trainings. On track with study and leafy greens, as well!

Nine month. Fire day, the twenty-and-third

Another ranging across the 12 hills and back. Feeling weaker today- forced to slow more often. Stretching now, and thinking about a hearty dinner. Perhaps I've eaten too little.

Midday rice was curry, but breakfast missed. Bad.

Nine month. Water day the twenty-and-fourth.

Today only marginally successful as far as exercise goes. Morning was spent making breakfast (curry eggs, toast, and tea), and making it to the bus on time. Lunch was good- onigiri, curry, hardboiled egg, hijiki salad, and two veg sides. By the time I got around to my bodyweight work, it was twilight.

I walked to my workout spot, but had not remembered the dangers of the grove as darkness falls. The predators were circling*, and I fled after my second circuit.

*okay, mosquitoes. But seriously. Japanese mosquitoes? LOVE! ME!

Nine month. Wood day the Twenty-and-fifth.

Well, after last night's only semi-success, today is feeling good. It's a new year, I had a good, filling mid-day rice:

Small onigiri

Vegetable curry

Hard boiled egg

Beans and konbu 

Hijiki salad

Blanched spinach with sesame salt

All cooked at home except the beans and konbu. 

Beverages:

630 mL mugicha

and so far, 600mL of water, plus 10 oz green tea (I know, I know . . . but metric is hard, if it isn't written on things.)

While breakfast was bad (woke up late, got Mikyan meronpan from the konbeni), I resisted the supersweet and creamy coffee confections which have been seducing me since my arrival in this land. Wjile I'm not adding it as another challenge for this six weeks, I will try to limit them to maybe two or three a week. I love the green tea which is plentiful here, hot and iced, as well as the cold barley tea which is the flavor of summer and autumn. Both are zero-calorie and have healthful properties, so I will increase those (and of course, keep up on water) instead of resorting to the sugary cans of calories.

I have been at least half- successful with my challenge since I last posted. I went for a run on Saturday the 27, though I walked much more than I wanted to. I did complete the whole course, though. And that's the most important thing. Then the lunar complaint hit, and I did nothing until last night, when I finally (!) did a bodyweight playground workout, including a jog to the park to do it, and bench jumps rather than step-ups! Keeping up with the kanji study is no problem so far, and the greens are pretty natural (it helps when two of the things in my bento are a cabbage-based stir fry and a hijiki salad. Add a small thing of romaine or other lettuce and I'm good! 

Tenth Month, Fireday the first (of his name? guess what I'm reading)

Ran upriver instead of down. Managed 5.3K in 50:05. This means I might be getting ever so slightly faster, though most who run would consider whatIdo something between a "shuffle" and a "mosey". It was a nice enough way, and I ran into many of my students, heading home. Some were shocked to see me. Whether from general surprise that teachers exist outside of school, brain-bleach issues involved with old ladies in spandex (I am 31, after all), or just the usual slight start at seeing a foreigner doing something "normal", I don't know. Two boys almost fell off their bikes! 

One thing to take into account here, in a world (In a world . . .) without daylight savings time is that it is dark early. Proper dark at 18;30. In October. This is strange to me, but just one of the many strangenesses. I suppose I'll have to add some reflective gear to my kit. I think I can get it free from the mayor's office. . . 

Midday rice again good:

Brown rice and quinoa

Vegetable curry

HB egg

Cabbage and Satsumaimo stir fry

Hijiki salad

Mysterious vegetable side. Yellow. A bit chewy. Quite good.  Maybe some sort of squash?

Green tea

worst. "daily". battle log. evar.

I'll update when i get home.

Okay, going to catch up for the last few days. Yesterday put ten new kanji in the book, and did the South Fork 5K.

So far this week (Week 4): 

Monday: Ate okay and was generally agreeable. Caught up to Anki and reviewed a lot. Recovered from Yom Kippur fast of Saturday and Childrens' Halloween party of Sunday. Japanese lesson. Fun with time.

Tuesday: Ate pretty well, including going shopping and making a big multi-part Japanese dinner for husband and self. Added a new 10 kanji to the book and did a brief run-through study of them. At home, went for one of my 5K (South Fork). Had a lovely time, all round.

Wednesday: Ate very well. Started off the day with Overnight Oats (would be better with chia and some more crunch). Good bento lunch, including salad. Got done teaching early (Hakata), so did playground bodyweight work early. Rocked all three circuits. Dinner at Hamazushi with pretty good choices, all told (Daigaku imo not ideal, but probably the best 'dessert'). Bedtime yoga, went to bed early. Sleep was still meh. 

Today: Overnight oats again (much better with chia seeds and shredded coconut added. still needs more salt. maybe that "saute in butter" thing could make the oats a bit toastier and nuttier? Or just add some peanut butter) Had a sudden, sharp pain in my (right?) side this morning while eating breakfast. Not sure what's going on with my guts. I may throw out everything in the fridge and start again. Hm.

Relaxation yoga tonight, which will be lovely. Deciding whether to do my second weekly run today, before yoga, or to go shopping, etc, cook a bit. Then do a run Saturday. Maybe both? three runs this week would be pretty great. Hoping husband is down for a quickie trip to Matsuyama on Sunday/Monday. It's a short, easy train ride, and I think a bus could take us to the Dogo area, where I'd like to stay. Because Dogo Onsen.

dogo_onsen_iii_by_frenchbear-d319a19.jpg

Tenth month, Fire day the fourteenth.

Well, my planned exploration of the neighboring city was stopped by a monstrous storm buffeting the island. Luckily, this peninsula is protected from harm by mountains. Most storms blow upwards from the south, and wear themselves out over Ishizuchisan. Which is what happened to this waspish tempest. My ranging on Earth day was unaffected, in fact, the powerful winds were invigorating, and I put in better effort than I have for a while. I trekked the twelve hills on my way out, then concentrated on consistent speed (or lack thereof) on the return trip, passing by the elevations. All the eagles and (cranes?herons?) were out to stock up before the storm, so it was a great day to be out.

The next day (Sun day), i completed my training in the clearing behind the temple, with enough confidence to wonder if I need to make it more difficult. studying the training texts, I have decided to modify the lunges to a Bulgarian split squat, and add standard squats in as well, as well as attempting greater heights in my Climb and Jump skill training. (memo: buy folding chair or stool, and a small tarpaulin or similar)

Yesterday (Moon day), the storm hit in earnest, and we stayed in our lodgings, eating and resting. I may have developed a smaller appetite than I used to have, and apparently can no longer stomach prodigious quantities of sweets (I hope this is true). If not, I have another reason to eschew them, at least in abundance. My taste for sugar formerly knew almost no bounds. I also felt almost angry at the storm, for keeping me inside when my body longed to be running, or pulling, or pushing, or moving in general. 

Being woken this morning did not give me cause for joy, however, as I slept ill. But I tried to summon all my pleasure and excitement of the last few days into attacking my training, and I dutifully reported to the training ground, where I proceeded to do every element of my training, through discomfort, anger, and exhaustion. I felt better coming back, and while I am still very tired, I am very glad I did it.

tumblr_n8bb6nIg261sgzwabo1_250.gif

This is me being a dork and learning how to use gifs. Don't judge me, I was never taught.

Okay, I learned to insert gifs and am finishing up my first completed six-week challenge! I am extremely excited, and am looking forward to the next, though I'm not sure what to do just yet. My goals will be similar, just more.

RUNNING GOAL - this time, did 2 5K/week. Felt good. I now, most of the time, actually want to run. To keep going, I think I'll bump up my weekend run to be longer each time, and do two weekday runs that are shorter (essentially get up, walk 5 minutes, run as much as I can in 20, walk 5 minutes, shower and go to school. Maybe play with fartlek or intervals. I can't hear my watch beep when I'm listening to music, though, and I really like listening to music while running. I need something that will buzz instead. Maybe my phone can do that? Mem: check for an app.

STRENGTH GOAL - this time, playground workout 3x/week. I'm getting a bit better, though I think my core weakness is still limiting some things. Need to get back to plank. I will switch to the beginner's track of the Start Body Weight program. I will use this coming "rest time" between challenges to determine my starting level on the progressions and really work on form. I'm not sure if this will be problematic in terms of time, so I'll need to time myself the first few, and figure out how to keep track of my successes. I really like morning exercise, but reality is reality. I may get up at 5:45, but there's no way in hell I can pop out of bed at 4:30. Nnn hnn.

DIET GOAL: This time I did 1 serving of greens 1/day. way too easy. It was a good reminder, but I need to do more than just that. I'm waffling between trying to keep a detailed food account for six weeks straight (with or without a tracker like MyFitnessPal) or trying to encourage myself to cook by giving myself points per dish/meal prepared throughout the week. With bonus points of ones that are veg heavy, fish, or otherwise "good". I should also work on putting my new recipes into My Fitness Pal, though right now I'm mad at it. I need to really sit down with it and input a bunch of my new foods' labels, I guess.

LIFE GOAL: Last time, I really worked on kanji learning (and by extrapolation, Anki and Textfugu study). I would like to continue, maybe, but I'd also like to work on the house, learn to be a better housekeeper by building myself a daily and weekly to-do list. Of course, I'd love it if my husband were also to take some of that, and I'm sure he will, so would I get points for "stuff getting done"? Seems like I should only get points for things I do. Maybe I could add in "writing letters" and "knitting neccessary/gift things" and "mending" and stuff, that I sometimes need a boot up the bum to do? 

Maybe someday . . . sledgehammers!

Reminds me of Hiro Protagonist's "redneck katana".

Maybe? For Tabatas or Intervals? or even yoga.

http://www.gymboss.com/

Today, I ate a green salad for lunch, and studied my Japanese flashcards. Tonight, I will go shopping to obtain items to jumpstart my protein intake and revitalize my bentos!

Because macros. Yup, I'm following SheHulk down that rabbit hole. Yay!

All right, food for today:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/TzippiLongstockingsCalories: 1841/1681 (160 over)

Carbs: 149/210 (61 under)

Fats: 108/47 (61 over)

Protein: 58/105 (47 under)

Sugar: 38/45 (7 under)

Not bad, considering I had a curry pan for breakfast and didn't decide to try the macros thing until this afternoon.

Things to learn- how to get more protein, less fat. Also put a new recipe into my fitness pal that I hope to use often: Salmon patties made with boiled potato rather than breadcrumbs. Yeah, it's all carbs, but apparently is a bit better. I used this recipe: http://www.aibento.net/2011/01/tuna-patties-bento/

Okay. New list of things to learn:

How to cook with less oil. . Here in Japan, there are a million "pan liner" things available, but I don't like the waste. However, I think my pans are nonstick, so I may just try it without (except for things like eggs), and see how it goes, or use the "swipe slightly oily paper towel over it" method of oiling a pan.

How to "fill in" missing macros at the end of the day, especially proteins without adding more fats. Some protein powder would probably help, as could learning to eat egg whites without the yolk. Maybe I can change up some of my egg recipes to be half whole eggs/half egg whites? Or 75/25? But then I feel bad about wasting the yolks. :/

How to keep track of my reps in Starting Bodyweight without cooling off too much (I'm going to be doing them outside, at a park, and it's starting to get cold. Keeping track of a notebook, or app on my phone, may be my only option. Wish I had a tape recorder hooked up to a bluetooth. I dunno. I'll work on it.

How to dress for cold-weather exercise. I usually just stop exercising this time of the year, unless I'm already in an indoor class, but here, I have started outside and I intend to continue (I can't hang a pull up bar anywhere in my apartment, and I can't work out two feet from my sleeping husband, one foot from the kotatsu holding all our electronics. I am very clumsy, and that is a disaster waiting to happen. so i need to find some of that wicking/heat retaining spandywear in long sleeves and gloves. I'll also use handknits for outer layer, if necessary (I need to finish my head/earband).

How to get up in the morning. Anymore, I wake up before my alarm most days, which means my eyes open naturally around 5:40. But for some stupid reason, I don't get out of bed, get dressed, and go work out. I think it's a combination of guilt (I feel like I have no time with my husband, and even though we're asleep, it could still count as "cuddle time" at least( and fear of the cold. I need to find some thing gloves that would allow pull ups. Hm. So i need to find a sporting goods store or something online.

How to buy lowfat milk and yogurt. This I have taken care of - I looked up the kanji I needed and took a picture with my phone.

Went for the 12 Hills Run, stretched out for 15 minutes, headed for a shower now. Felt sort of listless and cold all day, but I feel nice now! Now to protein up for dinner!

Each "hill" is one of these:

DSC_0258_zps9e750df7.jpg

Food for today:

Calories: 1823/1681 (142 over)

Carbs: 208/210 (2 under)

Fats: 70/42 (23 over)

Protein: 103/105 (2 under)

Sugar: 109/45 (64 over)

So fats and sugars are really tough for me. That said, this is only day 2 of trying macros, and I haven't been planning very much. Some protein powder will help, but I'm excited about trying this new method!

(Not sure how to do this in MFP. Since I'm using IIFYM calculations, that take into account how many workouts you do, I'm adding my workouts to MFP after all the food so it doesn't effect the totals.)

SHUT UP, MONKEYS!

So Buddhist teaching names the myriad distractions thrown put by a mind fighting meditation "idea monkeys", or " mind horses". I find my monkeys are very active, at all times. Today, when deciding to go try my new Body weight regimen, three or four ganged up on me at once.

ME: Okay, I've had two days of rest, and got back to it yesterday with a run that felt great! Let's keep going!

JUSTIFICATION MONKEY: Come on, you're going to do yoga tonight! How crazy is it to do a BW right before that? Come on.

GUILT MONKEY: You still haven't prepared dinner or tomorrow's lunch. What will you and your husband eat? Shame on you, shame on your cow!

INDULGENCE MONKEY: Sweetie, it's that special moon time. You should relax, eat ice cream, and do what chick flicks have taught you all women do.

[indulgence Monkey is kind of a hippie and uses euphemisms like "moon time"]

ME: But I actually have an easier cycle when I exercise. / .

INDULGENCE MONKEY: Hush your gob and go watch internet videos!

STRESS-INDUCED CATATONIA MONKEY: I have the longest name and the longest list! There's so much you need to do! But which first? Mmm. Maybe dinner? No. Write letters. Or start the blog you keep promising people! Or do something about your hair! Study Japanese! Lesson plan! Buy things to be able to do any of those things! Go all the ways at once!

All my monkeys made decent points. My monkeys are smart. And Guilt Monkey and SIC Monkey bring up points I do need to think about. But I'm done with the workout, and have an hour before I need to leave for yoga. So shut up, Monkeys. You won't stop me.

Torn apart by Idea Horses Prayer:

G-d give me the STR to overcome mind monkeys,

The INT to remember and triage real neccesities of life,

And the WIS to tell the difference in this "Junkyard set from 'Labyrinth', you know, with the muppet and the replica of Sarah's room, but it's not quite right" that is my mind.

Amen.

• Like 2