AnnieP gets back to basics

Time for a quick update. :) I'm still here in Southern Indiana for a couple of more days, but I wanted to keep up with the thread. :)

So, went for a two mile walk with my dad and his monster dog Wednesday. Lol, Barney (the dog) isn't mean, but he is huge and still a puppy, and very rambunctious (yeah, we'll go with that) unless he gets to go for a walk. No other exercise. No sugar. Half a glass of wine.

Thursday, my parents and my brother and his wife and I went across the river into Kentucky, to visit the Kentucky Horse Park. It's huge, and we walked all over the place. I don't know exactly how much I walked, but it was definitely a lot. No sugar, but I did end up eating gluten -- not a challenge goal to avoid, but still not on my diet, so to speak. It would have been fine, if I'd stopped at the sandwich on rye for lunch. But Dad picked up a pizza for dinner, and, yeah. I ate a couple (okay, 3) pieces. And a glass of wine.

One thing to note, I don't drink much wine at home, but I often have a glass with dinner at my parents' house. Availability, I suppose?

Anyway. Friday, it rained all day, so no walk. The dog was incorrigible, as a result. :/ I didn't do any other exercise either (I'm not doing well on that front, right now. If you couldn't tell.) Spent the day with Mom, though. Went to the mall and got a dress for Sunday. No sugar.

Now, Sunday, my parents are getting married. Okay, they've actually been married for 49 years, but it was a civil ceremony. Mom and Dad are getting their marriage blessed by a priest on Sunday. It's a Catholic thing. I told Mom that after 49 years, it was obvious that God has blessed their marriage. But this is important to them, and they're calling it a wedding, so there you go.

And I'm only getting into this because today (Saturday) was the big barbecue/party at my brother's house. I went for another 2 mile walk with Dad and the big dog in the morning. I ate pretty light early in the day, because I knew that there was going to be a lot of food later on.

Yeah. May as well confess this up front: I drank a Coke. First soda in nearly 2 years. I could make all sorts of excuses, but I won't. Besides, it made me feel pretty nauseous, so I don't imagine that I'll want another one any time soon. :/ I ate a brownie and chocolate ice cream too -- also a bad idea. As for alcohol, I had about 2 1/2 glasses of wine. Not a lot, really, but again, I don't really drink.

TTomorrow is the wedding, though I expect the party afterwards to be much more subdued than tonight 's was. We'll see, though.

This post managed to escape being eaten by Tapatalk.

• Like 2

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

It sounds like you're doing really well for being home and celebrating!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

First Coke in two years?! Damn that's awesome. I know how bad the stuff is for me but a glass or two still sneaks in every month. Used it to clean my toilet this week and after seeing what it did to that I'm really not tempted to have any anytime soon. Everything else looks great. A glass of wine here and there, bah, it's nothing to worry about and it's suppose to be good for you. And enjoy yourself, I don't see anything that you should be worried about. And you can get back on track when your home and have better control of your environment. Of course that's not to say eat the entire wedding cake and guzzle down an entire bottle of champaign, just keep doing what your doing.

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

The Coke I feel guilty about. The rest, not so much. :) Besides, I got my "punishment" almost immediately after finishing it - felt rather sick.

The reception was a buffet at a local farm restaurant. Southern Indiana is right where the South meets the Midwest. But I managed to resist the fried chicken (that was not easy, by the way). I had ham, and green beans cooked with... ham. Mashed potatoes (no gravy). The very best coleslaw I've ever had, and a Waldorf salad. And blackberry cobbler with Blue Bell ice cream. Iced tea to drink. They call it "unsweet" tea. The soda made me queasy just looking at it, so I am not worried about craving it anymore.

It was good seeing my family again. Dad has managed to hook me on a new tv show: Grimm. How have I not heard of this show before? *shaking my head*

It should be noted that my dad is responsible for issuing me my original nerd card. He's 71 years old. Has seen every Star Trek movie in the theater -- more than once. Declares Serenity to be the "best movie ever made" to anyone that will listen. He had Skyrim on preorder, so that he could get it delivered the DAY it came out. I remember when I was little (once, long long ago) and he would dial into the computer at work (at Honeywell) from home so he and I could play Colossal Cave Adventure.

So I am nerded out, and sugared out, and ready to get back into a real routine again. (Yeah, I'll give up the sugar, but never the nerd!)

Roommate and I have discussed it, and tomorrow we are going to start another Whole30, just to get back on track. :)

• Like 4

AnnieP (respawned)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

One thing to note, I don't drink much wine at home, but I often have a glass with dinner at my parents' house. Availability, I suppose?

Same with me and my parents. They were visiting this weekend for Thanksgiving and I got my month's worth of wine in. :-p I almost never drink, and they bring two bottles of wine with them per day of their visit. Crickey.

Good luck with Whole30!

• Like 1

Love that your dad started you on the road to nerdom! 1000 will power for resisting fried chicken.

Minion-Cheer.gif

• Like 1

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

Well, I'm back home again. Traveling was an ordeal -- glad it's over. :) The scale says 177, when it was saying 173-174 before I left. I know some of that is water retention, and the rest... was honestly expected. Not bad, really. :)

Started on my Whole30 this morning. Scrambled eggs for breakfast and a sliced prickly pear for breakfast. I've never had the prickly pear fruit before, it's... interesting. The leaves of the cactus (known as nopales, around here) are pretty tasty sliced and cooked in rice or eggs, or covered in chile verde. So, when the CSA gave us the fruit, I was interested to try them. Kinda reminds me of a less intense kiwifruit -- but with seeds. Lots and lots of hard, inedible seeds. a quick Google search told me I would be okay if I swallowed them -- which is good, 'cause I think I did swallow some. Not my favorite fruit eating experience, but at least the taste was good, even if I did have to fight with the fruit. I've got 2 more, and I'm not sure I want them. :nonchalance:

Well, it's early yet here. I'll check back later today or tomorrow with a regular update. Have a good Wednesday (or Thursday, depending on where you are). :D

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

Sounds like you have an awesome dad. Hope my kid looks back with the sentimentally about me when he grows up. How did you get started with the Whole 30? Got the book "It Starts With The Food" and have gotten about half way through without much explanation about how it works. Have you done it before? Is it difficult? Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

I first heard about the Whole 30 from an offhand comment on a blog. I was researching another diet/way of eating, and one of the commenters talked about the Whole30 as a better, and cheaper, alternative - no supplements to buy, etc.

I went to the website and researched it - and realized that I had heard of the paleo diet before - from an old website called "Beyond Vegetarianism". I did do a Whole30 a few months later, but not until about halfway through my first challenge here when Hazard helped me see I was sabotaging myself with all the sugar I was eating.

Is it hard? Yes and no. Sugar cravings went away after about a week, though the first two days were intense. The hardest part foodwise was giving up the cheese. I was, and still am to some degree, addicted to cheese.

The next hardest part was feeling as though I was isolated from my friends and roommate during mealtimes. Preparing my food took considerably more effort than theirs did, and they were often finished and on to the next thing before I could even have a chance to start my meal.

The positives: I lost weight without paying any attention at all to the amount of food I ate. Of course, I ate mostly veggies and fruit, with a little bit of meat and lots of eggs and almonds. My dental health improved significantly, as did my mood.

I felt that some of the restrictions were arbitrary - potatoes and peanuts, especially. I see that they now allow potatoes, which is good. I will probably eat peanuts as well this time around, as well as use butter to cook with.

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

until about halfway through my first challenge here when Hazard helped me see I was sabotaging myself with all the sugar I was eating.

Sugary foods are just kinda blah when trying to cut body fat. They're not satiating for very long. I tend to get hungry again pretty soon after eating foods that are mostly sugar with little else in them. Which means cravings; which mean either being miserably hungry, or eating more calories than planned. Both of those options suck. So when I'm on reduced calories I focus on more satiating foods.

But it's all about current goals. I'm by no means against eating sugar. I'm eating tons of it right now while bulking. When I go into a cut again though - trying to drop body fat - the sugary foods will mostly disappear from my diet. I adjust my dietary lifestyle to support whatever I'm trying to do right now. Sugary foods aren't bad in and of themselves. Sugars just tend to be a point of sabotage when trying to drop weight.

-

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

There is only one god, its name is death; and there is only one thing we say to death: "Not today"

Sugary foods are just kinda blah when trying to cut body fat. They're not satiating for very long. I tend to get hungry again pretty soon after eating foods that are mostly sugar with little else in them. Which means cravings; which mean either being miserably hungry, or eating more calories than planned. Both of those options suck. So when I'm on reduced calories I focus on more satiating foods.

-

And that was exactly my problem. It isn't the candy bar that's the issue. It's the next one, and the cravings that result. And the hungry / cranky / eat ALL THE FOOD stuff that comes with it. If I recall correctly, my issue at the time was that I was eating 1700 calories, and having a hard time with hunger and satiety and staying at goal.
  • Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

One of these days I'm gonna eat a prickly pear.

Do yourself a favor, and wash it well before peeling it (hairlike cactus spines) and then cut it lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. I Google 'd it and that would have made my life a whole lot easier. :D

AnnieP (respawned)

oh, so, it's friday, and I just wanted to say HI.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Glad to see you're doing well.

Cutting out sugar is so hard. I'm about to put in place a system of cutting it (processed stuff - couldn't live without fruit) out. I'm treating it like quitting smoking - mainly because i do it when stressed. Also because i was dumb enough to make this decision in the lead up to Christmas. Yay for summer fruit.

this post avoided the black hole of typing on a phone. tapatalk

• Like 1

Twitter: dianakdrury Instagram: dianakdrury
Fitbit

How has it gone since you got home?

I've been trying to get back to healthy food (my parents eat a lot of bread and pasta and sugar). And I have been slowly adding exercises back to my routine.

I got blindsided at work the other day with an offer (plea) for me to step back up into management for at least a month. I'd stepped down a couple of years ago due to health issues (related to my head injuries). I said yes, after a bit of wheedling -- though I am not sure if it's really a good idea.

My supervisor originally said that it would be temporary, but she keeps lengthening the timeline (it's now indefinite). I hear Lando Calrissian's voice in my head, "This deal is getting worse and worse all the time..."

Okay, it's not really that bad, :D but I can't help but feel as though I might have made a deal with the dark side. :P One thing for sure, I don't think I can do the Whole 30 right now, with my schedule in an uproar and the added stress of relearning a new (old) position. Something had to give, and that was it.

As far as exercise goes, I am back to my 10 second dead hangs and pushups. Squats and planks are next on my list. I'll get there, just need to navigate through this detour. :)

• Like 2

AnnieP (respawned)

Hope the job situation all works out for the best. Congrats on the pushups, they are a great exercise

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

I LOVE that Robot Chicken skit... :)

AnnieP (respawned)

hey, congrats (?) on the request to step up to management. I love that they are recognizing you, even if you are on the fence about the job.

your push-ups are awesome! do you have weekend plans? because I'm asking you to be my date to the assassins' mini challenge.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/55406-mini-challenge6-shredder/

can you fit in some more push-ups?

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines