• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Odango

Anyone has experience in Hung Gar Kung Fu? Choosing my Kung Fu style...

Dear NF Monks,

I am looking for a good Kung Fu school.

I really wished to learn Wing Chun Kung Fu but there's apparently no school anymore in Edinburgh.

However, I have found a Hung Gar school and a White Crane school. Both seem well organised, welcoming places and I would be more attracted to the Hung Gar, but I really dont know much about either.

Anyone has advice/experience in these Kung Fu styles???

Many thanks!

PS: I'm a 25 year old woman, didn't like Judo at all, quite enjoyed my little experiences with Karate and Kick Boxing, if that helps you advise me on which style could be best.

As with any style, first thing you should do is talk to the schools and try out a class. I (and quite a few other monks, I think) see not offering a free class to a potential student as kind of shifty. I'm also not a big fan of contracts, probably because my dojo doesn't do them :)

As far as the styles themselves, I know that the style of karate I study (Okinawan Goju-ryu) was heavily influenced by White Crane. On that note, if you'd like to take a look at Goju-ryu, it looks like there's a dojo in Edinburgh (http://sgka.org/Home.aspx). You did say you enjoyed karate, so I'm just going to shamelessly promote my style XD

But honestly? The most important thing is to find a dojo where you enjoy being there and you get along with the sensei. My dojo feels like a second family and I've only been there ~6 months. If I didn't like going, I wouldn't be half as motivated as I am to keep studying.

Good luck! Hope I helped a bit!

• Like 1

Don't know if you've seen Legend of Aang but most of the earth bending in that series is Hung Gar. The emphasis of both on hand trapping/standing joint locks can either be none or extreme, depending on the instructor. I'd recommend hitting them both up for free lessons with their regular class to see if they are for you. In fact, I would recommend you do that with every school in your area.

http://www.yhge.co.uk/

http://www.whitecranescotland.com/

In case you hadn't come across their sites. I think those are their sites, anyway. To be honest they both sound pretty corny, but the white crane place less so. And the crane place offers a full month for free, which is cool.

You mentioned you like karate and kickboxing, have you considered tae kwon do? Google maps has something like 5 or 6 tkd places in and around your area.

• Like 1

As with any style, first thing you should do is talk to the schools and try out a class. I (and quite a few other monks, I think) see not offering a free class to a potential student as kind of shifty. I'm also not a big fan of contracts, probably because my dojo doesn't do them :)

As far as the styles themselves, I know that the style of karate I study (Okinawan Goju-ryu) was heavily influenced by White Crane. On that note, if you'd like to take a look at Goju-ryu, it looks like there's a dojo in Edinburgh (http://sgka.org/Home.aspx). You did say you enjoyed karate, so I'm just going to shamelessly promote my style XD

But honestly? The most important thing is to find a dojo where you enjoy being there and you get along with the sensei. My dojo feels like a second family and I've only been there ~6 months. If I didn't like going, I wouldn't be half as motivated as I am to keep studying.

Good luck! Hope I helped a bit!

Thank you so much, it does help!

I think you're right, I need to test where I feel the most at ease. I always stopped after a few sessions because I felt really self-conscious and uncomfortable.

I might give a try to this dojo, I think I really want to give Chinese martial arts a serious try but who knows, Karate might be my thing (or this dojo might be awesome)! :) 

Don't know if you've seen Legend of Aang but most of the earth bending in that series is Hung Gar. The emphasis of both on hand trapping/standing joint locks can either be none or extreme, depending on the instructor. I'd recommend hitting them both up for free lessons with their regular class to see if they are for you. In fact, I would recommend you do that with every school in your area.

http://www.yhge.co.uk/

http://www.whitecranescotland.com/

In case you hadn't come across their sites. I think those are their sites, anyway. To be honest they both sound pretty corny, but the white crane place less so. And the crane place offers a full month for free, which is cool.

You mentioned you like karate and kickboxing, have you considered tae kwon do? Google maps has something like 5 or 6 tkd places in and around your area.

Thank you so much for looking al these up, it's really too kind! I actually stumbled upon these two websites, hence my question about these two styles.

Had to look up the meaning of corny ^_^ they do, don't they, haha! I'm not convinced that's how they actually are IRL at all, I think it's just communication.

Thank you for suggesting Tae Kwon Do, as I said above, I'm really interested in Chinese traditional martial arts, but definitely open to other arts.

I'll give a go at all these places, should be a great place to start from! Thank you so much both!!

I practice Northern Shaolin Kung Fu, but we have on occasion dabbled with Hung Gar elements and several classmates have practiced Hung Gar as well.  As I understand it, it is a shorter style, which is normal for a Southern style (which it is).  So expect less tornado kicks and the like and more hand/arm work, which sounds up your alley as Wing Tsun is also a shorter style.  I also believe that one of the basic characteristics is having a strong root (basically stance, though it means more than just that), so you'll be doing lots of Horse stance.  And it is largely an external style, so lots of combative applications.   

• Like 1

I practice Northern Shaolin Kung Fu, but we have on occasion dabbled with Hung Gar elements and several classmates have practiced Hung Gar as well.  As I understand it, it is a shorter style, which is normal for a Southern style (which it is).  So expect less tornado kicks and the like and more hand/arm work, which sounds up your alley as Wing Tsun is also a shorter style.  I also believe that one of the basic characteristics is having a strong root (basically stance, though it means more than just that), so you'll be doing lots of Horse stance.  And it is largely an external style, so lots of combative applications.   

Thank you Jaex! That's extremely helpful :)  I'm planning on trying out my nearest Hung Gar school next Monday, hope I like it there and don't get my usual self-conscious/feeling-out-of-place syndrom.

The next 14 days are dojos and martial art schools try outs for me. I want to take control! :D

Thanks for your advice guys!

I chose the White Crane Kung Fu because they're really nice people, the workout is hard and I feel that I am training well there. Also, it's at a walking distance from my flat, which is a huge bonus point because buses are expensive here!

Can't wait to see what a few months and a year of regular practice does to me :)

• Like 1

This is completely off-topic (well, I'll make a reference to topic, I promise), but your city is such a lovely place. I was in Europe for the first time this spring, and spent a good week in Edinburgh. Hiking up Arthur's Seat was easily one of the best things I did all semester. Seeing the panorama view of Scotland really drove home the point that I wasn't in Kansas anymore (not that I've ever been to Kansas, but I digress).

Anyhow, where are the martial arts schools there? I wasn't really looking, given my short stay, but I don't recall seeing a single one, which would have caught my eye.

• Like 1

This is completely off-topic (well, I'll make a reference to topic, I promise), but your city is such a lovely place. I was in Europe for the first time this spring, and spent a good week in Edinburgh. Hiking up Arthur's Seat was easily one of the best things I did all semester. Seeing the panorama view of Scotland really drove home the point that I wasn't in Kansas anymore (not that I've ever been to Kansas, but I digress).

Anyhow, where are the martial arts schools there? I wasn't really looking, given my short stay, but I don't recall seeing a single one, which would have caught my eye.

Haha! I actually moved to Edinburgh only two months ago - from Lyon, so not that far but the change is still huge :D - it is a wonderful city, not just to visit but also to live in! I'm loving it!

Only one martial art school I tried had its own location, others just use community centers' facilities throughout the city, so you wouldn't notice anything from the street. Also, they're not in the historical center, so mostly you wouldn't go to those neighbourhoods if you only spend a week here. They're definitely discreet ^_^