An opportunity to (ex-)change

Hello, fellow nerds! 

I'm Lilia and I'm a new recruit from Finland. I am a 22-year old girl and a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. I have been chubby my whole life and sports have never really been my thing. So far my passion has been rather in the field of music than in exercising. I used to be really good in comparing myself to others and feeling inferior. 

At the moment I'm in Amsterdam doing my exchange studies. The city is full of sporty people and indeed the main way to move from one place to another is by bike. I love biking around the city! The food is not healthy, though. I was on a student trip last weekend and something inside me snapped. I don't want to eat french fries for lunch. I don't want to eat white bread for breakfast. I crave fruits, vegetables, berries - real food! The next day I stumbled on Nerd Fitness and found my long-lost motivation to start improving myself and my life again. I found hope - hope that I can really level up my life! 

The life of an exchange student can easily be a lot of partying and drinking. I want to enjoy my time here, party and get more confident in being around new people - however, I also want to feel happy, healthy and comfortable in my own skin. I want to feel confident (and look good) naked. I also want to look better when I go back home on christmas than what I looked like when I left. What I am looking for is a balance between the social aspect of the exchange student life, healthy eating and exercise. I want to make memories, not gain weight while drinking myself into oblivion. I'm better than that, and hangover is not that comfortable anyway. 

Finding a balance won't be easy. I will sometimes eat unhealthy food and get drunk. However, I am in this for the long haul now. I really want to improve my life and my body and when I slip, I'll get up again. After all, what did Frodo do after he succumbed to the temptation to put the ring in his finger? He continued his journey. 

I have a goal now. I want to be able to make a pull-up one day. I've never been able to do it before and it won't be easy to get there, but I will work towards it and one day I will be able to do it. I want to be stronger than I was yesterday. I want to find a way of excercising that suits me and that I look forward to doing! 

• Like 1

Level 3 Hobbit Adventurer

Challenges: 1 2 Current

Accountability group: The Cutlasses      

STR 4 | STA 5 | DEX 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 | CHA 5 

Wow, how serendipitous was that!!

I'm so glad you found NF -- welcome!!

Your epiphany sounds amazing. That wanting better for yourself is such a charged feeling. When we can let go of the 'others' we compete with and really be connected to ourselves, it's worth everything.

One pull up -- sweet goal!!! You'll find a lot of people working on that very same thing. There are progression exercises that can help you work up to one. Check out these threads and see if there's something you can take from it and make it work for you.

So! What else do you have in mind? You'll find a lot of different ways to accomplish your goals on this site. REMEMBER -- do whatever you want and find what works for you. Noone else, you!

Okay, poke around, have fun and PM me anytime you want. I hope this is a place you will come to over and over again. We're on your side, always!

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On